• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tough matchups for Shulk?

bottomtextt

Smash Rookie
Hi there, I’m looking for a character to pick up for the shulk matchup cause I think pichu does kinda bad in that matchup and most footage I’ve seen backs that assessment up. Any suggestions?

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
In my experience, I've had trouble dealing with Pichu. Very small fast target can easily out maneuver Shulk and work him into combos racking up damage. Since Shulk primarily wants to keep you at range (the length of his Monado) characters that can close the distance quickly (i.e. rushdowns: Fox, Pikachu, Shiek, etc.) pose a problem. As well as characters that needn't approach (I.e. zoning: Mega-man, Snake, Belmonts, etc.). Rushdowns can stay close up on Shulk close to his hilt to cash in on combos, while ranged characters can pelt him from afar forcing Shulk to approach them, which is never good for Shulk.

If you want a solid Shulk counter i'd say pick up a good rushdown, and/or zoning character and learn the in and outs of Shulks play style and behavior. Close the gap when he's adjusting arts, or play an high level game of keep away. While I believe Shulk to be an amazing character these in my experience are his most crippling disadvantages.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
From my own experience, I believe Pichu and Pikachu do exceptionally well against Shulk because of their frame data and advantage state, but if you're looking for someone else, I'd recommend somebody that can force Shulk to approach. Shulk does NOT like characters with great projectiles like Snake, Belmont, and Wolf. Snake especially just completely controls the pace of the match and can really destroy your recovery with nikita if you've lost jump monado.

Last edited:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Thought I'd post here since I have sorta similar question - if Shulk's worst MUs are both hyper rush-down characters and zoners, what are a couple of the best secondaries for a Shulk main to cover those MUs?

I've been an exclusive Marth main since Melee, but I've decided to switch to Shulk for Ultimate since I'm having a surprising ton of fun playing him this game. And because Marth feels even worse than v1.0.0 Smash4 tbh. It's slightly surreal to switch mains after over a decade of loyalty lmao. But there's also a thrill in getting to know a character as complex/dynamic as Shulk.

Need to buy Xenoblade on the real.

Oh and EDIT: Is there somewhere I can find a pretty comprehensive guide about playing Shulk?

Last edited:
NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
Is there somewhere I can find a pretty comprehensive guide about playing Shulk?
https://youtu.be/q99MTYS7xwA

This guide helped me as a good basis of changes made from Smash 4 to SSBU.

It's slightly surreal to switch mains after over a decade of loyalty lmao. But there's also a thrill in getting to know a character as complex/dynamic as Shulk.
Yeah, I understand completely. Marth was someone I only recently picked up in Sm4sh, I used both Shulk and Marth prevously, but have been leaning alot towards Shulk in this game. I haven't had much time to play Marth too much but i've heard alot of bad rumors about the character. Been meaning to go over and give him a close look. Can't just write him off as not usable after so many games of awesomeness.

if Shulk's worst MUs are both hyper rush-down characters and zoners, what are a couple of the best secondaries for a Shulk main to cover those MUs?
Although I don't have any "solid" secondaries yet, I can usually counter rushdowns, and zoners alike using Young Link, or Toon Link in Battle Arena's. My official secondaries are YL, TL, and Falco. Who personally are able to cover my largest threats, I.e. Snake, Pichu, and Megaman.

Need to buy Xenoblade on the real.
On the real though!

Top Bottom