• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tier Terror?

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
I've been playing with Shulk since I unlocked him in game. I have to say I think he's one of the best characters in the game right now. With the ability to cycle his arts, and select them opens up a world of mix up options. Combined with his new speed increase, lag less attacks, and solid finishers. I wonder why I don't see more people playing him???

With that being said I wanted to ask, what do you think his primary weakness are? Is Shulk a solid counter to the Fire Emblem roster? I can usually find my way around most opponents, and have maintained Elite status with him consistently.

I've had the most issues with rush down characters like Pichu, Fox, and even Mario. Yet have little to no issue with K. Rool, or Chrom.

I also have a bit of trouble with good ranged characters like Mega Man.

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
Shulk has faster moves overall, but still the same ****ty startup from 4. The best OOS option he has is air slash at frame 10. Characters that can pressure him either by rushdown or zoning can take care of him.

Shulk, however, seems to have a **** ton of potential in this game, possible a high tier contender.

Camdalf

Smash Rookie
Shulk's main weaknesses is that all of his aerials come out very slow, and has minimal Out of Shield options as ADAS20 stated. If his aerials aren't spaced properly he can get beat by quicker characters and by characters with quicker aerials.

I'm not too familiar how Shulk deals with projectile heavy characters, although I speculate that he has the tools to work around them.

Shulk has great range, hits hard, and tons of mix ups with his monados to make up for that.

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
The best OOS option he has is air slash at frame 10
Yes I have been noticing this as I have been playing him, this option isn't that reliable as if it is predicted or if I miss, I am open to lethal punishment.

Shulk has great range, hits hard, and tons of mix ups with his monados to make up for that
Choosing Shulk as my main has made me look at options, and characters differently. When I approach a difficult match-up like Mega Man, or a rush down like Pichu. I picture it as I would Jiu Jitsu, or Chess and think of what moves I would be able to implement in order to out play my opponent.

I think playing Shulk has increased my awareness of this game and other characters, I need to continue to analyze his weaknesses to find ways to work around them. I'm hoping in SSBU to be "Ultimately" (pun oh so much intended) able to solo Shulk. My current secondary to cover his weaknesses is Falco, my Melee main. Thanks for the input guys! I'm eager to hear more!

Top Bottom