• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link combos

D

Deleted member

Utilt > utilt and bomb > pretty much anything are some popular and obvious ones. Sh zair > grab, uthrow > usmash (on a very few select characters, at low %s), and throw > dash attack are some combos I've found to often work, but I'm not sure if they're ever true combos. Utilt > bair or nair isn't a true combo, but I've found it to work depending on how the opponent reacts to getting utilted.

Anyone have any others? We need a good list of combos.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Not sure if TL has any 'true combos'. Utilt does combos into itself at very low percentages. If you're very close to opponent on the ground and you catch them w/ a 'rang or bomb you can almost always follow up with a Fair at mid-high percentages if you're quick enough... Recently I've been jumping over opponents who recover onto the stage low, and repeatedly throwing bombs down at them. I saw Yackabean doing this, I'd argue this is a combo because you're usually able to get 2 bombs throws on them before they grab the stage.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
There is also the usual bomb throw to Fair, rang return to any aerials or u smash, not sure if Zair to Nair still connects but yea.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
One combo I use that I use secretly is bomb, then jump over enemy, throw the bomb at the ground, and if it hits, do a down A to do a double move

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
really technical but he can do

- Return boomerang to arrow to bomb to any aerial or Up-Smash.
- Also he can do pretty good combos out of uptilt. So if you hit your opponent after a bomb with uptilt you can do 40% out of it, like uptilt 3-4x times and than follow up with upair. Its really good and works easy, but you have to learn how many times you can hit with uptilt.
- beside your opponent: bomb to fair, boomerang to fair but i also found something special like uptilt uptilt uptilt nair follow your opponent and footstool im immediately to dair!

Well need a lot of tests. =)

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
A combo that has always worked for me is to boomerang into grab, at the right angle, this has worked about 98% of the time for me, and its good when approaching and just getting damage built up

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
One combo that almost always work in any situation is sh zair > dash attack - is seems to do better than sh zair > nair for me

I should be making a post on an official toon link combo soon for everyone to use and build off of with the new patch

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
(TESTED ON A LINK)
Grab>Pummel>Up throw>Utilt(you can get around 4-5, which is 27%, but you can keep Utilting if you wait a few frames, they can be trapped in it and you can do 7 Utilts, and then a finisher, this is 44% damage, a high chance the opponent can just easily airdodge and escape, but not a high chance on heavy characters
Finishers for the combo:
Usmash
Uair
Dair(just for fun, you can spike them from the ground on the stage just to get extra damage, but the Uair is the best option)

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Up tilts can combo in nair, bair and uair depending on the character and percentage they are at

Dmil86

Smash Cadet
I recently have been playing around with the jump cancel dash bomb throw. It allows you to follow up very quickly with quite a few attacks because you don't loose your momentum from the bomb through.

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Basic Toon Link String combos:

Low percents: Bomb to grab / bomb to nair / bomb to dash/
Mid percents: Bomb to nair / bomb to dash/ maybe bomb to fair depending on percent
High percents/ bomb to nair/ bomb to fair

Mid to high percents: boomerang to fair

zair > grab > up throw > up tilt > up air
zair > grab >any throw
zair to dash
zair to nair

all these using jc bomb toss...

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Warning Received (Double Posting)
There is also the usual bomb throw to Fair, rang return to any aerials or u smash, not sure if Zair to Nair still connects but yea.
zair to nair connects still and zair to dash

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Basic Toon Link String combos:
Low percents: Bomb to grab / bomb to nair / bomb to dash/

When my opponent is at low percents I do: Throwing a bomb with a jump cancel throw (Glide tossing) and a up Smash. Its work very well for me. But after 45-50% this combo will not work anymore, so after this I'm doing a bomb to nair or bomb to fair.

Edit: A single Bomb glide tossing+ usmash do 17% at least!

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Throwing a bomb with a jump cancel glide (Glide tossing)
I hate to be picky, but glide tossing is getting a slide from cancelling the initial frames of a roll with an item throw. The term you're after is a JC throw, e.g. JC throw forwards to U-smash (or Hyphen Smash as the case may be).

I may as well post something substantial while I'm here though.

A lot of people think that Zair is no longer the all powerful combo starter that it was in Brawl. It's more difficult to do some things out of Zair due to only being able to buffer one input (e.g. Dash), and you are forced to deal with this due to the little bit of landing lag. But this doesn't make it any less of a combo starter; in fact, Zair is still an amazing combo tool thanks to added hitstun. The following is a list of things you can combo out of Zair. Note that you have to use Zair close up in some cases and it assumes that Zair is being used close to the ground.

Zair to Jab.
Zair to U-tilt
Zair to F-tilt
Zair to D-tilt (they can't be hit up too high by Zair though so it's character and percent dependant)
Zair to Dash Attack
Zair to U-smash
Zair to F-smash (Zair must be used at the very last moment)
Zair to D-smash (only useful on fast falling characters)
Zair to Nair (still very viable, you just have to get used to Nair's reduced range)
Zair to Bair (technically possible)
Zair to Fair (only on kill percents conveniently enough; the execution is tight)
Zair to Grounded Up-B
Zair to Grab (The exact percentage will depend on the character but the higher their percent the more chance they have of jumping to avoid it. Anyway, this works regardless of what the stupid combo counter says.)
Zair to Footstool (to Dair optional. Execution must be perfect and up close. Will work for aerial footstools and grounded footstools.)

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Sorry if this was mentioned, but I was missing with Toon Link a bit on For Glory and pulled some sickish "combos" using this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_9RbkdZTuw

D-tilt to Dair works like a charm. I might be able to get you some footage if you guys want it, but best I can do is a video captured by phone. :b but its easy to do so..

you guys should test this and tell me how it goes.

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
D-tilt to Dair works like a charm. I might be able to get you some footage if you guys want it, but best I can do is a video captured by phone. :b but its easy to do so..
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I find myself getting a lot of kills off of Zair to falling Fair on an opponent who is on the edge of the stage.

toonlink.png

Smash Rookie
NNID
HonorableGamer
I have a kill combo tip for Toon Link. At the time I've been playing as Toon Link, I discovered that his Utilt can actually combo with his Uair at some high percentages into a killmove (around 95%~110% depending on the other character's weight), you just need to use Utilt, time correctly on your mid-air jump and use Uair as quickly as possible. It really works for me, and what makes it even deadlier is that is actually a true combo, but is actually somewhat hard to pull it off, because it has to be at the percentages I stated before. If it is lower than that, it will still hit but it won't KO, but if it is higher than that, you wouldn't get to the correct distance because the other one is too far from the Uair. But when done correctly, it does great results, so go forth my Toon Link comrades!! :4tlink:

Zingman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zingman1278
Don't know how useful this is but I was messing around in training mode and got upair to upair true combo on lucario at 60%. Also this may already be known I just haven't seen it anywhere, if you short hop fair wait till just before you hit the ground and then up B you'll instantly up B on the ground.

Last edited:

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Throw a bomb high up into the sky
Set your enemy up for a grab. Once you have the grab, pummel until the right time to throw your enemy into the falling bomb. Does a decent 20%.
So if the enemy is under the bomb, Up throw. if the enemy is on the left or right, forward throw or back throw ."DO NOTE THAT FORWARD THROW HAS A DIFFERENT KNOCKBACK RATIO THAN BACK THROW"

This can also work with uptilts, setup the bomb. Do an uptilt and they should be caught in the falling bomb.
All moves can do this but I find grabs the easiest and most effective way of doing it.
Cheers.

iDaire

Smash Cadet
NNID
iDaire
"Toon Link"
"Combos"

The only existing combos Toon Link has are Utilt spam and some shifty stuff with Toon Link's footstools that can result in a longer chain than usual, but can still be broken out of by faster characters. The way you play Tink's neutral, you don't need many combos anyways. Most of the times, you'll just be doing two-hits in quick succession. The first would be a projectile, and the second would probably be an aerial.

EDIT: What most people are stating here in this thread are setups, not combos. Setups are not guaranteed, but will usually lead into some following attack or a situation in which the opponent loses stage control and/or receives damage. An example of this would be Tink's Dtilt. Whereas it doesn't have any guaranteed follow-ups, it leaves the opponent in a situation where they lose stage control and also back away from you, leaving you with the option to either follow after them or back up and proceed tossing projectiles at him.

Last edited:

joltekz

Smash Cadet
NNID
joltekz
I feel like tink has a lot of "fake" combos but not many true ones besides u tilt chains and bomb to fair.

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
A good low-mid percent combo is a JC bomb toss to RAR Nair, if you can hit both sides its an easy 20%

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I believe that JCGT at very low % can lead into forward smash as a true combo. And again at low %, pretty sure that U-Throw-Uair is also a true combo. I'd mention the kill confirm, but everybody knows that by now. I'm trying to think of others not said... Hm... Low-Miid percents thrown Bomb up, to up throw, to uair. (Basically Throw a bomb upwards, grab opponent, up throw, let them get hit by the bomb while you jump, and up-air. Down Tilt MAY trip, other wise it doesn't combo. That's some more.

TsarofToon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1306-6595-6677
I know some fancier combos (or, they look fancy to me. Then again, I can barely time a Instant Bomb Throw correctly, so what do I know?). Anyway, at 0%, and ONLY 0%, Throw bomb down, footstool, the immediately dair. The opponent is now locked, but will slide a bit away from you. You may be able to lock again with a arrow, but I never got it to work. So, run up to upsmash works, but if someone wants to test and see it PP Fsmash works, I would appreciated that. Otherwise, utilt>footstool>dair works OK, and can kill if done at ledge against a character with bad recovery.

Now for some actual Combos. Utilts>Usmash works wonderfully, and is even better against Fast Fallers and Heavys, just remember to put a bit of damage on Fast Fallers, cause they can land on the ground and shield the next one if they are too low %. Zair>Grab>U Throw> U Air isnt guaranteed, but still a good combo never the less. Zair can also lead to U Smash at higher percentages, and can be good for killing, but I found you have to hit your opponent when they are right in front of you with zair in able for you to have enough time to U Smash before they can tech it or jump away. Other than that, not really any other Zair or Grab Combos (Plz Sakurai, we need this. Give him a combo throw.l

Now, onto bombs. Early percents, Bomb> U Smash, Nair, Uair(If you are right above them and throw the bomb down) or Zair works, but Zair is a bit slow and U Smash should be saved for killing, so I find that Nair is the best option. At Mid percents, Bomb>Nair or Uair works, yet I still find Nair to be better. I like Using Uair for kills and when I go in from above. At high percents, Elevator combo (Boomerang>Bomb>Fair or UpB, for those who don't know) or Bomb>Uair and Fair.

Other than that, those are all the Combos I can do with him. I'm not really good with AT, so I stuck to stuff I knew from experience. I know it's all basic stuff, but hey I do it for those who want to get better step by step. Tell me if I missed any or just find Combos you know/ found as well. (Then again, it's all probably above my message, but still, I would like to know.)

Thanks!
-TsarofToon

Clintendo64

Smash Rookie
I really like messing with peoples minds as toon link, you can J.C. Glide Toss a bomb, then right away dash fair and grab it, then continue with whatever combos. Or you can double jab, then before you take the final third jab, GRAB, they always try to block or roll out, so all are covered by a grab. Another is if you bomb throw, then they block the bomb, you jump over while neutral air, then you can pivot bomb throw to up air on the ground. If you have any other fun combos like this, please let me know.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
an uncommon bomb confirm is short hopping over them and throwing it down then imediately dairing. you can do this over the ledge while still drifting back, so as to not suicide. it can catch many getups and kill at 40% against characters with not great recoveries. also if you throw the bomb closer to the end of the hop, and happen to miss, it will hit you and prevent the buffered dair from coming out. but it is true for a good range of percents and can be done with a full hop at higher ones. just something to mess around with at the least.

