• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top favorite games?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This probably has been posted before, but I'm just very curious. I love asking this question because of the variety of games people choose and their reasoning.

You can do a top 5,10,25, etc. However many you are able to do.

I will start first, with my top 20.

20. Spore

spore.jpeg

One of the first games to capture my imagination and stretch my creativity, Spore has a charm to it with its many gameplay styles that changes with each stage, from the open world nature of the cell and creature stages, to the RTS style of the tribal and civilization stage. There are nice details like how creatures and vehicles you've made are ported over to future playthroughs and the game has humor like how you can have your tribe huddle around the campfire and dance. I adore this game and wish it got a sequel.

19. Doom (2016)

doom.jpeg

Fast-paced, brutally fun, has the most metal soundtrack ever, tons of weapons, this game is the definition of cool. What else can I say? It's ********* Doom. I haven't played Eternal so I can't comment on that.

_________

18. Ninja Gaiden

ninja gaiden.jpeg

This game has some of the most fluid controls on the NES. It's tight, fast-paced, and the best part is that if you are good at the game, you can keep moving while attacking enemies and never stop. Extremely hard, but super satisfying and rewarding. And finally, Unbreakable Determination.

17. Super Castlevania 4

castlevania 4.jpeg

This was my first retro game and boy what an introduction to this era of gaming. The controls are probably the best when it comes to the classic Castlevania games, with the ability to aim in all 8 directions. The soundtrack is memorable with some standouts like Simon's theme, Beginning, and of course Bloody Tears and Vampire Killer. The atmosphere brings you into the world and there are details like the dangling whip and the moonwalking staircase animation. This game made me appreciate games before my time.

_________

16. Metal Gear Solid

metal gear solid.jpeg

This spot originally went to MGS 4 and as much as I love that game and I think it's a great finale to the series, I thought the first game was more memorable. The atmosphere is something else I tell you. The music, specifically Cavern, makes you feel you like you are on a dangerous mission that could go wrong at any minute and there are twists and turns constantly. The Psycho Mantis fight, the boss introduction cutscenes, the part where Grey Fox murders a room of people like something out of a horror game, and the ending just stick in my mind and subvert your expectations. The first time I played this game, I was looking forward to seeing what was next, all the time, and it's rare for games to have that effect on me so this was an achievement. this is the most replayable MGS game for me and everything from the atmosphere, voice acting, music, and character moments just makes this one of the most memorable gaming experiences for me.

15. War of the Monsters

war of the monsters.jpeg

I'm a big fan of giant monster movies and the 50s horror and alien classic films so this game is right up my alley. What other game lets you play as a giant monster and allows you to climb buildings, use antennas as spears, throw explosive trucks at other monsters causing them to get knocked into a building which then crumbles, and overall use everything in the environment to your advantage? Everything about this game is a love letter to giant monster fans. The loading screen showing posters for fictional movies, the monster designs, and heck the main menu is a drive in movie theater.

14. Peter Jackson's King Kong Game

king kong.jpeg

One of the most cinematic games I've ever played, and based on one of my favorite movies, this is a game I hold great memories with. The levels with Jack are basically a survivial horror game and the parts with King Kong are a satisfying beat em up game. What makes this game so great and cinematic is that it rarely takes away control from you aside from some very brief cutscenes and there is no HUD. And the music is great and maybe even better than the movie's soundtrack.

13. Spider-Man

spiderman.jpeg

This game was a happy surprise for me. I wasn't following this game closely, but I picked it up on a whim and I'm glad I did. This game feels super polished. The web swinging feels so good and the combat is intuitive and gets very chaotic and creative once you get down to the nitty-gritty. The story is great and this version of Spider-Man and Peter Parker are probably some of my favorites with their witty and sarcastic humor and their solid dialogue. The writing is strong, the music is memorable, and the ending is emotional.

12. Minecraft

minecraft.jpeg

Ah yes, the nostalgia is strong with this one. I have probably put hundreds of hours into this game. Digging out mining systems to maximize my chances of getting diamonds, the fear and adrenaline of fighting off monsters at night and in dark caves, and building huge structures that I could call home and decorate and have a big farm next to. This game allows for complete freedom and I love it for that. And I love that soundtrack. So relaxing and brings back many memories including watching various lets plays.

