• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Token Power 1.2 Mafia Signups (7/7)

osieorb18

Smash Ace

#0: I am the host and I reserve the rights to change these rules.

I am the final arbiter of role interactions and game rule infringements. I will never lie or intentionally mislead you. If you have a problem with a ruling I make, please shelve it until after the game. To the best of my and my reviewers' knowledge, this is not a ******* game.
#1: Follow the spirit of these rules in addition to the letter.

These rules direct the actions of human beings and are enforced by human beings. I am lenient in many a case, as I know that human beings are fallible and that players often don't read the rules. That said, I do not like to have to warn the same player for the same rule multiple times.

If you try to cheat the game or the game rules in any manner, usually it will be discovered. As of the writing of this rule, I only have one offense for which I would blacklist a player. That offense is intentionally and knowingly cheating. If I catch you intentionally and knowingly cheating, not only will you be immediately modkilled, not only will I be extremely likely to not allow you in any games I run in the future, but I will be inclined to do everything in my power to ensure that you do not participate in any other games on this site or in any other community in which I play Mafia as a publicly-broadcasted cheater.

If you believe that you have found a mistake or loophole in these rules, please discuss it with me before posting.
#2: Have fun, be respectful towards the other people involved in the game and follow the normal forum rules. This is a game, which we're playing for fun. Expect a low tolerance for toxicity.

You are responsible for following all forum and subforum rules and guidelines. Forum-wide rules are available here. Mafia Game Rules are available here.

Mafia is a game, we’re here to have fun. Please be respectful of the other people involved in the game. Sometimes emotions run high and we get caught up in the moment. That is not an excuse for flaming or poor sportsmanship.

I won't be moderating profanity. That's on you.

While I don't care about cursing, I will report, replace, and/or modkill you for derogatory content, in particular, slurs, in relation to or targeted towards another user or person, at my own reasonable discretion.
#3: Keep the out-of-game separate from the in-game. This is a modkillable/reportable offense.

• DO NOT talk about this game outside of this thread and outside communication given to you in your role PM or approved by me. Please attempt to copy me in as appropriate on out-of-game messages sent to other players. It is a good idea to ask permission before discussing the game with anyone outside the game, because they can no longer replace into the game once any meaningful discussion takes place.
  • DO NOT directly quote or screenshot your role PM or any private communications when posting in the main game thread. This includes mason chats and scum chats. Pretending to break this rule is the same as actually breaking it. Putting words or phrases in quotation marks when discussing private communications in-thread is also a violation of this rule. Please paraphrase - if you are in doubt, ask me before posting!
  • DO NOT bring up rule-breaking in thread. If you feel that someone is breaking the rules, bring it up with myself and/or the game manager for the game directly. Accusing someone of rulebreaking in thread or in game-related communications that involve multiple people other than the host will be grounds for a modkill.
  • When posting in a mafia game, please do not use angleshooting or out-of-game knowledge, to the best of your ability. This means do not discuss the timing, reasons, or order of substitutions and modkills, do not discuss the timing or phrasing of role PMs, do not make alignment bets with out of game consequences, and do not use “trust tells” or similar. This list is not exhaustive. Providing direct proof (e.g. picture of yourself at an out-of-game activity, screenshot of out-of-game notes) of an out-of-game context in thread is another form of angleshooting.
#4: By confirming that you have received your Role PM, you also confirm that you have read it.

Not reading your Role PM is a form of cheating. I consider there to only be one warning for this, for life. If I know that a player knows that they must read their role PM but has chosen not to do so, this rule and related consequences will be enforced with great prejudice.
#5: DO NOT make more than a small edit to posts unless discussed with the mod. Even if it’s an accidental double post. In particular, DO NOT delete posts. This is a modkillable/reportable offense.

#6: No funny business. If you no longer wish to participate in a game for any reason, contact the host. DO NOT attempt to force the host to modkill you. DO NOT use invisible text, cryptography, tiny writing, hidden messages, trust tells, lynching for reasons outside of perceived alignment, or similar. DO NOT post after you are dead. DO NOT post if you are not a player. This is a modkillable/reportable offense.

#7: Post game-related content as required by the game-specific inactivity rules. LET'S MAKE THIS A REPLACEMENT-FREE GAME, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

If you have not maintained minimum posting requirements, you will be prodded. Failing to respond to the prod within 24 hours will lead to your replacement or modkill. Content is, of course, subjective, but “Posting to avoid prod,” “catching up,” or similar short not-really-game-related posts are obviously not content. If you need to be absent for an extended period of time please post “V/LA until [Date]” in bold on its own line in the thread or contact me directly so that I and the other players know when you’ll be back. You do not need to explain your reasons for being absent in thread. If you will be gone for more than a full round, you should consider requesting replacement.
#8: Do not spam the thread.

While I will not enforce a strict posting maximum, if I feel that you're posting too much in a row (more than five posts in a row is generally excessive), action may be taken ranging from a warning to eventual replacement/modkill. That said, I do not usually consider simple edits by way of double posting in this context, unless it is egregious.
#9: I make no promises about public answers to any question. If you have a question about your role or a rules interaction, please communicate with me privately. If you do choose to tag a host in the thread, that host may ignore you.

I will be particularly unlikely to answer questions posed to me in the game thread other than questions about vote counts or deadlines. If you raise a question in a private message that needs addressing to the entire game (regarding a special rule or similar), I will respond as I feel is appropriate.
#10: Once a lynch is reached, votes are considered locked in. Votes and unvotes made after that will not be counted. (This is known as the Twilight phase.)

#11: If deadline is reached and no player fulfills the requirements to be lynched, the day ends with no lynch.

#12: Make your votes clear to all people reading your posts. Please bold your vote and place it on a separate line. If your vote is not counted, please contact the host(s). You do not need to unvote. Unless instructed otherwise, please vote using the following format:

[b]Vote: Osieorb18[/b]

#13: Mafia team players may submit actions for other Mafia team players if the other Mafia team player has not submitted an action. However, if the other Mafia team player ever submits an action, their fellow Mafia team players cannot change what that Mafia team player submitted.

#14: DO NOT POST IN THE THREAD DURING THE NIGHT PHASE, UNLESS YOUR ROLE SAYS OTHERWISE.

#15: If there is no lynch for a Day, followed by no kill for a Night, followed by no lynch once more for a second Day, then at host discretion, a random town player may become the lynch for the second Day. This rule exists to prevent perpetual MyLO.

TL;DR: Be excellent to each other, don't be inactive, ask me questions in private when possible, don’t edit or delete posts, no funny business involving cryptography, etc. and... have fun, that’s the whole point.

Setup

At the start of the game, there are 5 Town players and 2 Mafia players.

Each player is Vanilla. At the beginning of the game, as part of each player's role PM, that player will receive one of the token items listed, associated with a 1-shot role. If a token has a slash on it, its function depends on the alignment of the player who uses it. The Mafia team shares a pool of their tokens.

Token List:

