• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook For Smash Bros. Ultimate: Double Final Smash Duty (New Horizons Avaiable Now!!)

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
One wrong character and Sakurai's work is undone, lol. Ridley, K Rool, Simon, and a generous amount of fanservice echo fighters are all cast aside because of Isabelle. I'm a little taken aback that some people are so far up their own ass, all it takes is one character to ruin the game for them.

Speaking to the reasonable crowd, I wouldn't mind seeing Nook, clearly his chances aren't strong this time but he really did deserve it before Isabelle. I'm really sorry Nook fans. SMB3 Tanuki Nook would be so much fun.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
One wrong character and Sakurai's work is undone, lol. Ridley, K Rool, Simon, and a generous amount of fanservice echo fighters are all cast aside because of Isabelle. I'm a little taken aback that some people are so far up their own ***, all it takes is one character to ruin the game for them.

Speaking to the reasonable crowd, I wouldn't mind seeing Nook, clearly his chances aren't strong this time but he really did deserve it before Isabelle. I'm really sorry Nook fans. SMB3 Tanuki Nook would be so much fun.
I totally feel you on this. It's funny how quickly humans take the new normal for granted and then get greedy for more.

Back in February people were expecting this game to be, at best, a Wii U port plus squidlings and maybe a new stage or two.

Instead we're getting every veteran, highly requested picks like Ridley and K. Rool and the echoes, and even the fricking Belmonts with an awesome stage and music. Oh, and twice as many stages as any previous game. And probably a new single player mode.

But the casual Smash fans aren't allowed to have Isabelle, the icon of one of Nintendo's most popular series? Come on, people.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I totally feel you on this. It's funny how quickly humans take the new normal for granted and then get greedy for more.

Back in February people were expecting this game to be, at best, a Wii U port plus squidlings and maybe a new stage or two.

Instead we're getting every veteran, highly requested picks like Ridley and K. Rool and the echoes, and even the fricking Belmonts with an awesome stage and music. Oh, and twice as many stages as any previous game. And probably a new single player mode.

But the casual Smash fans aren't allowed to have Isabelle, the icon of one of Nintendo's most popular series? Come on, people.
This. We’re so quick to look into patterns. Before E3 everyone was expecting the same Sm4sh style of character selection, where it’s advertising/promotion picks that carry the most weight. After E3, we started wondering whether the game was going to be fanservice focused, something that was confirmed in the 8.8 Direct. But now we get a reveal that wasn’t the most wanted, supported since Brawl, underdog type of reveal and suddenly we’re back to Sm4sh? Bull****.

Every single newcomer for this game has been highly demanded. That includes Inkling, and Daisy, and Dark Samus, and Chrom, and Simon, and yes, Isabelle too (sorry Richter but you’re really the outlier). There is no broken pattern, there is no dream lost. This is the Ultimate Smash.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What the hell was that transition from Isabelle to Tom Nook, I thought he was gonna be confirmed for Smash, but he was announcing Animal Crossing Switch. I feel so deceived. ;_;

Is it a hint, or am I in denial?
It's okay, I'll be in denial with you.

I'm happy for Isabelle, her fans are kinda getting on my nerves, acting like no one supported her before now (I was there the whole time but whatever), but seriously I'm super happy she's in. This saltiness doesn't look good on us. I still think Nook deserves it, and if Toon Link can break out of his conductor role to fight, I don't see why Nook can't break out of his final Smash role to fight as well.

I say let's keep supporting.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Tom Nook really feels like the "Chrom" of this game. In fact watching the trailer it felt like the same thing, with Chrom saying, "Maybe I'll get my chance another day" back in the old Robin trailer.

LOL, wouldn't be surprised if Tom Nook gets added in DLC as an echo of Isabelle.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I thought it was very sweet that the trailer made it look like Nook was personally developing AC Switch. I like how they've been really trying to combat the false sense of him being antagonistic by having him behave more and more like a goodhearted guy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I thought it was very sweet that the trailer made it look like Nook was personally developing AC Switch. I like how they've been really trying to combat the false sense of him being antagonistic by having him behave more and more like a goodhearted guy.
I always enjoyed the mob boss vibe that Nook used to give off, and I'm disappointed that he's like this now, but to each their own.

The first AC he seemed to have a hand in everything, and his confidence was just gangster. It was also funny when you put in that cheat code, he dropped you like 30,000 bells and was just like "I see, I see. Here you go and have a nice day". Defintely seemed like he was a shady character back then lmao.

Now he's just a helpful real estate agent that's left his kids his business. All the villagers talk nice about him, its just different. At the very least, I want Cooper to bea little more reserved about Nook. He seems like someone not easily bought off

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I always enjoyed the mob boss vibe that Nook used to give off, and I'm disappointed that he's like this now, but to each their own.

The first AC he seemed to have a hand in everything, and his confidence was just gangster. It was also funny when you put in that cheat code, he dropped you like 30,000 bells and was just like "I see, I see. Here you go and have a nice day". Defintely seemed like he was a shady character back then lmao.

Now he's just a helpful real estate agent, that's left his kids his business. All the villagers talk nice about him, its just different. At the very least, I want Cooper to bea little more reserved about Nook. He seems like someone not easily bought off
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Don Nook concept too (heck, my username is a direct reference to it).

I just never liked how hated he became from it. Back in the Brawl days, I remember people referring to him as the villain of the series. It's nice to see Nintendo care enough about the character to try and change the perception of him.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Don Nook concept too (heck, my username is a direct reference to it).

I just never liked how hated he became from it. Back in the Brawl days, I remember people referring to him as the villain of the series. It's nice to see Nintendo care enough about the character to try and change the perception of him.
I see you, I always said he was the "villain" of the series because he's the only one that really creates any conflict in AC, but it was really more of a joke than anything seeing that the conflict is you paying off bills lmao

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Must admit, Tom Nook feels like the new Chrom

Maybe he'll get his chance another day

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Must admit, Tom Nook feels like the new Chrom

Maybe he'll get his chance another day
It's weird it feels like he's been teased as a clone twice, but I'm willing to guess he's coming up short again

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just found this tweet:

Man, I didn't even know Cole wanted Tom Nook that badly.

Last edited:

Judd

Smash Rookie
think Tom Nooks likelihood of getting in Smash in general is higher than it was before Ultimate. (under the assumption this isn't the last Smash)

1. Tom Nooks main competition was added. Isabelle. If there is going to be a new Smash game in the future, Tom Nook faces way less competition than he did this time. Only obstacles I can think of are K. K and a potential new AC 2019 character.

2. The arrival of Echo Fighters allows us to get way more characters than we would without them. I believe that Nook is one of those characters that clearly wouldn't make the cut without echo fighters, but is important enough to be represented in the game (just like Chrom and Dark Samus). But there was another obstacle in Tom's way. People expected Isabelle to take up the Echo Fighter spot. But:

3. Isabelle was added as a unique character. Considering that every character only got one echo fighter so far, Isabelle being unique is a huge boon. As of now, Animal Crossings echo fighter slot isn't reserved so far. Him being in both AC Final Smashes drastically reduces the likelihood of being added to Ultimate, but as long as Sakurai doesn't introduce a different Echo Fighter, I would put my bet on Nook

Dan

Smash Lord
I still wouldn't discount the possibility of him being an Echo; that was part of my dream this morning, along with Mach Rider being revealed.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Tom Nook shouldn't be an echo. I know its selfish, but I'd be upset if he showed up as one

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’m still waiting for Tom Nook to join Smash (probably will for a while now) and after Isabelle’s reveal, seeing Tom Nook, I thought he was about to come collect that debt like this :laugh:

EF296149-2733-4F3B-9262-E20B2B125E9F.png

Honestly though, even though I thought he was kind of a jerk in the original Gamecube game, I couldn’t really stay mad at him because raccoons are some of my favorite animals and I liked the design of his character, same goes for K.K. Slider. :)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Been thinking about Tom Nook's moveset, if you aren't interested in moveset ideas you should stop here lmao
I think Nook has some interesting things he can work with, moreso than any other AC character, so I came up with some ideas.

Special Abilities:

Running Glide: From a running start, if you hold the jump button Nook will steadily rise up for a duration of 3 seconds. He can cancel it by attacking or double humping out of it.

Glide: Nook can also slow his fall by holding his double jump after the jump animation is completed.

Bell Bribery: Nook has multiple attacks that make use of his game's currency. If a coin hits his opponent, their next attack's damage and knockback will be halved. This effect only lasts for a limited amount of time (normally 3 seconds)

Specials:

Neutral Special: Exchange
Nook grabs whatever projectile is thrown at him, pockets it, and exchanges it it for bells. The stronger the projectile, the more bells get thrown back. The bells will skip along the ground until falling offstage or hitting the opponent.

If the opponent is hit, their attacks power will be halved. The more bells that hit them will determine how long the effect lasts.

Side Special: Market Crash
Tom Nook will sit down, and read the paper; as he does, a large black arrow will appear in front of him and slowly ascends diagonally the longer you hold the attack. The arrow does not have a hitbox when it is black. When let go, the arrow turns red, and quickly descends diagonally.

The attack has incredible range, and hits hard, but is hard to control, and has slow start up. It also doesn't work in the air

Down Special: Tanooki Statue
Nook turns into a golden statue, and plummets straight down. The physical statue works similarly to Kirby's down special when used in the air, only it cannot be cancelled until hitting the ground. If done on the ground, the statue can slowly hop forward, and tank attacks.

An additional effect this attack will have is coins will pop out as he plummets or every time he hops around. Each coin that hits will once again "bribe" the opponent to hit half as hard for the next 3 seconds.

Up Special: Tanooki Spin
This attack is simpler than the others, Nook will spin around, and get a small boost. He can do this up to 5 times. This attack can reflect projectiles.

Other attack ideas:

Debt (forward Smash): Nook holds out a piece of paper in front of him, if the paper makes contact with the opponent, a house will drop on top of them crushing them in debt.

This attack works a little differently than other Smash attacks. The paper comes out almost immediately, and the longer the attack is charged the longer Nook holds it out. It can be held out indefinitely, but the attack never becomes more powerful (tbf it's already really strong). The downside is it takes a bit for Nook to put it away.

Sale (up smash): Nook tosses up a leaf in the air, once the leaf makes contact with the ground, it turns into a piece of furniture. The longer the attack is held, the higher the leaf is thrown up, and the larger the furniture that comes out.

The leaf falls to the ground slowly, and Nook can move immediately after it's thrown.

The leaf is technically a projectile, but can't do any harm to Nook if reflected in his direction.

Dan

Smash Lord
Honestly though, even though I thought he was kind of a jerk in the original Gamecube game, I couldn’t really stay mad at him because raccoons are some of my favorite animals and I liked the design of his character, same goes for K.K. Slider. :)
I've only ever tried Animal Crossing, but always wanted Nook and Slider just cause they look cool; naturally, the characters they chose (Isabelle and Villager) are bleh.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I've only ever tried Animal Crossing, but always wanted Nook and Slider just cause they look cool; naturally, the characters they chose (Isabelle and Villager) are bleh.
I definitely agree, they are my top two favorites of the Animal Crossing series. :grin:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Been thinking about Tom Nook's moveset, if you aren't interested in moveset ideas you should stop here lmao
I think Nook has some interesting things he can work with, moreso than any other AC character, so I came up with some ideas.

Special Abilities:

Running Glide: From a running start, if you hold the jump button Nook will steadily rise up for a duration of 3 seconds. He can cancel it by attacking or double humping out of it.

Glide: Nook can also slow his fall by holding his double jump after the jump animation is completed.

Bell Bribery: Nook has multiple attacks that make use of his game's currency. If a coin hits his opponent, their next attack's damage and knockback will be halved. This effect only lasts for a limited amount of time (normally 3 seconds)

Specials:

Nook grabs whatever projectile is thrown at him, pockets it, and exchanges it it for bells. The stronger the projectile, the more bells get thrown back. The bells will skip along the ground until falling offstage or hitting the opponent.

If the opponent is hit, their attacks power will be halved. The more bells that hit them will determine how long the effect lasts.

Tom Nook will sit down, and read the paper; as he does, a large black arrow will appear in front of him and slowly ascends diagonally the longer you hold the attack. The arrow does not have a hitbox when it is black. When let go, the arrow turns red, and quickly descends diagonally.

The attack has incredible range, and hits hard, but is hard to control, and has slow start up. It also doesn't work in the air

Nook turns into a golden statue, and plummets straight down. The physical statue works similarly to Kirby's down special when used in the air, only it cannot be cancelled until hitting the ground. If done on the ground, the statue can slowly hop forward, and tank attacks.

