• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS 4 - Philadelphia, PA - Feb 7/8 NATIONAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

RESULTS HERE

In a few days, players from as far south as Texas will meet with players as north as Canada in an epic tournament.
In a few days many upsets will happen.
In a few days crowds will be awed and children will cry.
In a few days TITANS WILL CLASH.

Hype.
Check out the Clash of the Titans 4 Trailer HERE!

Table of Contents

I. Introduction
II. Basic Information
..........a. Date
..........b. Location
..........c. Schedule
..........d. Price
..........e. Payout
..........f. Rules and Regulations
III. Rules
..........a. Singles
..........b. Doubles
..........c. Crews
..........d. Low Tier Singles
IV. Features
V. ECRC2
VI. Traveler's Info
..........a. Hotels
..........b. Flying Into Philadelphia
..........c. Driving To Philadelphia
..........d. Public Transportation
..........e. Housing
..........f. Map of the Area
VII. Pre-Registration
VIII. People Interested In Coming
IX. Contact Info

I. Introduction

The epic Clash of the Titans series of tourneys are back since early 2008 with CoT 4, the first epic Brawl only tourney to hit PA!

With Melee afoot in Philadelphia, it's time to give Brawl a chance to shine with a 2 day Brawl only tournament. You DO NOT want to miss this tournament!

II. Basic Information

IIa. Date

This is a two day tournament!
Saturday - February 7th, 2009
Sunday - February 8th, 2009

IIb. Location

James Creese Student Center
3210 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

This venue is amazing! Check out pictures here
As soon as you enter through the main doors and see the info desk, hang a left to enter the grand hall.

IIb. Schedule

The venue will be open to everyone starting at 11:00am on Saturday and Sunday. The venue will close at midnight on Saturday night and at 10:00pm on Sunday night.

Saturday
  • Doubles signups end at 12:30pm prompt
  • Doubles pools start at 1:00pm
  • Singles signups end about an hour before doubles pools is over
  • Singles pools start as soon as doubles pools is over
  • Crews signups end when singles pools are over
  • Crews starts as soon as bracket is made

Sunday
  • Low Tier Singles signups end at 11:30am prompt
  • Low Tier Singles starts as soon as the bracket is made
  • Any leftover matches for crews not finished on Saturday will be finished during the last couple rounds of low tier singles.
  • Doubles bracket will commence as soon as crews or low tier singles is over.
  • Singles pools round 2 will begin after doubles with the singles bracket following, or we will start the bracket right away if a 2nd round of singles pools is not needed.

Changes that might happen to the schedule:
  • Singles pools round 2 will start on Saturday if there is enough time, and if a 2nd round is needed.
  • If we do not finish enough matches for pools or crews on Saturday, then low tier singles will be canceled on Sunday to allow more time for the other events. It will be announced Saturday night at the tournament whether or not low tier singles will happen on Sunday (We should be able to do it).
  • After singles is over on Sunday, if there is time, we will do a couple of regional crew battles for fun (no money involved). Regional crews will be 10 versus 10, 30 or 40 stocks each (currently undecided, will decide probably based on time).

IIc. Price

• Venue Fee: $10
  • Singles: $15
  • Doubles: $20 per Team
  • Crews: $20 per Crew
  • Low Tier Singles: $5

The venue fee grants you access for both days, you only pay it once. Everyone at the venue is required to pay the venue fee regardless of who you are. You will not be able to enter if you don't pay it.

Bring one lagless (standard definition) TV, and pay only a $5 venue fee! Bring two lagless (standard definition) TVs and don't pay the venue fee!

PLEASE BRING WIIs AND BRAWL!