11. Resistance 3

Resistance 3.jpeg

One of my favorite game series set in a war-torn Earth that is being taken over by aliens called Chimera, Resistance 3 is the finale (for now at least) of the series. One of my favorite things about this game is the weapon variety. Some of the weapons include the Bullseye, which lets you tag enemies so you can shot them no matter where you are aiming, the Auger which shoots through walls, Cryogun which freezes enemies then you can shoot a cool blast of wind which shatters frozen enemies, Atomizer which shoots bolts of electricity, and the Mutator which contains a mutated strain of the Chimera virus that makes enemies inflate and explode, infecting other enemies, etc. The art style helps the game hold up and thanks to the upgrade system this game is very replay worthy and overall it contains the best gunplay of the Resistance series, not to mention a really good story.

10. Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga

lego complete saga.jpeg

As far as I know, the first Lego Star Wars game is the first game I've ever played. I played the heck out of it and the second game and I was hyped for The Complete Saga. I got it with my first PS3 in 2007. I adore this game. The Lego games have a unique charm to them, especially the early ones and even to this day I still enjoy beating The Complete Saga even after beating it many times. And what's awesome is that this game added additional features. More characters, new secret levels, and the bounty hunter missions. To this day I still defend it as the best Lego game. I'm looking forward to seeing how Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga compares to this gem.

9. Star Wars Battlefront 1+2 (originals)

Battlefrotn 1+2.jpeg

I can't decide between these two. The first one has better maps overall but the second game improves on the gameplay and adds new modes. But either way these games are a blast to play. They are a Star Wars fan's dream. You can go anywhere, if you see a vehicle or some kind of artillery you can use it, and you can do anything you want. You can snipe, go around in a speeder blasting away people, get in a tank with an ally and fight other tanks, the decision is yours. In addition I find the command post system unique and different from any other games. The classic music is there, the sound effects and voices are taken from the movies, and overall it really feels like you are partaking in the Star Wars universe.

8. Grand Theft Auto San Andrea

gta sa.jpeg

Oh yeah, this game was the **** back then. It had one of the biggest open worlds in gaming at the time, and added so much to the GTA formula. The stats system was a game changer. You were now able to go to a gym and work out, eat at a fast food place, hang out at a bar and play pool or arcade games, and you could increase your swimming and driving skills. To this day I still say that San Andreas has the best map out of all the GTAs and heck, one of the best maps in gaming. You had three major cities, each with their own gimmicks, atmosphere and things to do, a desert, a mountain, and a whole lot of side country filled with small towns, woods, and buildings to explore. This lead to a lot of internet conspiracies and hunts for things like ghost cars, the mothman, bigfoot, and UFOs. GTA San Andreas was a sensation in many ways and was the first game that made me feel like I could go anywhere and do anything I wanted.

7. Danganronpa V3

dangarnonpa v3.jpeg

I could choose any of the Danganronpa games with their mysteries, colorful characters, a sadistic but enthusiastic, eccentric and comical bear mascot, unique visuals, great music, and intense class trial segments. But if I had to pick one it would be V3. It's the longest game out of the trilogy which allowed it to develop its characters more and flesh them out. This game probably has my favorite roster of characters out of the trilogy and the trials are better than ever, especially with the introduction of Debate Scrums which I wish were real events. Finally, the game has the most bat**** crazy, out of left field ending I've ever witnessed. I will never forget it, and I will never forget the Danganronpa games.

6. Destroy All Humans 2

DAH 2.jpeg

I'm currently on my 10th playthrough of this game. That should tell you a lot. Like with Resistance 3, the guns are the stars of the show. You have all the weapons from the original game back plus more. The Disclocator shoots discs that stick to objects and people and flies them around the air leading to carnage, Gastro is a Furon holobob who comes equipped with a machine gun and explosive shots, the Burrow Beast fires a lure which attracts an underground monster that eats nearby humans one by one while flipping over nearby vehicles, the Meteor Strike rains meteors down from the sky, and the Anti-Gravity Field shoots a vortex of energy that sucks in everything then destroys it all after some time. The game has a great sense of humor and constantly references and parodies 60s tropes like spy films, ninjas, and even Godzilla. I love this game. It's charming and it never gets old.

