• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Torna's past and future - A Jin (Xenoblade Chronicles 2) support thread

D

Deleted member

Who is Jin?

Jin is one of the main antagonists of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. He's the leader of Torna, a secret organization which is looking for the Aegis, a legendary weapon said to be so powerful it can sink the world into chaos.

He's also going to be one of the main protagonists of Torna ~ The Golden Country, a new DLC scenario which serves as a prequel to the events of the main game.

Why should he be in Smash?

Among all of the most recognizable antagonistic figures from the Xenoblade series, Jin is among the most feasible ones, unlike characters like Metal Face who would be hard to make it properly playable for obvious reasons.
He's also temporarily playable, during a part of Chapter 8 and during certain missions in the Season Pass's Challenge Mode, which can gives ideas on how he would work in Smash.

What his moveset would consists of?

Jin would be among the fastest swordsmen, akin to his incredible speed in XC2, with arts he uses during his boss fights against Rex's group, such as:

- Heavenly Disrupt, which would consists of his recovery move, similar to Ike's Aether but without launching his katana.
- Stunned Swallow, which would work as a counter move that, instead of immediately redirecting damages and knockback to the opponent, stuns them temporarily.
- Empty Moment, which would consist of a chargeable move that attacks everyone nearby once fully charged.
His Final Smash would finally consists of him turning to his Blade form and slashing with light speed everyone he initially trapped, akin to how he blew up Rex's group at the end of Chapter 6.

Other attributes
- His moves could incorporate ice effects, akin to him being an Ice Blade.
- His Star K.-O. scream would be him saying "Very. Funny.", like when you fall while you play as him in Xenoblade 2.

Feel free to contribute to this opening post if you also would like to see Jin in Smash!

Last edited by a moderator:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Was wondering when someone would post this. Personally, I'm looking forward to playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country. The battle system is completely different from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and the story seems to have a much darker tone than Rex's adventure. I can't wait to see Mythra and Brigid's past selves. Also curious whether or not Ahkos and Patroka will appear.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lora and Jin as a tag team fighter. Lora would be different from Rex and Shulk, in that she uses hand-to-hand combat instead of sword play. Like Pokémon Trainer, you could switch between the two. When you switch, the other partner performs a powerful attack that cripples the opponent. Unlike Pokémon Trainer, whom seems to give you the option of choosing your favourite Pokémon, Lora and Jin's play style would compel you to rely heavily on team work to win the match. That would be quite fitting, since that is what Xenoblade 2's battle system is all about.

[EDIT] They could also go an Ice Climbers route, only difference being you could change the leader at any time. But once your partner's KO'ed, good luck on your own. I actually would prefer this mechanic, as it better captures the essense of their game.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles X for my Wii U. I support!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Jin is an awesome villain, so awesome that I'd rather not go into spoiler territory.

I'd gladly support.

D

Deleted member

Jin being playable isn't a secret to everyone now it seems.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Not going to lie. I really would like Jin and Lora as the XB2 reps in Smash. I support.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Hey Pega-pony Princess Pega-pony Princess , long time no see.
Hello there! I just returned here to the boards a few weeks ago after like a 2 year hiatus. I'm afraid I don't remember a lot of people here unfortunately, but your username does look familiar. :)

Getting back to Smash though, how realistic do you guys think Jin's chances of being in are? I say he has a somewhat decent chance, considering how much the Torna DLC is being advertised and how well XB2 sold. Rex and Pyra are no doubt his biggest rivals for the smash spot though.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
Hello there! I just returned here to the boards a few weeks ago after like a 2 year hiatus. I'm afraid I don't remember a lot of people here unfortunately, but your username does look familiar. :)

Getting back to Smash though, how realistic do you guys think Jin's chances of being in are? I say he has a somewhat decent chance, considering how much the Torna DLC is being advertised and how well XB2 sold. Rex and Pyra are no doubt his biggest rivals for the smash spot though.
He could only get in as DLC, there I think his chances are... not extremely terrible?

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice

I feel like him and Lora have a decent chance at DLC, IF Pyra and Rex are in the base game. Pyra and Rex obviously have priority, and I don’t see two fighters from the same game added in the same DLC.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ah sorry guys. Forgot to add DLC to my last post.