IIe. Payout

• Doubles
    • 1st place - 60% of the pot
    • 2nd place - 25% of the pot
    • 3rd place - 10% of the pot
    • 4th place - 5% of the pot
  • Singles
    • 1st place - 50% of the pot
    • 2nd place - 25% of the pot
    • 3rd place - 12% of the pot
    • 4th place - 5% of the pot
    • 5th place - 2.5%
    • 7th place - 1.5%
  • Crews
    • 1st place - 70% of the pot
    • 2nd place - 30% of the pot
If 175 people show up (and it could definitely be 200+) and each spends an average of $30 on tournaments (singles, doubles, and low tiers or crews), there will be over $5000 given away at this tournament! 225 people brings it close to SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

IIf. Rules and Regulations

• Please arrive on time. If you are late, I can not guarantee you a spot in whatever tourney you are late for.
  • There are no refunds.
  • Whether you are in a tourney or not, if you are in the venue you must pay the venue fee.
  • Special personalized note cards will be given to everyone who pays the venue fee, and will be checked every time you enter and leave the venue. (I'm sorry about being strict on this, but I need to make sure I collect all venue fees to pay for the venue) You must flash this card to the person at the reg desk every time you walk into the venue.
  • If you lose your note card, you can be issued a new one, we will have a backup list of everyone who has paid the venue fee. (Though we would prefer not to have to remake a bunch of them)
  • DO NOT LOAD YOUR GAME THROUGH THE HOMEBREW CHANNEL!!! If you are caught loading your game through the homebrew channel without asking, you will be asked to leave. If you would like unlimited length replays enabled, I will use my own personal sd card to load the game (sorry I can't trust anyone without knowledge of what codes they have on).
  • Trash talking is allowed, and is encouraged! We love the hype! However, please do not distract the players too much at their discretion. Respect their right to focus on a match.
  • Any destruction of anyone's property at the venue will not be tolerated, and in the case of such an event, you will be asked to leave.
  • No drugs, alcohol, or any crap like that in there. If you have any, you will be kicked out.
  • You may not be a commentator on the live stream without first having consent by myself, or any other approved tourney helper there. If you are commentating on the live stream, please act professional. Focus more on the match at hand instead of giving people tons of shutouts in the chat. No cursing at all. By all means keep it lively and fun though, but it will be monitored for possible business relation opportunities with the ECRC2.
  • Other standard rules apply, don't be stupid, lets all have an awesome time!

III. Rules

IIIa. Singles

• 3 Stock
  • 8 Minute Time Limit
  • No Items
  • No stalling or running away to purposely run out the time limit (running out minimal time is one thing, multiple minutes is just ridiculous)
  • If you need to add your name to change your controls, please remember to do so, and do it quickly. You can not quit in the middle of a match if you realize your controls are wrong.
  • First round consists of all characters being chosen by a blind pick. The first stage will then be determined by a stage strike method. Players take turn striking out neutral stages until only one stage remains, which is the stage that is played. After the first match is over, each player bans one stage that can not be used in counterpicks.
  • Match two/three will first consist of the previous loser picking a stage, then the previous winner picking their character, and finally the previous loser picking their character.
  • You may not counterpick a stage you have already won on earlier that set.
  • Neutral Stages:
    • Battlefield
    • Final Destination
    • Smashville
    • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
    • Lylat Cruise
  • Counterpick Stages:
    • Delfino Plaza
    • Castle Siege
    • Frigate Orpheon
    • Battleship Halberd
    • Rainbow Cruise
    • Brinstar
    • Pokemon Stadium
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Norfair
    • Jungle Japes
  • Currently DDD's infinite and small-step chaingrabs are banned.
  • Ice Climber things are legal, as long as they aren't used for stalling.
  • If there is a dispute over controller ports, play Rock Paper Scissors for it (best 2 out of 3, no items, FD only).
  • Suicide Move Rules: (all situations are when both players are at 1 stock)
    • If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf's over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins.
    • If a player ends the match by swallowing with Kirby or DDD and falling off the stage and the game counts it as a tie, the player who initiated the swallow move wins. If the player who was swallowed is shown as winning the match (in the instance the broke out right before they died which some people might not notice), then they win.
  • GOTM's Rule Modified: Standard Dedede chain grabbing is allowed, but greatly encouraged to be used as much as possible on Inui. lol.

