• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character v3.5

TreK

Is "that guy"
Bruh you can't make a salty suite for PM
Gimr will sue you if you use his copyrighted trade mark all rights reserved VGBC design corporations Nintendo sponsored name for your side event

D

Deleted member

Regardless, the recovery is being stopped, which is the point.

You are also acting as if the recovery requires no effort to do. I have seen plenty of people try to down-b mash. Not everyone can do it.
no the point is that if it had been done correctly then it wouldnt have been stopped and thats my issue, i can edge guard correctly and extensively and still not secure an advantage.

even if mashing was hard its still way easier than the other technical aspects to the game. even then, you could change your D pad controls to special to solve this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elza~

Smash Cadet
no the point is that if it had been done correctly then it wouldnt have been stopped and thats my issue, i can edge guard correctly and extensively and still not secure an advantage.

even if mashing was hard its still way easier than the other technical aspects to the game. even then, you could change your D pad controls to special to solve this problem.
If it was done "correctly" it wouldn't have been stopped....

The Falcon soft knee was the correct way to stop a charged side-b from that far out. The knee from the edge was questionable, but instead a D-air could have been used. The recovery was performed correctly, so in that sense you are wrong.

The gif with Lunchables throwing projectiles was one of the correct ways to stop Luigi's recovery. The boomerang can body block as it is a solid hitbox/hurtbox, and Luigi can't maneuver around projectiles in the air as he has the worst air mobility, seeing as I was off-stage, I was forced to try and raise my altitude using the Down-B, was punished, and stock was taken, so again you are wrong.

The gif with Diddy, forced me to use all recovery options, and was still stuffed.

So where you got the idea where the recovery wasn't performed correctly is beyond me. I suppose everyone is an expert on characters they don't play.

D

Deleted member

If it was done "correctly" it wouldn't have been stopped....

The Falcon soft knee was the correct way to stop a charged side-b from that far out. The knee from the edge was questionable, but instead a D-air could have been used. The recovery was performed correctly, so in that sense you are wrong.

The gif with Lunchables throwing projectiles was one of the correct ways to stop Luigi's recovery. The boomerang can body block as it is a solid hitbox/hurtbox, and Luigi can't maneuver around projectiles in the air as he has the worst air mobility, seeing as I was off-stage, I was forced to try and raise my altitude using the Down-B, was punished, and stock was taken, so again you are wrong.

The gif with Diddy, forced me to use all recovery options, and was still stuffed.

So where you got the idea where the recovery wasn't performed correctly is beyond me. I suppose everyone is an expert on characters they don't play.
in the first gif with diddy you could have simply done a normal tech and air dodged onto the stage and been at an advantage
in the second you could have sweetspotted with side b, or air dodged, or simply up B'd buffering a tech input to replicate the first example
in the third example, you missed the tech entirely, could have lived easily, and your opponent still died
in the fourth example you could have SDId the projectiles up and in and had access to an air dodge even without down b when he was forced to intercept you as you drifted back onto the stage

i appreciate the use of examples but i havent seen a clean example where luigi recovers properly and doesn't make it. for now its just good constructive criticism, i don't have to be a luigi player to understand simple game mechanics

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I watched one match and it was his opponent not teching or SDI'ing like, 5 dairs in a row. What kind of melee player is Zoso?
According to TBH3 Scar, he is the best Melee player in the world.

In other news, update with more Smashing Grounds and WDW vids (including the Winter ladder). Montreal vids are next, I swear!

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I watched one match and it was his opponent not teching or SDI'ing like, 5 dairs in a row. What kind of melee player is Zoso?
I just played against Spaz's lucas in friendlies--at low percents he spaces out his dairs so that you rarely get hit with one that knocks you into the ground to be teched. He abuses the multihit nature of the move. In friendlies, I got hit by 5 of them with only one giving me the opportunity to tech so I think you may be overrating how much of his conversions were comeing from mistakes.

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
in the first gif with diddy you could have simply done a normal tech and air dodged onto the stage and been at an advantage
in the second you could have sweetspotted with side b, or air dodged, or simply up B'd buffering a tech input to replicate the first example
in the third example, you missed the tech entirely, could have lived easily, and your opponent still died
in the fourth example you could have SDId the projectiles up and in and had access to an air dodge even without down b when he was forced to intercept you as you drifted back onto the stage

i appreciate the use of examples but i havent seen a clean example where luigi recovers properly and doesn't make it. for now its just good constructive criticism, i don't have to be a luigi player to understand simple game mechanics
Im happy someone who actually understands that we can make simple evaluations of recoveries / neutral games / combo potentials about other characters just by observing top level players being unable to do _______ vs _______.

