• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Touhou Super Smash Battles On Indiegogo

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A unique project has found its way to Indiegogo. Indie game developers From Soy Sauce are trying to create a unique game that combines Touhou and Smash into one experience, Touhou Super Smash Battles.
For those of that may not know what Touhou is, it is commonly know as the "Touhou Project" and is a Japanese dōjin game series that is focused on "Bullet Hell" games. These have all been developed by ZUN, the one man behind Team Shanghai Alice. The series is even in the Guinness World Records for being the "most prolific fan-made shooter series". These "Bullet Hell" games, also known as manic shooters require the player to dodge overwhelming numbers of enemy projectiles and take extreme reactions times to be able to play.

Currently on Indiegogo, Touhou Super Smash Battles looks to "Touhou-fy" Super Smash Bros as others have done to various games like Super Marisa Land, Touhouvania, Nitroid, Tacoman, and Megamari. The game is set to include wave dashing and lag canceling mechanics as well as some unique mechanics of its own like Free Float where all characters can float around similar to Peach, wake-up grabs, air grabs, Spell Cards, and a unique grab mechanic called Overwhelm. All of these are shown off in the video for the project.

They have also mentioned they are interested in a console release, and it seems they may even try to bring it to the Wii U eshop. The project has a goal of $10,000 and will end on February 6th. It will be interesting to see if it meets its goal and if it does how it will play and be distributed in the future.

SmashCapps was very intrigued when he saw the video and is curious to see how the game turns out. Tell him your thoughts on the game by following him on twitter.

Last edited:

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
What.
Was not expecting anything like this. Kinda cool, I guess.

The projectile spam is real.

Last edited:

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Looks like fun, but egh, those graphics make my eyes hurt.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
shoutouts to the title being incorrect even though its named correctly in the preview image and in the article itself

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Looks like a lot of projectiles to me, don't know how that'll play out.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
To anyone who hasn't realized yet, the game is in a very early development state. Take a look at the previous videos on the channel.

Darulio

Smash Rookie
"Look! It has L-canceling! Instead of a game that is competitive by it's nature, we're going to mimic a game that became competitive by an incredibly lucky coincidence of bugs and physics quirks!" :I

It still looks pretty neat, though. It's an ambitious project, but I might check it out for the mad Touhou jams.

Ral

Smash Rookie
"Look! It has L-canceling! Instead of a game that is competitive by it's nature, we're going to mimic a game that became competitive by an incredibly lucky coincidence of bugs and physics quirks!" :I

It still looks pretty neat, though. It's an ambitious project, but I might check it out for the mad Touhou jams.
That seems like an entirely ignorant way of looking at things. If you want to get technical Street Fighter and all fighting games are mimicing a game "not competitive by nature." Combos were never intended to exist. At all.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Usually, I don't care about graphics, but the characters do look like rag dolls. Other than that, this is certainly an interesting project.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
If they change the name and the UI to not make it look like a Smash ripoff I'll buy it day 1.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
ugh can we NOT do this for once?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd be more interested if they made it seem more original. Although I suppose they were aiming for a Smash clone with bullet hell elements but still.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
As I do like touhou, this still just looks really...awkward? I dunno? I know it's not finished, so I won't judge.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
As I do like touhou, this still just looks really...awkward? I dunno? I know it's not finished, so I won't judge.
Yeah, from the looks of it. It's super early in development. They started on it a few months back (maybe August?) and they have been frequently posting progress. It actually evolved pretty fast. Here's hoping it'll look a lot better than it does now. They really need to work on the faces a tad.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Lookin more promising than Air Dash Online. Oh wait.

DexstarGAMER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DexstarGAMER
At least is better than Smash Flash, it looks awesome and competitive, if it comes to the Wii U i´ll buy it.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
ugh can we NOT do this for once?
Might as well play a drinking game to every asinine insult to Melee in the News section. Have two drinks if it's the first page. Aside from that, the game looks ok. Like SSF, not too crazy about fan games.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I can't wait until this and Cartoon Network's Punch-Time Explosion hits Apex 2016, guys!
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Wow, looks really interesting, with all those projectiles.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Looks cool! Fan projects are always super awesome (erhemProjectMcoughcough) so this is hype. Plus I love flying (Brawl Minus Meta Knight anyone?)

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
Might as well play a drinking game to every asinine insult to Melee in the News section. Have two drinks if it's the first page. Aside from that, the game looks ok. Like SSF, not too crazy about fan games.
Really, just any insult about competitiveness of a Smash game. Doesn't even matter which way it's directed, any time someone brings up an insult and it's based on the competitiveness of any Smash game, take a drink. Hell, down a whole beer or whatever drink your using every time and shorten the wait before you pass out and forget about it.

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman

Its literally been 15 years 14 years since Melee came out and the lack of clones bug me to a degree. so i am happy this is coming along with a fresh twist and mechanics

What.
Was not expecting anything like this. Kinda cool, I guess.

The projectile spam is real.
Dude wat. Its touhou.
Looks like fun, but egh, those graphics make my eyes hurt.
It's a team of three people.
I smell weebs.
OHIO GOMAZUMAZDA

Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Kawaii desu desu ne?

In all seriousness, I still thought this was a weird idea and wondered why it's even being made. At least it's going to be more coherent than Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale with the characters and art design.

D

Deleted member

The last place I thought to find a Touhou related article is Smashboards.

Top Bottom