IIIb. Doubles

• Same standard rules and stages as singles.
  • Chibo's Color-Blind Rule: If a player on a team is using a character that might make it tough to determine the teams color (like Sonic, Lucario, or Pokemon Trainer), they are allowed to request control of a certain color to help lessen confusion.
  • Stock sharing is allowed.
  • Team Attack is on.

IIIc. Crews

• A single elimination bracket might have to be done depending on time.
  • Each crew will have 20 stocks.
  • Each crew must be composed of 4 or 5 players.
  • In a 4 player crew, each player has 5 stocks. In a 5 player crew, each player has 4 stocks.
  • Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville
  • Counterpick Stages: Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Pokemon Stadium, Delfino Plaza, Brinstar, Battleship Halberd, Frigate Orpheon
  • At the beginning of the crew battle, each crew will select their starting player without knowledge of the other crew's starter. The first match will be on a random neutral stage.
  • At the start of every match, each player must suicide down to the amount of stocks they are supposed to have. If neither player needs to suicide at the beginning, they may start right away without waiting.
  • When a match is over, the winner stays and carries their stocks over to the next game. The losing team chooses their next player and they have a choice of a random neutral stage, or a counterpick. If a counterpick stage is chosen, the defending player may change their character. If a random neutral is chosen, they may not switch their character.

IIId. Low Tier Singles

All rules for low tier singles are the same as standard singles with the exception of which characters are allowed to be played in the tournament. Only the following characters are allowed:
  • Mario
  • Lucas
  • Ness
  • Samus
  • Sonic
  • Pokémon Trainer
  • Yoshi
  • Link
  • Jigglypuff
  • Ganondorf
  • Captain Falcon

IV. Features

• Multiple matches will be displayed on projectors
  • There will be a live stream with commentary
  • There will be multiple recording setups throughout the venue
  • There will be a special Money Match station with 2 setups dedicated to MMs (These two setups will however be used for pools and/or brackets when needed). These TVs will have continuous VCR recording throughout the 2 days and a staff member will be there taking information for every match so all of the MMs recorded can be uploaded to YouTube after the tournament.
  • Doubles pools! (That doesn't happen at too many tournaments ;) )
  • Thousands and thousands of dollars given away in prizes (read payouts section for more info).
  • The tournament is held in the biggest venue Drexel University offers, located in University City in Philadelphia, one of the largest cities in the US which is very convenient for location and transportation.
  • Philadelphia is also home to their famous cheesesteaks, which you can get while your down for the weekend!
  • This will be one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) Brawl tourneys yet on the East Coast.
  • There will also be people with a camcorder recording all of the awesome things happening at CoT4.
  • After the event I will publish a CoT4 DVD to go on sale!
  • CoT4 will be using a new un-release version of Tio Tournament Organizer that has only been previously used by NealDT himself!
  • Crismas will be selling her famous smash stickers at the event! Link

-More Coming Soon-

V. ECRC2

The ECRC recently ended with Catacylsm 4 in January 2009, and I am happy to announce that Clash of the Titans 4 will be the opening event for the ECRC2! The ECRC2 plans to be bigger and better than the ECRC consisting only of national level tournaments spread out over a longer period of time. Winners of this tournament will be awarded points for the circuit. More details coming soon.
You can learn more about the ECRC2 here.

VI. Traveler's Info

VIa. Hotels

Would you like to stay at a hotel? There is a Sheraton just a few blocks away (@ 36th and Chestnut) that is offering rooms at a special rate for CoT4 attendees! Either call by phone and mention CoT4 for the discount, or you can reserve a room online at http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/COT4 You must reserve your room before January 30th to take advantage of the discounted rate.

VIb. Flying Into Philadelphia

Flying in via plane? CoT4 is right near the Philadelphia International Airport. When you get to the airport, you can take the Septa R1 Regional Rail train to 30th street station (@ 30th and Market St) which is within walking distance of the venue.

VIc. Driving To Philadelphia

Driving in via car? Check out Pakman's Parking Post.

