• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Grab Follow-Ups Thread

MJG

Smash Hero
Well, it turns out that TL's grab proves useful in certain situations.

This thread will display all of TLs Grab Follow-Ups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IDf_6aZA8

(Credit to Rakan from Socal for helping me confirm the Fox Follow-Up)

:fox:
With Fox's CG, we can do this anywhere below 28% and you can still connect with Down Smash afterwards. You MUST buffer down smash or Fox will be able to Jump/Shield the down smash and you will also eat damage if you whiff the 2nd Grab as well.

I would recommend just doing "Down Throw to Down Smash" unless you can buffer "Down Throw to Down Throw" fequently.

:ness:
All you have to do with ness is to grab him with our amazing grab :). After this is done, start mashing down on the C-Stick. When doing this, you will pummel Ness and you will be able to Down Smash ness after he breaks free.

I tried to get the ness player to have ness air release (I know ness can do it vs TL but I am not sure how).

With that being said, if Ness Air releases, you can follow up with a fair and if Ness Air dodges, you can follow up with nair or uair (depending on their DI).

I am looking for more things to do with TL as of right now. Hopefully everyone can make good use out of these findings.

:toonlink:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Good stuff. With that, my Toon Link has gained 268 EXP and went up 1 level. XD

The grab-release on Ness isn't surprising though, and I assume the same can be done with Lucas, yes?

Yink told me that it's probably possible, but I haven't been able to recreate it.

Then again, I only tried it once. :urg:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I love it and I'll be using it from now on.
Fox main's will try to tell you they aint worried, but it's all lies XD.
Considering it puts Fox in a potentially bad position off the stage, I can imagine the naysayers are merely bluffing. Not hating on Fox or anything, of course, but they should be wary. I suppose the good news for them is that Toon Link is in serious trouble if he whiffs a grab attempt. XD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It is not possible.

Lucas slides too far away.

I think we have something on Squirtle..but I haven't done anything with Squirtle in awhile lol.
Aww, that would've been nice if we could've done the same to Lucas. As for Squirtle, I'd like to see what it is Toon Link has on him. Last I remembered, Squirtle had a normal grab-release animation, unless you meant some useful move that follows a throw.

MJG

Smash Hero
Aww, that would've been nice if we could've done the same to Lucas. As for Squirtle, I'd like to see what it is Toon Link has on him. Last I remembered, Squirtle had a normal grab-release animation, unless you meant some useful move that follows a throw.
Maybe I was thinking of a different character but squirtle came to mind.

I will test some of this stuff out later. I have been trying to out gay the cast too much for one day lol.

KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
hmmmm Snake is someone who can be followup after a dthrow

Take a look at 0:56:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMX7XtIlrKw

Its a 50 - 50 chance to hit him, because he can make a bair out of it. But if he do this and you shield you can perform your combo, because of his Lag situation.

It haves something to do because of his landing situation, he is on the landing frames, where he can do nothing. Someone have to test it. when it is gurantee.

Its just a think of me.

MJG

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure that snake can just buffer bair at any percentage below 50% (I listed 50% since we can juggle our opponents at a lower percentage easier) before we can shield.

With that being said, you could probably put your shield up before snake bair TL and then you could follow up from there.

I usually try to just stay away from snake altogether though lol.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
I know you can chain multiple dthrows on Ganondorf up until about 40%. You might be able to do the dsmash right after as well, I can check that when I get back to school on Friday.

but who plays :ganondorf:

MJG

Smash Hero
It is not possible.

Lucas slides too far away.

I think we have something on Squirtle..but I haven't done anything with Squirtle in awhile lol.
Maybe I was thinking of a different character but squirtle came to mind.

I will test some of this stuff out later. I have been trying to out gay the cast too much for one day lol.
YES.

I wasn't crazy.

GGs Reflex.

MJG

Smash Hero
Updated: TL can do: Down throw> Bair > Footstool > Dair > Dair Pogo > Bair or Zair to Grab (depending on the fox players DI) if the fox player is anywhere from 0-14% or so...

Just another mix up instead of doing the Down throw CG on fox. This does about 45-55.

TL can nair Squirtle after a grounded release and he can up smash squirtle if squirtle air releases. Not like any PTs will be an issue in the future (unless you come across Reflex) but I feel like this can be useful.

Flea_16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flea_16
Updated: TL can do: Down throw> Bair > Footstool > Dair > Dair Pogo > Bair or Zair to Grab (depending on the fox players DI) if the fox player is anywhere from 0-14% or so...

Just another mix up instead of doing the Down throw CG on fox. This does about 45-55.

TL can nair Squirtle after a grounded release and he can up smash squirtle if squirtle air releases. Not like any PTs will be an issue in the future (unless you come across Reflex) but I feel like this can be useful.
Reflex is in my region, imma test this out with him when i get a chance to !!!

Jash

Smash Lord
Against Lucas, you can grab release to buffer dash short hop nair.
Against Ivysaur, you can air grab release into full hop nair or full hop zair.
Against Charizard, you can air grab release to buffer dash short hop Zair
Against Lucario, you can air grab release to full hop Zair.
Against Snake, you can air grab release to short hop Zair.
Against Olimar, you can air grab release to full hop Zair
Against Mario, you can air grab release to full hop Zair.
Against Sonic, you can air grab release to full hop Zair.
Against Donkey Kong, you can air grab release to short hop Zair.
Against Yoshi, you can air grab release to short hop Zair. (You better time that good)
Against Ike, you can air grab release to short hop Zair,

Against Squirtle, you can air grab release to Nair, Zair and Upsmash. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 24%.
Against Falco, you can Dthrow Utilt from 0% - 13%.
Against Wolf, you can Dthrow turn around Jab from 0% - 29%.
Against Kirby, you can air grab release to full hop Zair. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 25%.
Against Zelda, you can air grab release her to full hop Zair. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 25%.
Against Jigglypuff, you can air grab release her to full hop Up air. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 25%.
Against Pikachu, you can air grab release him to short hop Zair. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 25%.
Against Metaknight, you can air grab release him to Nair, Zair and Upsmash. You can also Dthrow Bair from 0% - 25%.
Against Sheik, you can Dthrow turn around Jab from 0% - 20% and Dthrow Bair from 20% - 26%.
Against G&W, you can Dthrow Bair from 0% - 24%.
Wario just gets ***** from air grab release.

And that's all I know for now, Fox was already mentioned which is correct as well.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I just thought of something you guys might want to know. You know how TL can get a guaranteed D-smash off a D-throw on Fox at low percents? Well this also means that he can get a guaranteed BCD.
The best method I found was to tilt-throw a bomb up, instantly grab, and then buffer the d-throw to turn around D-smash. If done quick enough and presuming you get the grab in the first place, it all works out perfectly and you get that BCD every time.
Because of the strict timing, keep in mind that this will not work if you grab them at maximum range because of the extra time it takes to reel them in.
Anyway, I found it amusing, so there you go.

Top Bottom