Yeah, the likelihood of Jin appearing over Rex and Pyra is pretty pretty unlikely in the base game. Fingers crossed for Jin to appear in some form though, even if he's just a trophy.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I would love him being in solely for the c=Cloud v. Iceroth. All seriousness he would be an interesting addition.

D

Deleted member

By the time E3 2018 rolled around, I hadn't beaten Xenoblade 2 yet. So I avoided watching Treehouse gameplay of Torna: The Golden Country until after I beat it. Now I have beaten it, and checked out the gameplay. And when I saw that Drivers can use their own weapons separate from blades now my mind instantly thought "Lora and Jin for Smash!". But I think that's WAY too far out there even if they would play differently from Rex & Pyra. Jin by himself could still work, but I still fear that's a bit much for Xenoblade 2 characters.

Which is why I can't call myself a supporter of the Nia and Zeke threads on this site. With Jin however, I'm enough of a fan of the idea of "Lora & Jin" or just Jin by himself to where I can call myself a supporter. But I really don't think it's likely. If Xenoblade 2 gets an Assist Trophy however, I think Jin is one of the best options for that.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I kinda want Jin in now solely because the cutscene named mercy in Torna. (And no the name isn't a spoiler).

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So... Torna the Golden Country came out, and uh... I can now safely say I believe Jin deserves to be in Smash alongside Rex with Pyra and Mythra (and Malos I guess) if they ever become DLC.

So, I support.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
'Sup.

I made a moveset for Lora that includes Jin.

Team Lora Drives In!

• Team Lora fights by utilizing Lora's Braid, Jin's katana and Haze's staff, with Lora using her Blade's weapons for different attacks. Weapons in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are made of ether and can disappear, so for any move, the weapon will flash and appear in her hands, then vanish.
  • Each of Lora's Blade attacks will grant the enemy an elemental Orb, Ice for Jin, Wind for Haze. Extremely convenient, since those two are opposing elements and break each other. The element orbs are just small orbs that orbit around the character, light blue for ice, green for wind. When a character that has a wind orb orbiting them is hit with an ice attack, the orb smashes and deals extra damage and knockback. The last Blade that grants her a weapon stays in the background like Pokemon Trainer, switches whenever Lora uses the other Blade
Now, for the moveset:

• Jab - Standard jab using her auto attack animations: A backhanded slap, a kick and two quick punches.
  • Forward tilt - A swift kick
  • Up tilt - waves her Braid upwards in an arc, has a flame effect
  • Down tilt - a low sweeping kick, the same in her Path of Thorns art
  • Dash attack - lunges and stabs with Haze's staff (second option: a kick, third option: a slash with the katana)
  • Forward Smash: Summons Jin's katana and slashes forward, grants an ice element orb, breaks a wind orb
  • Up Smash: Spins Haze's staff overhead, grants a wind element orb, breaks an ice orb
  • Down Smash: Spins her whip around her like one of her Arts, flame effect
  • Neutral air: A Smash 64 neutral air fits her fine
  • Forward Air: Swipes with her Braid in a quick motion from up to down, has a fire effect
  • Back air: Stabs behind with Haze's staff, grants a wind element orb, breaks an ice orb
  • Up air: Swipes Jin's katana overhead like the Fire Emblem characters, grants an ice element orb, breaks a wind orb
  • Down air: Stomps, then does a swipe kick downwards that has a spike effect
  • Grab air: a tether with her Braid
  • Grab: a tether grab, holds opponents in place instead of pulling them to her, like this:

• Pummel: Fire burns the poor character that's bound by the Braid
  • Forward throw: Lora pulls the character in and smacks them with a drop kick
  • Down throw: Lora smacks them against the ground in place and they slam upwards
  • Back throw: Pulls them in like her F throw, but lets them fly back instead of kicking them
  • Up throw: Pulls them in and punches them upwards
The specials:
  • Neutral special: Holding Jin's katana, she summons a shard of ice that stays in place and zooms forward after a moment, ice orb/breaks wind orb
  • Down special: Using Haze's staff, she summons a whirlwind around her, like Cloud's, but is a multihit move with little knockback, wind orb, breaks ice orb
  • Side special: Holding Jin's katana, she swipes it upwards and sends a shockwave running across the stage, similar to Cloud's neutral, but shorter length. Ice orb, breaks wind orb (I thought of using Haze's Talent Art here, that would be basically Witch Time, so nope)
  • Up special: Using Haze's staff she summons a whirlwind and flies upwards. wind orb/breaks ice

Final Smash: Level IV Special: Haze jumps into the stage and blasts ether around her, whoever is caught is held in place as if weakened by Haze's power and gets beat up by Jin and Lora's Level IV Special.