• Motivator(Town)/Roleblocker(Mafia)
  • Bulletproof(Town)/Ninja(Mafia)
  • Doctor(Town)/Redirector(Mafia)
  • Tracker(Town)/Strongman(Mafia)
  • Watcher(Town)/Item Thief(Mafia)
  • Commuterizer
  • Messenger
  • Bread Baker
  • Motivator - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. That player may use one of their tokens as an extra Action during that Night, whether or not that token is used up.
  • Roleblocker - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. That player's action during that Night are prevented.
  • Bulletproof - The first time this game that you would be shot, you are protected from that kill.
  • Ninja - Once per game, as a Night action, you may choose to have all actions you take during that Night be unable to be seen by investigative roles.
  • Doctor - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. You protect that player from kills during that Night.
  • Redirector - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target two other players. Redirect all actions the first player takes during that Night to target the second player.
  • Tracker - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. You learn who that player targeted during that Night.
  • Strongman - Once per game, as a Night action, you may choose to have all actions you take during that Night be unable to be prevented, protected against, or redirected.
  • Watcher - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. You learn who targeted that player during that Night.
  • Item Thief - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. You steal an item from that player during that Night. You will always take Bread before a role. If you take a role, that role is only usable if it had not been used yet, or if you become motivated.
  • Commuterizer - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. Remove that player from the game for the duration of the Night phase. You gain a chat with that player as long as they are removed from the game. That player cannot target or be targeted by actions while they are removed from the game.
  • Messenger - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. Write a message for that player. The host will deliver it during that Night.
  • Bread Baker - Once per game, as a Night action, you may target another player. Give that player a Loaf of Bread. A Loaf of Bread is an item with the following actions:
    • "Eat Me" - Once per game, as a Night action, you may eat this bread. The bread will cease to exist.
Game-Specific Notes:
  • The Mafia team members may submit the factional nightkill and exactly one action in the same Night. However, they may only submit one action. They may not, for example, read the Envelope AND track another player in the same Night.
  • The game will be majority lynch during the day and plurality lynch at the end of the day.
  • If the game is in LyLO or MyLO, votes will be locked when made.
  • Lynch Deadlines will be 120 hours. There will then be a Twilight period of 0-12 hours. The Lynch Deadline applies whether or not any of the hosts are there to post the final votecount.
  • Action Submission Deadlines will be 24 hours. There will then be an Action Handling period of 24 hours. The Action Submission Deadline applies whether or not any of the hosts have confirmed your actions as locked. If all players who can submit an action or chat during the Night vote to end the Night early, the Night may end early.
  • Players are expected to post content (what constitutes content will be judged relatively leniently on a case-by-case basis) during the Day at least 5 times in the first 48 hours, at least 11 times in the first 96 hours, at least 2 times in the last 24 hours, and at least 14 times per Day phase. If someone is very close to these numbers, I am more likely to keep a closer eye on them. If the Day phase is cut short by a Majority lynch, the numbers will be recalculated as applicable, but any numbers set here will be used as upper bounds. (e.g. 8 posts in the first 72 hours) Be active, please!
  • Mafia will have nightchat and daychat.
  • You will have 1 free prod over the course of the game. If you are in the top 50% of posters when 50% of the players have been eliminated, you will gain another free prod. If all of your free prods have been used up, you will be replaced or modkilled at host discretion.
In it to win it:

1. UtopianPoyzin
  2. Z25
  3. ExLight
  4. LogicoftheVI
  5. Jackrito
  6. Raxxel
  7. Xivii

Spectating from the sidelines:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This sounds a bit different but I’m interested in learning more about this style of game so I’ll give it a shot.

/in

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Interesting setup, but I'm afraid that Ranmaru beat you to the punch with posting the signups.

I'm /inning regardless but still...
Ranmaru's signup should absolutely fill first. Not going to argue there. Was my impression that there was no limit to posting signups, but if it's generally accepted that people don't post two at once, I understand that.

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Ranmaru's signup should absolutely fill first. Not going to argue there. Was my impression that there was no limit to posting signups, but if it's generally accepted that people don't post two at once, I understand that.
Yeah, we usually limit signups to having one open at a time, so two unfilled games aren't competing for players. I'd suppose it'd be fine to keep this open, but just keep it in mind for future reference.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
If this game doesn't start until after Ranmaru's game ends/I die in Ran's game, I will join.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm fine if I go first or second. I think these two threads being here is fine enough though, and y'all sign up for what you want to play first. I'll be here regardless. There isn't a queue so this is expected. (Plus I think I may have done that before, with the caveat that the game before me fill first)

I'm just glad there are games for us to play.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm looking into this one, but being in RAn's game right now, I'm not sure I'd have time.

Can someone at least tell me what the point of having bread in a mafia game is for?

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
I'm looking into this one, but being in RAn's game right now, I'm not sure I'd have time.

Can someone at least tell me what the point of having bread in a mafia game is for?
I think the jist of it is just to confuse watcher/trackers by having more people that have abilities that involve targeting someone else. Osie might have other reasons for including it/bread might do something more?

osieorb18

Smash Ace

What GLG and Kary said. It's a provable low-powered role that targets and gives an item, so it's relevant to watcher, tracker, Item Thief, and potentially Redirector.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
As long as the game takes place after Ran's, I'm all /in

ExLight

Smash Lord
I would like to announce my shame in confirming here because the pre-game thread stated to confirm privately in the PMs and I didn't read that and people are still confirming. Sorry in advance
I confirmed in both cuz why not

LogicoftheVI

Smash Journeyman
I would like to announce my shame in confirming here because the pre-game thread stated to confirm privately in the PMs and I didn't read that and people are still confirming. Sorry in advance
I just finished another one of these games on MC and figured rules were the same. Now that I know they are different I guess I'll go read them.

Top Bottom