• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too young to play smash competitively?

TornFlame

Smash Rookie
As I look around and explore the smash community more and more everyday, it comes to my attention that there are barely any people in the community my age. I am 13 years old, and I started playing smash competitively about 3 months ago. Am I too young to be playing smash bros competitively? Nairo placed in tournaments when he was 14. and mango would place when he was 15. When ever I come in contact with someone in the community I get to nervous to talk to them, but when I play I am eager and I just want to win. What age were you when you started playing smash competitively?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No, you're at the perfect age to start. Just don't expect to be winning or placing straight away.

The only problem is that when you tell a younger player it might take a year or two to get really good, it feels like forever to them, but trust me, it really isn't.

TornFlame

Smash Rookie
No, you're at the perfect age to start. Just don't expect to be winning or placing straight away.

The only problem is that when you tell a younger player it might take a year or two to get really good, it feels like forever to them, but trust me, it really isn't.
Thanks! I am willing to wait and train for a long time in order for myself to become good, and knowing that I am not to young is really reassuring.

Demofishan

Smash Rookie
i am also 13 but i am worried that because i am 13 it will effect my enjoyment to going these tournaments(I am shy).i am an okay player. won my first tournament recently with marth for smash wii u. what should i do?

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
i am also 13 but i am worried that because i am 13 it will effect my enjoyment to going these tournaments(I am shy).i am an okay player. won my first tournament recently with marth for smash wii u. what should i do?
Smashers are used to shy people (a lot of people who play videogames tend to be shy), you'll be okay and the community is really quite welcoming. If anything you'll find yourself coming out of your shell the more you attend and play.

Josh/QCF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Josh91198
3DS FC
1134-8487-7934
I'm 16 and only recently got into playing smash semi-competitively as well, been playing melee since it came out though, also pretty shy and have never attended any kind of tournment

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Like Teran said, don't expect to win immediately. I know it's not Smash, but TTC Noah in the MVC3 scene is something to marvel(curse my puns) as a young player who can go toe to toe with older people. Look him up sometime.

Josh/QCF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Josh91198
3DS FC
1134-8487-7934
Like Teran said, don't expect to win immediately. I know it's not Smash, but TTC Noah in the MVC3 scene is something to marvel(curse my puns) as a young player who can go toe to toe with older people. Look him up sometime.
Damn, I remember seeing that when it happened, i play Marvel as well but also not that good a player. Also i liked your pun haha

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
For the OP:

Keep in mind, this is a 10 (maybe 11 but i dunno) year old in an environment dominated by adults. You just have to slowly build skill.

Damn, I remember seeing that when it happened, i play Marvel as well but also not that good a player. Also i liked your pun haha
:)

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Sounds like you have more of a problem with social anxiety than anything. Honestly man, I'm the exact same way in situations, when I am at all uncomfortable or anything I am extremely quiet. If I'm in a tournament alone without my squad with me, I'm not the same person, I will not say anything at all besides what I need to.

To help with this sort of thing I just remember that people aren't there to judge, they're there to play smash, and if I'm not making a huge scene people won't notice me. But just try to find some friends and go with them to tournaments. Meet people at tournaments, it's sorta like a party thing where you go to one and you just go to tons.

But yeah I see young kids at tournaments all the time, it's not unusual. Nobody really cares as long as you're not annoying everyone, which is hard to do.

On the note of playing competitively, you can be good no matter what age you are, like it's not something like 16+ only because everyone younger sucks. It's just if it interests you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it.

Last edited:

Alienz_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dman10063
3DS FC
2122-8341-7625
Even though you are only 13, as many other said in this thread, that is a good age to start. I'm (very) far from being a good competitive player, but if you (again, as others in this thread said) take your time and practice, I don't see why you can't become a good competitive player over time. If you do continue playing competitvely, I wish you luck.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm 22 and I get curbstomped by my younger brother on a regular basis. Age is no indication of skill, merely a representation of how much entropy your body has currently sustained.

If you feel confident and you have the right mindset for it, then by all means, go ahead. If anything, it's better for you if you start young and develop a good mentality and skillset for the game. You can only improve and develop further from here on in. Having the guts to ask in the first place is a solid first step and is something to be admired for its own sake.

Josh/QCF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Josh91198
3DS FC
1134-8487-7934
Sounds like you have more of a problem with social anxiety than anything. Honestly man, I'm the exact same way in situations, when I am at all uncomfortable or anything I am extremely quiet. If I'm in a tournament alone without my squad with me, I'm not the same person, I will not say anything at all besides what I need to.

To help with this sort of thing I just remember that people aren't there to judge, they're there to play smash, and if I'm not making a huge scene people won't notice me. But just try to find some friends and go with them to tournaments. Meet people at tournaments, it's sorta like a party thing where you go to one and you just go to tons.

But yeah I see young kids at tournaments all the time, it's not unusual. Nobody really cares as long as you're not annoying everyone, which is hard to do.

On the note of playing competitively, you can be good no matter what age you are, like it's not something like 16+ only because everyone younger sucks. It's just if it interests you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it.
Thanks for the advice, I would go to tournaments but I live in really really deep south texas so there arent many tournaments here (that i know of) haha

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice, I would go to tournaments but I live in really really deep south texas so there arent many tournaments here (that i know of) haha
Btw dude I'm 16 too and I have never thought I was too young to go to these things.

Last edited:

Josh/QCF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Josh91198
3DS FC
1134-8487-7934
There's just no tournaments where I live.
I'm gonna enter in some online tournaments once thats available.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I think ken started smash when he was around 14, and im 14
(but im not ken so ****)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wasn't Noah, like, eight when he was playing MvC3?
I went by his YouTube channel, which said 10. I didn't follow the MVC3 scene until late in its life cycle, so I could very well be wrong. But still, the dude's young.

Demofishan

Smash Rookie
I also ran in to more problems that I thought of .I am from Australia so I can't play project M and this also means that melee (brawl?) is different, which can effect me if I go play other players from different countries.even after that More problems start popping up.such as because of were I live,as there isn't much tournaments(like once a year) here and if I do I have to take the bus which my parents doesn't like me going to places(parents are busy with work so they can't take me).
Even though I have been to one tournament which had about people around the same age has me and not really that great at the game, I feel like it would be awkward to have older people to be around me.
Even after that I don't have money to buy the game that i need to get good with, which are melee and smash 4.The only smash game I have is brawl which is pretty much dead (no hate).Should I just wait until I am older and don't give up?

Last edited:

Taunt

Smash Rookie
It's never too early to start, just like it's never too late to start. Kudos for you for deciding to start early!

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I am 14 years old and i have been getting into compeitive smash recently and i am planning to go to my first tournament this sunday if my new white controller ever comes lol, but 13 is the perfect age to start. Teran is right don't expect to win for the first tournament the same will likely happen to me but if you practice and like the others said take your time you should become a really good player. Good luck!

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
One of my friends is the same age as you and she's gone to many tournaments. Age really doesn't matter. Just keep playing and practicing ^^

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
I'm 13 and I had the exact same problem!!! It's all in your head and you just need to go some local ones and get the hang of it. I went to my first and got JV4 stocked in Smash 4 twice in a row but I got better by training and actually won a set. Just practice and you got it:awesome:!!

brownzombie

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrownZombie
I really want to go to a tournament for smash 4 bc it's the only one I play consistently. Age is irrelevant to how good you are, just practice. Honestly just trying to get into the scene and make some kind of a name for myself.

Top Bottom