VId. Public Transportation

If you are traveling from PA in Philadelphia or right outside of it:
Chances are you can find a route to get to 30th street station via Septa's Public Transportation. You can either click Plan Your Trip on the website and use the address of the venue, or plan out a trip to 30th street station and walk to the venue from there.

If you are traveling from New Jersey:
From South Jersey you can take the NJ Transit train with stops at Atlantic City, Absecon, Hammonton, Egg Harbor, Atco, Lindenwold, and Cherry Hill. Check www.njtransit.com for more information.

If you are traveling from New York:
From New York City you can take a Chinatown bus to Philadelphia for a cheap price (typically around $25 round trip). There are multiple lines, though I suggest the P2P Circulator which goes from NY Penn Station to 30th St. Station, or the Mega Bus. Some buses may drop you off at the Greyhound Bus Terminal, in which case you can take the Market Frankford El Subway to 30th Street Station.

VIe. Housing

You might be able to get housing with one of our friendly PA smashers by asking around or checking this post.
Specifically, Sadaharu Inui (that's his smashboards name) is able to house plenty of people at his hotel that's about 45-60 minutes away from the venue for about $5-10.

VIf. Map of the Area

Points of Interest:
A - My Apartment
B - 30th Street Train Station
C - Venue

Here is another map with some addition information. Click Here

VII. Pre-Registration

Pre-Registration is now closed
Just show up at the tournament on time and register normally.

Please only sign up if you know you are coming. If you need to update information re-submit the form and let me know it's an update in the Notes section.
Pre-registering costs no money and helps me keep track of everyone and get their information before the tourney to expedite the sign up process.
If you need to un-register, please email cot4prereg@gmail.com with your Name and Gamertag, asking to un-register.
Check out all current pre-reg'd attendees here. (Might be slightly out of date)