Instead of saying just learn it or its not as good as you think.

imma punch a baby dolphin if another player says lucario has a bad neutral game #invincibleapproachesthatignoreneutral or justifies a busted mechanic with well u need this aura stuff which u get back in 3 hits.

Fact is you can look at certain aspects of the game and clearly see how free they are or how far off the risk / reward ratio is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Fact is you can look at certain aspects of the game and clearly see how free they are or how far off the risk / reward ratio is.
agree, and i can add something to that. generally when i go to events i sit down with new players and also say that i am a new player that lurks smashboards with no alias and i ask new players or casuals what they think about different things in the game. ive learned some of my best smash lessons from people that have spent much less time with the game. every single person brings something to the table.

TreK

Is "that guy"
^ the /s is strong with this one

In other news
New JZ videos are getting uploaded and I'm like a fangirl waiting for each new one right now. (still no signs of any decent Marth against him...)
Here's the channel on which theyre getting uploaded. By the time you update with the next batch of replays they'll probably have uploaded everything.

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
agree, and i can add something to that. generally when i go to events i sit down with new players and also say that i am a new player that lurks smashboards with no alias and i ask new players or casuals what they think about different things in the game. ive learned some of my best smash lessons from people that have spent much less time with the game. every single person brings something to the table.
yeah. When i went to a new tournament series and the guy running the event with no real history with pm was talking about balance is was pretty cool how aware he was on what felt off. Despite not playing the game.

I feel as players we all have bias on what we have trouble against. Who we play as. along with many other variables.

This clouds our judgement often. People seem to feel it invalidates all the hard work we put into a character by admitting they are top tier. Everyone wants their character to be horrible so they as a player stand out as amazing. .. . . . . When sometimes its the reverse.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Yeah, he moved back over winter break and didn't tell anyone he wasn't returning lol. I still had him on our PR for a few weeks before I realized he wasn't in Oklahoma anymore.

Also, while we're on the subject of regions, Dad, Hona, and Zinth are all OK players.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Spaz definitely belongs on the list for Lucas. He's a dual lucas/squirtle main and has gotten top 3 at SG for last two weeks. He took 2nd last week, and demonstrated some amazing play against Sora in Winners Finals. I personally feel based on the recent footage I've seen of Neon's, Spaz is probably the best Lucas around right now (if Neon/Spaz are the only names in consideration).

here are some sets from last week of Spaz's Lucas and his Squirtle:

Lucas

Spaz v. Sora:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsfUCZEGTCU&index=14&list=PLAIIMiVssmgriKtUCyKprQNiVWSJYJhNx

Spaz v. Poob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqm2DMiwKQo&list=PLAIIMiVssmgriKtUCyKprQNiVWSJYJhNx&index=9

Squirtle

Spaz v. Zoso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnXYwWx9O24&list=PLAIIMiVssmgriKtUCyKprQNiVWSJYJhNx&index=15

Squirtle/Lucas

Spaz v. Sora GFs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m31FwrNfWhY&list=PLAIIMiVssmgriKtUCyKprQNiVWSJYJhNx&index=16

TreK

Is "that guy"
And here I was... THIS close to finally getting 40 minutes of top Ivy vs top Marth to rant about...

TreK

Is "that guy"
idk if I'd call myself a "fan", seeing as I just want very bad him to get pwned by a Marth to prove a point and get that matchup fixed next update.

I do enjoy watching him a lot though. We're both aggressive Ivies, but I'm kind of a gimmicky player, JZ is more focused on fundamentals like proper ledge traps and tech chases, so watching him I take a bunch of notes on the things I should be taking notes about.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I just want very bad him to get pwned by a Marth to prove a point and get that matchup fixed next update.
JZ hasn't lost to a Marth in months. Granted, he hasn't played M2K's Marth or anything, but Zinth and Lain aren't exactly randoms.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Updated with Smashing Grounds, JZ vids, Wavedash Wednesdays, player locations, other requests, and METROID VIDS LETS GO

Fearless

Smash Rookie
Crew Battle, Austin vs San Antonio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px1jU35uYMk

Austin: Fearless(Lucario), Grime(Wolf), Scuba Steve (Captain Falcon), Dong(Luigi)
San Antonio: Ohthomas(Yoshi), Dad!?(Samus), Dex (Marth), FistFoot (Donkey Kong)

Fearless (Lucario) vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBclEWpMoY Fist Foot (Mario, Dedede) Austin Weekly Losers Semis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lY6LryPDkU Tikobroje (Marth) Austin Weekly WR2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqT8LtVydB0 Dex (Marth) Austin Weekly LR6

D

Deleted member

Oklahoma. JZ is pretty ****ing legit. He dropped his music career for smash and its paying off imo

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

He has been coming down to oklahoma a few times afaik, but I'm not 100% sure.

Top Bottom