• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Export~

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Toon Link
:toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink:

Wolf's Current Ratio: 0

Annoying Moves:
Killing:
Zoning:
Chaingrabs/Tilt Locks/Grab Releases:
What To Do Offstage:
Stages
- Strike:
- Ban:
- Pick:
MU Tricksies:
Synopsis and Quotes:

:059:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Wolf should use his aerials to outprioritize all projectiles. He can easily Bair through them or reflect em' back. At percents Tl kills Wolf (Around 110ish?), the Wolf player should stay grounded and play defensive. Watch out for bomb>Uair or Bomb>Bait airdodge>Usmash. Generally don't AD vs this mofo. Use shine. He isn't reliable at killing Wolf. Camp him back with your laser.

Don't approach a TL that is sitting right at the ledge. He wants to Dsmash (only 1st hit), which WILL kill you.

Matchup synopsis: +1 Wolf's favor in my opinion. It's just so much harder for TL to kill Wolf and get in. Wolf's weight is also helpful, whilst TL is light.

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolf may actually beat TL but I don't have quite enough experience yet to confirm if that's really the case. I've played one of the better TL's from EU and after solidly losing to him in the beginning I started beating him very consistently after getting the hang of it. For now, I don't think 0 is wrong.

What really stood out as important to me in this match-up was that there's no point in challenging his vertical spacing. If you go for a quick juggle you'll eat a dair and if you try to shine or dair through his uair you will lose period. In the same hand, whenever I was in a position to freely through out spaced bairs there was little to no hope for TL to actually get through that and he had to keep looking for his opportunity to strike vertically. Because that's when he can pull of some of his stupid bair chains [which hit slightly upwards rather than straight behind] and rack the damage you wanna avoid.

You can harass him when he's offstage. Watch out for his boomerang but other than that you can just bair through anything he has - there is really no risk involved and the reward can be really sweet.
One thing I find very annoying about him is that during some of his cooldown periods he assumes a slightly crouching position causing you to whiff rising bair [which is the one you wanna use OoS]. Watch out for that because it gives him free usmashes and utilts.

M.C. Pee-Pants

Smash Journeyman
Wolf should use his aerials to outprioritize all projectiles. He can easily Bair through them or reflect em' back. At percents Tl kills Wolf (Around 110ish?), the Wolf player should stay grounded and play defensive. Watch out for bomb>Uair or Bomb>Bait airdodge>Usmash. Generally don't AD vs this mofo. Use shine. He isn't reliable at killing Wolf. Camp him back with your laser.

Don't approach a TL that is sitting right at the ledge. He wants to Dsmash (only 1st hit), which WILL kill you.

Matchup synopsis: +1 Wolf's favor in my opinion. It's just so much harder for TL to kill Wolf and get in. Wolf's weight is also helpful, whilst TL is light.

:phone:
I thought dsmash thing works if you dont DI? I recommend banning bf and delphino cause if the tl has the lead he will mostly just jump on the platforms and throwing bombs at you to rack up the damage other than that this mu isnt a bad one just more of a annoying espically if your playstyle is aggro.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I thought dsmash thing works if you dont DI? I recommend banning bf and delphino cause if the tl has the lead he will mostly just jump on the platforms and throwing bombs at you to rack up the damage other than that this mu isnt a bad one just more of a annoying espically if your playstyle is aggro.
You can duck under a platform or stay in shine and the bombs won't be able to do anything/hit you. I don't know what stages Tl's are amazing on. Tl seems like Wolf in that he has not really any bad stages and is good on all of them. He probably is bad on Rc or Frigate too?

M.C. Pee-Pants

Smash Journeyman
You can duck under a platform or stay in shine and the bombs won't be able to do anything/hit you. I don't know what stages Tl's are amazing on. Tl seems like Wolf in that he has not really any bad stages and is good on all of them. He probably is bad on Rc or Frigate too?
I think frigate is a bad stage for tl and I think rc is a good stage for tl espically in dubz ,wolf can also jab tl arrows and boomerang but its just better to shine it :p

KRDsonic

Smash Master
No it won't. It will get Wolf off the ledge, yes, but it doesn't kill him. Jerm's done it to me before, I recovered just fine. It really only kills characters with bad air speed and bad recover, like Sheik and maybe Mario.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Think that trick only really works on YI. Just saying

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Worked on me vs Kingtoon on Lylat cruise. Guess they need an incline specifically then.

D

Deleted member

Think that trick only really works on YI. Just saying
No. All they need is just a slight slant. This cost me a game on Delfino Plaza on the beach part. I was only at 60% and it killed me.

It's THE #1 thing to watch out for in this matchup, if you ask me.

TL doesn't need a slant to do the DSmash gimp. If Wolf is at low percents (from 0% to about 20% or so), the second hit will miss regardless of whether there's a slant or not. The only thing that the slant does is guarantee that you can do it at any percent. However, it's veeeeeery situational, and very risky to do since there's no setup for it, and if you mess up, TL is vulnerable right next to the ledge. It shouldn't be the #1 thing to look out for, but you should look out for it nonetheless.

Something you should do is just remember TL's patterns and mixups. Also, TL suffers offstage and on the ledge, so keep him there.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Bair is really so good in this MU. Like, whenever TL fullhops, bair does some serious work imo. TL should be cautious with his FHs.

I always hear that TL suffers on the ledge, can someone give some more input on that? What are his options, and what tactics shut him down best?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Bair is really so good in this MU. Like, whenever TL fullhops, bair does some serious work imo. TL should be cautious with his FHs.

I always hear that TL suffers on the ledge, can someone give some more input on that? What are his options, and what tactics shut him down best?

If your not MK your ledge options are pretty much poop. Just think what TL could possibly do. Ledge Get up attack, roll (both are pretty bad) so that's out. He has possible aerials he could also use which are also bad since shielding and reacting can close that option. Only real safe thing he has and what most do is try to take out a bomb and grab it then try to get back on. If you react to his bomb options then yeah you should be able to make him have a really hard time getting back on stage.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
If your not MK your ledge options are pretty much poop. Just think what TL could possibly do. Ledge Get up attack, roll (both are pretty bad) so that's out. He has possible aerials he could also use which are also bad since shielding and reacting can close that option. Only real safe thing he has and what most do is try to take out a bomb and grab it then try to get back on. If you react to his bomb options then yeah you should be able to make him have a really hard time getting back on stage.
this x100

wolf beats TL

Just like Kain pointed out, all of TL's ledge recovery options are easily punishable, and therefore risky. What TL mains usually do is either wait it out on the ledge for an opening or mix up their risky options until they get something.

I'm not familiar with Wolf though, so I wouldn't know how he specifically would punish it, but you could always start by holding your shield close to the ledge as he's coming up, then doing something.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else thought of this on SV with Wolf vs TL?

Anyway, camp under the moving platform. When the plat form goes off stage, jump on it and go through it when it goes back to the level. That stops almost all of his little bomb tricks, and for everything else you can just reflect it back. TL can't really get in on wolf and most of his damage comes from bombs and strings. That platform messes up 2/3 of his approach options.

Someone test this more. It could be a automatic win for neutrals if it's picked. And maybe even CP back? I dunno.

Top Bottom