VIII. People Interested In Coming

All names in Bold have already pre-registered.
Current amount: 200
Check out all current pre-reg'd attendees here.
  • ChiboSempai
  • GOTM
  • MexiMadnez
  • AndyG
  • Rogue Pit
  • .com
  • Bnzaaa
  • UltimoDragon
  • Xzax
  • Vex Kasrani
  • Kyuu
  • Scar
  • Velocity
  • Sadaharu Inui
  • Hidden MachineS
  • NinjaLink
  • Keitaro
  • teh_spamerer
  • Pride
  • Nacker
  • Umbra
  • Kruton
  • TUSM
  • Cylf
  • Money Smith
  • Noodles
  • Supersonic9
  • AztecKing
  • Snakeee
  • Pierce7d
  • Tbagz
  • Graz
  • Numb
  • Ax
  • doommachine15
  • Cless
  • GenesisJLS
  • Wind Owl
  • Diddy2k8
  • Atomsk
  • MalcomM
  • AlphaZealot
  • Quivo
  • Pizzy
  • Pwasma
  • Rush
  • Mew2King
  • thedirtyshow
  • DieSuperFly
  • Doom
  • Palpi
  • Thirtyfour
  • Ally
  • Kismet2
  • TheReflexWonder
  • WarmSoda
  • Bnzaaa's Friend
  • Bnzaaa's Friend
  • Bnzaaa's Friend
  • Bnzaaa's Friend
  • Bnzaaa's Friend
  • Flizzz
  • Steel2nd
  • Green Ace
  • Icy Light
  • md
  • Smash Phoenix
  • J.G Wentworth
  • Ksizzle
  • Gunblade
  • Kid
  • Cable
  • A@
  • Niko_k
  • Overswarm
  • Alex Strife
  • Sethlon
  • Roy_R
  • Dojo
  • Santi
  • Bug~
  • Ambrose
  • KingAce
  • Slikvik
  • Shadow
  • MdrnDayMercutio
  • Dazwa
  • Yes!
  • Toasty
  • Kadaj
  • MalcomM
  • Lord Knight
  • Dr. Bill Cosby
  • Lee Martin
  • Kashakunaki
  • Sliraobe God
  • Ponchoman
  • UltimaScout
  • Circio
  • EmuKiller
  • WolfBlade
  • Melee1
  • Eazy
  • Hylian
  • TheTantalus
  • Ebo!
  • Melomaniacal
  • erera265
  • The_Truth
  • Bum
  • mikeHAZE
  • omegablackmage
  • The Joenage
  • Dannykat
  • Rukkiko
  • AngelDust
  • SK92
  • Kinlap
  • Sleep
  • Nope
  • erickgm14
  • F4G
  • Stress
  • shinobiknight0
  • =)
  • Z
  • Atrus
  • Atreides
  • Woodman425
  • 3xSwords
  • BengalsRZ
  • clowsui
  • Lobos
  • Nick Nasty
  • Phillyrider807
    [*]Taku
    [*]GDX
    [*]BigLou
    [*]kingtoon
    [*]Cel
    [*]Aztec Avenger
    [*]jmd27
    [*]Johan
    [*]Le THieN
    [*]Skipper
    [*]Sneak8288
    [*]ehan89
    [*]MstrE
    [*]Pyronic~Star
    [*]M.I.B.
    [*]Glen565
    [*]Queensryche
    [*]Squall
    [*]Panix
    [*]KingX
    [*]FuryX
    [*]Seibrik
    [*]Rule34
    [*]KingYoshi
    [*]Nintendo Master
    [*]Twin_Scimitar
    [*]Tainted Jester
    [*]Warm Soda
    [*]Eyes
    [*]Pope
    [*]L0S3R
    [*]meep!
    [*]sugarsheik
    [*]KhaosMatador
    [*]Eljin
    [*]Rozar
    [*]KM516
    [*]Dark Kakashi
    [*]Dark Sasuke
    [*]Vayseth
    [*]Palms
    [*]lain
  • Infinity
  • God-is-my-Rock
  • G-reg
  • dmbrandon
  • Clai
  • God_Mains_Pichu
  • dookdigity
  • ShadoFiend
  • Lukky
  • Fuggles
  • JAYO
  • Kadiev
  • TriadProdigy
  • PenUmbra
  • Mav
  • Wes
  • EE
  • Fogo
  • Candy
  • KnightMare516
  • doomsong123
  • Tristan_win
  • Kage

^Might be a lil outdated lol, tough to keep track of so many ppl

IX. Contact Info

Please contact ChiboSempai for all questions. You can PM me here on SmashBoards, or catch me on AIM @ ChiboSempai.

All is Brawl

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I will most likely go but I'm pretty disappointed in the payouts. It's basically "give M2K an gigantic chunk of every pot" and that's lame. I know he's good and deserves to win, but I prefer Scar's approach and distributing it to more places than just top 3 and not putting a gigantic 70% or 65% into 1st. =/

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I will most likely go but I'm pretty disappointed in the payouts. It's basically "give M2K an gigantic chunk of every pot" and that's lame. I know he's good and deserves to win, but I prefer Scar's approach and distributing it to more places than just top 3 and not putting a gigantic 70% or 65% into 1st. =/
its almost the same as ur tourney, i change it to top 5 payout if there are 64+ ppl (which i definitely expect for there to be more than 64). its in the note at the bottom of that section)

edit: maybe il run regional crews on sunday. mmmm..... thatd be nice
il probably through some draft crews in there somewhere lol

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Hmmm...2 day tournament but right before the next semester starts :/

I know I'll end up there anyway and have my parents yell at me like they did last time.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
its almost the same as ur tourney, i change it to top 5 payout if there are 64+ ppl (which i definitely expect for there to be more than 64). its in the note at the bottom of that section)

edit: maybe il run regional crews on sunday. mmmm..... thatd be nice
il probably through some draft crews in there somewhere lol
lol if 63 people show up, it's going to suck massively.

I use 50 as my number for when I start paying out top 5, and I'll pay out top 4 if I have 32, even. I like NOT putting tons of money into 1st despite me having a really high shot at it. I won Hurricane Meta Knight and still don't regret not keeping it silly like 65/25/10 because it's unfair like that imo.