Last edited:

TsarofToon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1306-6595-6677
So, I recently found a cool combo. Yet it involves spin attack. I have no idea how easy it is to SDI out of the grounded and airiel versions, but they're interesting anyway.

Zair-> JC Spin Attack.
Nice early combo, but the Spin Attack has to be JCd, or you won't slide forward enough to hit.
Mid % UTilt-> Air Spin Attack
Yes. This works. Based on DI, this WILL be a true combo. All of these are.

Kill % Bomb-> Spin Attack
I perfer this over Fair if you have rage, due to Spin Attacks final hit having more BKB and a amazing amount of KBG.

Again, SDI is a factor. I have no idea how easy it is the SDI out of both versions.

Mix-Ups

Low %

Utilt->Utilt->Bair
Its not as damaging as doing more utilts, but your opponents won't expect you to do it, so free damage

Mid %

Uthrow-> Uair
Themy say Toon Link has no combo throw. They are correct. He has a mix up throw. A good amount of %, but you do stale a kill options, so don't rely on it much.

Style Points.
These combos are mostly footstool ones. Don't use them much, unless you want to be Zan and be really cool.

Low %
Utilt-> Footstool->Dair
If this is done quick enough, your opponent should be locked. Works better on heavys, cause they don't slide at far, making it easier for followups.

Bomb Throw down-> Footstool->Fair
A more reliable lock, but only works at 0%

That's it for now. Ill try and find more combos. See you later!

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Is downward thrown bomb into down air a true combo? I've tried it, and it seems like it will connect until over 200%, but the height you need to throw the bomb at will vary.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
You can shorthop at a person and throw it down to imediate dair (so the pop up of dair keeps you from landing) and it will combo for a long range. At higher percents you may need to double jump dair but then DI becomes an issue. Ive been trying to implement this more as it can kill as low as 30% on characters with bad recoveries if you read a get up option.
Ive found if you throw the bomb at the end of your jump you can buffer the dair but if you miss, the bomb expolsion saves you from an SD. And if you connect the dair, you can very reliably hold back toward the stage and land on stage getting a clean spike.
Also worth noting, most bomb dair combos can become bomb footstools if you are not sure it will connect and want a gimp/positioning.

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
You can shorthop at a person and throw it down to imediate dair (so the pop up of dair keeps you from landing) and it will combo for a long range. At higher percents you may need to double jump dair but then DI becomes an issue. Ive been trying to implement this more as it can kill as low as 30% on characters with bad recoveries if you read a get up option.
Ive found if you throw the bomb at the end of your jump you can buffer the dair but if you miss, the bomb expolsion saves you from an SD. And if you connect the dair, you can very reliably hold back toward the stage and land on stage getting a clean spike.
Also worth noting, most bomb dair combos can become bomb footstools if you are not sure it will connect and want a gimp/positioning.
Thanks. I've been able to connect it in battle at low percents. It's a nice 16-20% right off the bat. Then I can proceed to continue destroying my friends.

Hmm. Looks like you can lead into all five aerials as well as Spin Attack for a true combo. Bomb into Spin Attack works until well over 250%.

Last edited:

Optimistic Ori

Smash Rookie
I didnt see this combo posted, but I also was excited and didnt really look too long even though there's only one page. Its kinda situational and you gotta predict a bit, but it looks awesome even as a finisher. (It killed DK around 150 which I think is pretty early for a heavy character like him)

-Throw a boomerang as your opponent is recovering to the stage or has latched onto the ledge, it should connect close enough to do your second strike on the F smash
-Fire an arrow before the boomerang makes contact so it makes them flinch into the boomerang and the get ping ponged into you
-Forward smash

I hope I made sense, I dont explain things very well (even when I know what I'm talking about)
Heres a little clip so you have an idea of what it should look like and maybe the timing.

Top Bottom