• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tutorials | A directory to amazing guides + Q&A Thread: Ask questions here!

DUB

Smash Lord
Does Smashboards automatically add a white background to Avatars? :( I can't seem to get it to go away. Halp Saletar look spiffy?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

To get the transparency, take the image into a photo editing program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc). Delete the background layer so you only see the image and potentially the gray checkerboard thing. Select and delete the white sections. Where the white was, you should be able to see the checkerboard. That means its transparent.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Any of you guys know how to make custom YouTube backgrounds?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Does Gimp have the pen tool?

You could do just the same as you would with the magic wand tool if you added masks, plus you don't lose the rest of the image - it's merely hidden behind the mask. Very useful, and very good. It takes practice to use, though.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer

To get the transparency, take the image into a photo editing program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc). Delete the background layer so you only see the image and potentially the gray checkerboard thing. Select and delete the white sections. Where the white was, you should be able to see the checkerboard. That means its transparent.
I don't recall if Gimp does it automatically, but don't you also have to make sure that an alpha layer is enabled or added?

Also, making sure to save as PNG is a good final step.

@Zio: Yeah, Gimp has a pen tool, I believe. Rendering via that method is a ton more precise than a wand, although it's a bit less convenient.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It has to be manually, I think. I just did and now it's my profile pic.
But the other image I posted (which is my avatar) has a complex BG, so it's difficult to clear out.
The pen tool seems nice but I don't even know how to do it.

It's mostly because that I'm new on these sort of things.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Any of you guys know how to make custom YouTube backgrounds?
I think the size would mostly depend on your own monitor's screen resolution, but I guess somewhere around the 2000 x 2000 pixel range would be safe?

The thing is you also have to accommodate for the center area on your channel's page that has videos/profile info/etc., which will cover most of your background image. That central area is about 960 pixels wide iirc, so you'll want to make a background image without anything too important in that space, since you'll only be able to see the outer left, right, and bottom edges.

Other than that you could probably make a background from whatever image editing program you prefer, GIMP, Photoshop, etc. and save it as a .jpeg/.png file. The Edit Channel button on your homepage should let you upload images from your computer.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Beats me.

www.youtube.com/InfernoOmni

The current background kinda' changed a bit when YouTube updated. You could see more of Zim (on the left) and Gir (on the right). But now I'm just looking for someone to make me a YouTube template for the new YouTube channel design. Invader Zim theme of course.

DUB

Smash Lord
Hmm same trouble once again x.x. Seems to be popular in here. Having a lot of trouble removing the background on this Sprite Fusion. Can someone help me with this one? Looking for 100x100 with no background.

2nd Question so I won't have to ask ppl to help me with this, other editing programs like GIMP. I don't think I like this oen that much and was looking to see others.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator

Photoshop is pretty similar to GIMP (and a lot more stable from what I hear) as far as I know, but unlike GIMP it's not free, so... yeah. Depends on if you're willing to spend the money on all the bells and whistles.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I prefer Photoshop, but that's just personal preference. Gimp, with enough effort, can produce the same results.

NN, Photoshop does indeed cost money, but I would bet a decent amount that most people get it... from means that I won't specify here.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Anyone have any experience with other free programs or is gimp generally considered the best? I'm just getting into computer art so I don't want to drop a lot of money on it yet, just looking for something at least slightly better than MS Paint really(even MS Paint is a lot better now than I remember it being...)

Zeros

Smash Cadet
Please forgive me if this is covered some place else but I am having trouble using Spoiler tags. Is there a special format for this website or something that I'm missing? I tried to post a Ganon Pic somewhere else in the forum and I used:

[ spoiler] [ img ] blahblahblah. photobuckets [ /img ] [ /spoiler]

But the image displayed without the spoiler tags. It just literally plopped out there with the spoiler boxes before and after the image. What am I doing wrong? :( Any help is greatly appreciated. I love art but I'm trying to not be rude in showing my art.

Thank you for your time

:::Edit:::
I think I may have figured it out...
I believe this forum uses Collapse tags instead of the usual Spoiler tags lol

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Has anyone found a good step by step to draw human bodies, preferably manga-style? I'm looking but so many of them are just so jumpy, like it's a stick figure at one point then full of circles and detail the next

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Ugh hi everyone from this forum :) /
I have never posted in the AE so before I made a thread I wanted to run my thoughts by some people here so the thread doesn't flop.

I want to do a competition thread (do those exist here? lol) where everyone makes cheesy smash/Nintendo related valentines.
Then on Valentines day we could pick winners and see if we could possibly get them featured on the front page??

They would just be really punny, cheesy, cute valentines.
For example something like having diddy kong on it and it saying something like:
your the up-throw to my down air and have a bunch of hearts :3

Thoughts?
is less than 2 weeks enough time for this?
is this a dumb idea?

Phumpy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Phanpy7266
3DS FC
2595-0258-7884
Switch FC
SW-6796-8237-2006
Does anyone have HQ renders of mewtwo and his alt costumes?

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
How do you draw? Not anything specific, just in general? I've been wanting to draw for a while (even took an art class but the teacher was terrible so I barely learned anything), but have no idea where to start...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want to find a good tutorial on coloring

and I probably should find a good tutorial on 3D modelling

They only offered 2 3D classes at school, and it's been a while since I took them

Top Bottom