• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Top 8 for Smash Wii U Predictions

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
There's a thread like this for melee, so thought why not make one for Smash 4? Who do you think will make the top 8 with reasoning or without?

For me it's gotta be:
Nakat (MAH BOY)
Nairo
M2K
Ally
6WX
Dabuz
Anti
Zucco

Always rooting for Nakat, #ONNETBOYZ #ONNETGIRLZ

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Esam, False, MrR, Anti, Zero, Nakat, JTails, Nairo are my predictions for top 8/

I think it'll go like this.

Zero
ESAM
False (If he plays the same as he did in Xanadu/Collision)
FOW
Nairo
Nakat
JTails
MrR

Just outside
Ally (Haven't seen much of his matches, but I'm sure he's great.)
M2K (entering all four tourneys doubles/singles puts him here for me.)
Dabuz (People are playing better and better vs Rosaline now)
6WX

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
My updated list:

NAKAT
Nairo
False/ZeRo
ZeRo/False
Ally
M2K
ESAM
6WX

Jtails is also a great candidate, but I feel 6WX takes that 8th spot.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Anyone been watching Zero's matches against Nairo, uploaded to his channel? Zero hasn't lost a first-to-five-wins match yet.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Anyone been watching Zero's matches against Nairo, uploaded to his channel? Zero hasn't lost a first-to-five-wins match yet.
ZeRo and False got good FAST. Like, they were always good, but they improved and passed up the competition real damn quick.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
ZeRo and False got good FAST. Like, they were always good, but they improved and passed up the competition real damn quick.
Considering how many characters I've seen him play, I'd be surprised if Zero actually "mains" someone through the way. And I genuinely expect most of the top pros to have technology they haven't told anyone about, especially if it's for countering Diddy or Sheik.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Considering how many characters I've seen him play, I'd be surprised if Zero actually "mains" someone through the way. And I genuinely expect most of the top pros to have technology they haven't told anyone about, especially if it's for countering Diddy or Sheik.
:O
That would be definitely interesting.

Djent

Smash Champion
My recklessly speculative list. Players aren't listed in order of expected placing, but are ordered based on perceived chance of winning the whole thing. Even the best players here have slim chances because the competition is so goddamn stacked.

Choco - I don't think a lot of American players realize how good this guy is. He was arguably the best ZSS at the very end of Brawl (by a wide margin) and he's placed top 3 at every single Smash 4 tourney he's entered (barring 5th at a single-elim. tourney where he lost to the 1st place finisher). I actually think he has the best chance of winning the entire tournament off of MU experience, if only because he has phenomenal Diddy practice from Rain, whereas American Diddies have Nairo's relatively-unpolished ZSS. Less-experienced Kongs (read: not Zero) will have no chance at scrubbing him out, so his extraordinary talent will likely carry him well into finals day.
Zero - Not really much to say here. IMO he's vastly favored against every single opponent except Choco (who will likely give him trouble, if not outright beat him). Because of his consistency, I think he has the best chance of anyone to make the top 8 (although Choco edges him out in the odds for the #1 spot due to MU experience factors).
ESAM - A disgustingly good player, who now has the luxury of maining a disgustingly good character. He's had some unexpected losses as of late (Zex, M2K, most of Pool B at the Clash Invitational :urg:), so I can't rank him as high as I otherwise would have. Nonetheless, I think he's the only player who I'd be surprised to see losing to Choco, mainly because of his MU experience vs. NickRiddle and his character's innate strengths in the ZSS MU.
FOW - No one besides maybe Zero is working as hard as this guy. He barely enters any big tournaments, which makes it hard for me to gauge his exact abilities. Nonetheless, he has wins over ESAM and Ally and played a very close set vs. Zero. The amount of time he's put into the game ensures that he's unlikely to lose based on MU inexperience, which is certainly still a global issue at this point in the game's lifespan.
Mr-R - This guy has placed top 4 at two incredibly stacked invitationals. I'd be remiss not to put him on this list. I feel bad for not having him higher, which is not a function of his weaknesses, but only of a few other players' incredible strengths. He is easily the strongest Falcon and arguably the strongest Sheik in attendance.
Nairo - After a period of inconsistent placings, Nairo is looking incredibly threatening now that he has a ZSS and (thankfully) plays Robin less. At his best he can take anyone, but I think he has a much higher chance of getting "randomed out" than anyone above him on this list, which significantly hurts his chances of winning a tourney with 800+ entrants.
Ally - With Anti not in attendance, Ally is the plumber to look out for. With a major win and a top 8 invitational finish under his belt already, I'd be surprised not to see him do well. Realistically, I don't think he's favored against the first 3 names on this list, and he's already lost a close set to FOW. Nonetheless, I can't see him losing to "randoms" and I think he can easily beat all but a dozen or so players, so he's still got a (slim) shot at winning the whole thing.
Dabuz - Dabuz came out of the gate strong, but then fizzled out for awhile after Rosalina's nerfs and Diddy's ascendancy. Nonetheless, he's been placing really well again recently with the assistance of a pocket Olimar. Having a strong counterpick for Rosalina's bad MUs makes Dabuz a stronger contender than any of the lesser galaxy-dwellers, since she can still do work against characters that aren't Diddy or Pika.

