• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 10 Most Wanted Newcomers for Smash Switch!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
10. Sceptile/Decidueye (Pokémon)
9. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
8. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
7. Rhythm Heaven representative
6. Andy/Sami (Advance Wars)
5. Chibi-Robo
4. Banjo and Kazooie
3. King K.Rool ( Donkey Kong)
2 Rayman
1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
Honorable Mentions: Ashley, Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd Irving, Professor Layton, Excite Bike, Dixie Kong, Elma, Shantae, ARMS character, A Goron ( any Goron whether it's Goron Link, Darunia or Daruk)
Time for an update that is bigger and better :bluejump:
10. PROFESSOR LAYTON- I've never played a single Layton game in my life but the way fans describe his potential moveset make me hyped just thinking about it. He has a unique personality and it's just one of those characters that the Smash team can get really creative with. Aside from Doctor Mario there isn't any characters that represent the important genre of puzzle games and the Nintendo DS which is Nintendo's biggest console of all time has no characters at all which is head scratching (Lucario doesn't count, he was in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on GBA). The Layton games were staples in the DS library and I'd love to see how he is executed

9. LLOYD IRVING (Tales of Symphonia) - Tales is an awesome JRPG franchise that deserves some love in Smash. I love Lloyd's playstyle in SSF2 and he would make alot of people happy

8. SAKI/ISA JO (Sin and Punishment) - Sin and Punishment is unique IP for Nintendo that needs to be capitalised on. Think Kid Icarus's flight sections but dialed up to 11. Saki or Isa have potential to be some of the coolest characters in Smash. He's the type of character that you would never think you wanted until he got in

7. RHYTHM HEAVEN character- Rhythm Heaven is the most prominent and successful Nintendo IP that has not seen a playable character in Smash. Given how likely it is that the Gematsu Leak possibly stems from the planning stages of Smash 4 and seeing how the Chorus Kids are the only ones on that list that didn't make it to Smash, they have a good chance to make it in. There are a ton of wacky characters and mini games to pull from for a rhythm and timing focused moveset that would be really cool if executed correctly

6. RAY (Custom Robo)- I have only recently started playing the one for the Gamecube but man is the gameplay good. He could've really taken advantage of custom moves in Smash 4 but I have a plan for Ultimate, he can change his guns, pods and bombs through taunts to mix up his gameplay. This type of gameplay style would make him an instant fan favorite and would bring exposure to Custom Robo which would make for a great esport in tournaments

5. Chibi-Robo- This poor little guy deserves it after having a struggling time recently. They could do so much thing with his plug and all the little tools you get in his game like the toothbrush and his blaster would be awesome to use. The series has potential and Chibi-Robo in Smash would be enough to save this little guy

4. ANDY/SAMI(Advance Wars) - The Wars series is a staple in Intelligent System's history and if we can add so much Fire Emblem characters then someone from Wars deserves a chance honestly. A protagonist from the Advance line of games would be a great fit in the roster and seeing all the troops you can use in game could be used in such cool ways. With the success of Fire Emblem in recent times, Advance Wars definitely deserves a comeback

3. BANJO & KAZOOIE- Smash is a game that celebrates Nintendo history and Rare's influence on Nintendo's home consoles during the SNES and N64 era was massive and it's a gap missing from the roster. The best way to fill in this gap is to bring the iconic duo to Smash! All the crazy moves they perform in the games lends itself perfectly to Smash and this is a reveal that people would get emotional over. That's how important Banjo really is!

2. RAYMAN- I grew up with his games and seeing how close Ubisoft has been with Nintendo he deserves it. There are so much moves from the large assortment of games he has and his wacky premise of having no limbs would be a perfect basic for some creative moves. I mean they had his trophy and his friends trophies in Smash 4 so why not a promotion.

1. ISAAC (Golden Sun)- I bet you saw this coming. Isaac has been deserving of a spot in Smash for over a decade now, and Golden Sun is an amazing Nintendo IP that needs more exposure. I even run a Twitter account dedicated to Isaac that has been getting alot of support amounting to over 300 followers in the two months it has been opened. At first glance he may look like a generic sword fighter that will bring nothing new to Smash but that's farther from the truth. Isaac uses venus psynergy meaning he's basically an earthbender that also controls plants as well, that alone makes him unique with all the earthbending spells he can perform but wait there's more. He can use utility psynergy to conjure giant hands he could use in interesting ways SSF2 uses this aspect of Isaac with so much depth so you could see how they did it, the weapons Isaac uses also have special critical spells called 'Unleashes' such as Sol Blade's Meggido. Finally Isaac could use creatures called djinn that are divided into four elements for class changes and new spells to unlock that can borrow moves from other elements. I'd also really dig an echo of Isaac based on Felix

HONARABLE MENTIONS (Not in order)
Crash Bandicoot, Black Shadow, Bandana Dee, Geno, Professor Layton, Excite Bike/Mach Rider, Dixie Kong, Crono, Elma, Shantae, Skull Kid, ARMS character, A Goron ( any Goron whether it's Goron Link, Darunia or Daruk), Mike Jones, Jill (Drill Dozer), Lip (Panel De Pon) (RIP Bomberman and Ashley)

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
10. King K. Rool
9. Bandanna Dee
8. Lyndis
7. Waluigi
6. Ganon
5. Banjo & Kazooie
4. Shovel Knight
3. Cranky Kong
2. Bomberman
1. Rex & Pyra

Honorable mentions:
11. Shantae
12. Ridley
13. Isaac
14. Inceneroar
15. Krystal

After re-evaluating my feelings on who I want in smash I've realized that my feelings have changed a bit about certain characters.

Edit: I somehow forgot about Ganon...
Well time for a revision

10. Isabelle (as Villager's echo fighter)
9. Birdo (as yoshi's echo fighter)
8. Inceneroar
7. Isaac
6. Dixie Kong
5. Ganon (as in the heavy pig ganon from the classic Zelda games)
4. Shantae
3. Bandana Dee
2. Rex & Pyra
1. Banjo & Kazooie

fell out of love with Cranky Kong as a character and Dixie caught me on the rebound and filled the void for another DK rep XD. Also since I didn't have anyone else I wanted to see as a full character I added in echo's that I thought would be interesting.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
10. Issac
9. Lloyd
8. Zack Fair
7. Shadow
6. Rex +Pyra / Mythra
5. Addam (Xeno 2, Torna iteration not wielding Mythra)
4. Joker (Persona 5)
3. Neku
2. Shantae
1. Sora

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
since king K. rool got confirmed i guess i have to update my list:
1. Geno (SMRPG)
2. Isaac (Golden sun)
3. Alex Kidd
4. Ninten (Mother)
5. Grovyle (PMD)
6. Rayman
7. Captian Rainbow
8. Skull Kid (zelda)
9. Crash bandicoot
10. Harry (teleroboxer)

honorable mentions:
-Nester (Nintendo power)
-Spyro
-Hakkun (Sutte hakkun)
-Daroach (kirby)
-Black Shadow (F-Zero)
-Boshi (SMRPG)
-Captian Syrup (wario land)
-CATS (zero wing)

what i removed from my list were Ridley, King K. rool, Bomberman, Sukapon after they got de/confirmed
i feel Geno and Isaac and Skull kid are already in the game

