• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Mango might not act like he cares, but he carries the burden of the whole melee community on his shoulders with their high expectation of him. Maybe if you guy's give him a break he'll stop saying dumb things like he is going to use Marth and saying he doesn't care about winning. It's just a self defence mechanism to take some of that weight off his shoulders.

Mango - Stop caring about what the melee community expects of you and just play for play. You mentioned the difference between Hungrybox and Armada when they win/lose a match, how Armada just keeps cool and sticks to business. You need to react the same when it comes to the communities expectations of you. Judging by the posts you've been making you've let it get you and Armada and Peepee already have the upperhand.

Armada - Keep doing what you are doing, you are inside mango's head and you are a machine. Will be rooting for you

EU for lyfe.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
LMAOAO

#mangotheories

im just a troll at heart d00d

talking to the guy who was banned for 2 years

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be so sure of that if I were you. I'd say Mango is using the ignorance of the masses to get support.. he's smart don't forget. =)

MaNg0

Smash Hero
yeah but if i dont actually care then its not a john

ROFLLL

i dont even care about winning

im just gonna show up and pl@y

and my amazingness should carry me

:cool:

JKJ

Smash Ace
Mango...
I usually root against you when you play against PP or Armada or Hbox, I'll be honest, but that doesn't mean I don't love to see you play on point and even win. Honestly, Armada's one of my favorite players and I STILL want to see you beat him. You're just so damn fun to watch, and whether you want to admit it or not, we all can tell how hard you've been trying lately.
Saying you don't care IS a john. If you don't care, there's no need to defend yourself. It kind of sucks to hear you say that you don't care BEFORE Apex.
Now, I've never met you, so I can't know for sure, but I think you care way too much about how the community perceives you. This "troll" image really doesn't make us like you any more, I can't speak for the whole community, but I like people who care about winning and play hard.
Honestly, I'm a nobody, so you don't really have to care about my opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Do yourself and the community a favor: play hard, care, and if you lose, lose graciously. You're one of the best to ever play the game.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Leffen found Hax and now they're having a 'Small Man' contest.

Hax is up 2-1 with a recent win in the 'who is shorter minus their big hair cut' category. 4'2".

Next up is 'who can look the weakest while punching a chicken.' I'm betting Leffen will tie it up because Hax has brooklyn rage.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I feel like absolute skill is a valid metric for GoAT status

by your definition wilt chamberlain or someone would be the best basketball player of all time
Have you ever heard of Bill Russell?

There's no such thing as "absolute" anything. Theory of Relativity, bruh.

@Shadrach
So, Ken without a doubt dominated his peers more than any other player ever. There is no arguing that. Does that mean that he is better than Mango or Armada?
To answer definitively would be hypocritical considering what I just said: there are no absolutes. Not even the fact that there are no absolutes is absolute.

Isn't life grand?!

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
"No absolutes" being non-absolute is paradoxical
Life is paradoxical.

All these mango posts are solidifying my predictions that he'll get 3rd.
QFT

We know Armada v PP is gonna be amazing though.

I'm really happy for Mango. I'm going to let him finish. But uh,
Sick post

I think the dynamic between the top 3 is pretty simple.

Peepee is meticulous. He is constantly baiting while maintaining a lock down with safe offense. You'll see that he does great against players who are also meticulous, like KK for example. They're playing a 'who can think far enough ahead to not mess up' game. His lasers are calculated and his shield pressure is safe but threatening. He maintains a degree of control almost unseen by Melee.

Armada is the punisher. Armada, in the neutral game, is an extremely defensive player. He waits. Its just the nature of Peach. He understands that Peach cannot win by putting the other player in a bad position, but rather he must wait until they do it themselves. When that time comes, which it does for every player, Armada is one of the if not the best punisher in the game. You **** up once and you lose a stock.

Mang0, however, is playing a different game. Both Peepee and Armada are patient, but Mang0 just goes in. His constant reevaluation of options allows him to always pick the most aggressive yet safe option. When he locks players down, everything they know becomes irrelevant. When you're playing Mang0, you're getting ***** in your shield, getting punished, getting grabbed, or you're trying to do something OoS and Mang0 is punishing you for it. That's why Mang0 wins so decisively sometimes.

“One mark of a great soldier is that he fights on his own terms or fights not at all.”
“Those skilled at making the enemy move do so by creating a situation to which he must conform; they entice him with something he is certain to take, and with lures of ostensible profit they await him in strength.”
― Sun Tzu

I think these quotes are pretty accurate.

