• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match Up Discussion: Kirby!

MJG

Smash Hero
omg thats my pic. had it on AIB for the longest time.
Yup.

Ill touch on this more later since its late but just keep kirby away from you. As silly and simple as that sounds, just try to do this. I feel like the biggest issue that TL mains have when going into this MU with little knowledge is the fact that they will underestimate kirby's ability to gimp TL. I like to throw a bomb towards the blast zone and bair back onto the stage (just one way of recovering. Mix it up!). Bair will be your best friend in this MU since kirby cannot penetrate TL if TL spaces bair well enough (retreating bair helps the most).

Gnes

Smash Master
Uh....toon link wins. As long as you watch your crossups and make smart killing decisions you shouldn't have a problem. Kirby is only good against tink off stage, other than that you should be ****** him.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Uh....toon link wins. As long as you watch your crossups and make smart killing decisions you shouldn't have a problem. Kirby is only good against tink off stage, other than that you should be ****** him.
You make kirby sound defenseless in this match, but kirby can be suprisingly difficult to camp. His bair will eat our arrows and rangs, and he edge guards very well. But it really isnt too hard to just play keep away, and force mistakes... and dont get hit by Famash
no ****

MJG

Smash Hero
You make kirby sound defenseless in this match, but kirby can be suprisingly difficult to camp. His bair will eat our arrows and rangs, and he edge guards very well. But it really isnt too hard to just play keep away, and force mistakes... and dont get hit by Famash
no ****
Of course kirby is going to hit you with bair if you are throwing projectiles when he is at a good distance! Our Bair sweeps underneath kirby and protects us. Its better to just throw bair out when he is at a relatively close distance and retreat with it as well.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Just keep a distance and when you land watch out for the grab. I've only played YBM's kirby and that's how he mostly gets damage against me. If you can stay away from bairs/fsmash you should be fine.

If he grabs at early percent and does the fthrow uair thing, you can jump right after. He might be able to chase and get you if he buffers.

^

If there's one thing that I've learned from Kewkky, it's that you really have to watch your landings in this MU. Use them bombs if you have one on you, if not, do a mix-up of some sort.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
This MU is weird at first but once u get used to it, u should be ****** aggresive kirby. His movement is just too slow which makes him super easy to camp. Beware though, never challenge his bair. Campy kirbies might be better. Dont let them get the lead.Be patient and keep throwing **** if they start air camping, making u get desperate is just what campy kirbies want. Never rush or ull get *****. His dair can gimp tl quite well, i never got gimped by it against kewk but ive seen twink get ***** by it before xd.

:phone:

Gnes

Smash Master
no ****
First, are you saying he's not difficult to camp or he is, cause you say both.

Kirby's airspeed is slow, as his running speed. As long as you keep him mid range you shouldnt have any problems. Of course there's little things he can do to be annoying, but he has no safe way inside of toon link. Just play keep away, which is what your chr. is amazing at.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I don't know what to add, except don't underestimate Kirby. It's not just his bair, fsmash and gimping that can mess around with you, his ftilt does a great job here too. Kirbies will probably try to go for grabs from time to time, but if they know they can't reach you, they'll ftilt you instead and follow after you. Kirby's gimping isn't that amazing against TL (you guys jump too high and are too floaty), and if you have a bomb in hand it's a better idea for Kirby to just let you grab the ledge and keep you out of the stage. Kirby might be slow, but from my experience he can catch up to you easily if he can trace your landing patterns and mess your landing up something nasty. If the Kirby is aggressive you can destroy him, but if he's smarter and a bit campier then it starts getting pretty tough.

I dunno what else to say.

The Zedi Wonder

Smash Rookie
if they start using the earthquake glitch on some stages it's pretty easy to hit them with an arrow when they transform, I've also noticed that if you can reach them while they are transforming into the rock it's fairly easy to hit them with Uair although very dangerous.

-Remix-

Smash Journeyman
Back on the tl boards gaiz :p

But yeah this mu is simple, well to me anyways. A lot of kirby's that I've played seem to do two things: Either Air camp hard-body, and clank our boomerangs with bair, or, they play very aggressive.

Against air campy kirbys, my best advice is to just out-camp. They really love to clank our boomerangs, so try to read their jump patterns and throw the boomerang accordingly. U-air helps a lot with reading the jump patterns to either stack damage, or get the kill. Out spacing their bair from under with our bair is also pretty important in the mu. And if they're out of jumps, juggle juggle juggle. Read the air dodges, and prepare to shield any dairs (if caught, Just DI away immediately, you can expect a d-tilt or fsmash). I wish I could say more about the mu, but I can't think too well right now lol. I'll be sure to say more about playing against this sort of kirby.

As for an aggressive Kirby, mid-range. I wouldn't recommend getting greedy for zair follow-ups. I suggest just DI-ing the opposite way of the kirby when zairing to avoid possible fsmashs, d-tilts, or OoS bairs. SHDA helps a lot imo. Keeps Kirby out of the air since he likes to short hop towards tl a lot. In the case where he SH air dodges, just react accordingly and punish. possibly up-b? I find this to be useful in this situation, but i still don't do it a lot. You can expect the Kirby To either try to read the punish, and attempt to ps, or to ground dodge, either way, up-b is a good punish for this sitation an I'm pretty sure Kirby has a hard time DIing out of tl's up-b. :p

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm glad I played Twinkie here back in PR a lot, so he knows how Kirby should play in this MU at top level.

And about clanking boomerangs with bair... It's not really helpful to us, it's just a way for us to not have to move from our spot. Bairing it really doesn't give us any kind of advantage or rewards.

What Kirby is gonna do in the MU against TL:

Punish landings
Use tilts
Powershield
Spike with Dair

All I can say is to keep your spacing on point and don't let Kirby gain momentum for too long.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
up-b is a good punish for this sitation an I'm pretty sure Kirby has a hard time DIing out of tl's up-b.
...this has to be a troll...grounded up b is down right aweful, and SDI-ing it with any character is easy, and sometime its just a matter of holding shield.
As for kirby "SH airdodging" into TL, up smash would be a far better punish...or anything other than Fsmash and up b.

MJG

Smash Hero
...this has to be a troll...grounded up b is down right aweful, and SDI-ing it with any character is easy, and sometime its just a matter of holding shield.
As for kirby "SH airdodging" into TL, up smash would be a far better punish...or anything other than Fsmash and up b.
Up B is just another mix up...it isn't a move I have used in a long time though.

Wrap up any last thoughts kids.

Top Bottom