• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toot-Toot Execution Tips?

trannel

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
I'm a casual Smash player who has had G&W as a beloved secondary ever since Melee. Sadly, in this newest game i have more trouble than ever beating my friends, at least while playing G&W. Long story short, i want to improve and learn the Toot-Toot combo.

I tried to get it down by myself in training mode, but so far i have not gotten it to register as a combo even once, let alone did i have any success trying it in matches. I used the percentages from the Toot-Toot thread in this subforum, so that shouldnt be the problem.
I'm doing something wrong execution wise, and thats where i was hoping for some help. I have two main problems when trying it in training mode: First, and foremost, i somehow am too slow. As i said, i cant get it to register as a combo.
Secondly, when i finally do reach the target with my uair, the opponent just falls out of the move after the first Toot. I wanna learn the mighty Toot-Toot, but all i can do is a delayed little Toot. It's so sad :(

So, do you guys have any idea as to what i could be doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help :)

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
Getting the toot toot is quite easy once you have the Timing down. That's something nobody can help you with, but I can suggest you a method on how to get it.

Before, let me tell you about the buffer window in sm4sh. When you are in any sort of lag/Animation, you have 10 Frames (which equals 10/60th of a second, so a sixth of a second) in which you can buffer any command. Doing that allows that Action to come out on Frame 1, aka. the very first Moment you can do said Action. This goes for jumping as well.

So you know how you down throw your Opponent and you're stuck in that Little thrown Animation? At the end of that animation, that's when you can make use of that 10 Frame window and input a jump so it comes out as fast as possible. With no DI (which is the case in Training mode) you can input down throw, diagonal jump, to a normal double jump upwards. During that second jump, you Need to input upair pretty early in order for the toot toot to connect. Once you got that down, you should be able to connect the toot toot under normal circumstances.

Since you said that you played this game casually, this should be pretty much it, but if you want to Train it more, you may want to know how to follow DI (which stands for Directional Influence). Your Opponent can input a direction before he gets thrown and he will be able to manipulate the angle a bit. In G&W's dthrow case, he can for example hold into G&W to get sent straight up, or away to get sent further away. This makes connecting the toot toot versus real opponents harder. The list you took for example takes said DI into account, so try the percentages inbetween if you want to test it in Training mode.

Hope this could help! If I explained anything weird or complicated, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

natethegreat2nd

Smash Rookie
This guy is right. But what I have to add is that I also changed my right shoulder button to jump so I can keep my thumb on the C-stick and get the 2nd trigger pull and uair at the exact same time. At certain percents you can bounce people into the second hit by moving upwards quickly with your uair hitbox and windbox out.

Top Bottom