With that said, when Mang0 is on point, you lose more and more options as his pressure gets more airtight. When he doesn't have that airtight pressure, he gets punished. When he plays people like Armada who will wait all day for that opportunity, he loses stocks for single mistakes.

We all expect Mang0/Peepee/Armada/Hbox? for top 3. Peepee is always getting better, so who knows what will happen. Armada has probably gotten better, too. However, I think the placing will all depend on how Mang0 applies himself. We've all seen what happens when he throws the neutral game out of the window. I'd like to reference Genesis 2, Taj Vs. Mang0 in winners. Mang0 wasn't playing too well, so the neutral game became more apparent and Taj was able to do some fancy tricks. However, watch his match in losers with Taj. The difference between not warmed up Mang0 and warmed up Mang0 is clearly visible. Mang0 ****S Taj up, no doubt. I still wonder why he went so ham and then lost to Armada, but I guess that's in the past. If Mang0 just waited a LITTLE bit against Armada, I think his chances would double. He takes every aggressive option possible, and eventually Armada gets a punish and then a stock.

Another example is Kings of Cali. Winners, Peepee vs. Mango was a decisive victory for Mang0. Peepee was thinking too hard and being too patient, so Mango wrecked him. Whatever anyone wants to say, Grand Finals, Peepee got more aggressive than Mang0, and he won because of it. All johns aside, Peepee was playing much more aggressive than normal and it seemed like he flat out outplayed Mang0, regardless of Mang0's dedication to the performance.

We can see this evidence in other matches. Who is another character who punishes really hard? Ganon. We all know Mang0 has lost to Kage before. He loses when he gets punished really hard.

We'll see, though.
Sick post

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
Let the man do whatever he wants. Who cares if he's johning or trolling he's gonna play some sick melee regardless, and the results of apex will speak for themself

:phone:

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Excited for Javi/Leffen. If Mango doesnt do anything and gets 33rd, thats whatever. With or without him, this tournament will be sex.

-Edit : and westballz vs javi

and PPU vs anyone

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
LOLOLOLOL. I honestly think mango can say anything and add "ROFFLLL" or "LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO", and people will be like OMG GASP

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Excited for Javi/Leffen. If Mango doesnt do anything and gets 33rd, thats whatever. With or without him, this tournament will be sex.

-Edit : and westballz vs javi

and PPU vs anyone
I like how it's a 128-man bracket, but it's always 33rd that gets posted, lol. Poor Europe.

Orenishii88

Smash Rookie
mew2king will get first if he watches gurren lagann. dr pp will get first if he watches gurren lagann. if they both watch it 1. PP 2. M2k callin it now

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Okay so the Apex WF set between Mango and Armada popped up on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSX1B3-T1Cg) so I decided to rewatch it to get some hype for next week.

Just wanna say that even though Mango loses 3-0 here it's actually not that lopsided.

Game 1 - Mango does a bad recovery under Dreamland that loses him the lead and he ends up losing.
Game 2 - Mango has a lead and Armada pulls a bomb to kill of his 3rd stock.
Game 3 - Pretty even. Last stock is a cluster ****. Armada gets a good hit to win it.

Not taking anything away from Armada but if a few things had gone the other way this set could have been VERY different.
Game 1- That bad recovery was at 108% that wasnt THAT HUGE at all. He came back and baired him, only took 15%. I dont think thats a game changer.

Game 2- The bom-omb was at 77% , they were both tied up and armada got the lead. Mango killed him only taking 35% . Notice in both Game 1 and Game 2, it wasnt 1 stock high percents, Armada outplayed him both games last stock. He didnt take more than 40% each time or so.

Game 3- Pretty even , your right. But the end wasnt a cluster ****. After the upthrow up air, armada was controlling the edgeguard the whole time. And he messed up;twice. Once on the bair, then hitting the firefox.

Also, they're were a bunch of things armada messed up on as well. And if those things you said didnt happen, I would say it would be 3-1, considering the whole set, they didn't go to Armada's counterpick.

Landry

Smash Ace
Yeah man, I wasn't saying that it would go completely the other way. I was just trying to point out that for a 3-0 it wasn't like Mango got steamrolled. I didn't remember it being that even so I figured I'd point it out.

Top Bottom