An additional effect this attack will have is coins will pop out as he plummets or every time he hops around. Each coin that hits will once again "bribe" the opponent to hit half as hard for the next 3 seconds.

This attack is simpler than the others, Nook will spin around, and get a small boost. He can do this up to 5 times. This attack can reflect projectiles.

Other attack ideas:

Debt (forward Smash): Nook holds out a piece of paper in front of him, if the paper makes contact with the opponent, a house will drop on top of them crushing them in debt.

This attack works a little differently than other Smash attacks. The paper comes out almost immediately, and the longer the attack is charged the longer Nook holds it out. It can be held out indefinitely, but the attack never becomes more powerful (tbf it's already really strong). The downside is it takes a bit for Nook to put it away.

Sale (up smash): Nook tosses up a leaf in the air, once the leaf makes contact with the ground, it turns into a piece of furniture. The longer the attack is held, the higher the leaf is thrown up, and the larger the furniture that comes out.

The leaf falls to the ground slowly, and Nook can move immediately after it's thrown.

The leaf is technically a projectile, but can't do any harm to Nook if reflected in his direction.
Very good! Honestly, and this is really controversial I know, but I would have much rather had Nook instead of Villager in addition to Isabelle. I do still like Villager though, hopefully either Nook can can make it in as a surprise echo or in an eventual smash game in the future.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Very good! Honestly, and this is really controversial I know, but I would have much rather had Nook instead of Villager in addition to Isabelle. I do still like Villager though, hopefully either Nook can can make it in as a surprise echo or in an eventual smash game in the future.
I think AC should have 3 or 4 characters, and NONE of them should be Villager lmao

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I think AC should have 3 or 4 characters, and NONE of them should be Villager lmao
I personally am not the biggest fan of the series, but from what I can tell, going off of that approach, I’d have Nook, Isabelle, KK Slider, and Resetti. Although, I can understand why they put Villager, as Smash does always put in the playable protagonist before anyone else

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I personally am not the biggest fan of the series, but from what I can tell, going off of that approach, I’d have Nook, Isabelle, KK Slider, and Resetti. Although, I can understand why they put Villager, as Smash does always put in the playable protagonist before anyone else
Yup those are the 4. I get why they went with Villager too, but AC is kinda unique in that the protagonist has never been the character that attract people to the series. Nook, KK, Resetti, and Isabelle are all memorable characters that are bigger selling points of the series, and I would've rather seen them. All that being said, Villager is fine too

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yup those are the 4. I get why they went with Villager too, but AC is kinda unique in that the protagonist has never been the character that attract people to the series. Nook, KK, Resetti, and Isabelle are all memorable characters that are bigger selling points of the series, and I would've rather seen them. All that being said, Villager is fine too
I agree, overall I’m just glad to have AC characters because I like the cutesy art-style in comparison to realistic characters like Snake and Cloud or actual murderous purple dragons, they exemplify the contrast that Smash provides, which I love

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Off topic but I recently looked up what "carouse" meant. All I gotta say is hoho

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I support Tom Nook!

But if we get him in, I don't want him looking all tired and sluggish. He's got be fast, energetic, and bloodthirsty.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
What did I just walk into...

But nice movset

Laniv

Smash Lord

Special Abilities:

Specials:

Other attack ideas:

Whoa, this is nice!! Mind if I add this to the OP?

Judd

Smash Rookie
I really think that AC is the most deserving series of getting a third character. One can't deny that AC easily is one of the Top 10 Nintendo franchises right now. I would even argue that it already surpassed Star Fox, Yoshi, Kirby and DK within the last few years.

To me, Tom Nook is a bigger face to the series than K.K is, and getting K. K added would be the death blow to Nook's likelihood of making the cut

I know that many people believe that Isabelle is super cute, but I think that Tom Nook is cuter than her.

I always imagined that one of Tom's moves would be holding a contract in front of you. After a short amount of time, he punches through the piece of paper right info your face

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
K.K. Slider wouldn't impede Tom Nook if he got in as the third AC character.

If he was chosen over him, it would probably be because he though K.K. had more moveset potential and/or bigger ballot popularity out of all Animal Crossing's iconic candidates.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I like KK a lot, but he has no chance in hell to make it over Nook. Even if he did, I wouldnt see it as a bad thing, just a good thing. KK is cool, plus at that point AC would seem to be on the menu, so to speak. Who knows where they stop after that

Top Bottom