5. Hulk Ultimate Destruction

Hulk ultimate Destruciton.jpeg

My favorite superhero is the Hulk and this game is the best at making you feel like the Hulk. Anything that the Hulk can do, you can do. You can toss tanks, sink helicopters, create sonic booms with claps, weaponize vehicles, and slam the ground so hard that it KOs enemies in a multi-block radius. The sound effects are meaty and make the combat super satisfying. The story and voice acting are solid, with the story being created by one of the writers of the Hulk comics. This game is a love letter to Hulk fans and it shows. This is another game I've beaten countless times.

4. Uncharted 4 A Thief's End

U4.jpeg

My favorite out of the amazing Uncharted series, this installment is the prettiest and most satisfying one yet. This was my first PS4 game and it still is my favorite from the console. Man what an introduction to next gen. The character models and facial animations are astounding. The graphics are gorgeous and on top of that this is the best gameplay of the Uncharted series. The gunplay feels really good and this game probably has the best selection of guns. The combat gives more freedom with the addition of vines and ropes that you can hang onto while shooting or jump off from to KO enemies. The story is amazing and has a sense of realism and finality. The ending is the best thing they could have came up with and it feels like the perfect ending for Nathan Drake's story. What a beautiful game.

3. God of War 3

GOW3.jpeg

Even with the spectacular PS4 game existing, this one is still my favorite GOW game. It blew my mind the first time I played it. It has mind-blowing visuals and set pieces with the game starting off with you fighting gods on top of a moving mountain thousands of feet above the air. Some of the ways you kill the bosses is extremely brutal and awesome. For one of them, you grab his metal fists (Nemean Cestus) and punch his face in so hard that the floor beneath him crumbles. Speaking of bosses, this game has a lot of them and they fill up a pretty good amount of the game which is sweet in my opinion. They are well done and some of them are downright some of the best boss fights in the series. The combat is vicious and makes you feel like an unstoppable warrior. This game is great. What else can I say? It has left quite an impression on me.

2. Ace Attorney series

Ace Attorney.jpeg

Yep that's right. All of them. I love the whole series and it was impossible for me to choose just one or even a couple games. I am just so impressed with everything I've experienced in this franchise. Lovable, enthusiastic and charming characters, deep, thought-provoking cases, some of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, and genuinely enthralling stories. Somehow Capcom has made being a lawyer awesome, and they nailed it. The feeling of cornering the killers and breaking witness testimonies is just so dam satisfying and never fails to put a smile on my face. This is the power of visual novels right here. They take gripping stories and put you in the middle of it where you are the one that ultimately makes the protagonists succeed in the end. You are the one that pokes holes in testimonies and takes down criminals. You are the one that drives the story forward. And ultimately, that is what a video game should do. Making you feel like you are in a fictional world, and boy do the writers and everyone involved succeed at that. I can't sing my praises enough about this series. I have come to appreciate, admire, and care about the Ace Attorney universe, just as much as any TV show or movie. And yet, there is just one game that manages to top this list above this and everything else.

1. Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Ultimate.jpeg

Considering the website we are on, I don't think I need to explain this in-depth. Smash Ultimate is the biggest crossover of all time. Nothing compares to this. If you randomly choose a video game from the top of your head, chances are it is represented somewhere in Smash Ultimate. The character and stage roster is jaw-droppingly impressive. Almost every detail in this game from the stage cameos to the individual character animation is top notch. To think that soon we will reach 1,000+ music tracks. That is absolutely insane! There is so much variety and sometimes I boot up the game just to listen to my custom playlist. Despite my gripes with some of the aspects of the game, I adore it as it feels like a passion project just as much as a corporate product. It brings together a lot of the biggest and some of my favorite game series seamlessly, and for that, it it my favorite game.

Top Bottom