• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Tech?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
So I was wondering if there was a list of Toon Link specific tech? I know AGT (and the universal ones) but I was wondering if there was somewhere that explained how to use bomb jumping with 3.5 Tink to recover? Also, is run off up-b still a thing like it is for Young Link in Melee or no?

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
There isn't really any Tink specific tech that can't be applied to 1 or more other characters. I'd say get real used to b-reversing and even wavebouncing as it gives you some solid movement options with all your projectiles.

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone else get just a little annoyed at the fact that you can't b-reverse / wavebounce a bomb pull?

Are you looking for info on when to use bomb jumping or how to bomb jump?

As far as how, you can pretty much look up one of the old 3.0 tuts and just use that except in 3.5 the timing is way easier because the bomb doesn't get thrown as far.

As far as when, I think it's much more of a last ditch effort in this version. You don't get nearly as much height, and you can only really get one bomb jump off in an "off stage session". Basically if you're way out you'd do something like AGT, AGT, then a bomb jump if you really need it to make it back for an airdodge -> tether or just ledge grab.

I don't see why you couldn't use run off up-b (as long as you make sure you reverse it). I imagine it would be pretty situational and would only cover 1 or 2 options but if you have a good read then I guess it's worth a shot.

NightRaid|tAmA?

Smash Cadet
So I was wondering if there was a list of Toon Link specific tech? I know AGT (and the universal ones) but I was wondering if there was somewhere that explained how to use bomb jumping with 3.5 Tink to recover? Also, is run off up-b still a thing like it is for Young Link in Melee or no?
There's actually an easier version where you stand, with your back to the ledge, and charge the up-b a little and move it off-stage

Serge+

Smash Rookie
There's actually an easier version where you stand, with your back to the ledge, and charge the up-b a little and move it off-stage
I want to expand a little bit more on this, tho, because I think I might have tested this (and forgot, or bad experimentation and control.)

•But does fully charging up-B and spinning of the ledge give you and advantage over just running off the edge at all?
•Does the falling Up-B from a platform/ledge act as a grounded (drilling) up-b or an aerial (kill move) up-b?
•I saw someone in melee do this with link, but can you drop a bomb with Z, attack with A, and at the same time grab the bomb with such aerial? (as you would if you dropped an item, right?)

If you are incapable of answering, no worries, someone might come and answer these, hopefully for the enlightening of another user, besides me, that might be in search of this information.

Side-note-ish: I remember doing the charged up-b offstage > AGT upward> fair/bair (can't remember) > up-b into bomb launched up> recover. I don't quite recall the results but it was like some balls deep experiment if anyone wants to help me confirm if this is remotely true just for the laughs.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
This is strange tech that I think I discovered. It allows you to do an F-smash while holding a bomb which can really throw your enemy off guard. It is fairly easy to do. Simple hold A down while pulling out a bomb ( easiest way is to hold A while in the bomb animation) then preform and F-smash with C-stick and release A at the same time (otherwise you will charge the smash attack). You can do another F-smash if you hold A again while in the F-smash animation. You can do this till your bomb explodes.A limitation is, that F-smash is the only attack that works (you can still throw the bomb with Z). This is similar to the way peach can use arials with a veggi while floating, but less practical.

P.S.
This tech works with all characters who can pull out held items(Peach, Diddy, Toon Link, Link, Rob, and Snake techinally can but it has the be with the shield release trick) This tech also works with every character (by picking up and item with A or wavegrabbing and holding A in mid land animation, but Toon link is one of a select characters that can use it.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I want to expand a little bit more on this, tho, because I think I might have tested this (and forgot, or bad experimentation and control.)

•But does fully charging up-B and spinning of the ledge give you and advantage over just running off the edge at all?
•Does the falling Up-B from a platform/ledge act as a grounded (drilling) up-b or an aerial (kill move) up-b?
•I saw someone in melee do this with link, but can you drop a bomb with Z, attack with A, and at the same time grab the bomb with such aerial? (as you would if you dropped an item, right?)

If you are incapable of answering, no worries, someone might come and answer these, hopefully for the enlightening of another user, besides me, that might be in search of this information.

Side-note-ish: I remember doing the charged up-b offstage > AGT upward> fair/bair (can't remember) > up-b into bomb launched up> recover. I don't quite recall the results but it was like some balls deep experiment if anyone wants to help me confirm if this is remotely true just for the laughs.
The falling up-B is faster, even if it is harder. Learning it should benefit you in the longrun.
The falling up-B works as aerial up-B. It normally doesn't KO because the upward distance needed to reach the blast zones is even more when you do it at the ledge. Still, the 17% are very helpful, and if they fail DI and tech you might get a stagespike!
Recatching with an attack is not possible if I'm correct, I can't be completely sure though.
About your recovery sequence, depending on several factors it could have happened but why did you do a bair/fair inbetween?

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
This is just a weird trick on Green Hill Zone I figured out. on the platform going in a half-circle, if you light drop a bomb (short hop then immediately press Z) while it is going downwards, if will bounce in place. This isn't very useful I guess, but it does keep the active hit boxes while in bounces so if an enemy goes over it, they will get hit.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
ledge dashing is really good with tink. he can drop from the ledge, DJ, then waveland on to the stage very quickly compared to most characters. fox, wolf, shiek, falco, roy, and tink are characters that have a notably faster ledge dash than most characters, and thus can take a lot of advantage of the invincibility frames to escape, counter attack, or get favorable positioning. there might be a few others like possibly MK, diddy, or pika, but i havent tested them, only the ones above.

Top Bottom