Other:

Victory quote: "I fight for my friends!"
Idle: slaps her face and pumps herself up
Taunt: the full version of her idle in Torna

Last edited:

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
'Sup.

I made a moveset for Lora that includes Jin.

Team Lora Drives In!

• Team Lora fights by utilizing Lora's Braid, Jin's katana and Haze's staff, with Lora using her Blade's weapons for different attacks. Weapons in Xenoblade Chronicles X are made of ether and can disappear, so for any move, the weapon will flash and appear in her hands, then vanish.
  • Each of Lora's Blade attacks will grant the enemy an elemental Orb, Ice for Jin, Wind for Haze. Extremely convenient, since those two are opposing elements and break each other. The element orbs are just small orbs that orbit around the character, light blue for ice, green for wind. When a character that has a wind orb orbiting them is hit with an ice attack, the orb smashes and deals extra damage and knockback. The last Blade that grants her a weapon stays in the background like Pokemon Trainer, switches whenever Lora uses the other Blade
Now, for the moveset:

• Jab - Standard jab using her auto attack animations: A backhanded slap, a kick and two quick punches.
  • Forward tilt - A swift kick
  • Up tilt - waves her Braid upwards in an arc, has a flame effect
  • Down tilt - a low sweeping kick, the same in her Path of Thorns art
  • Dash attack - lunges and stabs with Haze's staff (second option: a kick, third option: a slash with the katana)
  • Forward Smash: Summons Jin's katana and slashes forward, grants an ice element orb, breaks a wind orb
  • Up Smash: Spins Haze's staff overhead, grants a wind element orb, breaks an ice orb
  • Down Smash: Spins her whip around her like one of her Arts, flame effect
  • Neutral air: A Smash 64 neutral air fits her fine
  • Forward Air: Swipes with her Braid in a quick motion from up to down, has a fire effect
  • Back air: Stabs behind with Haze's staff, grants a wind element orb, breaks an ice orb
  • Up air: Swipes Jin's katana overhead like the Fire Emblem characters, grants an ice element orb, breaks a wind orb
  • Down air: Stomps, then does a swipe kick downwards that has a spike effect
  • Grab air: a tether with her Braid
  • Grab: a tether grab, holds opponents in place instead of pulling them to her, like this:

• Pummel: Fire burns the poor character that's bound by the Braid
  • Forward throw: Lora pulls the character in and smacks them with a drop kick
  • Down throw: Lora smacks them against the ground in place and they slam upwards
  • Back throw: Pulls them in like her F throw, but lets them fly back instead of kicking them
  • Up throw: Pulls them in and punches them upwards
The specials:
  • Neutral special: Holding Jin's katana, she summons a shard of ice that stays in place and zooms forward after a moment, ice orb/breaks wind orb
  • Down special: Using Haze's staff, she summons a whirlwind around her, like Cloud's, but is a multihit move with little knockback, wind orb, breaks ice orb
  • Side special: Holding Jin's katana, she swipes it upwards and sends a shockwave running across the stage, similar to Cloud's neutral, but shorter length. Ice orb, breaks wind orb (I thought of using Haze's Talent Art here, that would be basically Witch Time, so nope)
  • Up special: Using Haze's staff she summons a whirlwind and flies upwards. wind orb/breaks ice

Final Smash: Level IV Special: Haze jumps into the stage and blasts ether around her, whoever is caught is held in place as if weakened by Haze's power and gets beat up by Jin and Lora's Level IV Special.

Other:

Victory quote: "I fight for my friends!"
Idle: slaps her face and pumps herself up
Taunt: the full version of her idle in Torna
I like it, especially the Orb Break Mechanic, but I think a switching mechanic would show off the Torna Gameply better. Also, you said xcX instead of xc2

D

Deleted member

If anyone is interested to take this thread, let me know.

Not like I expected Jin to be a likely candidate anyway.

Top Bottom