Edit:

Singles:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
(If the bracket exceeds 50 players, the payout changes to 50/25/15/5/2.5.)

Teams:
1st: 60%
3rd: 10%

Crews:
1st: 70%

I'm probably always going to pay out top 5 because low attendance isn't even possible for me.

Like I said, I feel the same way as Scar about payouts. The best player in the world lives so close to us and just giving him gigantic sums of money at every tournament is really lame. Jason deserves to win...but he doesn't deserve 65-70% at every tournament with no chance of not getting 1st. x_x

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I agree with Inui

But the only reason I agree with Inui is cause I don't think I'll be able to get any higher than 5th if I'm lucky, lol!

I also think more people may come knowing they have more a chance to make money.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
so if m2k didnt live right near us it would be ok? lol. that doesnt seem fair.

also, since theres a big tourney in cali this weekend, theres a good chance hes going to that lol.

i just always liked having big awesome sums of money as the prizes which really gets ppl hyped, gets ppl wanting to get first, and gets everyone to step it up. m2k is beatable by all means. ninalink might come lol.

edit: im gonna change it so top 4 are paid out no matter what, and change some other stuff a bit more *updating it now*

Rocann

Smash Lord
I agree with inui on prizes and stuff; it was really cool to see 5th placers at hurricane get money back + 2 dollars for a hot dog or something (or for me, a septa bus).

basically because if I play doubles and singles then this tourney is a 49 dollar entry fee for me after septa, before food

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea for the standard person entering everything, its $34 (if your crew has 5 ppl)
normally i keep my tourneys a tad cheaper, but for a 2 day tourney, $34 is actually pretty cheap compared to tourneys in the past that can be from $40-$65 (which don't even include crews)

Ok so the new payouts are up. 4th place is always paid (which I like cause its the last place without a tie, so 5th to 4th is kind of like that next skill gap)
64+ players pays out top 6 ppl
128+ players pays out top 8 ppl! Let's make it happen!

To give an idea, if there are 64 players
Total Singles Pot: $960 Pot After House Cut: Between $850 and $900, depending on amount of Venue Fees collected.
So worst case scenario, with $850 @ 50/25/15/5/2.5:
1st: $425
2nd: $210
3rd: $130
4th: $45
5th: $20 (both 5th places)

To give an idea, if there are 128 players
Total Singles Pot: $1920 Pot After House Cut: Between $1800 and $1850, depending on amount of Venue Fees collected.
So worst case scenario, with $1800 @ 50/25/12/5/2.5/1.5:
1st: $900
2nd: $450
3rd: $220
4th: $90
5th: $45 (both 5th places)
7th: $25 (both 7th places)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
k il make the singles payouts 5% less for first, and 5% more for second. yea i agree with inui also in that sense

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea lets get md/va to this!

lol i owe u more? how much? all that gas money business from esticle was so confusing lol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I already paid $20 which was for all the tolls on the way up and a lil of the first gas stop, but im guessing thats why i owe less than chozenboss?

KingAce

Smash Ace
****it, if this was like 2-3 weeks earlier canada would have DEFINATELY came =(

noodles

Smash Champion
i think i should go **** everyone.

WHY IS THE MARIO ARCADE STAGE NOT A CP!!!?!?!?!?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ah, its Money Smith from the vgxpo. I was the guy who ran the tourney and I'm running this one as well lol. It's at Drexel

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the list of ppl interested in coming is growing rapidly! We've hit the 32 mark in under 24 hours!

Next up, 64!

I dunno who I'm teaming with yet at this...
AndyG? Rogue Pit? Vex? .com?
I'd add Mexi to the list, but I want to see him bring Ponchoman and bring back Team Desperados

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
doommachine - thx

this tourney just got 80x cooler now that ak (ultimo) is coming lol
hmmm... maybe we should team?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
if this hype keeps it up i might have to do online pre-reg (without money, just for information similar to event 52)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom