• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tokyo 2020 eGames: How Will It Affect Smash?

The XXXI Olympic Games at Rio de Janeiro came to a close last Sunday, and with it began the countdown to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. This year’s Olympics featured a somewhat unorthodox event: the Olympic eGames.

This “side-event” was just a showcase event, featuring Smite and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. The eGames is aiming to become a full, all-around event with several other games at the next Olympic Games at Tokyo.

This year’s eGames already had a huge impact on Smash 4, and although this milestone may have been in the works before the eGames, the event certainly did reaffirm its impact. This milestone was the signing of Elliot “C9|Ally” Carroza-Oyarce.

What to Expect From Tokyo 2020

We still have four more years to speculate, but considering how the eGames have already affected us in the short-term, it is safe to say the Tokyo 2020 eGames will be one of the biggest events in gaming.

Many major tournaments like EVO, CEO and Apex have already had an impact in the competitive Smash scene, but all these tournaments are efforts done by community members. The eGames organization is looking to bring eSports to an Olympic level.

One of the first things to look forward to is an amazing increase in awareness of international players. Players from Europe, North and South America gathered this year at the showcase. Not many people had previously heard the names of top players from South America and the Caribbean, like Darien "Wabz" Jardine from Trinidad & Tobago or Paulo "Player 7" Janini Ferreira from Brazil.

With this newfound awareness, there might be even more sponsorships. This year’s event was only a showcase, meaning that Tokyo 2020 might bring even more stars from all over the world. Sponsorships for many international players may come as an aftereffect of the eGames.

The Future of Smash, and eSports as a Whole
Earlier this year, we saw the case of professional Super Smash Bros. Melee player William “TSM|Leffen” Hjelte and his struggle to get an approved sports visa, which resulted in a full petition to the White House (which was ultimately fully signed, but not taken in consideration).

With an event on the scale of the Olympic Games, this topic is brought to the forefront once again: can eAthletes have work visas?

As a matter of fact, the eGames might help with this issue, as bringing players from all over the world may also bring customs troubles. A country like Japan may not have visa laws as strict as the US, but the effect of the event may bring awareness of the needs of Smashers and gamers in general.

The future of eSports as a source of revenue, hence turning them into jobs, is still a mystery. Considering the fact that the US is one of the countries with the most eAthletes, and with an eTeam attending the eGames, US Customs may have to consider eSports as a valid reason for a P1 visa.

It Is Not Going To Be Easy

Before taking everything for granted, we must recognize one thing: perks, acclaim, recognition, etc. are not gifts. Let’s think for a moment how Tokyo 2020 will help, and what is needed for it to come to fruition.

The 2020 eGames are going to be at the heart of videogame culture and serve as a bridge between communities and videogame companies, including Nintendo and Sora Ltd, the creators of the Super Smash Bros. series. But how do we know Smash will even be at the eGames?

First of all, it was in the showcase, alongside Smite. We shouldn’t worry much for Smash 4; however, we should worry about other Smash games. “Will we see Super Smash Bros. Melee?” is likely the first question you may ask. One might think we would see Melee there; after all, it is highly acclaimed by Smash series fans and many eSports activists.

What about other games? Project M? Well, this is a deeper question. After all, PM is not an official game. We have seen how community tournaments like CEO have allied with Nintendo and, in turn, have “underground” PM events. Is this going to be the case? Too early to say. While Smash 4, PM and Melee may be staples in competitive Smash events, PM doesn’t have as much luck as the other two regarding recognition by Nintendo.

---​

So what do you think? Are you excited for the Tokyo 2020 eGames? What do you think we could expect from it? Let us know in the comments! Be sure to follow the eGames on Twitter @eGames_Official and to check their website here. #futureofesports

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

We won't get Melee, but we'll get Melee HD. I'm positive!

But the future will be good.

Last edited:
Really like the article. The fact that Smash, an e-sport currently overshadowed by the likes of competitive League, DoTA, Starcraft and already Overwatch was allowed into this showcase event seems huge for the growth of our scene already, and seems to signify a future in the larger e-sports scene for our games. Of course, that's the dream, and we have to work hard towards it, but looking back, this is a pretty darn good place to be so far. Let's keep it up, peeps!

I hate to be that guy, but as it stands, I suspect Smash in general will be more likely to remain overshadowed unless the community can do something about the baskets of bad apples that will make a stink in the community.

they don't care who it is, really, these minorities are very likely to trigger folks and defend whatever Smash game they're big on. they just spark arguments that go nowhere, and it's kinda hard to have any thoughtful discussions when these people invade the conversation.

I hate to be that guy, but as it stands, I suspect Smash in general will be more likely to remain overshadowed unless the community can do something about the baskets of bad apples that will make a stink in the community.

they don't care who it is, really, these minorities are very likely to trigger folks and defend whatever Smash game they're big on. they just spark arguments that go nowhere, and it's kinda hard to have any thoughtful discussions when these people invade the conversation.
These are a vocal minority that exist in every game, and they're much less of a problem now than they were a year ago for us. Smash as a whole has a better community (although I personally hate treating "Smash" like it's all one community) than almost any game, and a substantially better community than games like League and DoTA. The only real obstacle Smash faces is the lack of support from Nintendo, but even they're pretending to care about Sm4sh now, which is at least a step in the right direction.

I don't really say how you can say "it is safe to say the Tokyo 2020 eGames will be one of the biggest events in gaming," considering the 2016 egames had only two games, neither of which gained much viewership, or the fact that the organizers have demonstrated on several occasions that they don't really understand the competitive environments of these games (inviting Hungrybox to play smash 4? really?)

Like I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions but thus far the egames have been mostly inconsequential.

Last edited:
I don't really say how you can say "it is safe to say the Tokyo 2020 eGames will be one of the biggest events in gaming," considering the 2016 egames had only two games, neither of which gained much viewership, or the fact that the organizers have demonstrated on several occasions that they don't really understand the competitive environments of these games (inviting Hungrybox to play smash 4? really?)

Like I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions but thus far the egames have been mostly inconsequential.
It is worth noticing that this year's was just a showcase, and it has been stated that we should wait for more.

I am not sure of that Hbox info, could you link me to it? (and if you are referring to the Smash Invitational at E3, that was Nintendo organizing, not the eGames)

It is worth noticing that this year's was just a showcase, and it has been stated that we should wait for more.

I am not sure of that Hbox info, could you link me to it? (and if you are referring to the Smash Invitational at E3, that was Nintendo organizing, not the eGames)
That info comes directly from Hungrybox himself, on Twitter. I was not referring to the Smash Invitational.

The fact that this was just a showcase doesn't really mean much. While it can be said that this year's eGames weren't meant to be very big, that doesn't change the fact that given the information we've received thus far we have very little reason believe that the 2020 eGames will be "one of the biggest events in gaming."

"It has been stated that we should wait for more" is pretty vague and doesn't really mean much, either. Like it had better bring some more next time, but that doesn't say much at all. We have no reason to expect that they'll be able to successfully pull off something on such a grand scale as they're suggesting or that it will amount to much to esports as a whole.

Like this really feels like the kind of thing we all should have learned by now to be skeptical of - some new org shows up and promises great things for esports, promises to change the scene, and gives us very little reason to believe them other than empty promises and some platitudes. It's like when Apex 2016 was announced and promised to be bigger than ever, and kept telling us to expect great things from it, and then failed to even attract even 16 players for four events and had to cancel them.

Not that I expect the eGames to be a failure on the level of Apex or anything, but I am incredibly skeptical, because I just don't see a reason to believe that they have anything special to bring to esports as a whole. And I certainly don't think there's any reason to expect them to be "one of the biggest events in gaming." Like, that's pretty ambitious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom