• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook For Smash Bros. Ultimate: Double Final Smash Duty (New Horizons Avaiable Now!!)

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'll only accept Nook in Smash if he has the Tanuki Mario statue fall as his Dair.
I also think his moveset should have more focus on furniture and furniture leaves. I can see some attacks having him throw out a leaf that after a second turns into heavy furniture, so if you hit the leaf you're good but if it turns into furniture then you're knocked back far.
I can also see him have a sort of Villagers Pocket move but instead Nook turns whatever item is in front of him into a leaf and holds the leaf. Throwing the leaf has it immediately turn back into whatever item it was and continue in the direction the leaf was thrown. This makes it so he can't use regular attacks while hes holding the leaf, but energy-based projectiles can be aimed up or down if the leaf is thrown that way. The leaf can also be z dropped where it'll remain as a leaf until someone picks it up and throws it.
Animal Crossing has been a best seller ever since the days of Gamecube, it has MORE than enough sales, popularity, and potential to have at least 3 incredibly unique fighters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Unpopular opinion, but I don't want another pocket move, in fact, I'd rather not have Villager's pocket move at all. Projectiles need to be scary again, and attacks like that are just ridiculous.

I think having all those attacks pulled out of hammerspace is a good enough way to reference AC's pockets.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion, but I don't want another pocket move, in fact, I'd rather not have Villager's pocket move at all. Projectiles need to be scary again, and attacks like that are just ridiculous.
I dunno - Villagers carelessly using Pocket certainly makes projectiles scary!

Counter-Gordo'ing a stolen Gordo to send it back at Villager will one-hit KO Villager, for example (I'm told that Mario Caping the Villager's tree can have similar effects, too). It's like playing with fire! :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I support Tom Nook and Isabelle as Animal Crossing, now it's gotten over the "meh, violence" thing, is a big enough series to have multiple reps and both of them could cover gameplay aspects not covered in Villager's moveset.

One idea I had for Nook is him haivng a lot of item based projectiles (fish, bugs, furtiture leaves) but he can chose to throw them or cash them in. IT would give him a lot of options but because he has to "pluck" then toss, he would have some lag issues.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo's latest official LINE account update has provided us with a Tom Nook visual that I think I'd rather have not seen! :laugh:

It shows the LINE account's mascot, Kinopio-kun, mimicking Tom Nook doing something that's kind of Scrooge McDuck-esque... Except not.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Nintendo's latest official LINE account update has provided us with a Tom Nook visual that I think I'd rather have not seen! :laugh:

It shows the LINE account's mascot, Kinopio-kun, mimicking Tom Nook doing something that's kind of Scrooge McDuck-esque... Except not.

:laugh:

New Victory pose confirmed :p

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You got my support. Give Tom Nook some tanooki suit influences from SMB3 and give him the merchant tools in Nooks Cranny, and you got yourself a character with great potential! He is essential to include for a new AC representative, but as of now, he only has to face Isabelle as a candidate. But both could get in. I want both of them to be playable, Tom Nook ESPECIALLY. Please Sakurai, don't let choosing an Animal Crossing newcomer be a dilemma! Pick both!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I feel like the OG of Tom Nook having Tanooki suit powers, so I'm happy people are still circulating that idea.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You got my support. Give Tom Nook some tanooki suit influences from SMB3 and give him the merchant tools in Nooks Cranny, and you got yourself a character with great potential! He is essential to include for a new AC representative, but as of now, he only has to face Isabelle as a candidate. But both could get in. I want both of them to be playable, Tom Nook ESPECIALLY. Please Sakurai, don't let choosing an Animal Crossing newcomer be a dilemma! Pick both!

I mean, we would have to be lucky as **** to get both of them.

But if it means us still getting Nook, I would be all for it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Given Animal Crossing's massive popularity, saying 'lucky' isn't the right word to say. AC getting more reps is as clear as day IMO. More like likely, but I still have the tense feeling of both not getting in any way. LOL

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Given Animal Crossing's massive popularity, saying 'lucky' isn't the right word to say. AC getting more reps is as clear as day IMO. More like likely, but I still have the tense feeling of both not getting in any way. LOL
True, it makes more sense if you put it that way.

Animal Crossing is bigger than before thanks to New Leaf. Plus all that Amiibo, although it was for a mediocre game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
AC has definitively grown enough to merit 2 reps. And while I think Isabelle is better moveset- and popularity-wise, Nook just has history with the franchise.

Plus we all want more villains and what bigger villain than capitalism itself.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
AC has definitively grown enough to merit 2 reps. And while I think Isabelle is better moveset- and popularity-wise, Nook just has history with the franchise.

Plus we all want more villains and what bigger villain than capitalism itself.
Communist propaganda is what this is

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I support Mr. Nook. Not sure about his moveset potential, but I would love to see him break everyones' wallet.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Are there any supporters willing to help me nominate Tom Nook in the Rate Their Chances thread? I wanna share my finished analysis on Tom Nook's chances as soon as possible before the E3 reveal or even May reveal comes for Smash Switch.

All you have to do is post... Nominations: x5 Tom Nook .... every rating day. The maximum amount of nominations is 5 per day. At that rate, we will be getting an interesting discussion quickly.

Last edited:

Folezicle

Smash Rookie
Put me down as a supporter. I kind of see Nook as a semi-clone. Borrowing some moves from villager. I could see him casting the fishing rod, as some sort of projectile. It would be in the nature of AC, where you don't see the rod being reeled in, but simply flicked back. The anchor instead of bowling ball is cool too. Maybe we could even see a spawner like moveset, similar to Gargos in Killer Instinct. He has a similar mechanic to Little Mac or Cloud where he has a bar that charges overtime (or Bells) and when fully charged Nook could spawn either Timmy or Tommy. They wont be super powerful but are more of a distraction. And unlike Luma they are controlled by the AI.

Personality-wise he is more interesting than Isabelle in my opinion as well and has been in the games since the start.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Tom Nooks day in the RTC, come show your support.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Taking the RTC discussion to this thread, BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 really intrigued me of what his moveset might be. I'll be doing my own "research" to pick the elements of Animal Crossing Tom Nook could use. I think Luminario Luminario already had a great set idea with the floaty and weak leaves turning into furniture (Really, Lumi is a moveset miracle on these boards. It's always great to see their take on characters). I think it'll be interesting to see if Tom Nook truly has visual elements and gameplay elements in Animal Crossing that only he can use which currently is one of my core roadblocks to seeing him as absolutely neccesary to the Smash roster.

I appreciate the compliment greatly. Any compliment makes my time in Smash speculation worth it for me. :)

I would like to say something on the matter of multiple newcomers. In Smash 4, we had Rosalina AND Bowser Jr. in the same roster. Rosalina, at the time, was notably pushed in Mario game marketing far more than Bowser Jr., and her recent appearances in 3D world and in Mario spinoffs had lead to her being revealed as playable for the game. Does this mean that Bowser Jr. would have been discounted because Rosalina was pushed more? No. Bowser Jr. was part of Smash 4's roster plan alongside Rosalina because of his central importance for the New Super Mario Bros. series. With both characters providing distinct gameplay potential with the Clown Car and Galaxy mechanics, they both made it in Smash 4. This is why I see the idea of two Animal Crossing newcomers not being a far fetched idea. I see Tom Nook AND Isabelle being added due to high promotion, importance to the series, and gameplay potential with New Leaf's mayor gameplay/AC's money upgrade gameplay aspect.

By the way, I added a little detail in my Tom Nook RTC analysis you guys might be surprised by. TCT~Phantom will spot it very quickly. ;)
Except Bowser Jr was as important, requested, relevant as Rosalina.
Tom Nook has been overshadowed by Isabelle in every way since New Leaf and would only be a sensibls choice after Isabelle is already in (with Nook being the second newcomer) or with Isabelle being directly vetoed by Sakurai for the same reason he excluded Villager from Brawl.
Until that time, Nook is a strictly inferior choice, unlike two-sides-of-the-same-coin Rosalina and Bowser Jr (which also spawned from the two distinct relevant directions of the Mario series took since Brawl, whereas Animal Crossing kept it a bit samey after New Leaf) and would get in based on Sakurai's odd-wired "dance sparks", which is very hard to say he may or may not have had instead of liking to explore multiple characters that are equally relevant in the current direction of the series and deciding both have a moveset that's worth incorporating.
Another thing to take in mind that would make Nookabelle different from previous double dips is that Nook and Isabelle would use the same visual elements of the classic Animal Crossing houses, furniture and public works and judging from your moveset, would both have strong influences from the stage control/terraforming/traps department.
A moveset does not stop at the core idea and Sakurai would know putting in two new characters from the same series that would share visual elements and direct playstyle (Like a gameplan, what does this character want to do to win?) is a big investment (har-har-har)
All in all, I do not see a proper connection between the Rosalina/Bowser Jr situation to feel its applicable to a situation where both Isabelle and Nook have to get in.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd agree with anyone that says Isabelle is more important NOW, but Tom Nook has been the main guy from the start of the series, and is absolutely iconic in Japan, which are things people often overlook. I still think Isabelle may have a slight edge over him in terms of getting into Smash, but that's because I think she's much harder to make an original moveset for, and is a prime candidate for a clone/semi-clone in the next game. She, much like many other AC characters, has unique traits of her own, but I've yet to see these traits implemented into a convincing Smash Bros. moveset.

