• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Tool] Frames of Hitlag & Shieldstun based on Damage and Stale Move Queue v1.3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Microsoft Excel
Open Office
Google Docs for anything else

So essentially I was annoyed that I couldn't calculate shieldstun in my head, despite knowing the formula, while mental hitlag calculation was fairly easy so I made them both easy. I started off making this for my own use but decided to make it public since there's no harm in sharing the tool.

Probably the most interesting and I guess "innovative" part of the spreadsheet is the inclusion of 9 Stale Move Queue slots, replicating the slots the game uses to determine stale moves. The slots have different weights, with the most recent slot having a value of 0.09, second most recent 0.08, ...., slot 9 0.01. For example, if you used Knee most recently and 3rd most recently, but no where else in the queue, you'd get 0.09 + 0.07 = 0.16 = 0.84x damage, rounded down of course.

Keeping in mind that because knockback is calculated based on the damage of the victim after the hit is added to their % amount, stale moves can indeed effect knockback, making combos very dynamic and varied even against the same character at the same percentage. This ingenious and fairly complex mechanic is, in my opinion, one of the dozens of mechanics that make this game still enjoyable today.

Credits to:
Strong Bad for Spreadsheet and extensive testing
Magus420 for all formulas
standardtoaster for testing

Changelog:

v1.3
-Added Crouch Canceling support (multiplies victim hitlag by 2/3)
-Consolidated Stale move Queue to be more compact.
-General formatting
-Renamed filename from "Shieldsutn" to "Shieldstun." Why didn't anyone tell me? ):

v1.2
-Fixed an error in shield frame advantage; electric hitlag frame advantage doesn't apply to shields.

v1.1
-Fixed an error in the staled damage calculation.

v1.0
-Initial build. Had a few errors, but explained the concept well.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I like the use of Google Docs to illustrate this concept. Unfortunately, it seems that with Google Docs you must allow either anyone to edit the spreadsheet or nobody at all (except yourself) to edit the spreadsheet. Which means it's all or nothing in terms of letting people take advantage of the hitlag/shieldstun calculator, and also letting anyone with the link mess the whole page up with an accidental editing of an important cell.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
File -> Download As?
I'll mediafire up some different filetypes in a sec.

EDIT: Done. Thank you LOL

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Thanks for the mediafire links. Whenever I download from Google Docs, the formulas are lost. Maybe this is a result of my outdated Microsoft Office =\

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My vision:
[collapse=Amazing]
Input
your char (dropdown)
move (dropdown)
hitbox id (dropdown)
opponent (dropdown)
opponent's damage (normal input)
stale moves queue (as it is in my other spreadsheets)

Output
shieldstun
normal: launch speed, hitstun, hitlag
crouch cancel: launch speed, hitstun, hitlag[/collapse]
I already have a spreadsheet that calculates hitstun but it is sometimes off by a frame sometimes due to rounding and stuff so I still have to fix it.

Just a quick glimpse of what's to come! It's a huge undertaking (inputting knockback values for so many damn moves ;_;) but I kinda feel like doing it. In the meantime, have fun with the Hitlag & Shieldstun calculator :p

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Thats interesting. Id def make some use of this for my thread. I may have some questions or be willing to help with labor or something, but Ill get back to you after I actually get a chance to look at the data.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Massive failure LOL.
should have been
=(1-SUM(A2:I2))*Calculations!C4

Fixed.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
o_O
-snip-
I WILL work on it, there are a few things left to ascertain regarding Weight Dependent Set KB and I'll have to talk to James about it. If it doesn't happen I'll refund.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Last edited 210 days ago"
Wellllll okay then
Updated with the following changes:
-Added Crouch Canceling support (multiplies victim hitlag by 2/3)
-Consolidated Stale move Queue to be more compact.
-General formatting
-Renamed filename from "Shieldsutn" to "Shieldstun." Why didn't anyone tell me? ):

More importantly, check this **** out.
Not sure I'll be updating this again.

Top Bottom