I fully expect to be wrong on several picks, but I'm confident this list at least somewhat resembles what we'll see on Feb. 1st. I am very excited for Smash's EVO and can't wait to be (partially) proven wrong. :demon:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
My recklessly speculative list. Players aren't listed in order of expected placing, but are ordered based on perceived chance of winning the whole thing. Even the best players here have slim chances because the competition is so goddamn stacked.

Choco - I don't think a lot of American players realize how good this guy is. He was arguably the best ZSS at the very end of Brawl (by a wide margin) and he's placed top 3 at every single Smash 4 tourney he's entered (barring 5th at a single-elim. tourney where he lost to the 1st place finisher). I actually think he has the best chance of winning the entire tournament off of MU experience, if only because he has phenomenal Diddy practice from Rain, whereas American Diddies have Nairo's relatively-unpolished ZSS. Less-experienced Kongs (read: not Zero) will have no chance at scrubbing him out, so his extraordinary talent will likely carry him well into finals day.
Zero - Not really much to say here. IMO he's vastly favored against every single opponent except Choco (who will likely give him trouble, if not outright beat him). Because of his consistency, I think he has the best chance of anyone to make the top 8 (although Choco edges him out in the odds for the #1 spot due to MU experience factors).
ESAM - A disgustingly good player, who now has the luxury of maining a disgustingly good character. He's had some unexpected losses as of late (Zex, M2K, most of Pool B at the Clash Invitational :urg:), so I can't rank him as high as I otherwise would have. Nonetheless, I think he's the only player who I'd be surprised to see losing to Choco, mainly because of his MU experience vs. NickRiddle and his character's innate strengths in the ZSS MU.
FOW - No one besides maybe Zero is working as hard as this guy. He barely enters any big tournaments, which makes it hard for me to gauge his exact abilities. Nonetheless, he has wins over ESAM and Ally and played a very close set vs. Zero. The amount of time he's put into the game ensures that he's unlikely to lose based on MU inexperience, which is certainly still a global issue at this point in the game's lifespan.
Mr-R - This guy has placed top 4 at two incredibly stacked invitationals. I'd be remiss not to put him on this list. I feel bad for not having him higher, which is not a function of his weaknesses, but only of a few other players' incredible strengths. He is easily the strongest Falcon and arguably the strongest Sheik in attendance.
Nairo - After a period of inconsistent placings, Nairo is looking incredibly threatening now that he has a ZSS and (thankfully) plays Robin less. At his best he can take anyone, but I think he has a much higher chance of getting "randomed out" than anyone above him on this list, which significantly hurts his chances of winning a tourney with 800+ entrants.
Ally - With Anti not in attendance, Ally is the plumber to look out for. With a major win and a top 8 invitational finish under his belt already, I'd be surprised not to see him do well. Realistically, I don't think he's favored against the first 3 names on this list, and he's already lost a close set to FOW. Nonetheless, I can't see him losing to "randoms" and I think he can easily beat all but a dozen or so players, so he's still got a (slim) shot at winning the whole thing.
Dabuz - Dabuz came out of the gate strong, but then fizzled out for awhile after Rosalina's nerfs and Diddy's ascendancy. Nonetheless, he's been placing really well again recently with the assistance of a pocket Olimar. Having a strong counterpick for Rosalina's bad MUs makes Dabuz a stronger contender than any of the lesser galaxy-dwellers, since she can still do work against characters that aren't Diddy or Pika.

I fully expect to be wrong on several picks, but I'm confident this list at least somewhat resembles what we'll see on Feb. 1st. I am very excited for Smash's EVO and can't wait to be (partially) proven wrong. :demon:
I actually appreciate this post a lot because I didn't know that about Choco and FOW! No Nakat though? :c

Djent

Smash Champion
I actually appreciate this post a lot because I didn't know that about Choco and FOW! No Nakat though? :c
I see NAKAT getting top 16, but not top 8. He's a fantastic player, but his recent placings have been slightly worse when there was a lot on the line (i.e., 5th at Collision X and 17th at Final Battle). He is no longer the obvious pick for "best in NY/NJ," which is (IMO) a toss-up between Anti, Dabuz, and Nairo. I gave Dabuz and Nairo spots in my top 8, and Anti will not be attending APEX. I could be letting the past few weeks influence my predictions too much, but that's an understandable failure mode when we've got <2 months of tournament results with this version of the game.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I see NAKAT getting top 16, but not top 8. He's a fantastic player, but his recent placings have been slightly worse when there was a lot on the line (i.e., 5th at Collision X and 17th at Final Battle). He is no longer the obvious pick for "best in NY/NJ," which is (IMO) a toss-up between Anti, Dabuz, and Nairo. I gave Dabuz and Nairo spots in my top 8, and Anti will not be attending APEX. I could be letting the past few weeks influence my predictions too much, but that's an understandable failure mode when we've got <2 months of tournament results with this version of the game.
Reason I don't take a couple weeks of bad placings as him doing bad at Apex is because I've seen bigger things turn around. M2K has been placing terribly for a while in Melee and not doing great at all really. Then last night, he beat Leffen 3-1 and got 2nd at Paragon. Sometimes things happen in a row and it puts people down, but people like Nakat get right back up and decide to do good again. When Nakat pushes he does well, and I'm hoping that we see that at Apex.

Yes, I have a bias for Nakat as being a huge fan of him, however, I'm not the 100% biased NAKAT WILL WIN EVERYTHING fan, I know he makes mistakes and may not be the best, but I know he has a shot at winning too.

Djent

Smash Champion
Oh I agree he has a chance, I'm just trying to optimally hedge my bets. That's not a guarantee. Very few people would have been wise to bet on Salem, for instance, and people had less reason to expect his victory than you do NAKAT's.

And (I'm sure you know this), anyone who says ___ WILL WIN EVERYTHING is probably full of it.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Oh I agree he has a chance, I'm just trying to optimally hedge my bets. That's not a guarantee. Very few people would have been wise to bet on Salem, for instance, and people had less reason to expect his victory than you do NAKAT's.

And (I'm sure you know this), anyone who says ___ WILL WIN EVERYTHING is probably full of it.
Yeah pretty much. And oh, I know he likely won't win, but I'm cheering him on as one of my favorite Smashers. ^^ Same with Nairo and ZeRo, who I feel have a better chance overall.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
im hoping izaw shows some of the mad tech skill he does in videos ,,,also i want to see japans top players,,,,,,,oh and dk will huge fan of him

Tempus

Smash Cadet
My predictions for top 8:

1. Zero (Diddy)
Consistently top player in Smash 4, nearly undefeated.​
2. FOW (Ness / Duck Hunt Dog)
Super knowledgeable, has taken sets from Ally, Nakat, Esam, Nairo, one of the few to win any matches against Zero at all.​
3. Dabuz (Rosalina / Olimar)
A beast with Rosalina, how far he goes is gonna be determined almost entirely by when he faces Zero's Diddy.​
4. Nairo (Dark Pit / Robin / Others)
Does some serious work with characters others have dismissed. Has taken sets from half the people on this list consistently.​
5. Ally (Mario / Shulk)
Top Canadian Smasher, has taken sets from many top players. Well known for being top 5 Brawl player.​
5. Choco (ZSS)
Hard to place Choco since the JP scene is so different, but watching his play it's clear to see he's top level.​
7. Alphicans (Little Mac)
An underrated Canadian smasher, he's taken sets from Mr. R, 6wx, and others. Struggles with some match ups.​
7. Nakat (Ness, Fox)
Well known top smasher, but has been inconsistent the last month and one week might not be enough to pull it together.

Top 16:

Mr.R (Sheik), False (Luigi), ESAM (Pikachu), 6wx (Sonic), Mew2King (Diddy), Zucco (Megaman), Boss (Luigi), Cyve (Diddy), DaPuff (Mii Brawler)

That said, there are a lot of players signed up. There's bound to be at least one dark horse who just doesn't live in a zone they stream tourneys from. Especially the international players, no one is gonna put down a couple thousand for a tourney unless they think they have a shot of getting out of pools.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
After reading some people's reasoning and watching more gameplay of people I haven't seen much of.

1. Nairo
2. ZeRo
3. FOW
4. Ally
5. Nakat (Still cheering for him to get first!)
5. ESAM
7. Zucco (This guy is really good)
7. False / M2K / Anti (really any of them could take this spot)

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Top 16:

Mr.R (Sheik), Anti, False (Luigi), ESAM (Pikachu), 6wx (Sonic), Mew2King (Diddy), DaPuff (Mii Brawler), Zucco (Megaman)
Oh I don't think you should be expecting me to be top 16 at Apex, cause I'm not going since my character is banned lol.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
That makes me sad in my heart, your 2222 Mii Brawler is a living endorsement of why a TO should give players all the options they can offer them.

Akago

Smash Cadet
Not entirely sure on this, I only really follow 5-6 players in Wii U but I'd guess:

1) ZeRo
2) Choco
3) Nairo
4) Mr R
5) NAKAT
6) False
7) Mew2King
8) ESAM

I think ZeRo is really a given, I just think he's the best player in Smash 4 at the moment. His transition from Brawl and PM into Smash 4 was so smooth and he has been doing really well so far.

Mew2King is so low mainly since he's doing all the Singles and Doubles events. I think he'll do his usual "top 8 in everything but not winning" things. Maybe he'll win 1 of his events, and then just place really well across the board.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
I guess you haven't been following all my results along with Nairo's. Even the circumstances played under during final battle.

Anti has only gone to one event....

However let's see how it all plays out!

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
1. ZeRo - Always consistent with Diddy. He's by far the best Diddy Kong player.
2. Mr. R - Near perfect execution with everything he does. I could even say he might win but with the way ZeRo has been playing it might be way harder than the first time they played.
3. Nakat - Super solid and has the mind set to get top 3 hands down.
4. NME Zex - The boy has been playing near perfect for a couple weeks now. If he plays strong he'll either be top 4 or top 16. One of SoCal's finest.
5. Rain - A lot of people sleeping on him right now. He's always shown great promise in games he plays and is probably the best in Japan.
6. Esam - Do I really need to explain?
7. NME Nanerz - No one knows about one's NorCal's best players. There will be a lot of upsets happening for sure.
8. 6WX - If continues his rampage through all the good players and masters the Diddy / Sonic match up he'll make top 8 hands down.
8. (Alternate 8th) Zucco - He could take it from 6WX if they meet up again. Last time he beat him so it is possible for him to break top 8 if he runs into him again. Mega Man has a lot of promise.

Tempus

Smash Cadet
Nietono was a beast at last night, he's a lot better than I recall from the JP streams.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964

Pretty much agree I think we will definitely see some dark horses though, at least I hope! Btw any idea why Anti isn't competing in Apex? He's only been to one legit tournament but pretty much swept the competition against Dabuz, Nakat, Nairo, False. I think if he would've entered he would of been a force to reckon with for sure, best Mario and Luigi main I've seen and Sm4sh player in general, which is why I find it so unfortunate he's not playing.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Did ADHD enter this year's Apex? I haven't heard anything about him being at this tournament, which is weird considering his past involvement with Apex and how well he excels at Diddy Kong.

Top Bottom