Tom Nook is much more unique, I don't think many of the ideas here are much of a stretch either. People say "oh you can just give Isabelle the leaf turning into furniture attack" but Nook, for many, was the one to introduce you to the very items in the first place. There's an actual connection there, it's not just some random idea. Then you have his building prowess, as well as his money-hungry personality, all things that have been addressed in multiple Nook moveset ideas, and none of which apply to anybody else in the Animal Crossing series (outside of his sons maybe). Then you have his natural physical attributes, which we all know has a long-standing iconic nature for Nintendo, that can easily make up most of his standard attacks. Nook is a character that gets passively dismissed as to having "no potential" all the time, but the reality is he not only has potential, but it's also pretty obvious if you touched an AC game.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd agree with anyone that says Isabelle is more important NOW, but Tom Nook has been the main guy from the start of the series, and is absolutely iconic in Japan, which are things people often overlook. I still think Isabelle may have a slight edge over him in terms of getting into Smash, but that's because I think she's much harder to make an original moveset for, and is a prime candidate for a clone/semi-clone in the next game.

Tom Nook is much more unique, I don't think many of the ideas here are much of a stretch either. People say "oh you can just give Isabelle the leaf turning into furniture attack" but Nook, for many, was the one to introduce you to the very items in the first place. There's an actual connection there, it's not just some random idea. Then you have his building prowess, as well as his money-hungry personality, all things that have been addressed in multiple Nook moveset ideas, and none of which apply to anybody else in the Animal Crossing series (outside of his sons maybe). Then you have his natural physical attributes, which we all know has a long-standing iconic nature for Nintendo, that can easily make up most of his standard attacks. Nook is a character that gets passively dismissed as to having "no potential" all the time, but the reality is he not only has potential, but it's also pretty obvious if you touched an AC game.
I still think Isabelle's "public works" idea is a pretty terraforming/trapping playstyle which, regardless of how Nook's moveset would work, would play a role in his moveset as well. Being money-hungry is a much more specific and less implementable in a moveset than Isabelle's clumsiness as well.
I don't think Nook has no potential, but it all doesn't feel exclusive to him at all.

How important is Mr. Resetti in the Animal Crossing series? Could he be a viable contender who trades importance for a better established character with a unique weapon and body-shape whose moveset doesn't rely on Animal Crossing props but moreso his axe and digging?
Animal Crossing puzzles me as a series, but I do feel it's a sizeable part of predicting this roster

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still think Isabelle's "public works" idea is a pretty terraforming/trapping playstyle which, regardless of how Nook's moveset would work, would play a role in his moveset as well. Being money-hungry is a much more specific and less implementable in a moveset than Isabelle's clumsiness as well.
I don't think Nook has no potential, but it all doesn't feel exclusive to him at all.

How important is Mr. Resetti in the Animal Crossing series? Could he be a viable contender who trades importance for a better established character with a unique weapon and body-shape whose moveset doesn't rely on Animal Crossing props but moreso his axe and digging?
Animal Crossing puzzles me as a series, but I do feel it's a sizeable part of predicting this roster
We threw around ideas for his money-hungriness awhile back. I had one where he tosses a coin to "bribe" another character to stop attacking or hit him less hard lmao. There's other ones that give him his bell sack and swing it around, or dump it, simple standard attacks. It's still fairly easy to find a place for money in his moveset.

I don't know where Isabelle's clumsiness came to be, but I don't remember it in New Leaf. Maybe it's a fan-made personality trait, but the whole "attacking on accident" thing seems to be forced imo. I just remember her being sweet and helpful. The public works concept is a push in the right direction, but outside of dropping statues and stuff on people (which isn't really inspired or anything), I can't really envision anything myself.

To be clear, I think there's a lot of AC characters that have potential to be unique characters in Smash, Nook and Isabelle included. In fact, I think it's the most overlooked series here. Anyway, you mentioned Mr. Resetti, he's pretty important, but unlike Nook, his importance has faded a lot, partially because the nature of resetting in videogames has changed (which makes him less common), and, because of what he does, players tend to not wanna see him. Thing with him though is that, imo, putting a good moveset for him together is rather challenging, because he absolutely MUST have those long-winded speeches involved somewhere in there, it's his most important quality. In terms of importance to the series, I'd say he's behind Nook/Isabelle, and KK Slider as well, so he'd be on the waiting list for sure.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I still say Tom Nook would still apply to being relevant and important to the AC series still, despite requests not potentially being not as high as before. Having both of these gives him a strong edge over other potential newcomer candidates to be considered.

Tom Nook’s playstyle, while involving stage control to a small degree for at least the house upgrade involves utilizing and earning cash by skillfully attacking the opponent to earn powerful attacks. While Isabelle, utilizes more stage props to gain defense and massive stage control over her opponents, less about upgrading.

Both play styles provide complexity, but comparing their playstyles as the same is like comparing apples to oranges.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I still say Tom Nook would still apply to being relevant and important to the AC series still, despite requests not potentially being not as high as before. Having both of these gives him a strong edge over other potential newcomer candidates to be considered.

Tom Nook’s playstyle, while involving stage control to a small degree for at least the house upgrade involves utilizing and earning cash by skillfully attacking the opponent to earn powerful attacks. While Isabelle, utilizes more stage props to gain defense and massive stage control over her opponents, less about upgrading.

Both play styles provide complexity, but comparing their playstyles as the same is like comparing apples to oranges.
I wonder what would fall under "skillfully"
Would the player have to fullfill a certain condition to earn coins after attacking opponents? A tier system where certain attacks earn more?
I've seen you use that specific word twice now when referring to Nook's playstyle so I wonder what you mean by it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I wonder what would fall under "skillfully"
Would the player have to fullfill a certain condition to earn coins after attacking opponents? A tier system where certain attacks earn more?
I've seen you use that specific word twice now when referring to Nook's playstyle so I wonder what you mean by it.
By skillfully, it means actually hitting the opponent. It can be any of the non-special move attacks that lets Tom Nook earn money if these attacks connect to the opponent. Perhaps when doing a combo or avoid getting hit while attacking the opponent, you multiply the earnings.

SonicMario

Smash Master
By skillfully, it means actually hitting the opponent. It can be any of the non-special move attacks that lets Tom Nook earn money if these attacks connect to the opponent. Perhaps when doing a combo or avoid getting hit while attacking the opponent, you multiply the earnings.
Tom Nook top tier in Coin Smash then? xP

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I just witnessed Tom Nook being a part of Villager's final smash:

Personally, it was very disheartening for me, as someone that was extremely confident on Tom Nook for this game.

I am hoping Isabelle gets in at the very least. Though, not getting Tom Nook and Isabelle is depressing.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just witnessed Tom Nook being a part of Villager's final smash:

Personally, it was very disheartening for me, as someone that was extremely confident on Tom Nook for this game.

I am hoping Isabelle gets in at the very least. Though, not getting Tom Nook and Isabelle is depressing.
I'm not very happy with the roster in general, so I feel you.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Assuming we do get Isabelle, I do hope that Tom Nook demand increases immensely again in a future Smash title. I am hoping for a cause-and-effect scenario to happen. Tom Nook is still a solid newcomer idea that would sell with a lot of mainstream Nintendo fans that Sakurai could go back to if the high demand is present.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Ah, well, that happened.

Am I disappointed? Yeah, kinda, but not too disappointed.

I guess there's always next time, right?

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Animal Crossing: New Leaf for my 3DS. I support!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want Nook. Don't care if he's in villager's final Smash

Maybe they could have him in his original clothing to differentiate.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What the hell was that transition from Isabelle to Tom Nook, I thought he was gonna be confirmed for Smash, but he was announcing Animal Crossing Switch. I feel so deceived. ;_;

Is it a hint, or am I in denial?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
What the hell was that transition from Isabelle to Tom Nook, I thought he was gonna be confirmed for Smash, but he was announcing Animal Crossing Switch. I feel so deceived. ;_;

Is it a hint, or am I in denial?
He was already shown to be in Villager's Final Smash. Tom Nook is pretty much deconfirmed. Though when they showed him I had forgotten that aspect and thought he'd be Isabelle's echo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom