• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tier Potential- Mr. Game & Watch

-SUNNYD-

Smash Rookie
I originally wrote this for somebody in discord but perhaps it's worth sharing here too..

Ok for starters you can’t talk about Game & Watch being broken without his up special. It’s frame 2 and very hard to punish due to invincibility, not to mention it’s one of the best OOS and defensive moves the game has to offer. Along with due to the hit box and again, invincibility, it makes him very hard to edgeguard without getting hit by it. Not to mention it goes an extremely far distance and can be airdodged out of for that little extra distance. Can also be acted out of with a move such as nair or up air, to start a juggle or just rack up % further.

Down smash covers 3 ledge get up options and the sweetspot is extremely large & disjointed. It feels like you’re more likely to hit the sweetspot than the sour. It grounds for a hella long time and leads to a sweetspot fsmash, which kills at around 60 at the edge of the stage. Up smash is quick, safe on shield and has invincibility frames throughout the entire move. Also the hit box is a lot bigger than people imagine. It’s a great move for reading (especially at ledge)

Back air lasts forever and has little startup and little endlag. And just to throw people off who’re trying to shield, it even has an unnecessary landing hit box. Also it combos into itself and the turtle will consume your double jump and your brain cells.

Nair is disjointed as hell, lasts forever, has many hits, does a solid amount of damage, combos into itself & judge and confirms into literally any tilt and upsmash. Looking for a quick kill? Dragdown nair dtilt/upsmash. Looking to make your opponent want to cry? Every time they even so try to land on a platform, give them a tasting of fish. It also leads into up air which is a super annoying juggle move for easy damage. Speaking of up air, it’s like Mega Man’s but quicker, more hits yet doesn’t kill. It’s very annoying to deal with and if you’re a character like Bowser, prepare to be at around 100% before you touch the ground again.

Chef, his neutral special, is an underrated move of his i dont see new players taking advantage of. It's around 6% per food piece, which equals in around 30% after each set of 5 (usually one chef piece will link to the others so its almost guaranteed a set of atleast 3-5), which is a big deal when you realise if you stand in the right position and tilt the stick to the right angle, you can make it near impossible to grab the ledge. Great for gimping recoveries and also resetting the neutral.

I’m sick of saying GW’s moves are ‘quick’ all the time bc it feels repetitive but. It’s just true. What is startup lag and what is endlag. Compared to the rest of his moves, ftilt might be slower but compared to like everyone else’s ftilt it’s quick. And a strong move, killing in the 90-100s. Not as strong as downtilt but a lot easier to hit. You can’t even think about GW without talking about judge. This move can be.. good. Imo there’s a 6/9 chance (nice) you’ll get a decent move so the RNG isn’t so bad. The good ones and why:

•3 hits the opponent behind you which confuses them more than you’d think. It also does massive shield damage (more than a 9) so a 3 and like any other move will just destroy it

•5 is alright ig. It’s a multihit (like literally all of GW’s move) with an electric effect. It doesn’t kill but it doesn’t put you in a bad position either.

•6 kills at around 110-120ish and has a fire effect. It does decent knockback and sometimes feels more satisfying than killing with a 9

•7 does the three apples thing and comes in handy when you’re losing the game (I think it heals around 12% but I could be wrong) and you’ll be close enough to the point you won’t have to turn around to eat all the apples. The apples, however, can also be used as bait. And it works really well.

•8 freezes the opponent, pretty self explanatory

I could’ve included 4 here but the max it can to is extend your edgeguard. No knockback, low damage and it’s overal just boring.

Bucket makes Game & Watch completely invincible when he absorbs something and gives him many opportunities for an easy one shot. You’ve seen the hitbox on oil panic just ****ing look at it what the ****. The lowest GW can bucket is 3 fox lasers and the highest (I believe) is PK Flash, which kills at like 10%. Hell, even bucketing 3 Mario fireballs lets you kill him at around 85ish. Also this move completely deletes characters like Duck Hunt, Snake, Pac-Man, Ness, Lucas, Belmont’s and Megaman from the game since it also reflects now. Oh, yeah. Y’know, Snake. Considered one of the best characters in the game. Gets countered by GW. Along with Pac-Man and Ness, two high tiers. GW’s speed, air mobility, floatiness and the fact he’s small lets it be easy to avoid attacks and get around quickly.

Anyways his only flaws are his weight and the fact not alot of people play him (the most notable being Maister ofc). He could be top tier if more people would play this character or atleast acknowledge how good he really is. I've probably forgot to talk about some moves but oh well sdkdfksdh.

candysell

Smash Cadet
His Bair can also lead to a jab lock to attack or 9 (if you get lucky) at very low % if the opponent doesn't tech. Just try not getting the very edge hit of the turtle which launches the opponent up.

Lotch

Smash Rookie
I’ve been saying this since the game came out and it’s about time he gets his due recognition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom