• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Rediscussion #9: Wario

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Stop talking about freaking playing each other.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Look at what they get done and compare it to what you guys get done.
It's pathetic.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, all that hard work they putting into smashboards but they not showing anything with that in actual tournament. Let them handle things the way they want to, and we can handle stuff the way we want to.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Yeah, there are defiantly no good Fox players. =/

Not like I uploaded videos of a random Fox player almost taking Ally to last stock or anything. =/
Oh wait.

Maybe, just maybe, there match up discussions help people! *gasp*

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Wow, wtf, ALMOST taking ally to last stock. Meaning this random fox got two stocked. Ggs lmao

But how about us TLs, Chip took ally to game 3..

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ugh sasuke stop criticizing my work. If you dont like my matchup discussions well...dont contribute...oh wait, u dont. At least nothing of value anyway.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Sheikant, you're the only one actually trying. I didn't say you weren't.

And go look at old match up discussions and see how much I've contributed. =/

Wow, wtf, ALMOST taking ally to last stock. Meaning this random fox got two stocked. Ggs lmao

RANDOM Fox.
A RANDOM Fox being able to almost take Ally to last stock. All of it was from match-up that comes from these discussions.

And comparing Chip to a random player. ggs

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Dude, in no way, getting two stocked is an accomplishment. I'm also guessing this happened in friendlies.

Also, I am not arguing the fact the fox's walls of text dont help them. Im saying, dont come comparing TL's to fox and trying to put us down because we arent handling things the way YOU want us to. The best way to learn this game is through exp anyways. Doing the match ups on your own, and finding out ways that you are comfortable with to take out your opponents character. Match ups really arent that important. These threads should be used as a place to look for tips for match ups you have trouble with. Not a step by step guide on what to do.

Lobos

Smash Master
Fox is actually good vs snake lol some random beat candy with fox and made him go MK once. lol I think shiekant is doing a good job with these and everyone puts in alittle info at a time so I don't see the big deal lol

lol sasuke chan /toonlink

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ok....... So can we work on figuring out how to beat Wario or are you guys still gonna fight over silly things?

TheJerm

Smash Champion
That fox got beat pretty bad. Two solid two stocks. Showing that vid hurt your argument imo =/

But anyways, back to wario, I dont know what else there is to say. I think everything was covered. Just shut down his options people.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
That fox got beat pretty bad. Two solid two stocks. Showing that vid hurt your argument imo =/

But anyways, back to wario, I dont know what else there is to say. I think everything was covered. Just shut down his options people.
So basically wall of projectiles to zone him out?

Well I don't know much about this match up really. What I do know is that you can grab out of Wario's bike while grounded. I also understand that not many Warios do this, just like how not many Toon Links use F-smash. Warios tend to use the bike as a form of recovery. Do not get under the bike if there is no floor below you. Also, if the bike is lying on the ground, keep it alive. A new bike won't respond until the old one disappears.

The fart (waft) is one of Wario's best moves. It's a kill move, and can be used for vertical recovery. It kills early (i think) and has a fairly large hitbox (i think). An uncharged waft trips.

Uair is Jesus for Wario. Don't get hit by it.
If you get hit by a dair, SDI up.
If you get hit by a rising dair, Di down.

I have no idea what is effective against an air campy Wario except baiting and punishing. I hear that the boomerang is a miracle worker, and that bombs are just ok.

Apparently bair strings work well. I don't know WHAT makes them work well, just like nair>quickdraw with Olimar, but it works. Ummm.... Wario's down smash is punishable. Wario's Fsmash has short range, but is powerful.

According to the Counterpicks/Ban stage, Smashville and Yoshi's Island are good CPs (especially YI). On the other hand, Norfair and Brinstar are must bans. BTW Sasuke, you have to fix a sentence in the Wario section of the CP/Ban thread.

The ledges also force Wario to recover to not recover low (because that setups up for an easy edgehog/spike)
Is there anything else that I should know?

copacetic

Smash Journeyman

I'm a random TL that took Ally to about 190% 2nd stock each time in pools. I don't have too much snake exp, these discussions help. (also, game 2 he had to C4 to recover, I spiked him out of it but he DI'ed onstage and teched the landing and hit me with an utilt while i was still in the pogo. WTF.)

And for wario, if you can get his bike onstage, just try to camp near it and keep him away. Wait for him to do something stupid and get him offstage. His recovery sucks without the bike unless he has a full waft

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm a random TL that took Ally to about 190% 2nd stock each time in pools. I don't have too much snake exp, these discussions help. (also, game 2 he had to C4 to recover, I spiked him out of it but he DI'ed onstage and teched the landing and hit me with an utilt while i was still in the pogo. WTF.)

And for wario, if you can get his bike onstage, just try to camp near it and keep him away. Wait for him to do something stupid and get him offstage. His recovery sucks without the bike unless he has a full waft
How does the waft build up anyway? Is there something the Wario player has to do in order to charge up the fart, or does it just build up as time progresses?

Self Distructo

Smash Apprentice
When he's off the edge and tries to bite you and suicide, throw a bomb in his mouth and he'll fall from the lag =D. That's my one and only strategy against Wario. Don't judge me.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If he tries to bite you onstage, throw a bomb and them hit him with a strong move. >_>

I've done it a few times with JC throws.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I play against a good wario and kirby a lot. TL shouldn't ever be killed by a bite- or (non-D3) swallowcide unless you're way offstage or on Japes. Our vertical recovery is too good for that, even without a second jump.

KaosBombix

Smash Rookie
This thread is getting spammy and stupid.

What should you do after being hit by Dair?
55-45 I think

when you start the match ( 8 minutes - 7 minutes, you can fight with bair, uair, nair ... and after, when is Bdown can kill really fast ( 7 minutes - 6 ), you can camping a lots I think

TreezNTreflips

Smash Rookie
I actually rock at this matchup and I dont think its in warios favor at all, here are some tips

- Warios almost never approach from the ground, thats the most important thing
- Knowing this you can pretty much read his position in the air and have a sword there with any of your ariels
- They like to air dodge a lot so you have to memorize their trajectory and time the bair/nair/fair/upair to the end of hte air dodge

- Our down air takes away his valuable kill option, upair

DEALING WITH WAFTS:
- Warios usually don't waft perfectly oos and in fast reaction situations, most of the warios ive fought have a pattern or mind-games strat for hitting them
- The most common ways Warios setup the waft are:
-Dropping it on your head from above (they also us upairs like this)
-Fair Setups

BIKE TRICKS
-They like to throw their bikes off the edge
-The also can extend their hit boxes by hitting the bike, for example if they waft on it it'll spread that hitbox

Last edited:
Top Bottom