• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Top 5 Smash Shorts] - Week 8 ft. Zelda, Ganondorf, Mario, DK, and... Zero?

T
his week's Weekly Top 5 Smash Shorts series features some cool plays from some unexpected characters: Zelda who is known for being bottom tier and... Zero from Mega Man? Aww yiss.

What is a Smash Short? As the name suggests, it's a quick moment or series of events in Smash that is so good that you have to share it with someone. And we're giving you (yes, you) the opportunity to share those moments for a chance to be selected as one of the Top 5.
Congratulations to Week 8's winners!
#1 @Yorsh (Zero): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3V...
#2 @rodbod (Ganondorf): N/A
#3 @WalnutSSB (DK): https://twitter.com/WalnutSSB
#4 @Mooncake (Zelda): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFVn...
#5 @AcidtoneX58 (Mario): https://www.twitter.com/acidtonex58

Check the links below to learn how you can submit your content right here on Smashboards:
Rules to Submit a Smash Short and Past Results Archive
Week 9's Official Submission Thread - Deadline: Sunday, 11/15/15

Not a member? Join today and submit your best!

Missed the first few videos? Catch them here.

Last edited:
Stephen "Omni" Silver

Comments

This is cool and all, but why is this happening?

Zero is never going to get into Smash, so there is no reason for him to go on like this.

Just...what IS he fighting for?...

I keep getting mixed reviews about when the recap with commentary should be. It's almost split right down the middle.

Some people like the slow-motion, stop 'n go analysis first; then the full version second. Others like it reversed (seen in this video).

WHAT TO DOOOO

I keep getting mixed reviews about when the recap with commentary should be. It's almost split right down the middle.

Some people like the slow-motion, stop 'n go analysis first; then the full version second. Others like it reversed (seen in this video).

WHAT TO DOOOO
This way simply makes more sense. You first get to see what the player did. And then analyze how he or she did what they did.

It's like school. They show you a brand new problem you've never done before and then teach you everything behind it.

WHAT TO DOOOO
This probably doesn't help but I would probably go with original clip first, analysis second. Good footage kind of speaks for itself when being viewed by someone knowledgeable in the game, so I think the unedited replay should be shown first so the viewers can try to analyse the footage themselves and see if they can comprehend it, test their own knowledge and ACTIVELY watch the replay, if you will.

If they can't, then you following up with an analysis, fills in any blanks for them. If done the other way around though, people can't really analyse on their own without skipping your own analysis. Not only does that make things less involved for the viewers, but it could decrease the retention time of your videos if they actually do opt to skip your analysis so they can just do it themselves. Most people probably wouldn't mind watching your analysis after seeing the initial replay, since depending on the person, it's a paraphrasing of the viewers established thoughts, or they are learning something new.

The way this video does it, just kinda pleases most kinds of people, I reckon.

Last edited:

WHAT TO DOOOO

Ask them for their arguments. Don't listen to yes or no but listen to valid reasons. I've mentioned it before but normal speed replay first is way, way better. My arguments are that I can get suprised during the actual replay and then when it gets slow replayed I get to really analyze what is going on and often appreciate the play even more.

I think this is the better way to go. Normal footage first, and then analyze it. Hands down!

Good work as usual by the way, I do enjoy these videos. They are edited well and you have a great pace on your explanation/analysis.

Ask them for their arguments. Don't listen to yes or no but listen to valid reasons. I've mentioned it before but normal speed replay first is way, way better. My arguments are that I can get suprised during the actual replay and then when it gets slow replayed I get to really analyze what is going on and often appreciate the play even more.
My argument for analysis first, gameplay second is that I'm primarily a melee player and don't understand everything that happens if I'm shown the raw clip first. Thus, showing the footage after analyzing it gives me a better appreciation for it. So I like the first way better.

Also Omni you don't necessarily have to decide between them; alternating between the two styles could work fine.

Our lovely @Mooncake sisteren has been noticed by Youtube Senpai. She has now ascended to immortal royalty.

Tho... It was against a fellow bottom tier character sister. :secretkpop:

Last edited:
I like it this way better, that way, I'm not interrupted when trying to watch the sequence, and breaking it down later solidifies what I just saw but in slow motion.

I find the analysis first more interesting. You get to see the play step-by-step and then get to see it all come together in the end. Build up and pay off. The other way around, after seeing the play full speed, I don't really want to see it again. It just seems redundant. A slow motion explanation after just seems like a waste of time since I already know what I just saw.

Either way, good luck Omni. Smash fans are passionate and love to argue over stupid things, so no matter what someone's gonna be salty.

WHAT TO DOOOO
IMO it's wayyy better to show the clip in real time, then break it down in slow motion. It just makes way more sense, and makes the videos flow better. You get to see a good play in real time, then it gets slowed down and you break it down move by move.

Still waiting for you to do one of these for some melee combos, Smash as summit gave you more than enough clips to work with :p

Cheers

WHAT TO DOOOO
Just mix it up and keep 'em guessin

IMO it's wayyy better to show the clip in real time, then break it down in slow motion. It just makes way more sense, and makes the videos flow better. You get to see a good play in real time, then it gets slowed down and you break it down move by move.

Still waiting for you to do one of these for some melee combos, Smash as summit gave you more than enough clips to work with :p

Cheers
Smash Shorts won't involve tournament plays! That's what EMG is for. Smash Shorts is strictly plays from non-tournament footage i.e. casual play with friends or netplays.

Smash Shorts won't involve tournament plays! That's what EMG is for. Smash Shorts is strictly plays from non-tournament footage i.e. casual play with friends or netplays.
Ah I understand. Makes total sense.

Does that mean I might be able to submit a melee clip if I get some good footage? My crew plays once a week and we're starting to see some really high level plays & DI Mixups. Haven't recorded any matches yet but planning on doing so in the near future to study mistakes & improve.

Take it easy.

Top Bottom