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
  1. Banjo-Kazooie: My all-time number one pick for Super Smash Bros. since the series' inception back in 1999, Banjo-Kazooie have fallen on hard times in recent years due to their acquisition by Microsoft after their parent company Rare was bought from Nintendo. Since their acquisition, the bear and bird have had a grand total of one and a half games (including a skin in Minecraft and guest starring in the Xbox version of Sonic Sega All Stars Racing), the one game of which wasn't even a proper sequel to their previous platforming outings. And that was ten YEARS ago. A decade of wallowing in obscurity for the bear and bird. This is criminal since they are Nintendo 64 ICONS. Their two games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are platforming masterpieces filled to the brim with collectibles, crazy and colorful characters, vibrant cartoony themed worlds, and a plethora of moves for combat and transportation. These two are practically BEGGING to be in Super Smash Bros., they have history with Nintendo, representing the N64 era which surprisingly has not had a lot of real representation in Smash despite first starting on there, the head of Xbox Phil Spencer has give his blessing several times to allow the bear and bird in Smash, Sakurai considered them for Smash in the past, Microsoft currently has nothing substantial planned for them, their entire movesets from both of their games are EASILY translatable into the world of Smash and would bring a unique set of characters to the roster, they were pretty highly requested in the Smash Ballot, and its their twentieth anniversary since their first solo outing as well as ten years since their last solo outing. Of course, they should appear as they did in the N64-era with updated graphics and come along with their own home stage, Spiral Mountain! If these two made it in, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would truly be one of my all-time favorite games. Make the dream happen, Sakurai, Nintendo, & Microsoft!
  2. Simon Belmont (Castlevania): I love old school games getting update representation in Smash. From the now iconic Ice Climbers getting into Melee, to Pit and R.O.B. getting into Brawl, and even Little Mac and Duck Hunt making it into the newest iterations of Smash for Wii U & 3DS! It only makes sense to have another newcomer from the NES/Famicom era make it into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. But who, you may ask? Why the slayer of vampires, who else? Simon Belmont is owned by Konami, who previously had Solid Snake as their representation in Smash and for a while it seemed iffy that they would play ball with Nintendo. But lo and behold, Snake made his triumphant return as a veteran at last and even Bomberman has come as an assist trophy! So why not Simon Belmont join as the other representative of Konami as Sega and Capcom have Sonic & Bayonetta and Mega Man & Ryu, respectively? Simon Belmont could represent the old-school horror genre of gaming in a way that we’ve yet to see in Smash, his games having hit the NES/SNES systems with a bang and having a bit of history with Nintendo. With his whip as his primary weapon, along with an array of various monster-killing weapons at his disposal, he’s ready made for Smash Bros. as is. Of course, I personally would prefer him to be an updated version of his classic NES style instead of any modern interpretation of him. And he should obviously have a stage based on the classic Castlevania games.
  3. Rayman: Everyone’s raving about the Rabbids coming into Smash, but me personally, I’d prefer the originator of those bizarre bunnies, Rayman. A unique and cartoony character with floating hands and feet, Rayman is Ubisoft’s mascot and is, like the other characters on here, primed and ready for Smash. His moveset is easily adapted for Smash, every main game of his has had some incarnation on a Nintendo console, and he would once again bring some uniqueness to Smash with his style and flair.
  4. Shovel Knight: The indie scene has made a big splash on the Switch, with tons of developers bringing their ideas and characters to the new console for people to enjoy around the world and on the go. So who better to represent this boon of new games and developers than the Excavator of Evil himself, Shovel Knight! His unique look and gameplay is exactly the breath of fresh air the series needs, he would represent a medieval style that we’ve not seen a lot of in Smash, and also having anything representing the old-school genre of platforming from the NES/Super NES days is always a win for Smash. Not to mention, we have so many swordsmen/women in this series, but no shovels?! Blasphemy!
  5. Paper Mario: With Mario having an overabundance of characters already in Smash, it seems kinda silly to add yet ANOTHER Mario to the game. But Paper Mario is clearly not just any Mario. Representing the Paper Mario series of games that started on the N64, Paper Mario’s wafer-thin aesthetic is more reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch than Mario. Also instead of just copying Mario’s moveset in Smash, Paper Mario utilizes his hammer, jumping, badges, partners, and RPG-stylings from his games in Smash. Utilizing badges and partners from his first two games and his RPG style, such as charging his forward smash hammer like in his games would make him stand out from the crowd.
  6. Mach Rider/Excitebiker (NES/Famicom Retro Racing Rep): Another NES rep that would be super cool, either Mach Rider or Excitebiker (maybe even both as alternate skins?) would be very interesting, maybe being a Captain Falcon Echo Fighter with a Wario Bike/Bowser Jr. side-B move? I don't know, I just think retro characters are really neat especially how they've translated characters like Ice Climbers, Pit, and Little Mac so well!
  7. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong): A big hopeful for the longest time, King K. Rool is another heavyweight villain people would love to see make it into Smash. With a plethora of moves and identities from his boss battles in the Donkey Kong Country series, King K. Rool is easily one of the best heavyweight villains to bring into Smash with a style all his own alongside the likes of Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ridley, and King Dedede. He could also be a great boxing counterpart to the likes of Little Mac and Spring Man/Ribbon Girl.
  8. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (ARMS): As soon as ARMS was announced for the Switch as a new fighting IP for Nintendo featuring one red-and-blue stretchy-springy-armed boxer, I knew he had to be in Smash Bros. Personally, I feel like both Spring Man and Ribbon Girl should be a single character that you can choose either one for Smash, since they both seem to be the faces of ARMS. Their extendable reach and colorful personalities and appearances would be most welcomed in Smash and they can give the older veterans a run for their money, especially the likes of Little Mac, a fellow video game boxer.
  9. Isaac (Golden Sun): I’m pretty unfamiliar with the likes of Golden Sun, but Isaac seems like a character that deserves a chance in Smash, having already appeared once as an Assist Trophy. While its true he is another sword wielder, he apparently also utilizes an axe and has a lot of elemental Earth and magic attacks (or Psynergy, as its called in his series), which would be a welcomed change in the roster of sword fighters. Plus, I know a lot of people would enjoy having him in the roster.
  10. Crono (Chrono Trigger): With Cloud’s shocking inclusion in Smash, its a little surprising they chose him when he had never been on a Nintendo console. Crono on the other hand has most assuredly been on Nintendo consoles as the star of the much-lauded JRPG classic Chrono Trigger. Even though he’s a swordsman in a game filled to the brim with swordsman and women, I feel he could be unique enough with his magic abilities and unique DBZ-anime aesthetic without being Goku, lol.
Might as well update my Top 10 most wanted newcomers since two BIG ones got knocked off my list with King K. Rool AND Simon Belmont, along with Ridley at E3 and Shovel Knight confirmed as an assist trophy!
  1. Banjo-Kazooie: My all-time number one pick for Super Smash Bros. since the series' inception back in 1999, Banjo-Kazooie have fallen on hard times in recent years due to their acquisition by Microsoft after their parent company Rare was bought from Nintendo. Since their acquisition, the bear and bird have had a grand total of one and a half games (including a skin in Minecraft and guest starring in the Xbox version of Sonic Sega All Stars Racing), the one game of which wasn't even a proper sequel to their previous platforming outings. And that was ten YEARS ago. A decade of wallowing in obscurity for the bear and bird. This is criminal since they are Nintendo 64 ICONS. Their two games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie are platforming masterpieces filled to the brim with collectibles, crazy and colorful characters, vibrant cartoony themed worlds, and a plethora of moves for combat and transportation. These two are practically BEGGING to be in Super Smash Bros., they have history with Nintendo, representing the N64 era which surprisingly has not had a lot of real representation in Smash despite first starting on there, the head of Xbox Phil Spencer has give his blessing several times to allow the bear and bird in Smash, Sakurai considered them for Smash in the past, Microsoft currently has nothing substantial planned for them, their entire movesets from both of their games are EASILY translatable into the world of Smash and would bring a unique set of characters to the roster, they were pretty highly requested in the Smash Ballot, and its their twentieth anniversary since their first solo outing as well as ten years since their last solo outing. Of course, they should appear as they did in the N64-era with updated graphics and come along with their own home stage, Spiral Mountain! If these two made it in, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would truly be one of my all-time favorite games. Make the dream happen, Sakurai, Nintendo, & Microsoft!
  2. Rayman: Everyone’s raving about the Rabbids coming into Smash, but me personally, I’d prefer the originator of those bizarre bunnies, Rayman. A unique and cartoony character with floating hands and feet, Rayman is Ubisoft’s mascot and is, like the other characters on here, primed and ready for Smash. His moveset is easily adapted for Smash, every main game of his has had some incarnation on a Nintendo console, and he would once again bring some uniqueness to Smash with his style and flair.
  3. Paper Mario: With Mario having an overabundance of characters already in Smash, it seems kinda silly to add yet ANOTHER Mario to the game. But Paper Mario is clearly not just any Mario. Representing the Paper Mario series of games that started on the N64, Paper Mario’s wafer-thin aesthetic is more reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch than Mario. Also instead of just copying Mario’s moveset in Smash, Paper Mario utilizes his hammer, jumping, badges, partners, and RPG-stylings from his games in Smash. Utilizing badges and partners from his first two games and his RPG style, such as charging his forward smash hammer like in his games would make him stand out from the crowd. And even though there's already technically three Marios in this game with Luigi and Dr. Mario, 1.) They're now pretty much their own characters and Paper Mario would probably have a vastly different moveset and characteristics from any of them. 2.) They're the flagship mascots of Nintendo so they have every right to have as many reps as possible. 3.) Link has two other versions of himself as well and Marth has THREE clone/semi-clone characters with Roy, Lucina, and Chrom and everyone seems to be alright with that smh.
  4. Mach Rider/Excitebiker (NES/Famicom Retro Racing Rep): Another NES rep that would be super cool, either Mach Rider or Excitebiker (maybe even both as alternate skins?) would be very interesting, maybe being a Captain Falcon Echo Fighter with a Wario Bike/Bowser Jr. side-B move? I don't know, I just think retro characters are really neat especially how they've translated characters like Ice Climbers, Pit, and Little Mac so well!
  5. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (ARMS): As soon as ARMS was announced for the Switch as a new fighting IP for Nintendo featuring one red-and-blue stretchy-springy-armed boxer, I knew he had to be in Smash Bros. Personally, I feel like both Spring Man and Ribbon Girl should be a single character that you can choose either one for Smash, since they both seem to be the faces of ARMS. Their extendable reach and colorful personalities and appearances would be most welcomed in Smash and they can give the older veterans a run for their money, especially the likes of Little Mac, a fellow video game boxer.
  6. Isaac (Golden Sun): I’m pretty unfamiliar with the likes of Golden Sun, but Isaac seems like a character that deserves a chance in Smash, having already appeared once as an Assist Trophy. While its true he is another sword wielder, he apparently also utilizes an axe and has a lot of elemental Earth and magic attacks (or Psynergy, as its called in his series), which would be a welcomed change in the roster of sword fighters. Plus, I know a lot of people would enjoy having him in the roster.
  7. Crono (Chrono Trigger): With Cloud’s shocking inclusion in Smash, its a little surprising they chose him when he had never been on a Nintendo console. Crono on the other hand has most assuredly been on Nintendo consoles as the star of the much-lauded JRPG classic Chrono Trigger. Even though he’s a swordsman in a game filled to the brim with swordsman and women, I feel he could be unique enough with his magic abilities and unique DBZ-anime aesthetic without being Goku, lol.
  8. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars): If not Crono as a second Square-Enix rep, how about someone EVERYONE's been going nuts about hoping to get in, the powerful puppet Geno from Super Mario RPG? I know next to nothing about that game other than people LOVE it and desperately want to see Geno make it in to Smash after years of wallowing in obscurity. Even though he's only had a major role in one game, if there's one thing this particular Smash is all about, its about crowd-pleasing. And Geno would be another character to break the Internet. Not to mention he'd probably have an amazing moveset to work with!
  9. Shantae the Half-Genie Hero: While I was really hoping that Shovel Knight might get announced as a newcomer, an Assist Trophy place is nothing to shrug at! With his inclusion in Smash as the first 'indie' representative to ever make it in, this could be what opens the door for a really big indie developer to get a character in. And besides Shovel Knight, a big one that comes to mind is Shantae the Half-Genie Hero! With an already super cute design and some awesome potential for a killer moveset, Shantae would be yet another newcomer to break barriers akin to Snake and Cloud before her and hopefully with other newcomers like Banjo-Kazooie.
  10. Earthworm Jim: I'm all about very cartoony video game characters and seeing them against other video game mascots and more serious fighters is always a visual treat. It makes me wonder why I never thought to put Earthworm Jim on the list! No stranger to fighting games himself, having appeared in Clayfighter 63 1/3, and being a regular on early Nintendo consoles, Earthworm Jim would be an excellent zany newcomer who I personally would appreciate way more making it in than someone like Crash Bandicoot who, while zany and cartoony, doesn't have quite as big a legacy at Nintendo as someone like Earthworm Jim, Geno, or Banjo-Kazooie!

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Sorry to say, but Earthworm Jim is... well...
no hopers.png

He's a 'No Hoper'... heheh

Nah, love the list, and love Earthworm Jim too. He was a massive gaming icon in the 90s, even Miyamoto sang his praises. Shame he's nothing but an obscurity these days, would love to see a revival for him. At least he has Clayfighter 63 ⅓...

bassem6

Smash Lord
1) Isaac
2) Felix (echo)
3) Geno
4) Skull kid
5) Sora (kingdom hearts)
6) Ray MK (custom robo)
7) Phoenix wright
8) Lloyd Irving
9) Banjo and kazooie
10) Neo G-Red (Gotcha Force)

JMac52

Smash Cadet
I’m pretty much completely satisfied with the roster already, so these are just icing at this point.

10. Heracross (I can dream, can’t I?!)
9. Kamek
8. Bandana Dee
7. Chibi Robo
6. Saki
5. Skull Kid
4. F-Zero character, likely echo (Black Shadow, Pico, Jody Summer)
3. Dixie Kong (likely echo)
2.Mach Rider
1. Balloon Fighter (Am I the only one here?)

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
1. Isaac from Golden Sun

Pretty much everything has been said about this guy already, what he brings to the table, and why he's likely or unlikely. Either way, Isaac has been my number 1 wanted newcomer for about 15 years at this point, ever since I pretty much grew up on Golden Sun as my go-to Fantasy RPG series. I still remember being super excited over his inclusion in Brawl back in the day back when I'd always check out the Dojo after waking up, good old times. He brings so much to the table, comes from a well-liked and popular first party Nintendo series and would have a ridiculously high moveset potential. We've been burned badly once before, but this time around I can finally see it happen, especially with how many people are out there clamoring for his inclusion.

