• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook For Smash Bros. Ultimate: Double Final Smash Duty (New Horizons Avaiable Now!!)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
He was already shown to be in Villager's Final Smash. Tom Nook is pretty much deconfirmed. Though when they showed him I had forgotten that aspect and thought he'd be Isabelle's echo.
My reaction was pretty much the same, only instead of being happy because he got in, I dreaded the backlash AC would get. Smash speculation has its cons.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Oof, that Nook part gave me a mini-heart attack...

But you know, I'm actually pretty happy with this direct. Isabelle is playable (as a Falco-esque semi clone!) and we got a new Animal Crossing on the way!

So I can't be too torn up about this.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That Tom Nook reminded me a lot of the Dark Pit tease at the end of Palutena’s trailer. And Chrom’s little bit at the end of Robin’s trailer to a lesser extent. I don’t know, I think it’s very possible he’ll be added as an echo.

The Final Smash thing makes it a little iffy. Especially if he’s in two character’s final smashes...who knows? Very interesting indeed.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That tease with Tom Nook made me hate Isabelle even more. For so long he was top dog in animal crossing, only to get passed over by some literal poodle who by some miracle got into smash as a unique fighter? Things like that cut deep. Sakurai had better have a few good tricks left up his sleeve if they want to recover from that.

Dan

Smash Lord
That Tom Nook reminded me a lot of the Dark Pit tease at the end of Palutena’s trailer. And Chrom’s little bit at the end of Robin’s trailer to a lesser extent. I don’t know, I think it’s very possible he’ll be added as an echo.

The Final Smash thing makes it a little iffy. Especially if he’s in two character’s final smashes...who knows? Very interesting indeed.
This comment needs to be pinned at the top of Smashboards; it's also like when G&W appeared in Pac-Man's trailer. People are going to sleep on this.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's really strange.

Apparently Toad cannot be in both Peach's and Daisy's movesets so we get Toad for Peach and Blue Toad for Daisy.

Yet... Tom Nook and Timmy & Tommy can be part of both Villager's and Isabelle's Final Smashes?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
It's really strange.

Apparently Toad cannot be in both Peach's and Daisy's movesets so we get Toad for Peach and Blue Toad for Daisy.

Yet... Tom Nook and Timmy & Tommy can be part of both Villager's and Isabelle's Final Smashes?
Tom Nook’s a very busy guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he shows up as playable while being in both of the others final smashes.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
This comment needs to be pinned at the top of Smashboards; it's also like when G&W appeared in Pac-Man's trailer. People are going to sleep on this.
Agreed. Pretty much everyone was sleeping on DP. And then the ESRB leak came and people were so blindsighted, specifically by Dark Pit, who was pretty clearly hinted at. I’m pretty hopeful the Nook quite honestly. He would certainly be an easy DLC echo, assuming we’ll be getting a good amount of those
It's really strange.

That’s interesting. I didn’t think about that. Very odd. I definitely wish Isabelle at least had a unique final smash, because in my opinion, doubling up on the Tom Nook FS is really strange.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That tease with Tom Nook made me hate Isabelle even more. For so long he was top dog in animal crossing, only to get passed over by some literal poodle who by some miracle got into smash as a unique fighter? Things like that cut deep. Sakurai had better have a few good tricks left up his sleeve if they want to recover from that.
I agree. I was hoping for a Tom Nook costume or echo.

Damn Isabelle

Dan

Smash Lord
Agreed. Pretty much everyone was sleeping on DP. And then the ESRB leak came and people were so blindsighted, specifically by Dark Pit, who was pretty clearly hinted at. I’m pretty hopeful the Nook quite honestly. He would certainly be an easy DLC echo, assuming we’ll be getting a good amount of those
Sakurai also tweeted this picture at the beginning of Sm4sh:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
"Sakurai didn't add the charcter that I specifically wanted so that means all of his work is invalidated and he needs to redeem himself"

I thought people said Waluigi fans were the toxic ungrateful ones?

Dan

Smash Lord
My condolences for Tom Nook fans.
Or he could be a tease, like how Dark Pit was teased at the end of Palutena's trailer.

"Sakurai didn't add the charcter that I specifically wanted so that means all of his work is invalidated and he needs to redeem himself"

I thought people said Waluigi fans were the toxic ungrateful ones?
So we should force ourselves to like things that we don't? It's not okay to have an opinion? Sending the man death threats over Waluigi is one thing, but this is not that.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So we should force ourselves to like things that we don't? It's not okay to have an opinion? Sending the man death threats over Waluigi is one thing, but this is not that.
Agreed. This is just us voicing our opinions on the fact that to us, Isabelle wasn’t hype enough to live up to the name of the game.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Or he could be a tease, like how Dark Pit was teased at the end of Palutena's trailer.

Hey buddy, how about you stop circlejerking and spreading a LIES to defend a salty supporter of someone you like. If you take 3 seconds to google it, you will find that NO death threats were ever sent to Sakurai. I DARE you to find me proof that this occurred. What actually happend was 2 children sent Sakurai a photoshopped 9/11 meme, to which Sakurai promptly blocked them. Then, a fool name Wonder Havoc took these tweets and pushed the narrative that the entire Waluigi fambase was doing this, and of course, fools like you believed it.

I respect your feelings about Nooks deconfirmation, I know it can be rough. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and been so harsh. But you lying to try to delegitimize me is unacceptable, and you got called out for it.

Agreed. This is just us voicing our opinions on the fact that to us, Isabelle wasn’t hype enough to live up to the name of the game.
I know, my bad. I remember watching my two most wanted characters get disconfirmed within 5 minutes from each other, I was really disappointed too. I apologize.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Yee; my whole issue is this is the ballot game and you're gonna make this character unique? RIP Banjo, Dixie or someone like that; this is one of Sakurai's old tricks: he'll never change.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I was disappointed for Waluigi, Knuckles, Krystal, Ashley, Tom Nook, and even Lyn, and seeing Isabelle get unique status feels like a slap in the face to me as a Dixie and Shantae fan, seeing as they now both have much lower chances.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I respect your feelings about Nooks deconfirmation, I know it can be rough. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and been so harsh. But you lying to try to delegitimize me is unacceptable, and you got called out for it.
Nook appeared in an Animal Crossing Switch trailer = deconfirmed?

And I'm not a heavy Tom Nook supporter; I was just pointing out this is exactly what happened with Dark Pit. Who's to say next trailer he won't be sitting in that office again and'll get the invitation as an Echo?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord

And I'm not a heavy Tom Nook supporter; I was just pointing out this is exactly what happened with Dark Pit. Who's to say next trailer he won't be sitting in that office again and'll get the invitation as an Echo?
Sakurai wouldn’t use that same trick twice, as shown by Isabelle being unique. It would be too obvious for him in his last big Smash.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Yee; my whole issue is this is the ballot game and you're gonna make this character unique? RIP Banjo, Dixie or someone like that; this is one of Sakurai's old tricks: he'll never change.
I mean, I still think Isabelle was a good choice. Regardless of how much of a push she may or may not have had in the ballot, she’s an incredibly popular and iconic Nintendo character, and one of the clear rising stars of Nintendo. Her being a semi-clone is completely justified in my opinion.

That being said, I still really want some Tom Nook love. He’s been waiting a really long time and has always been my personal favorite AC character. But with Villager and Isabelle in, and a new AC game around the corner, he might just be a top contender for DLC. Here’s hoping.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759

Are you just not going to awknowledge the mass of my post where I called you out for straight up lying?

And dude, as much as I want Nook, it isn't happening. The entire point of them showing him was that he is staying behind to prepare Isabelle and Villager for Animal Crossing 2019. This is in no way similar to Dark Pit's tease. His tease was not followed by a teaser for Uprising 2. He simply appeared. I really reccomend you read his dialogue during his segment.

Dan

Smash Lord
Sakurai wouldn’t use that same trick twice, as shown by Isabelle being unique. It would be too obvious for him in his last big Smash.
Well, he may end up using the same trick twice with the K. Rool hints with Skull Kid... time will tell.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Well, he may end up using the same trick twice with the K. Rool hints with Skull Kid... time will tell.
I actually think Skull Kid’s just gonna be a boss since we only know of two and there would be no one better for Young Link to face at the end of whatever this “Spirits” or “Boss Rush” mode is.

Dan

Smash Lord
I mean, I still think Isabelle was a good choice. Regardless of how much of a push she may or may not have had in the ballot, she’s an incredibly popular and iconic Nintendo character, and one of the clear rising stars of Nintendo. Her being a semi-clone is completely justified in my opinion.

That being said, I still really want some Tom Nook love. He’s been waiting a really long time and has always been my personal favorite AC character. But with Villager and Isabelle in, and a new AC game around the corner, he might just be a top contender for DLC. Here’s hoping.
Completely fair; I should've seen this coming. I just thought she would be an Echo. She is one of the most popular non-Mario Nintendo characters at this point; I was just thrown off by the fact that this is a very Sm4sh move in the game where we've already gotten Ridley and Rool.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Completely fair; I should've seen this coming. I just thought she would be an Echo. She is one of the most popular non-Mario Nintendo characters at this point; I was just thrown off by the fact that this is a very Sm4sh move in the game where we've already gotten Ridley and Rool.
You mean the game where Mashed Potato Samurai was like: “ok, you got Mega Man. Also have Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and Corrin! Also, the fan favorite brawl newcomers won’t make an appearance, except for Lucas who didn’t get anywhere until dlc!”

Dan

Smash Lord
You mean the game where Mashed Potato Samurai was like: “ok, you got Mega Man. Also have Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and Corrin! Also, the fan favorite brawl newcomers won’t make an appearance, except for Lucas who didn’t get anywhere until dlc!”
Yes. This was also the game where Bayonetta won the ballot before it even started. Bad memories.

I also wanna say just because a character's popular doesn't make them worthy as a fighter; I don't know too much about Isabelle, but it doesn't seem like she was screaming to be in a game where she could kill Ridley or something. She's a lover, not a fighter.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
It's really strange.

It's a little odd, but I think it's worth noting that it's possible for Daisy and Peach to both have Toad out at the same time, while there can only be one Final Smash used at any time. So Tom & co. can just be helping both players without having to clone themselves like Toad would.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I question Sakurai every time. This game was looking so great before this. Everyone is here, K. Rool and Ridley were finally added. Everything from menus to modes (so far) looked beautiful, then Isabelle is given one of the severely limited unique spots and it all goes downhill from here.

Dan

Smash Lord
I question Sakurai every time. This game was looking so great before this. Everyone is here, K. Rool and Ridley were finally added. Everything from menus to modes (so far) looked beautiful, then Isabelle is given one of the severely limited unique spots and it all goes downhill from here.
I think if she's a semi-clone (which the jury is still out on) all won't be lost; if she's completely unique, that's bad news for highly-requested characters.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I think if she's a semi-clone (which the jury is still out on) all won't be lost; if she's completely unique, that's bad news for highly-requested characters.
The only semi-clone I thought had even a remote chance was Dixie Kong. Now I’m becoming less sure, because Isabelle is taking up someone’s spot regardless of how you look at it, unless Sakurai managed to include even more and is saving all this juicy info for something like the 50 (technically 51, Mewtwo was super hype!) fact extravaganza. Also it’s gonna be pretty hard to top what we have, considering the big three from back in the day (K. Rool, Ridley, AND Mewtwo) are all currently in.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
The only semi-clone I thought had even a remote chance was Dixie Kong. Now I’m becoming less sure, because Isabelle is taking up someone’s spot regardless of how you look at it, unless Sakurai managed to include even more and is saving all this juicy info for something like the 50 (technically 51, Mewtwo was super hype!) fact extravaganza.
Yeah, I don't like this. Dixie Kong would've been the next logical step in the way news has been coming so far... this was a step back, the first thing I didn't like so far and reeks of the Sm4sh days. This is the game where they were supposed to include everything people have wanted years; there's still hope.

link Г

Smash Rookie
The only semi-clone I thought had even a remote chance was Dixie Kong. Now I’m becoming less sure, because Isabelle is taking up someone’s spot regardless of how you look at it, unless Sakurai managed to include even more and is saving all this juicy info for something like the 50 (technically 51, Mewtwo was super hype!) fact extravaganza.
I would rather take Dixie as a semi-clone than Isabelle, while I don't mind her she was one of my least wanted. Disappointing they chose her over Tom Nook, but it was expected since she took over the role as Animal Crossing's mascot with New Leaf. But Tom Nook will always be Mr. Animal Crossing to me.

inb4 50+1 Fact Extravaganza featuring
Waluigi

Hey buddy, how about you stop circlejerking and spreading a LIES to defend a salty supporter of someone you like. If you take 3 seconds to google it, you will find that NO death threats were ever sent to Sakurai. I DARE you to find me proof that this occurred. What actually happend was 2 children sent Sakurai a photoshopped 9/11 meme, to which Sakurai promptly blocked them. Then, a fool name Wonder Havoc took these tweets and pushed the narrative that the entire Waluigi fambase was doing this, and of course, fools like you believed it.

Exactly this, it's been three months now and I still see more hostility towards Waluigi and his fans than from his fanbase which really isn't that toxic at all. Sensationalist media blew it way out of proportion and there were never any death threats. I've also seen far worse from other fanbases directed both at each other and at Sakurai/Nintendo during Smash speculation since Brawl, like that Ashley fan who wanted to "literally murder" Sakurai a month ago, and the salty Shantae fans who got mad at Sakurai after Bayonetta was revealed and wanted to "f*cking r*pe and spit and murder" her for being chosen over their favourite.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Seeing the footage of Nook today made me realize something. I'd like Nook to be in Smash. Add me as a supporter please.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Seeing the footage of Nook today made me realize something. I'd like Nook to be in Smash. Add me as a supporter please.
Don’t believe I ever officially announced this, but I’d like to support as well (though it might be too late)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At the least, I hope this Tom Nook resurge causes an increasing following of people who want Tom playable. Perhaps not a lot of people realized their want until now.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I already figured Nook was deconfirmed. I just had the hope that he somehow got in

And him being at the end of the trailer filled me with excitement only for a harsh fall down.

I'm just disappointed because my hopes were raised only to be slammed down.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Won't lie. I thought he was going to get in on the nintendo direct.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's really strange.

Well, two Final Smashes can't be used simultaneously.

Top Bottom