• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toko Fukawa Writes Her Wrongs - Toko (Danganronpa) Support Thread (SPOILERS)

amageish

Smash Master
Toko Fukawa Support Thread

THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN DANGANRONPA SPOILERS. WANT TO HAVE A SPOILER-FREE DANGANRONPA SPECULATION EXPERIENCE? I HAVE A PROTAGONIST THREAD OVER HERE!

What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a series of horror visual novels about hope and despair in cruel and unjust circumstances. In each of them, a group of high school students recognized for their talents in a particular field, known as Ultimates, are trapped by an evil robotic teddy bear named Monokuma in an inescapable game of murder. They are told that they must murder one of their fellow students and get away with it in order to escape their capture and "graduate" from the game. The protagonists, generally, do not approve of this situation (for obvious reasons) and work to expose the masterminds behind the circumstances they find themselves in.

The gameplay is divided into three distinct modes. In Daily Life, the characters wonder around and socialize. Players can give gifts to strengthen their bonds with their fellow Ultimates, learning about each other and making friends. This is interrupted upon the discovery of a body, which begins the second phase, Deadly Life. In Deadly Life, the player investigates the crime scene, compiling evidence and testimony in order to uncover the guilty party. This culminates in the third phase, the Class Trial, where all the Ultimates argue about who is/isn't the killer, with the player using evidence as "Truth Bullets" to find contradictions in student testimony and shatter misconceptions had by the other students. In the latest entry, Danganronpa V3, the player is also able to use "Lie Bullets" to try to uncover the truth through misleading their classmates themselves. The court system also has a variety of (mildly-intrusive) minigames to help guide the player to the truth.

Who is Toko and why are you suggesting she'd represent Danganronpa?

Toko Fukawa is a participant in the Killing Game in Danganronpa 1, which she survives and lives on to become the secondary protagonist of spin-off Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls. The Ultimate Writing Prodigy, Toko is a nervous woman with an obsessive attitude and a dark secret: a split personality of Genocide Jack, a prolific serial killer who targets attractive men and kills them with her signature weapon: a pair of scissors.

In addition to being one of the most reocurring Danganronpa characters (appearing in some form in all major entries), Toko is a noted favourite of the series creator, Kazutaka Kodaka, who has noted that she best represents the game's worldview. She is also the favourite of the franchise's artist, Rui Komatsuzaki. I honestly think she could end up representing the IP in a crossover if another Min-Min-esque "Let the creators pick" situation due to her unique role in the IP and her unique skillet: She's been in Class Trials and therefore could arguably use moves from the minigames as I would imagine a protagonist would; she's been in hand-to-hand combat a lot and has a canon generic fighting kit to use with her scissors from UDG; and she's got a much more "horror game" look to her if they were concerned about that.

Why put Danganronpa in Smash?

Danganronpa represents three things currently not playably present in Smash Bros.

First, it's a horror franchise! We have a horror assist trophy and plenty of horror spirits, but no character represents horror games in Smash themselves.

Secondly, it's a visual novel franchise. We know Ayumi, the protagonist of Nintendo's own investigation series Famicom Detective, was considered (however briefly) for Melee. A Danganronpa protagonist would provide a great opportunity to reconsider having an investigation-based visual novel moveset in Smash Bros.

Thirdly, it's a franchise from Spike Chunsoft. Spike Chunsoft is a company with a lot of Nintendo collaborations, notably being the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise and, more recently, acting as a sort of go-between company for Nintendo and Brace Yourself Games collaborating on Cadence of Hyrule. So, while Danganronpa is currently only present on Nintendo hardware via cameos in other games (notably in Crypt of the Necrodancer), the company it is from has a close working relationship with Nintendo. This puts them in a similar boat to the one Joker was in prior to his reveal; I'm not saying Danganronpa content is in any way likely, but it is a dark horse that could certainly get into Smash if the stars align.

Smash doesn't care about spoilers. Do you think Danganronpa would be given special treatment?

Honestly? Yes, I kind of do. As a mystery visual novel, Danganronpa is an interesting position for spoilers, as they can really impact player experience. One could argue that spoilers present in the movesets of characters like Banjo or Shulk don't necessarily matter, given how those are games you can play primarily for the gameplay. I think Danganronpa, a third-party murder mystery game not currently on Nintendo hardware, would be treated differently then the franchises Sakurai and the Smash team have been kind of reckless with spoilers for. Which isn't to say I wouldn't expect famous characters as spirits, Mii Costumes, and stage cameos - I would, but presented in not explicitly revealing ways. I also would be surprised if the character themselves directly spoils key plot twists. I do think the music would be taken from across the franchise though, including some endgame and post-game songs.

Now, watch as I be wrong and the next character is revealed to be Monokuma and his final Smash is a 20-minute lecture where he spoils every key event across the entire franchise...

Wait... So, you think Danganronpa would have a largely spoiler-free experience, but also you're pitching Genocide Jack in Smash?

Genocide Jack is on the cover of Danganronpa Decadence. That's a spoiler they obviously no longer care about, while they have been keeping up other lies and including active misdirection in Decadence's advertising.

This is a balance of what I want/expect and what I would want. If I am in charge, I'd want to be as spoiler-free as possible, but it seems like Jack's an open secret... also, why is Komaru on the boxart of Decadence, Spike, UDG isn't even in the collection...

Book Club Members:
amageish amageish
Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
This was a really good writeup! I support, danganronpa being one of my dream picks, I'd love to see any content from the series!

Top Bottom