2. Felix as an Isaac Echo, also from Golden Sun

This is a bit of a pipe dream, but it's about most wanted newcomers and not who is likely and who isn't. As the protagonist of the second Golden Sun game, he and Isaac basically share the same stats across the board, making him a potentially easy echo fighter to develop. Getting not one but two playable characters from Golden Sun would very likely make me cry some manly tears in the end, however unlikely it might be.

3. Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot was also a big part of my childhood that I'd like to see represented in Smash Bros. in one way or another. With the N-Sane Trilogy making an appearance on the Switch, at least there is a slight possibility of him making the cut. I doubt I have to say much about him as pretty much everybody has at the very least watched some Crash Bandicoot gameplay. His moves would translate over well and we would have yet another video game icon jioning the fray. Not to mention he'd be extremely fun to play as.

4. Banjo Kazooie

While I've never played the Banjo games growing up, I semi-recently got a chance to go back to them and enjoy what so many have enjoyed before me. With how buddy-buddy Nintendo have been as of late, I can really see these two joining the fray. Even if we have a similar character in Duck Hunt, Banjo & Kazooie would very likely translate well when it comes to how they would play. I can see them staying true to their game while still feeling like an entirely new character in Smash. Also they would be yet another beloved gaming icon. You can never have too many of those.

5. Paper Mario

I absolutely adore the Paper Mario series and especially TTYD. I think Paper Mario would be a great addition to the roster, as he's yet another character with basically limitless moveset potential. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't made it in so far, but maybe that'll change in the future. Either way, if he gets in, I'll definitely have a new character to play.

6. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)

Tales of Symphonia is another classic I missed out on when I was younger which I somewhat recently went back to. With Bandai Namco working on this game, I can definitely see them putting in another character. And since Lloyd is pretty much the face of Tales of games in the west from what I can tell, I could, His double swords would also bring new life to the never ending trope of anime swordfighters in Smash, so I'm all for it. He'd also come with a selection of Motoi Sakuraba's finest works (after Golden Sun), so sign me up.

7. Rayman

Ah Rayman, who doesn't remember that leak that got us all stumped back during the Smash 4 development era. I haven't played all of the Rayman games, but I would definitely consider him to be yet another gaming icon. Ubisoft has a decent track record on Nintendo consoles as of late, so there's always a possibility, however small it might be. If he makes it in, we're looking at a character with what i'd assume to be super annoying disjointed hitboxes and, as a Melee Marth main, those are always fun.

8. Ken as a Ryu Echo, (Street Fighter)

A no-brainer, really. When Echo Fighters were first announced, this guy immediately came to mind for a ton of people. He was the original Echo, he would translate over just as well as Ryu did and, really, who doesn't like that mane? While I never really liked playing as him in Street Fighter, I feel like he would just make sense as a fighter in Smash Bros.

9. Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)

If handled well, Skull Kid could be a really fun addition to the roster. I wasn't sold on him for quite a while, even though I love Majora's Mask, but his moveset in Hyrule Warriors made it possible for me to imagine something that woudl work in Smash. My problem with this guy for the longest of time was that he doesn't really do much at all over the course of Majora's Mask. He just floats around _menacingly_. However with some Majora's Mask representation we would have finally covered all of the 3D-Zelda games in Smash.

10. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)

This number 10 spot gave me some trouble, because I couldn't really think of a lot of characters I genuinely want anymore. That said, I really enjoyed Xenoblade 2 despite its manifold shortcomings. Even if the whole 'Swordfighter with Fire' deal is already covered by Our Boy, those two would still be a nice addition to the cast thanks to the unique Driver/Blade mechanics behind them.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I’m pretty much completely satisfied with the roster already, so these are just icing at this point.

10. Heracross (I can dream, can’t I?!)
9. Kamek
8. Bandana Dee
7. Chibi Robo
6. Saki
5. Skull Kid
4. F-Zero character, likely echo (Black Shadow, Pico, Jody Summer)
3. Dixie Kong (likely echo)
2.Mach Rider
1. Balloon Fighter (Am I the only one here?)
I feel ya on Balloon Fighter. It's probably the most iconic NES game that doesn't have a playable character yet (next to Excitebike). It already has a stage, had an item, and the villager borrows from it for a move (which maybe be the biggest reason why nobody is expecting/wanting him). But I mostly want him as a tribute to Satoru Iwata...

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Not changing a whole lot here, but I feel like I should add reason for my choices, as well as some honorable mentions.

Excitebiker. Every Smash game (aside from the first) has brought back a relatively unknown/unused character from the NES era, and who would be a more unique character than one who is always on a vehicle? And I don't mean Bowser Jr who might as well have just been a robot with all of those gadgets. This is a motorbiker, and you should never mess with a biker.
Qbby. I know it's an odd choice for a character from a small series of digital only 3DS games to be in Smash, but I feel that the people who think an Indie character can get in are more likely to be disappointed than Qbby fans. And he would be fun to experiment with, no doubt.
Tails. At this point, Sonic is as much a Smash Bros mainstay as he is a video game icon, so why not bring along a friend for the next installment? Tails is my favorite Sonic character for several reasons, but if you're going to bring in any character from this franchise, is there even another option? Maybe Knuckles, but he's a meme now, so... maybe not.
Tetris. No, I'm not joking. I would love to see this happen. Every Smash game needs that out of nowhere character that somehow still fits in with the rest of the Smash Bros cast. (Mr Game and Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.) And what other video game has sold as many units as Tetris? None have. Tetris debuted on Nintendo and still has games released on Nintendo's systems, and is also very iconic, so is a perfect fit for Smash. Again, I am not joking.
Waluigi. Yet another oddball choice above a decently viable Third Party rep. Don't judge me, what other Mario character who is still being featured in games that would fit in Smash hasn't yet appeared? And don't say Toad, because no, there's not enough there to make a fighter out of. Waluigi though? Now we're talking. He's used sports utensiles as weapons, he has official artwork holding a gun, he's a waterbender, and he's Waluigi, so there is no question why he should be a fighter in Smash.
Shovel Knight. I know I dissed indies earlier, but that was on chances of appearing. Shovel Knight will not be in Smash, but if he WAS, I would lose my mind. He's got the moveset potential like crazy, and not only would Yacht Club games love for this to happen, but Nintendo LOVES Shovel Knight. If we see a trailer announcing this guy, be surprised, VERY surprised, but also be excited, because this would be a milestone in indie gaming.
Skull Kid. My all time favorite Zelda character, and a character that was, like Waluigi, unfortunately stuck in the Assist Trophy spot, rather than given the glory of being a full fledged fighter. There are so many Zelda characters who would be very unique fighters in Smash, but who would be more so than the demon who doesn't even move his hands while fighting? If Hyrule Warriors can figure him out, Sakurai shouldn't have any troubles getting him to work as a fighter.
Decidueye. Blah blah blah "we need a grass starter because we already have fire and water." Screw that, I just want Decidueye because he's awesome. Easily my favorite Alolan Pokemon, Decidueye has some very unique potential for Smash, and, Like Greninja, it would help propel him into more popularity inside and outside of the Pokemon fandom, and also... Ghost Archer Tree Owl. That says it all, doesn't it?
Isaac. No, I never finished Golden Sun. But dang, that game is good. And Isaac is an awesome hero. Smash Bros has had Fire users, and Water users, and even Air based fighters... Where's Earthbending representation? Isaac is where. Sure, he uses a sword, which a lot of others do, but he also uses earthquakes, vines, and summons DEMONS to fight for him. I don't remember any other Smash bros fighter who summons demons to fight, do you?
Bandana Dee. Obviously.

Honorable mentions: Chibi Robo, Henry Fleming, Heihachi Mishima, Goku, Breath of the Wild Champions.
Alright so it's been... a while... I haven't updated this list since well before E3, so I thought it was time for a new one with the deconfirmed characters removed, as well as some different placements.

First, the R.I.P. crew. Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Rest In Piece even though I'm happy for Yacht Club games anyway!

10. Edward Elric... okay so I ran out of ideas, I recently finished FMA, and this is MY list, dangit, I can put whoever I want...
9. Geno. I haven't played his game, but it looks good, and so does Geno, but mainly this is more his fans TBH.
8. Rex & Pyra. Gosh dangit I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet but it looks so good and these two are very popular so I want to see it happen. (maybe it'll push me to play their game)
7. Tetris. YES I still want this to happen, shut up.
6. Excitebiker. We need an NES rep, and Simon doesn't count. I'm sure Sakurai and his team know exactly how to make a fighter out of someone like this.
5. Chibi Robo. I know this won't happen, but even thought I haven't liked any of Chibi Robo's games, I love his character and would love him to be in this game.
4. Isaac. So many elemental fighters, but still so Earthbender representation. Isaac is an awesome hero and would make an awesome fighter.
3. Decidueye. At this rate I more expect Incineroar than Decidueye, but I will repeat what I said last time, Ghost Archer Tree Owl. That says it all, doesn't it?
2. Skull Kid. I think all of the "hints" towards this character have made me want him in even more. Plus, I love Skul Kid.
1. Bandana Dee... some things never change!

And Heihachi still gets an Honorable Mention.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My list goes a little like this....

10. ARMS rep (I want Dr. Coyle or Master Mummy) but have a feeling we get Spring-Man/Ribbon Girl
9. Captain Toad
8. Chibi-Robo
7. Chorus Kids
6. Rex & Pyra
5. Paper Mario
4. Isabelle (Villager echo)
3. Medusa (Palutena echo)
2. Bandana Dee
1. Dixie Kong

Honarable mentions: Octoling echoes and Issac from Golden Sun. Never played Golden Sun but I want him more for his fans than anything.

The 1st party characters are the ones that get me most hyped. Sorry but everytime a 3rd party character gets announced I go "meh okay"

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
10. Spyro - Not a huge fan, but I think he'd be an awesome addition.

9. Crash - His games were fun, the character is fun, another awesome addition.

8. Rayman - Moveset potential is easy, yet insane.

7. Hawlucha - One of my favorite pokemon, potential to be very unique, high risk/reward and grappler?

6. Ken (As Ryu echo) - Just always liked Ken better, Akuma would be cool as well.

5. Isaac - I love Golden Sun, he seemed unlikely but with the team focusing on popularity and ballot stats I feel he has a chance, I'm ok with ANOTHER swordsman if this one can grab people with a giant hand and use magic that we have yet to see in the game, earth/plant based.

4. Skull Kid - One of my favorite baddies (All of the others are in) and again, very unique moveset potential.

3. Sora - Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite series, Fighting with the keyblade abilities and magic would be cool, also maybe sneak in Riku as an echo...

2. Banjo-Kazooie - Been wanted since N64 days.

1. Waluigi - My top pick, while I hate what some of the Wah fans did to Sakurai, I hope he realizes they are an immature minority in the fanbase, and Waluigi has real fans and not just memer 12 yr olds. I get the arguments against him, he hasnt had his own game, but he appears in almost every single spinoff and he deserves to be a character, I'm still hoping Sakurai is going to be the troll we all know and put him in as a surprise.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Its a shame that Nier hasn't been on a Nintendo platform. I'd be voting 2B as my number 1 all day long. But alas:

1. Lilac (Freedom Planet) Preferably FP2 Design

2. Shantae

3. Isaac (Golden Sun)

4. Mythra (Xenoblade 2) Preferably as a standalone character separate from Rex and Pyra

5. Shadow Mewtwo (Pokken) As a costume, echo, or unique fighter, I don't care which honestly

6. Shadow the Hedgehog (SA2) I'm on either side of the fence of him being an echo or unique fighter

7. Isabelle (Animal Crossing Series)

8. Bomberman

9. Lyndis (Fire Emblem)

10. Dixie Kong (DKC2)

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
1- Wolf
2- Snake
3- Ice Climbers
4 - Decidueye
5 - Rex
6 - King K. Rool
7 - Dark Samus
8 - Dixie Kong
9 - Elma
10 - Skull Kid

I'm pretty happy with what I wanted, so...thumbs up

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Alright, let's do this. I'll start with Honorable Mentions and move to the Top 10 from there.

Honorable Mentions

5. Waluigi
Despite Waluigi being about confirmed as an Assist Trophy, I still have hopes he can get in, somehow. I kinda hope that Sakurai will pull a “lol, you thought!” thing and de-confirm Waluigi as an assist trophy and have him playable. However, that fact is the reason why he’s so low on my list. If he wasn’t, he’d probably would’ve made it in the Top 5. It’s sad because I’ve seen a mod that is a near perfect envision as to how I’d see Waluigi work. Not exactly 100%, but damn, it was close!

4. Dry Bowser
Echo Fighter. I see a few aesthetic changes from Dry Bowser to Bowser, like his flames being blue instead of red and his taunts being completely different, but I think there could be a bit more to affect how he plays, like changing his weight to something more appropriate to a skeleton. But, I didn’t put him high because, Echo Fighters, in general, don’t really appeal to me other than two on my list, but it just so happens to be that Bowser is my main, essentially.

3. Hitmonlee
Now, Hitmonlee does have some Smash history, but only in the original N64 Version. I’d really like to see him return in a similar way that Little Mac made a comeback from Brawl to Smash 4. From a simple Pokeball Pokemon to an actual fighter. He’s not too high because I have other hopes, for different Pokemon. Besides, we already have 6/9 Pokemon from Gen 1. I think other Generations deserve to shine.

2. Paper Mario
Now, I’ll be honest, the only Paper Mario game was not a traditional Paper Mario game. It was Super Paper Mario. And, while I have certainly become more accepting of Paper Mario in Smash (I mean, he’s high on the Honorable Mentions for a reason), I always thought he was an oddball because I see him stylistically very different from other fighters. I can see him work, but I have other hopes for a Mario Rep. than Paper Mario.

1. Ubisoft Rep.
Now, this is interesting. I do believe that a Ubisoft Representative will be in Smash. No doubt in my mind. However, who it’d be is a mystery to me. Is it Rayman, is it the Rabbids, or is it someone else? It’s… Up to Ubisoft, I guess, but only Rayman is one I really want, and even then, there are others I want more.

Top 10!

10. Laboman
Now, this is an interesting one, because the Nintendo Labo isn’t a video game. It’s an accessory, or a toy, or something that is used to enhance the Switch experience. And, considering that Duck Hunt was added with the inclusion of the NES Zapper in his movesets, I wouldn’t mind seeing Laboman do similar things and take what the Nintendo Labo is and create a fighter on it. Not too high because of how not too long ago the Labo released. Plus, these other characters I wanna see more.

9. Fire Emblem Rep.
I was… A bit conflicted of which to put higher. Laboman, or this. But, I decided this due to the fact that Fire Emblem is older and will have a more likely chance to have a representative. Especially since it could hype up the new game coming early 2019. I don’t really have any specifics here other than no sword users. If one franchise could use some weapon diversity for Smash, it’s Fire Emblem. Otherwise, I’m cool with whatever.

8. Funky Kong
Echo Fighter. Funky Kong has been pretty relevant, recently. At least, more than I thought he would. He certainly doesn’t have the popularity of Geno or Waluigi to get in, but considering how much easier I assume to make an Echo than a fully new character is, I think Funky Kong has a chance. He’s one of two Echo Fighters I actually want to see, and he’s definitely easy to put over Donkey Kong, considering in Tropical Freeze, Funky Mode replaced DK with FK.

7. Indie Rep.
Now, I don’t wanna get down with who can make it or what is allowed in this, but, I think it’s time for an Indie Character in Smash. With popularity of indie games like Minecraft and Undertale and more, I think they at least deserve a stage. But, since this is my hopes and dreams of my roster, let’s assume we get a character. Who do I want the most? Shovel Knight. I feel he’s one of the more unique fighter possibilities with using a shovel instead of a sword or bow. Plus, he’s a big fan favorite among indie titles.

6. Spring Man & Ribbon Girl
I… Don’t really care if one makes it over the other as long as one of them make it. My hopes are that both make it, but you never know. But, anyway, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl really scream to me creativity, in their character concept. Well, it might be that the concept of Arms is really intriguing to me, in a fighting game like Smash, and I see a lot of potential moves for it. Although I think Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are basically poster children for Arms, I’m fine with any representation of Arms, considering all the core elements for each character are similar.

5. Octolings
Echo Fighter, and the only Echo I really beg for. Octolings are basically made for this kind of stuff. Echoing the Inklings would be perfect since their core mechanics are basically identical and their only difference in play-style is aesthetics. At least, from my understanding. But I don’t think anyone would really say “Octolings deserve to be their own fighter!” Without chuckling. And considering the popularity of Splatoon in Japan, it’s one I really believe to be likely, and I’m happy because of that.

4. Captain Toad
Captain Toad, my most anticipated Mario Representative. For too long have Toads just been meat shields for Peach. And while they’ve gotten braver, they need more than that. They need someone to fight for their kind someone like Captain Toad! I really like the concept of Captain Toad’s inability to jump because of his backpack, and I’d love to see how Sakurai’s team either work around this or make the concept functional in their game! And, considering Captain Toad existed before the Inklings, I do really think he’s got a shot at Smash, and it’d get me so hyped!

3. King K. Rool
The Crocodile King, himself. Now, what can I say about K. Rool that hasn’t been said before? Well, I really do love the simple yet effective design and I think he’s got a big chance in Smash. Especially considering he’s one of the most popular picks. And we do need more legitimate characters for the Donkey Kong franchise, and I think K. Rool fits that margin, perfectly.

2. Generation 7 Pokemon Rep.
A Generation 7 Representative, to me, seems like it makes the most sense, considering the game is the newest generation in Pokemon, and Smash has always accepted recent gen Pokemon to their series since Melee with Gen 2. But what Pokemon I want is a tie between two. Those two are Decidueye and Tapu Koko. Both are very unique Pokemon in their Generation, and I do really think that both of these Pokemon are what I like to see in Smash. But I think Decidueye has a better chance due to the popularity of the Pokemon. However, seeing both would be a dream come true.

1. Blue Oak
Hear me out, how would you like to be the rival of Generation 1? How would you like to play three Pokemon of Blue Oak’s to fight in the Smash hall of fame? I certainly would. I think the three Pokemon Blue would have would have the same evolution structure as Pokemon Trainer. I don’t know which Pokemon exactly, but probably one from the games he’s appeared in. Namely, Fire Red & Leaf Green. And imagine, we’d finally have an actual Pokemon villain, instead of Mewtwo. I know Giovanni makes more sense to put, since he is actually a villain, but, come on, it’s BLUE OAK. No way I’m passing the opportunity to taunt “Smell ya later, loser!” It’s too good to pass up!
Jeez, I almost forgot about this... Well, here's my updated list of Top 10 Most Wanted Characters since the 8/8/18 Direct.

Honorable Mentions

5. Shadow the Hedgehog
So now that Chrom is confirmed to be an Echo Fighter of Roy, I think I’ve opened my window to have Shadow become an Echo Fighter of Sonic. Originally, I wanted him to be his own character because I believed that his moveset would be a tad too diverse to clone Sonic. But after this Direct, I’m on board with it. As long as he’s more like Chrom with subtle differences in his moveset to give the illusion of some unique features, rather than a true clone. Though, he’s rather low on the list cause his massive popularity, in contrast to many edgy MC Clones in video game existence.

4. Ken Masters
Yeah, why not? Since I’m open to Shadow echoing Sonic, I’m also open to Ken echoing Ryu. More so, actually, since I don’t think that Ken has many moves different than Ryu like Shadow debatably could. Correct me if I’m wrong, but he was originally a clone of Ryu in his debut and hasn’t branched out too differently. I think he’s a perfect fit for an Echo Fighter.

3. Indie Representative
I still want an Indie Representative in Smash, to show that literally, the sky's the limit when it comes to video game characters in Smash. However, with Shovel Knight gone, I’d have to go with… Maybe Shantae. I haven't played her games, but I know she's a popular indie character. And, hey, I bet she could fit right in the alley with Smash Fighters! I dunno, I at least want some sort of notable Indie Rep… PLEASE, NINTENDO!

2. Tapu Koko
Other than another choice for a Generation VII Pokemon Representative coming up soon, I think Tapu Koko is my most wanted Alolan Pokemon. Not only could it expand the roster of Legendary Pokemon playable in Smash, of which we only have Mewtwo, but he'd also be a great representation of the Alola Region in Pokemon in general. He's by far my favorite Guardian Deity Pokemon, and it would be a shame to not see him playable. He's only so low cause, well, I want these guys more...

1. Doctor Eggman
If the Hero vs Villain thing is true, then Sonic needs Eggman. He’s one of the most memorable villains in Sonic, and his use of machinery could sport a Bowser Jr.-esque feel, where he’s always in one of his contraptions like the walking legs in Sonic Adventure 2. He’d be a great addition to the roster, though. Regardless of the Hero vs Villain thing.

Now, let's move on to the Top Ten!

Top Ten!

10. Funky Kong
Honestly, Funky Kong was born to Echo Donkey Kong. And seeing how he plays in Tropical Freeze only solidifies that to me even further. And, since Chrom showed me some uniqueness in a Roy Echo, Funky Kong could even work his surfboard in his echoing moveset of Donkey Kong. All I know is that, other than another echo coming up soon, here, he’s the Echo I’m most anticipating.

9. Mr. Sandman
I dunno, I don't think King Hippo sparks my interest as a fighter all too much. Well, at least not as much as Mr. Sandman. I always thought that, for Punch-Out, he should be the next one to be represented. In the Punch-Out games, he has a high win-record and almost no losses and could have some heavy-hitting blows and such. I think he's a good fit for the Smash Series.

8. Retro Representative
Like Duck Hunt to Smash 4, and R.O.B. to Brawl, and G&W to Melee, I think Ultimate should get a Retro Representative. Which one, I’m not too sure. Maybe Excitebike? Someone from the NES/SNES Era, at least. But all I know is that I wanna be wowed by this retro character! These guys are older than dinosaur dirt, and a good reminder that they once existed. Their inclusion could even revitalize their series, like Kid Icarus.

7. Lance Bean
If you don't know who Lance Bean is, he's the guy you play as in Contra. And honestly, Since Konami has allowed Nintendo to use not only Snake, but Simon, I have high hopes that I can go in guns a blazing with Lance Bean shooting up all the competition with his trusty guns. It'd be really cool and I'd love to see it happen. It's one of the last few Konami franchises that I think deserves some love from Smash.

6. Banjo & Kazooie
I know it’s not as likely as a choice as others, but hell, I still wanna see them. You know how cool a bear with a bird in a backpack would be? Like, I haven’t even played the games and I already know that the possible moveset potential is massive! And he’s iconic in the world of 3D Platforming, up there with Crash Bandicoot & Mario. If Sakurai decides to choose a classic & popular 3D platforming mascot for Smash Ultimate, 9/10 I’d say it’s Banjo & Kazooie. Mostly cause I want him.

5. Octoling
I won't be surprised if these guys really are Inkling Echoes. Octolings were born to be echoes of them. They could have a tad different moveset effects and paint colors, but, come on, don’t tell me that you haven’t looked at Octolings once and said: “Hey, these guys could be cool Inkling Echoes.” These guys are so, so perfect for the role. And since Richter confirms that newcomers have Echo Fighters, that only solidifies it further, in my mind.

4. Miles "Tails" Prower
Ok, so out of all the Sonic Characters I want in Smash Ultimate, I’m gonna go with the obvious choice and say Tails. C’mon! He’s just an iconic Sonic Sidekick, and has so many tools in his arsenal that I can’t even fathom it! He’s got the robots, he can fly and can travel along the speeds of Sonic. And that’s just simplifying it! Admittedly, If I get Tails like I asked for, I kinda hope for Eggman, too, but hey, I won’t be picky.

3. Captain Toad
The more I see Captain Toad, the more I want him in Smash. Finally, the Toads have some sort of identity and aren't basically blank slates in terms of Smash Fighting potential anyway. And to not take advantage of that, I feel, would be very disappointing. The jumping issue might cause problems, but it's not impossible to work around. And seeing a video of someone making a Captain Toad moveset so well, it just makes me want him even more.

2. Decidueye
Not only is Decidueye my favorite starter in Alola, but he very well may be my favorite Grass-type Pokemon in the Pokemon Series. Even more than Sceptile. I dunno about you, but to me, that speaks volume. And an archer with ranged projectiles as the primary focus on all of his movesets would be extremely cool. I dunno if he'd be the primary candidate for Sakurai, but damn I want him!

1. Blue Oak
I love the idea of Blue in Smash, to be honest. And with the Hero vs Villain theme rumored, that only strengthens my want of this guy. I think his Pokemon should be from his own team members, like Growlithe, Machoke, and Alakazam, or something like that. He has a lot of potentials to be a completely unique character who is a parallel of Pokemon Trainer who I low key want renamed as Red & Leaf. I just love the idea and I'm hoping for him all the way!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
1 (most wanted): Bandana Waddle Dee
2: Magolor
3: Marx
4: Adeline and Ribbon
5:Funky Kong
6: Linkle
7: Geno
8: Gooey
9: Impa
10: Spring-Man (W/ Ribbon girl as an echo)

WampaWreckage

Smash Rookie
Hello SmashBoards! I've been lurking around these forums since E3 this year and I finally made an account about two months ago! I've posted some messages since then, but I wanted to share my most wanted newcomers list to establish a proper introduction! I was also around Smashboards during the post release of Smash 3DS, but I left shortly afterwards. However, with all this enormous Smash Ultimate hype, I got interested in coming back to the Boards and I’m ready to share my thoughts with everyone!

10. Joker/Jack Frost [Persona & Shin Megami Tensei] - Kicking the list off is Shin Megami Tensei, one of Atlus's most popular series and my only third-party newcomer. It's not that I dislike any of the other third-party characters right now, I just never grew attached to the popular choices such as Crash, Banjo, etc. However, SMT and its spin-off, Persona, have caught my eye for Smash and I think they’re honestly not that unrealistic of a choice. SMT debuted and has been with Nintendo for almost 26 years. While Persona is a Sony exclusive series, Persona 5 was popular enough to make the series mainstream, plus, the Persona Q titles are Nintendo exclusives. Also, Smash has already seen Sony exclusive characters that are way more popular than Joker, with Snake & Cloud. If that wasn’t enough, Atlus is owned by SEGA, who already has the biggest bromance with Nintendo. I think if we were going to get a rep, it’d be between Joker & Jack Frost, with the other choice being an Assit Trophy. Honestly, I could see it going either way between the two. While Joker is massively popular and would be more of a shock to the gaming community, Jack Frost is the mascot of SMT, the series that has more history with Nintendo. While they have a chance to appear as DLC, do I think it’s very likely? Not even close, but I’d love to see Joker summoning Persona’s or Jack Frost send flying Ice Spikes at Nintendo and Gaming Mascots alike.

9. A Retro Representative [Any Series] - This is by far my favorite Smash tradition! I love the idea of Sakurai picking a largely unknown and retro character for Smash. It adds variety to the cast and it informs the new generation about Nintendo's history. The best part though, is that this is where we really get to see Sakurai's creativity shine because he has to make completely original concepts for their move-sets. It's not like Link or Bowser, who have numerous reference material for their move-sets. These characters usually have a game or two, making it difficult to create a character's fighting style just from that. Sakurai has proven us that he can make any character work for the past 3 games, and I honestly hope he does it again for Ultimate. I was originally going to put Excitebiker, but I think that part of the appeal is the surprise of which Retro character it's going to be. With Sakurai's experience and talent, the character's going to be amazing either way.

8. Slippy Toad & Peppy Hare [Star Fox] - During the Smash 4 Ballot, my friends and I had this recurring joke where we voted for Slippy Toad as a meme. We voted for him everyday and for some reason, it got funnier each time. It was honestly such a memorable and favorite Smash experience of mine, so much so, that I forgot who my serious votes were. Now with the branding of Echoes being a new concept in Ultimate, I have a genuine interest in having Slippy and Peppy in the game. Not only would it make of all of Star Fox playable, but I feel it'd be neat additions. A nerdy and spastic Frog alongside an old and watchful Bunny. I'm not sure if this could work though, considering the animation changes and such, but I'd be amazed if it even was pulled off. I personally see Slippy being an echo of Falco and Peppy being an echo of Fox. I just feel the animations would probably work better with that. I know people also want them as newcomers, or one of them is a newcomer and the other echoes them, etc.; I just feel like they'd only be able to join the roster as echoes.

7. Hector [Fire Emblem] - Before you grab your pitchforks, I just want to state that I also think that Fire Emblem is over represent, but it's also VERY misrepresented. Instead of having all these blue-haired swordsman, we should also being having mages, archers, paladins, generals, etc. However, a step in the right direction might be a blue-haired axeman… Okay, maybe that isn't the cure, especially since we already have DeDeDe who uses a very axe-related weapon, but I still think an axe wielder would be unique enough for a step in the right direction and merit a newcomer. Unlike Dedede’s hammer, Hector could throw his axe and be more mobile with it, having more range but less power. His axe, the Armadas, also has lighting properties which would make him even more appealing. A Smashtuber by the name Delzethin made a video detailing potential Echoes, and one of his predictions was that Hector could be an Echo of Ike. While weird at first, I can honestly see Hector fitting into that role if needed. Their builds are similar and Ike hits hard enough for an axe wielder to Echo him. I think it probably wouldn’t work just because the properties of his axe would have to be changed, which means he wouldn’t technically be an Echo. I still think there’s a better Echo for Ike and Hector would be unique enough to be a newcomer. I honestly don’t see a full-fledged Fire Emblem newcomer coming into Ultimate at all, and if there is one, it’d most likely be a Three Houses rep for advertisement DLC when the game nears its launch date. I could've picked any axe wielder in Nintendo history, but I feel like Hector is the best option for the role and he's also my favorite lord. I know a lot of people are sick of Fire Emblem newcomers, but I like what they did with Robin and Corrin, and would love the same uniqueness for Hector.

6. Bandanna Dee [Kirby] - Like Hector, I love the idea of a spear fighter in Smash and I feel like Bandanna Dee is the most certified for the character slot. He's been a part of the main Kirby gang for awhile now, making him a mascot for the series. He's EXTREMELY popular in Japan, like how Issac is to Europe. Not saying this is a reason I personally want in for, just wanted to clarify that Bandanna Dee is more than a common waddle dee, he's one of the many faces of Nintendo and I'm surprised he's not in the game yet. I love Bandanna Dee's design and I really hope he can make into the game this time. Plus, it's time for a new Kirby rep, it's time to spear-head him in...

5. Elma [Xenoblade Chronicles] - Okay, so what can't you like about Elma? She's a strong, attractive woman who duel wields SMG's and blades. Is that not cool or what?? In all seriousness I love that concept so much and yes, Bayonetta might already duel wield guns, but Elma would be able to do it so much more differently and probably better. Since she's using SMG's, Elma would probably have better fire-rate than Bayonetta. Plus, Elma's whole deal is quick mobility, so unlike Bayonetta who needs to stand still to user her guns, Elma could fire her SMG's as she travels. Since she also duel-wields blades, she could do have a lot of setups and combos. I would say she gets to do more damage, but since her character focuses on mobility, I think it'd be very quick movements. I think her overall design and her move-set potential is not only crazy, but one of the best out of any possible newcomers. Even though I know next to nothing about her as a character, her potential alone is selling me. I really hope she can make it aboard Ultimate, because she'd be one of the most fun additions to the roster in Smash history.

4. Black Knight [Fire Emblem] - In Hector's post, I said that there's a better option for Ike's Echo and that foreshadowing was leading to the invincible, the blessed armor, the legend himself, Zel- I mean, uh, Black Knight! The Tellius series in Fire Emblem were my favorite, and a big aspect of that was this bad@$$ knight that could destroy what was in his path. I honestly loved his design and he quickly became one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. Oddly enough, I never considered him for Smash until I saw his Mii Costume in Smash 4 and I fell in love. I wanted Black Knight to be in Smash since. He makes too much sense; unique design, moveset potential, major antagonist, memorable, etc. I really like what he could bring into Smash as a newcomer, but, like in Hector's post, I know that isn't going to happen. As Ike's Echo though??? I could see it work! Now, Ike's sword, Ragnell, and Black Knight's sword, Alondite, are sisters in the series. Not only that, but they had the same teacher so their fighting styles are very similar. The only problem I see getting in the way is animations and weight... I also have arguments for them. You'd think that weight would have to change for Black Knight with all that armor, but in the games, he's actually very fast and the armor's blessed. Ike's already a Heavy that's quick, so that falls in line with Black Knight. The animations is the biggest obstacle. I'd be cool if they slimmed down the armor, but that's kinda of a stretch and I'm not sure if they'd go that far. I'd love for Black Knight to be playable, and I'm glad he now has a chance as an echo. He's certainly my most wanted echo and I'd give an arm and a leg to see him playable in this game.

3. Geno [Super Mario RPG] - Geno more than earns his keep as one of the top three on this list, He defies all odds and has one of the biggest fanbases for a Smash Character. He hasn't had a major appearance since Super Mario RPG, which was over 22 years ago. His design is also killer, a star that possessed a puppet and has a gun arm. It doesn't get more unique than that. I think that one of my favorite appeals of Geno is that he's the underdog and it's taking everything to join Smash. If he finally did it, that'd be amazing for the community and for Geno alike. Is that my main appeal towards him? Of course not. His design, like I talked about earlier, sells the deal and he'd be such a crazy addition. Not only that, but I’d love all the material he’d bring with him; his music, a new stage, the Mallow Assist Trophy, etc. When I found out Geno existed, which was around the Brawl days I believe, it was this instant feeling of acceptance and love. His design is beyond crazy and I can't wait until Geno's wish comes true and he crashes into Smash like a shooting star.

2. Skull Kid [Legend of Zelda] - The only reason Skull Kid beats Geno for me is that he's probably the biggest 180 I've felt for Smash. What do I mean by that? Well, since forever it feels like, I'd always see comments all over social media that'd say, "Skull Kid for Smash" and it'd get hundreds of likes, and I'd brush it all aside. Why you might ask? Because I, like many others, Skull Kid was believed to never have a chance. He's a pipe dream, so I'd just scoff at those comments and think to myself that there is no point because he's never going to make it. Then, the fateful day of August 8th came around, and the Moon replaced his Assist Trophy. It instantly clicked with me when I was watching the Smash Direct and I thought "Does Skull Kid actually have a chance now?". Just the other day, I was brushing his comments aside like nothing, but now, he’s got one of the best chances out of anyone. It was in that moment, I knew how much I wanted him. Like the Black Knight situation I stated earlier, it was one glance that all it took to win my support. I obviously also love his design and his move-set potential too, I just can't believe how he went from never happening to one of the most likely newcomers. I know I've said that an annoyingly amount of times already, it's still mind-boggling. I hope Skull Kid brings his excellent music, an eerie final smash, and a terrible fate.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Buzzwole [Pokemon] - He'd be a funny choice and represent the Ultra Beasts quite well
  • Zoroark [Pokemon] - His design is crazy good and he'd be fun with his Illusions ability potential
  • Ghirahim [Legend of Zelda] - One of the best villains in LoZ period and would've been an unique sword-fighter
  • Black Shadow [F-Zero] - Another rep for F-Zero, a villain, and a great Echo choice for Captain Falcon

1. Decidueye [Pokemon] - The first time I saw Decidueye was on the leaked concept arts of the final evolution for the Starters. I thought he was the best design wise and had a feeling this was the real deal. I knew he was the starter I was going with. All's said and done, and than we see the starters first evolution. I fell in love with Rowlet. If that wasn't enough, when Pokemon officially revealed the final evolution's for the Starters, not only were the leaks right, but Decidueye went from Grass/Flying to Grass/Ghost. Not only was this super surprising, but Ghost is one of my favorite types. I couldn't wait to start playing this new Generation with Decidueye. I followed the hype scenes of those games, and it was a crazy ride. Than I finally got the game and it is by far my favorite Pokemon game. I flew through the game. It was one of the best Pokemon games story-wise and they do a great job of making you bond with your Pokemon. You have to pet them and feed them to really get the best result out of your Pokemon. My brother also got it and we'd battle after every Gym and every little thing just to see how our teams progressed. I honestly teared up near the end of that game just because it's by far my favorite Pokemon experience. This is why Decidueye's my number one. He's honestly probably my favorite starter in all Pokemon, and that's coming from someone who usually picks the Water starter. His design is beyond ghastly, his typing makes me love him even more, and I think he'd be a great fit for Smash. An Grass Owl that focuses on Archery and looks like Robin Hood... and he's even got a hoodie. I love Decidueye with all my heart, and I know I said love a million times throughout these posts, but I honestly love Decidueye more than anything. With that being said, as long as Gen 7 gets repped in Smash and it's a good candidate, I'll be happy. With Incineroar looking as the most likely choice, I'm honestly fine with it. Would I prefer Decidueye? A thousand times yes, but most of the Gen 7 popular picks are great choices. I will be happy for whoever gets in and if it was Decidueye, I would fly to the moon and back.

Sorry for those long posts, I've been meaning to post this since the August Direct, but I've been pushing it off and it all piled up. Thanks for the read!

Last edited:

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
10. Bill Rizer (odd choice, I know lol)
9. Tails
8. Incineroar
7. Sora
6. Bandana Dee
5. Isaac
4. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Rayman
2. Geno
1. Crash Bandicoot

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
10. Excitebiker
9. Ray
8. Saki/Isa
7. Captain Toad
6. Rayman
5. King K. Rool
4. Shovel Knight
3. Ridley
2. Inkling
1. Isaac

So far, I’ve definitely had some good fortune!
So now that we got Inkling, Ridley AND K. Rool, and the tragic deconfirmation of Shovel Knight, I figured I’d give this an update.

At this point it’s hard not to be incredibly satisfied with what we’ve already gotten. The only character that I reeaally still want in this game is Isaac. If I get him I’ll be way beyond satisfied. That said, there are still plenty of other characters that I would love to see.

10. Erdrick - One of the biggest sleeper picks for sure. Dragon Quest is proabably the biggest third party IP without represention in Smash. Which is kind of crazy since it’s history is so vast, it’s incredibly tied with Nintendo, and it’s absolutely huge in Japan. Like insanely big. Bigger than Final Fantasy. He also could represent the Enix side of Square Enix, which would be really satisfying. And he would just be a cool addition to Smash, and in my opinion would rep the series much better than Slime.

9. Dixie Kong - This would really round out the DK representation perfectly. That said, I don’t want her as an echo. I would much prefer her to get the Isabelle treatment.

8. Lloyd Irving - If Sega, Konami, and Square all get multiple characters, I think it’s only fair for Namco to get something. And personally, I find Tales a lot more interesting than Tekken. And Heihachi just doesn’t appeal to me as a fighter as much as Lloyd. Also, his fans have been clamoring for him for some time.

7. Dovahkiin - A very personal pick. Skyrim is one of my favorite games of the past few years, and it would be way past rad to see Dragonborn playable in Smash. It’s highly unlikely, but it could make for a really good surprise DLC character, ala Cloud.

6. Excitebiker - This is the last retro character that I think highly warrants inclusion in Smash. The Excitebike series is rather iconic, and he could offer an incredibly unique play style where he’s completely attached to his bike.

5. Rayman - Man. I miss this character being the top of discussion back in the day of ArtsyOmni. Sadly he doesn’t seem nearly as likely or requested as he once was. I still think he’s a perfect fit, and I’m sure Ubisoft would be all about it.

4. Saki - Sin & Punishment is a little known gem that deserves some recognition. Saki doesn’t even need to be a particularly extravagant or gimmicky character. Just a really simple, fun addition that would help expand the representation of Nintendo’s history.

3. Toad - I know he’s already been shown as part of Peach and Daisy’s moveset, and apparently Captain Toad is confirmed to be stage element. Regardless, this is one of the very few Nintendo icons that genuinely feel like they’re missing from Ultimate.

2. Ray - I love Custom Robo and want it to have another chance to see the light of day. And playing as a mecha in Smash would just be too damn cool.

1. Isaac - He’s literally perfect for Smash. Iconic Nintendo series that still isn’t repped in Smash. Insane moveset potential (earth Psynergy, utility Psynergy, djinn unleashes, summons). And he has a surprisingly large fanbase that have been patiently waiting for him for quite some time now. If he gets in, I’m good.

Some honorable mentions go to Bandana Dee, Geno, Ryu Hyabusa, Marx, Elma, Samurai Goroh, and so many others that I’m sure I’m forgetting. And if I had to add an 11th it would probably be Karate Joe/RH rep. Really I’m just so satisfied that anyone they add at this point is just icing on an already delicious cake.

Last edited:

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Well, Isabelle is in, and though things have not moved much since last time, this is where we're at.

Contributors

Votes Cast

Characters Named

Highest Point Totals
20. Shantae - 76 (+7)
20. Chibi Robo - 76 (+5)
18. Ashley - 77 (±0)
17. Shovel Knight - 80 (-11)

16. Impa - 88 (+4)
15. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl - 92 (+5)

14. Paper Mario - 97 (+4)
13. Elma - 99 (+8)
12. Captain Toad - 115 (+1)

11. Waluigi - 121 (+1)
10. Rayman - 134 (+4)
9. Skull Kid - 136 (+25)
8. Rex/Pyra - 138 (+9)
7. Crash Bandicoot - 142 (+11)
6. Decidueye - 162 (+10)
5. Geno - 186 (+18)

4. Banjo & Kazooie - 198 (+9)
3. Dixie Kong - 231 (+19)
2. Bandanna Dee - 240 (+19)
1. Isaac - 244 (+20)

Highest Vote Totals
19. Shantae - 45
19. Ashley - 45
18. Shovel Knight - 46
17. Chibi Robo - 51
15. Elma - 54
15. Impa - 54
14. Paper Mario - 55
13. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl - 61
12. Waluigi - 62
11. Captain Toad - 67

10. Rayman - 74
9. Skull Kid - 77
8. Crash Bandicoot - 80
7. Rex/Pyra - 83
6. Decidueye - 92

5. Geno - 99
4. Banjo & Kazooie - 108
3. Dixie Kong - 118
2. Isaac - 122
1. Bandanna Dee - 136

#1 Votes Only
20. Shantae, Chibi Robo, Ashley - 5
18. Krystal, Shovel Knight, Impa, Paper Mario - 6
14. Sora, Captain Toad, Rex/Pyra - 8
10. Elma, Skull Kid - 9
9. Decidueye - 10
8. Rayman - 12
7. Crash Bandicoot - 14
6. Waluigi - 15
5. Banjo & Kazooie - 16
4. Bandanna Dee - 22

3. Geno - 23
2. Dixie Kong - 25

1. Isaac - 34

-For the record, before her confirmation, Isabelle held 31st place with 44 points (31 votes)

With that out of the way. I find myself with a question in regards to the continuation of this poll. Would it be possible for me to assume control for the purpose of updating the opening post or, failing that, would it be acceptable were I to re-make this poll to accomplish a similar goal?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here are my top 10 most wanted characters:

10. Hades - The roster still needs a couple of more villains and Kid Icarus doesn't have a villain in the roster yet, so Hades would be perfect to fill in that spot.

9. Elma - I haven't played any of the Xenoblade Chronicles games, but from what I've seen I think she would have a interesting moveset and would be fun to play with.

8. Mach Rider - A Mad Max like character? Count me in.

7. Porky - Mother needs a villain in the roster and Porky would be perfect to fill in that spot. I would be interested to play him because he would be a mach fighter which, right now the only mach fighter we have in the roster is Bowser Jr..

6. Skull Kid - It's too good of a opportunity to pass Skull Kid up this time with Young Link coming back and Ganondorf having his Ocarina of Time design. Seeing the different phases from the Majora battle incorporated into Skull Kid's moveset would be so sick and awesome.

5. Pig Ganon - It's seems like Ganondorf is never 100% ever going to be decloned, so Pig Ganon would be the best way to get a version of Ganon with a original moveset. He deserves to get in the roster more than any Zelda character because he is the first antagonist in the series and has appeared in more games than Ganondorf himself.

4. Geno - I would love to see Geno return and who wouldn't want a doll that can shoot a lazer and gun from his hand, he would be so cool.

3. Shantae - She is basically the first indie character in history, she is a genie that can transform into different animals, she has a fun and upbeat personality, she would be perfect for Smash.

2. Banjo-Kazooie - It would be a dream come true if those N64 icons from my childhood get in.

1. Goemon - The Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series is my favorite video game series of all time and I would love to see Goemon get in so this criminally underated franchise can get the love and recognition it rightfully deserves. It would also be awesome to have a ninja with a pipe that would have a giant robot as his Final Smash.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
10. Shadow - Just because I want a second Sonic character and he'll have to do.
9. Impa - Hyrule Harriors Impa would be super badass cleaving through with her massive sword or naginata.
8. Deathborn - I prefer his design to Black Shadow, and I want a return of F-Zero
7. Master Chief - Low to No chance, but would be a ton of fun.
6. Tails - Ever since that fake Melee leak I've wanted the twin tailed fox.
5. Skull Kid
4. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Andy (Advance Wars) - The Wars series deserves a rep so-so-so much.
2. Black Knight - Easy low-effort character for inclusion. Cool aesthetic that would add a lot to the cast.
1. Ray (Custom Robo) - Representing a sorely missed franchise, offers a ton of awesome moveset potential, and gives us our first 'mecha' style character.
(Dark Samus, Ridley, and Isabelle would have been on this list prior to announcement, cutting in at 6, 3, and 4 respectively)

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Alright so it's been... a while... I haven't updated this list since well before E3, so I thought it was time for a new one with the deconfirmed characters removed, as well as some different placements.

First, the R.I.P. crew. Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Rest In Piece even though I'm happy for Yacht Club games anyway!

10. Edward Elric... okay so I ran out of ideas, I recently finished FMA, and this is MY list, dangit, I can put whoever I want...
9. Geno. I haven't played his game, but it looks good, and so does Geno, but mainly this is more his fans TBH.
8. Rex & Pyra. Gosh dangit I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet but it looks so good and these two are very popular so I want to see it happen. (maybe it'll push me to play their game)
7. Tetris. YES I still want this to happen, shut up.
6. Excitebiker. We need an NES rep, and Simon doesn't count. I'm sure Sakurai and his team know exactly how to make a fighter out of someone like this.
5. Chibi Robo. I know this won't happen, but even thought I haven't liked any of Chibi Robo's games, I love his character and would love him to be in this game.
4. Isaac. So many elemental fighters, but still so Earthbender representation. Isaac is an awesome hero and would make an awesome fighter.
3. Decidueye. At this rate I more expect Incineroar than Decidueye, but I will repeat what I said last time, Ghost Archer Tree Owl. That says it all, doesn't it?
2. Skull Kid. I think all of the "hints" towards this character have made me want him in even more. Plus, I love Skul Kid.
1. Bandana Dee... some things never change!

And Heihachi still gets an Honorable Mention.
Woah look, I'm updating my list again, even though it doesn't matter since the game releases pretty soon. Meh IDC I need to update this.
10. Qbby. Screw it, I love these games!
9. Rex & Pyra. Once again this is for the fans since I haven't played their game yet.
8. Excitebiker. Retro Nintendo reps are always great, and this would be so unique.
7. Magolor. I've recently become more excited by the idea of more Kirby characters in Smash, and I will always refuse Marx the opportunity to fight in Smash.
6. Chibi Robo. It's too bad this great character has such bad games. Smash is the only way he will ever be respected again!
5. Decidueye. I dropped him down a bit since it's seeming more and more likely that Incineroar will be in but I still love my Ghostly tree owl!
4. Isaac. We! Need! An Earthbender!
3. Tetris. My hope shall never die!
2. Skull Kid. Would be great, nothing new to say here.
1. Bandana Dee. Some things never change.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well, Isabelle is in, and though things have not moved much since last time, this is where we're at.

Contributors

Votes Cast

Characters Named

Highest Point Totals
20. Shantae - 76 (+7)
20. Chibi Robo - 76 (+5)
18. Ashley - 77 (±0)
17. Shovel Knight - 80 (-11)

16. Impa - 88 (+4)
15. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl - 92 (+5)

14. Paper Mario - 97 (+4)
13. Elma - 99 (+8)
12. Captain Toad - 115 (+1)

11. Waluigi - 121 (+1)
10. Rayman - 134 (+4)
9. Skull Kid - 136 (+25)
8. Rex/Pyra - 138 (+9)
7. Crash Bandicoot - 142 (+11)
6. Decidueye - 162 (+10)
5. Geno - 186 (+18)

4. Banjo & Kazooie - 198 (+9)
3. Dixie Kong - 231 (+19)
2. Bandanna Dee - 240 (+19)
1. Isaac - 244 (+20)

Highest Vote Totals
19. Shantae - 45
19. Ashley - 45
18. Shovel Knight - 46
17. Chibi Robo - 51
15. Elma - 54
15. Impa - 54
14. Paper Mario - 55
13. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl - 61
12. Waluigi - 62
11. Captain Toad - 67

10. Rayman - 74
9. Skull Kid - 77
8. Crash Bandicoot - 80
7. Rex/Pyra - 83
6. Decidueye - 92

5. Geno - 99
4. Banjo & Kazooie - 108
3. Dixie Kong - 118
2. Isaac - 122
1. Bandanna Dee - 136

#1 Votes Only
20. Shantae, Chibi Robo, Ashley - 5
18. Krystal, Shovel Knight, Impa, Paper Mario - 6
14. Sora, Captain Toad, Rex/Pyra - 8
10. Elma, Skull Kid - 9
9. Decidueye - 10
8. Rayman - 12
7. Crash Bandicoot - 14
6. Waluigi - 15
5. Banjo & Kazooie - 16
4. Bandanna Dee - 22

3. Geno - 23
2. Dixie Kong - 25

1. Isaac - 34

-For the record, before her confirmation, Isabelle held 31st place with 44 points (31 votes)

With that out of the way. I find myself with a question in regards to the continuation of this poll. Would it be possible for me to assume control for the purpose of updating the opening post or, failing that, would it be acceptable were I to re-make this poll to accomplish a similar goal?
I think that would be a nice idea; just make sure to link every post you're considering for the poll in the first page for people that hadn't redone their votes in the new thread.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
10-Tifa Lockhart
9-Min Min
8-Banjo & Kazooie
7-Excitebiker
6-Lara Croft
5-Skull Kid
4-Impa
3-Elma
2-Crash Bandicoot
1-Midna
It seems this thread died down quite a bit, but considering every fighter in the base game has been officially revealed with only a handful of DLC fighters on the way, it seems there's less of a need for people to request their wanted fighters as we're all just anticipating the eventual release of Ultimate!

That said I figure I'll update my Top 10 as things have changed a bit, though not by much.

10-Banjo & Kazooie (long time coming)
9-Shantae (would be awesome)
8-Excitebiker (I could see it work and he'd be pretty damn fun tbh)
7-Skull Kid (moar zelda)
6-Impa (moar zelda)
5-Lara Croft (Iconic, and I'd trust Sakurai to make a decent moveset)
4-Tifa Lockhart (along with Cloud one of my favourite characters from VII)
3-Crash Bandicoot (was one of the first characters I wanted in Smash)
2-Elma (an awesome character from an underrated game that could potentially have a really fun moveset)
1-Midna (moar zelda, also it's freaking MIDNA!)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Time for an update now that the base roster is said and done.

1) Andy
2) Isaac
3) Banjo
4) Crash
5) Elma
6) Bandana Dee
7) Lyn
8) Mike Jones
9) Ayumi Tachibana
10) Heihachi Mishima

Only the first 5 are hard locked, more specifically Andy and Isaac. Everyone else changes on a whim I guess lol.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I suppose I should update mine since we now know the full base roster.

10 - Elma
9 - Neku
8 - Fawful
7 - Amaterasu
6 - Hector
5 - Phoenix Wright
4 - Bandanna Dee
3 - Crash Bandicoot
2 - Impa
1 - Sora

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Updated my list:

10 - Rayman
9 - Crash Bandicoot
8 - Lloyd
7 - Banjo-Kazooie
6 - Spyro
5 - Bandana Dee
4 - Elma
3 - Zoroark
2 - 2B
1 - Isaac/Matthew

HM: Skull Kid, Ray MK3, Saki, Andy

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I didn't really post here before the game was announced... so my list is going to look strange because i'm going to include who I wanted before the game was revealed, and who I place of deconfirmed characters ( although I firmly believe assist trophies should be able to be both playable and assists, it's a dumb needless arbitrary rule that they can't )

1. Ridley -> CONFIRMED -> Banjo & Kazooie
  2. King K. Rool -> CONFIRMED -> Geno
  3. Inkling -> CONFIRMED -> Pig Ganon ( ALTTP )
  4. Toad -> DECONFIRMED?? -> Medusa
  5. Simon Belmont -> CONFIRMED -> Dr. Robotnik
  6. Spring-man -> DECONFIRMED -> Black Shadow
  7. Krystal -> DECONFIRMED -> Impa
  8. Dixie Kong -> SAFE
  9. Mike Jones -> SAFE
  10. Takamaru -> DECONFIRMED -> Porky Minch
...After the 8.8 Direct, I started feeling like all the characters were going to be crowd pleasers that people have been asking for since melee. Before that I didn't dare hope for the impossible, otherwise Banjo and Geno would already have been on my list. Also, Midna would have been on the list if she wasn't confirmed assist trophy. When they revealed that the Zelda cast were no longer using designs from one single game, sans Toon Link, I started thinking it would be okay to have characters from mixed continuities in the Zelda roster.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, here we are again. With K. Rool konfirmed as playable (meaning that I have no complaints about this roster) and Shovel Knight as an assist trophy (though it speaks volumes that he made it into the game), I'll have to update this.

10. Impa (The Legend of Zelda)
9. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
8. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
7. Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
6. Doomguy (DOOM)
5. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
4. Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
3. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Wonder Red (the Wonderful 101)
1. Rayman (Rayman)
Slight update, seeing as we know the base roster and Isaac's an assist trophy. I'm working under the assumption that Spirits, on their own, don't confirm that characters can't be DLC, since otherwise, almost every single Nintendo character but the extremely obscure ones would be ruled out.

Honourable mention goes to Dante from the Devil May Cry series (yes, seriously) - he'd be a ton of fun to play as, but four Capcom characters seems a little excessive.

10. Captain Toad (Mario) - assuming that, much like Toon Link on Spirit Tracks, being a non-interactive element on a stage doesn't rule him out
9. Impa (The Legend of Zelda)
8. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
7. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
6. Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
5. Doomguy (DOOM)
4. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
3. Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness) - I'm a little surprised that she got in as a spirit, given that the game wasn't made in Japan
2. Wonder Red (the Wonderful 101)
1. Rayman (Rayman)

Just for fun, I'll compare that to my original top ten:

10. Doomguy (DOOM)
9. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)
8. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
7. Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
6. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
5. Isaac (Golden Sun)
4. Wonder Red (the Wonderful 101)
3. Rayman (Rayman)
2. Ridley (Metroid)
1. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)

My bottom four moved up a LOT of places thanks to a mix of confirmations and assist trophies. Shame about Shovel Knight, though I'm extremely excited that Ridley and K. Rool became playable!

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
1. Doom Guy
2. KOS-MOS
3. Camilla
4. Steve
5. Terra Branford
6. Duke Nukem
7. Geno
8. Shantae
9. Mach Rider
10. Any other incarnation of Zelda (including Hilda)

I won't include troll characters like Shrek, Goku, or Kitty White (Hello Kitty) but I do support their inclusion.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Update Time

10. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga/Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
9. Aigis (Persona 3/Persona Q)
8. Isaac (Golden Sun)
7. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
6. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
5. Geno (Super Mario RPG)
4. Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion; as an Inkling echo)
3. Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes)
2. Crash Bandicoot
1. Joker (Persona 5/Persona Q2)
Probably the last time I'm updating my list, note that given the circumstances, the top 5 characters will be the characters I want the most, while the other 5 are just moderate wants. Spirits do not deconfirm characters imo.

10. Ninten
9. KOS-MOS
8. Aigis (Persona 3/Persona Q)
7. Ayumi Tachibana
6. The unnamed girl from Monolith Soft's concept art thing (big stretch I know, but I could've think of a 10th character, you all owe me a drink if I somehow predict this correctly)
5. Geno
4. Octoling (my hopes are slightly lower due to DLC echoes being deconfirmed)
3. Crash Bandicoot
2. Celica (Fire Emblem Gaiden/Fire Emblem Echoes)
1. Joker (Persona 5/Persona Q2)

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'm jumping on the bandwagon and updating my list. My views and opinions on Smash have changed significantly since the last time I posted, so my list is gonna look quite different. For each number I summarized my thoughts on the character, and then after it put where the character ranked on the last list compared to now in the format of #<#

Previously on the list:
Skull Kid- From 2 to off the list, Skull Kid saw the biggest drop on this list. I don't know why he was so high before to be honest. I've wanted him in the game since Brawl, but he's never been one of my most wanted characters, just someone I would appreciate to see in. I'm fine with him being an assist trophy because there's other characters I want more. He'd be cool, but Impa's before him for sure. I think I ranked him so high before because I honestly believed he was going to get in back when all the evidence was pointing towards it, but like the Smash community often does, we read into simple details far too much. 2<Unranked

Chibi-Robo- Unlike Skull Kid, I'm still very much rooting for this little robot. I just has to rethink my priorities, and sadly he wasn't one of them. He'd surely be number eleven if I would have extended the list. He was basically replaced with Ray MK III who I thought had more moveset potential and would fit in Smash better, but I would love to see them both make an appearance 10<Unranked

10. Impa- We all know Legend of Zelda needs more representation. We have 3 Links that HAVE the potential to play differently but don't, Zelda and her alter ego, and a Ganondorf that is still way too similar to Captain Falcon. Impa would play extremely different than anyone else in the series and could use her Naginata or Giant's Knife, both of which were awesome weapons. She'd be another kick-butt female in the game, and more representation for one of Nintendo's biggest series. Zelda hasn't really gotten a new character since Melee because Toon Link was practically Young Link's replacement, so it's time we get Impa in. Unranked<10

9. Ray MK III- When I made my last list, I honestly barely knew who this guy was. I knew he was an assist trophy in Brawl and from a series called Custom Robo. I honestly assumed it was a spin off of Chibi-Robo, which was dumb in retrospect, but do you blame me? Two series with extremely similar names and robots as characters. Anyways, the more I looked at and researched this guy, the more I wanted him playable. His design is incredibly unique, the moveset is there and exactly what Sakurai looks for (being something different than whats already in the game), and having more series in Smash is always good. Custom Robo is one of those franchises that is always overlooked, and I think it would be a great sign of respect to put Ray in Smash. Unranked<9

8. Spring Man- Another character who was not on my first list. Honestly would of put him on, but I kind of forgot about him and didn't seen him making base game because of ARMS' late release. I loved ARMS and played it constantly. It was such a breath of fresh air into Nintendo, like Splatoon was a few years back, and showed that they are still able to make new games with new ideas. Despite appearing as an assist trophy, I think Spring Man is still possible for DLC. I doubt that if Nintendo is picking the characters an ARMS rep won't make it in, because they'll probably want to cross promote. And cross promoting with ARMS is a lot safer than a few other companies that are already in some people's opinion overrepresented like Fire Emblem and even Mario. Also, by the time the DLC is have way through it will have been two years since the original ARMS, so it might be time for another installment in the franchise by then. Unranked<8

7. Chorus Men- Another character (or 3 I guess) that were excluded from my previous list. That's 3 in a row, all of whom come from unrepresented series. Like Rayman, I kind of forgot about them following Smash Ultimate's announcement, but there back on my radar again. Rhythm Heaven is one of those series that really should have a character in Smash, along with others like Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars. And I feel the Chorus Kids would bring something entirely unique and fresh to the table. Not to mention we've never had a trio in Smash. I think that trio mechanic might be whats holding them back. I mean in 8 player smash if everyone played as the Chorus Kids, that would be 24 characters on the stage. If anyone can make this work though, it's Sakurai. I don't feel like they're a DLC character, and am honestly surprised they didn't make base game as they were planned for 4 but scrapped because of 3DS limitations. Unranked<7

6. Rayman- Another character who I thought would've gotten into whatever Smash came after Wii U/3DS for sure. Rayman had the biggest move upward on my list, moving from spot 9 to spot 6. I was really high on him during the Smash 4 DLC days but kind of lost that interest during Ultimate's speculation, which is why he was so low previously. I'm back in love with this character and am really loving his chances for DLC. I don't know, something about him just feels like a DLC character to me. He'd sell pretty well and Nintendo and Ubisoft have an amazing relationship, but it blossomed into what it is today just a little too late for Rayman to make the base roster. Plus, Simon is arguably more iconic and appeals more to the day one buyers of Smash. Rayman's still hype though, and I don't care what people say, he's a video gaming and platform legend, and helped refine what we have today along with others like Mario, Banjo, and Crash. 9<6

5. Isaac- Golden boy was shafted once again. I honestly kind of feel bad, because I can tell Sakurai saved Isaac as an assist trophy until the last direct because he thought we would be excited to see him, but instead we all looked on with tears in our eyes. I've said it many times, but the fact that we don't have a Golden Sun character in the game is seriously wrong. Golden Sun represents everything the GBA could and did do right, so it's only right that Isaac gets put into Smash. He doesn't seem that likely for DLC sadly; if they do make an assist trophy playable they'll probably go for Waluigi because he'll sell like crazy or a 3rd party like Bomberman or Shovel Knight because no one will see it coming. 5<5

4. Banjo & Kazooie- If there's one third party who deserves to be in Smash, it's these guys. Behind Bandana Dee they're probably the most popular characters (probably were less popular during the ballot but are more popular now). There's just something about Banjo and Kazooie that reminds everyone of the good old days, back when they too were a part of the Nintendo family. Him being in Smash would solidify there place back with all of their old friend, and some new ones too, so it just makes so much sense to put them in the biggest fighting game crossover of all time. They seem pretty likely as DLC as we will likely get a few third parties and Microsoft and Nintendo are buddies. Banjo & Kazooie have moved up 2 spots on my list, because the longer there not in Smash the more and more I realize how much I want them. 6<4

3. Bandana Dee- His omission from Smash Ultimate probably took me the most off guard. Everything seemed to be lining up for him: he was not in the background of Dedede's final smash, he has popularity in Japan AND the West (something few characters have, most are one or the other), he was relevant and a fan favorite, and had all the moveset potential in the world. As I said in my original post here, if you average all the polls, he's the highest ranking character not already in the game. I just can't believe Sakurai did not put him in, especially considering he's a Kirby fighter. Nonetheless, his chances as DLC look decent as he's not an assist trophy or boss. 4<3

2. Captain Toad- Treasure Tracker is a severely underrated game with a severly underrated protagonist. Not only does Toad finally get a chance to shine in that game, but his personality is also visible as is his uniqueness. He's practically got a moveset build for Smash in Treasure Tracker, and no, him not being able to jump doesn't disclude him from Smash. There's plenty of workarounds like having platforms lift him up or riding a minecart. I'm honestly shocked that Toad wasn't even seen as a contender for Smash Ultimate considering how relevant and iconic he is; I mean the fact that he's still not in as a Mario rep is a bit daunting when lesser known Mario characters like Dr. Mario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., and Piranha Plant have made it. Anyways, as far as his chances for DLC, I think Nintendo picking the characters might actually help him because they'll likely go for relevant characters. 3<2

1. Dixie Kong- First then, and first now. Dixie Kong will be first on every one of my most wanted lists until she gets into the game. I feel like a broken record now, but I'll give you the rundown. Another kick-butt female is always welcome in Smash, and Dixie was one of the first of these to break onto the gaming scene. Her inclusion in Smash would complete the trifecta of Kongs, with K. Rool there as a bonus to round out the perfect DK cast. She'd have an incredibly unique moveset which could center around her hair attacks. I have my fingers crossed for Dixie as DLC. 1<1

UserKev

Smash Champion
1. Mimikyu
2. Ghirahim
3. Doc Louis
4. Cranky Kong
5. Kamek
6. Dixie Kong
7. Skull Kid
8. Lyn
9. Slippy Toad
10 Bandana Dee

These are legitimately my last wants throughout all of Smash. I want Smash to reclaim its strong Nintendo presence. Third party characters overshadows majority of the roster in a unhealthy way.

Make Smash great again.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Here is my top ten!

1.Magolor
2.Bandana Dee
3.Banjo and Kazooie
4.Gooey (as a Kirby echo?)
5.Dark Meta Knight (as a Meta Knight echo)
6.Tapu Coco
7.Impa
8.Adeleine (and Ribbon)
9.Dixie Kong (as a Diddy Kong semi-echo)
10.Taranza

(If you somehow couldn't tell, I'm a huge Kirby fan lol)

R O F L

Smash Ace
1. Unique Louie
2. Any other Pikmin rep
3. Shovel Knight
4. Magolor
5. Bandana Dee
6. King Boo
7. Paper Mario
8. Cranky Kong
9. Dixie Kong
10. Chibi-Robo

I never noticed how many people I want considering I've only played a few franchises.
Some other people I would like: Steve, Toad, Galacta Knight, Susie, Dark Meta Knight, Marx, Toon Ganondorf, Urban Champion, and Excite Biker.

Midnight Torch

Smash Cadet
10 - Neku Sakuraba
9 - Fjorm
8 - Shantae
7 - KOS-MOS
6 - Edelgard
5 - Sora
4 - Celica
3 - Elma
2 - Bandana Dee
1 - Rex & Pyra/Mythra (If they somehow get in, I will rejoice)

Top Bottom