• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top of the World! (Lucario Mains' Tips and Secrets to reach the Top)

_TacocaT_

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnnyAza
3DS FC
2079-8105-2974
Hey everyone! This thread will rely completely on all of us Lucario mains. I personally find myself to be somewhat of an above average player having played against well known players in the scene. But of course we can all do better, so any little Lucario tricks you have, may it be on a specific MU , map or combo, just let the Lucario family know!

EVEN POSTING VIDEOS OF YOURSELF WOULD BE AWESOME! WHO KNOWS, LETTING THE WORLD SEE YOUR TACTICS MAY GET YOU WELL KNOWN!

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Just letting yall know.

*whispers*
(JC Up-Smash -> Footstool) is a thing.
I cant be in this thread anymore.

i get so mad when some crazy **** is found before i can think about it. XD

I suppose i'll contribute.

i like to use up B cancelling from onstage to offstage after like Fsmashes to chase into aerials that i can return from with Up B again. additionally up air'ing ppl to the top then up B'ing into poor DI nair or another Uair can kill before 80 depending on where u end up when ur up there.

Last edited:

Jelinek

Smash Rookie
I know this is the wrong place to ask but, can you gain aura when you hit Din's fire and turnip?

Jelinek

Smash Rookie
As Lucario mains, how do you cope up with missing techs as in missing ASC, hitting too late, or messing up when facing an opponent? When I practice solo, I can ASC anything, spot-on almost 100% of the time, but when I face human players, i mess up alot. :(

atara

Smash Cadet
Ideally mistakes happen uncommonly enough that your opponent won't be expecting it either, and usually your only choice is to spotdodge/roll or sometimes wavedash. Also just learning not to rely on ASC to approach means it will hurt a lot less. Lucario's running speed is the one good part of his neutral game so use it.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
Up smash is gawdlike. ASC'd it demolishes CC heavy characters *cough Roy cough* and it is a great combo extender. Up smash > jump cancel > footstool is hilarious and actually a pretty good way to continue a string. I've even used up smash out of shield before with some pretty good results. Shoryuken has so much utility its crazy. I don't see enough Lucario's abusing it.

Jelinek

Smash Rookie
Up smash is gawdlike. ASC'd it demolishes CC heavy characters *cough Roy cough* and it is a great combo extender. Up smash > jump cancel > footstool is hilarious and actually a pretty good way to continue a string. I've even used up smash out of shield before with some pretty good results. Shoryuken has so much utility its crazy. I don't see enough Lucario's abusing it.
If you CC Lucario's u-smash, does it "stack" like peach's d-smash?

On another note, how do you do u-tilt consistently and fast (like how ipk does it)? It would sometimes go to u-smash. What are the timings?

Leirkov

Smash Cadet
If you CC Lucario's u-smash, does it "stack" like peach's d-smash?

On another note, how do you do u-tilt consistently and fast (like how ipk does it)? It would sometimes go to u-smash. What are the timings?
uTilt - > B -> Shield -> uTilt -> repeat

ASC (B -> Shield) is about 13 frames of end lag after shield press, and (this part I may be wrong on) about 3 frames to cancel from your attack (in this case, uTilt).

This is one of those things you just need to grind out in practice. ASC is very useful and uTilt juggles are a good example of how it can be used.

Kerfuffle

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't stack really because its supposed to hit that many times. Peach's stacks because it was meant to hit once, and has a different full powered hitbox on the other side that knocks you into the next one.

Jelinek

Smash Rookie
Speaking of Peach and floaties in general, what are moves generally "kill" them? What do you guys do in the punish game department? I have no trouble playing patient against floaties but how do punish them so they lose stock early? By early I mean like 80% etc

Leirkov

Smash Cadet
uThrow -> Sweetspot uAir is underrated.

DI mixup on throws into Bair is also good. I feel these two moves get me the most kills in a floaty match.

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
So I'm gonna tell you guys a secret.

Up Smash>Jump out on the first frame you can (I just mash Jump as fast as I can)>Aerial Side B

Works on characters on both extremes of the roster by size and weight (Dedede/Bowser and Jiggs/G&W). I'm checking now to see which characters it works on and who it doesn't. I'll test at 0%, 50%, and 100% unless someone requests otherwise. Should be done tonight.

Edit: Make sure you don't fast fall the jump.

Last edited:

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Aerial Side-B is not optimal because they can tech and be out of lag before you're back on the ground.
Combo finisher near the ledge? Also if you threw them back onto stage and follow up with a flashy Extreme Speed cancel smash attack or something along those lines.

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
Also the spot the up smash puts the opponent in allows for a normal side b and a reverse side b as well. So if I'm getting up from the ledge then I can up smash facing the stage do a reverse aerial side b and use an aura charge to send the to the shadow realm.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Also the spot the up smash puts the opponent in allows for a normal side b and a reverse side b as well. So if I'm getting up from the ledge then I can up smash facing the stage do a reverse aerial side b and use an aura charge to send the to the shadow realm.
This is probably one of the few cases this is useful. Granted it's a good usage, but as it's been said before, be very careful where you use this. Usmash to Ariel Force Palm on low percent characters doesn't knock down, so it will essentially throw them back into a standing position, perfectly ready to counterattack while you're still in lag from the throw. And because specials don't cancel into other specials, you would have to wait til the end lag of side b is done before you could use extreme speed.
I'll have to check out the side b reverse thing though, cause thats pretty cute. :3

If your opponent DI's fair in, you can get a free AFP, also, you can cancel first hit of dair into AFP as well. I think sourspot of dtilt combos into AFP annnd.... thats all I can think of right off the bat.
I'm pretty sure extreme speed can be cancelled into dair>AFP, because I think I've seen IPKZ do it a few times.

PD | Lewd

Smash Apprentice
This is probably one of the few cases this is useful. Granted it's a good usage, but as it's been said before, be very careful where you use this. Usmash to Ariel Force Palm on low percent characters doesn't knock down, so it will essentially throw them back into a standing position, perfectly ready to counterattack while you're still in lag from the throw. And because specials don't cancel into other specials, you would have to wait til the end lag of side b is done before you could use extreme speed.
I'll have to check out the side b reverse thing though, cause thats pretty cute. :3

If your opponent DI's fair in, you can get a free AFP, also, you can cancel first hit of dair into AFP as well. I think sourspot of dtilt combos into AFP annnd.... thats all I can think of right off the bat.
I'm pretty sure extreme speed can be cancelled into dair>AFP, because I think I've seen IPKZ do it a few times.
Also, what I was saying about cancelling the abortion into the AFP grab. If you follow their DI then you can follow up with a first hit Nair almost guaranteed on all the cast. Very good kill setup.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
This may be talked about already but DashAttack-Ftilt(optional)-sideB-dash-dashAttack ASC- Grab- Upthrow-Fair-Fair is a super easy combo that works on basically every character from 0 doing roughly 70ish%. It doesn't work on fast fallers, but they have some other stuff.

Anyways did you guys no that Lucario can sweet spot the ledge from below on FD? I can post a video if requested, but basically UpB at roughly a 45degree angle up to edge so that you slide along the side of the stage and you will snap to the ledge automatically. It is a little tricky to do but is super powerful. Just try it at different heights and distances and see what works. This tech might work on other stages but I haven't tested it yet.

edit: I works on FD, SV, & BF
Both Smashville and Battle Field have a small side so it very tricky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom