• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Diddy Discussion: The top player tier list!

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
We're all a little tired of looking at tier lists for characters, I'm sure. It's difficult to make universal statements about top tier picks in smash 4, and even more difficult is determining which players are in the top 32.
One thing that I thought would be a good change of pace from these topics is a discussion on who the best players are, and what makes them better.​

I'm sure Zero is the first runner up for best :4diddy:, but players like MVD and Angel Cortes have solo mained this character despite all the nerfs. Who are the top 10 :4diddy:'s? Who is the most advanced?

It's easy to rank these players by tournament results alone, but it's important not to count out the outliers. Players like Zinoto demonstrate advanced techniques even though we don't see as high of placements or recognition and larger tournaments. Many high placing Diddy's disappeared after the nerfs (looking at you, Jtails :pow:), and as such more recent tournament results should probably be taken into higher consideration.

In any case, I'm sure there is lots to discuss here, so go wild!​

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
ZeRo is the most advanced Diddy Kong. He gets some flak for not pushing the Shiek meta, and mainly copying other Shieks, but it is exactly the opposite with Diddy. His traps are unimaginably complex. I watched his set vs. Mr. R at half speed, pausing to take down my notes, and I am pretty sure I only understood half of the traps he used completely. His diddy kong is insane.

Other then @TSM ZeRo there is probably @MVD and then Angel Cortez. Followed by Zinoto (Closely) and then Dyr and the others like C3PO.

Without a doubt, ZeRo is the most advanced and best Diddy player.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
ZeRo > Zinoto > Nietono > MVD > Ryuji > Angel > JJ > Jtails+others that I can't accurately rank because they don't travel enough or I don't see their results.

Last edited:

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Top 3

ZeRo
Zinoto
MVD (when doesnt try stupid set ups)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
MVD would've ranked second easily if he just managed to beat Nairo's ZSS when he should've. Nothing against you my man MVD, but I was probably as bummed as you when you lost that set due to early gimpings. It would've made Diddy look far better in comparison as well. Still can't believe Sonic, Ryu, Mario, Pikachu and Fox all rank higher than him on the Tier List.

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
At G3 Zinoto and Nietono had the best results among the solo Diddy Kong mains, both placing 25th.

I think MVD and Zinoto are quite even (MVD coming close to beating Nairo, Zinoto going even with Ally in nearly every Michigan GF's), but Nietono seems like a higher level Diddy than either. He lost to Dabuz who was on a rampage at G3, I think at another tournament Nietono would be a monster and definitely has potential to be among the top Diddy's.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's a serious lack of competitive Diddy's and that's a shame, because he has potential. I wish there was a ADHD of Smash 4 Diddy,,, Someone who would push the character to greater limits. ZeRo didn't vote on the recent tier list, and neither did any Diddy player, so we're stuck at #9 while Diddy should be Top 5 especially when Ryu and Pikachu can make it that high. I want a Diddy beating Fox, Sonic, Mario, Ryu and Pikachu players to convince our character is better. Cause I think he is at full potential. And am still hoping for buffs to our air game. I miss F Air doing a solid 13~15% damage

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I think after his performance at Landlocked Zinoto can pretty solidly say he's the 2nd best Diddy

Sonicninja115

I think after his performance at Landlocked Zinoto can pretty solidly say he's the 2nd best Diddy
Except that MVD did really well at Beast and has a winning record over Mr. R and has almost beaten Nairo. MVD has placed top 8 at many major tournies and has only recently slipped, although he is now coming back to top level again. I think it is a bit too soon to say Zinoto is better...

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
Except that MVD did really well at Beast and has a winning record over Mr. R and has almost beaten Nairo. MVD has placed top 8 at many major tournies and has only recently slipped, although he is now coming back to top level again. I think it is a bit too soon to say Zinoto is better...

While I agree that MVD has been returning to his original success lately, Zinoto has consistently placed well and recently has a winning streak against Ally. Can MVD say he's double eliminated Dabuz before? He's only almost beaten Nairo and I don't think this compares. Zinoto is at least equal to MVD as a player, if not the better Diddy. At Genesis 3 Zinoto finished in 25th place while MVD got 33rd. I'm not calling MVD overrated, but he travels so much more than Zinoto has. If anything, Zinoto is underrated: if he traveled more we could see the side of him that double eliminates Dabuz more often.

edit:
Here is a few sets of Zinoto success. I may have region bias, but I think anyone would be impressed by his performance if more people were aware of his resumé. What makes me sad is when people just assume MVD is the better Diddy simply because he travels more.

Zinoto vs Ally.
Grand Finals: (3-0, Zinoto wins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxXnDXIM9-c

Zinoto vs Dabuz.
Winner's bracket: (3-1, Zinoto wins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiui2iItII

Loser's Finals: (3-2, Zinoto wins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PccXQGu9lzM

Last edited:

HammyHowell

Smash Rookie
ZeRo, MVD, Zinoto, Nietono, Angel Cortes, JJRockets, Ryuji, Jtails, C3P0, Are some of the best Diddys

Edit: Order is very debatable. Idk the order.

Last edited:

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
When we have a nana in hands, we are god tier.
(Tbh Im thinking that seriously)

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
When we have a nana in hands, we are god tier.
(Tbh Im thinking that seriously)
Yes true when he has a nana in hand he basically has the best punish game ever. Tbh I have finally lost faith in this character for a while especially after talking to MVD,Zero,and ESAM about the character sometimes I feel maybe he has more going for him but I don't know a solid top 15 character but top 5? Im just not sure yet even top 10 im iffy about at times.

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I definitely think that MVD is a very good Diddy, but Zinoto has the edge. At least as far as I know you can count the amount of sets that Dabuz has lost (as RosaLuma) to not Nairo/Zero on one hand. Almosts are still almosts, MVD didn't beat Nairo, and Mr. R, while definitely a top 10 player, isn't Dabuz. I can't even think of a Supernational that Dabuz attended where he placed out of the top 3. Mr.R has sometimes not even made top 8.

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
I definitely think that MVD is a very good Diddy, but Zinoto has the edge. At least as far as I know you can count the amount of sets that Dabuz has lost (as RosaLuma) to not Nairo/Zero on one hand. Almosts are still almosts, MVD didn't beat Nairo, and Mr. R, while definitely a top 10 player, isn't Dabuz. I can't even think of a Supernational that Dabuz attended where he placed out of the top 3. Mr.R has sometimes not even made top 8.

I see the Michiganders can agree that Zinoto is best ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zinoto and MVD are both great players. But JJRockets also shouldn't be overlooked.
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong you think Diddy is top 5? How???
Well? He's got great matchups against the most common, absolute Top Tiers. 55-45 against :4sheik: is amazing, and our neutral makes it close to even- this is why ZeRo absolutely dominates Sheiks. VS :4zss: we probably hold an advantage due to results and ZSS's lack of dealing with our neutral / options. I'd say we beat :4zss: as solidly as :4sheik: beats us.

:rosalina: is more difficult, but it's not too hard to work around her Luma. Plus, the character is on a decline, and was never as popular as Sheik / ZSS anyway. Probably 60-40, we don't lose that hard.

:4fox: is difficult in some cases, Diddy really needs to adapt to much faster play than usual when dealing with Fox. A matchup we need to be on the lookout for, but luckily we can outspace him and our approach is good vs Fox. Also, we can kill and gimp him early. I'd say, the matchup requires work, but is as "bad" as our :4sheik: MU. (Against Sheik however, this is less of a problem because of Sheik being metagame monster :rolleyes: )

:4mario: is pretty much even, used to think it was in our disadvantage however.

:4pikachu: isn't common at all, and I see no reason to fear Pikachu unless the Pika player is expert in the Match Up.

We beat :4metaknight: & :4ryu:, results back this up. I also believe we beat :4ness:, Ness players love to think they beat us. No, they just have tools to wall us out more than other characters, but in the end, if we just don't get hit by PK Fire, F Air, and ultimately don't get killed by a B Throw, we win. We need to take care of approaching in the air however.

:4sonic: is pretty much even to I'd say, maybe we hold an advantage actually... Not too knowledgable on Sonic, but he's not beating us, that's a thing for sure.

:4cloud: is a pain in the ass to fight, but that goes for everyone who isn't Sheik, basically. I don't believe we lose this badly, but a disadvantage is certain. His range, speed and projectile are annoying to deal with, as of now. It could be that we have some matchup inexperience, as Cloud is a rather recent character- but it's speculated that Cloud and Diddy are about as viable as each other, and they compete for Spot #3~4, probably because I think both :4diddy:&:4cloud: > :rosalina:.

Now there's also :4villager: who's a real pain in the ass, but if we can keep our Banana in our own hands, the matchup is in our favor, easily.

Taking in account that most Top Tiers have matchups they lose, I see :4diddy:as a strong contender for Top 5, mostly cause he actually wins against Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. Only Cloud does it in a similar manner, so I guess Diddy & Cloud could potentially throw Rosalina out of Top 5.

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
Zinotos resume continues to grow, knocking out M2K from Shuffle VIII. Just like last year, except M2K is actually considered a top player now lma9

Nuklear

Smash Rookie
Hi, I don't mean to revive a dead thread(I mean, that's totes my intention) but here is a video of my bud, he's definitely an up and coming Smash 4 Diddy player.

Good tech, but disrespectful when flustered I suppose. It's not Melee, but still, Hungrybox knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAHkZRysrs

Jtails

Smash Lord
fair enough, I'd like to say that I haven't "disappeared" only that I'm in graduate school and working full time now. After placing 9th at Apex 2015, 33rd at EVO and 45th at Genesis 3. I have been declining in placings, but moreso that my seeding has become utter trash.

Void was my round 2 match in CEO pools, then Trela directly after. I don't think many players in the world could even beat those two.

EVO was similar, and now for CEO I have Trela in my pool once again, so I'm going to do my best to remain on top, but I can only do so much when I'm fighting a top 5 placer, in round 1 of nationals. I also graduate this month, so I'll have a lot more time to allocate to practicing and trying to come back stronger. I have not been able to put in the time required to stay on top, and I recognize that. I'm looking to grind and learn all I can from you guys who have been putting in all the hours. Granted I still do well at most locals and KTAR events, still placing top 8, I'm just never a highlight usually. My next events will be CEO, EVO, Smash Con and Genesis 4, so please be on the lookout and I'll be doing my best to remain relevant.

A lot of the other Diddy players get so much more praise because they are able to travel and play against a multitude of players, whereas I'm a bit older (27) so I do need to focus on life security and a career path, a graduate degree isn't easy but I'm almost done. I'd also be happy to discuss anything and bounce ideas off you guys.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

fair enough, I'd like to say that I haven't "disappeared" only that I'm in graduate school and working full time now. After placing 9th at Apex 2015, 33rd at EVO and 45th at Genesis 3. I have been declining in placings, but moreso that my seeding has become utter trash.

Void was my round 2 match in CEO pools, then Trela directly after. I don't think many players in the world could even beat those two.

EVO was similar, and now for CEO I have Trela in my pool once again, so I'm going to do my best to remain on top, but I can only do so much when I'm fighting a top 5 placer, in round 1 of nationals. I also graduate this month, so I'll have a lot more time to allocate to practicing and trying to come back stronger. I have not been able to put in the time required to stay on top, and I recognize that. I'm looking to grind and learn all I can from you guys who have been putting in all the hours. Granted I still do well at most locals and KTAR events, still placing top 8, I'm just never a highlight usually. My next events will be CEO, EVO, Smash Con and Genesis 4, so please be on the lookout and I'll be doing my best to remain relevant.

A lot of the other Diddy players get so much more praise because they are able to travel and play against a multitude of players, whereas I'm a bit older (27) so I do need to focus on life security and a career path, a graduate degree isn't easy but I'm almost done. I'd also be happy to discuss anything and bounce ideas off you guys.
Best of luck!

Top Bottom