• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

toggle for classic sf inputs

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Pleaseee Sakurai, can you add a toggle to remove them for people who don't want them! The one v one "always facing the enemy" solution is ok, but I still see issues with it. I really just want normal smash controls for Ryu. Clasic inputs really mess with gameplay.

Who agrees?
And anyone think this is at all a possibility?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pleaseee Sakurai, can you add a toggle to remove them for people who don't want them! The one v one "always facing the enemy" solution is ok, but I still see issues with it. I really just want normal smash controls for Ryu. Clasic inputs really mess with gameplay.

Who agrees?
And anyone think this is at all a possibility?
You want even more casuals spamming full-power shoryukens everywhere?

Inputs are no more difficult to use here than they are in any other fighting game. Having one character use them can be a great way for someone to learn them and make easing into other fighting games easier. Ryu is the easiest Street Fighter character to pick up, but that series universally has a higher skill floor than Smash.

As it is, you can use all of Ryu's specials with normal smash inputs. He won't be at his full potential but the option is there. I personally use a mix of both when I play him, SF inputs for offensive use and normal inputs for recovery or time-sensitive Hadokens.

Oh, and Super Street Fighter IV 3D shows why it's a bad idea to just simplify inputs without some drawback. You could assign any given move on a character to a touch-screen button, and this let you bypass charge times for moves that required them, letting you spam powerful moves with impunity.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You want even more casuals spamming full-power shoryukens everywhere?

Inputs are no more difficult to use here than they are in any other fighting game. Having one character use them can be a great way for someone to learn them and make easing into other fighting games easier. Ryu is the easiest Street Fighter character to pick up, but that series universally has a higher skill floor than Smash.

As it is, you can use all of Ryu's specials with normal smash inputs. He won't be at his full potential but the option is there. I personally use a mix of both when I play him, SF inputs for offensive use and normal inputs for recovery or time-sensitive Hadokens.

Oh, and Super Street Fighter IV 3D shows why it's a bad idea to just simplify inputs without some drawback. You could assign any given move on a character to a touch-screen button, and this let you bypass charge times for moves that required them, letting you spam powerful moves with impunity.
Removing the classic inputs would remove the powerful versions of his attacks. And the issue isnt theyre too hard to use, if anything its too easy. I always mis-input his attacks cause i play with quick movements. Having to slow down my control stick movements makes smash less fun. Its a stupid mechanic and it shouldnt be mandatory. It ruins ryu in smash for me and many others. And last i checked, smash bros isnt every other fighting game. Classic fighting game inputs dont belong in smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Removing the classic inputs would remove the powerful versions of his attacks. And the issue isnt theyre too hard to use, if anything its too easy. I always mis-input his attacks cause i play with quick movements. Having to slow down my control stick movements makes smash less fun. Its a stupid mechanic and it shouldnt be mandatory. It ruins ryu in smash for me and many others. And last i checked, smash bros isnt every other fighting game. Classic fighting game inputs dont belong in smash.
Doing things as you say would just straight nerf Ryu, and make him lose his Shakunetsu because you can't smash a neutral input. The way I play Ryu seldom requires rapid joystick shifting for movement, since he's more deliberate than most. I very rarely mis-input a tatsumaki in Smash 4.

It just sounds like Ryu isn't for you. Maybe someone like Fox would better fit your need for a frenetic pace.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Doing things as you say would just straight nerf Ryu, and make him lose his Shakunetsu because you can't smash a neutral input. The way I play Ryu seldom requires rapid joystick shifting for movement, since he's more deliberate than most. I very rarely mis-input a tatsumaki in Smash 4.

It just sounds like Ryu isn't for you. Maybe someone like Fox would better fit your need for a frenetic pace.
what one is shakunetsu?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The red, multi-hitting fireball done with a half-circle motion instead of a quarter-circle.
Well that could be done with pressing b+a at the same time. Also doing that is absolutely awful. Thats the move where instead of shooting a fireball i do a hurricane kick. Its godawful. And by the way, inputting incorrect inputs happen to me when im simply turning around and trying to do a hurricane kick, or turning and doing a hadouken. Instead he'll just do the wrong attack, sometimes even doing a shoyrouken. Its awful in every way.

I dont know how you could possibly play smash 4 without accidentally inputting things all the time. its so irritating. Classic inputs are not how smash bros is played at all. i have no idea why ryu was built around them. The whole point of smash is attacks are really easy to do for everyone, and that makes fights and combos really fast paced. Theres a reason people play smash over other fighting games.

And his moveset can easily be rebalanced to get rid of the inputs if there were a toggle. Its just 4 attacks that need slight re balancing.
I love his moveset, its beautiful, but those inputs just ruin my life.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well that could be done with pressing b+a at the same time. Also doing that is absolutely awful. Thats the move where instead of shooting a fireball i do a hurricane kick. Its godawful. And by the way, inputting incorrect inputs happen to me when im simply turning around and trying to do a hurricane kick, or turning and doing a hadouken. Instead he'll just do the wrong attack, sometimes even doing a shoyrouken. Its awful in every way.

I dont know how you could possibly play smash 4 without accidentally inputting things all the time. its so irritating. Classic inputs are not how smash bros is played at all. i have no idea why ryu was built around them. The whole point of smash is attacks are really easy to do for everyone, and that makes fights and combos really fast paced. Theres a reason people play smash over other fighting games.

And his moveset can easily be rebalanced to get rid of the inputs if there were a toggle. Its just 4 attacks that need slight re balancing.
I love his moveset, its beautiful, but those inputs just ruin my life.
Well I can, and pros can. If they couldn't he would not be so high on the tier list. And you can't use A+B because that's a Smash Attack shortcut.

There are 60+ other characters to play in Smash that don't require inputs, if you can't stomach how one plays you should have no trouble finding another. Ryu is not a fast-paced character, period. Not in Street Fighter, and not in Smash. The inputs make him unique, and familiar to Street Fighter players moving to Smash, so in a way he's a bridge for both kinds of players moving between games.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Well I can, and pros can. If they couldn't he would not be so high on the tier list. And you can't use A+B because that's a Smash Attack shortcut.

There are 60+ other characters to play in Smash that don't require inputs, if you can't stomach how one plays you should have no trouble finding another. Ryu is not a fast-paced character, period. Not in Street Fighter, and not in Smash. The inputs make him unique, and familiar to Street Fighter players moving to Smash, so in a way he's a bridge for both kinds of players moving between games.
The idea of putting inputs in smash makes no sense. I'm sorry but it does not belong in the game. I don't know what Sakurai was thnking

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Smash is a game about fanservice. Having the SF inputs serves the fans of Street Fighter who wish to try Ryu. It's that simple.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Smash is a game about fanservice. Having the SF inputs serves the fans of Street Fighter who wish to try Ryu. It's that simple.
Ya but we're playing smash not street fighter. Guests in someone's home should assimilate. Having Ryu in smash is fan service enough. But there should be a toggle, that's all. Solves all the problems.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ya but we're playing smash not street fighter. Guests in someone's home should assimilate. Having Ryu in smash is fan service enough. But there should be a toggle, that's all. Solves all the problems.
You can put it, but everybody will know they're gimping themselves. Especially when up against a Ryu not using the toggle.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
You can put it, but everybody will know they're gimping themselves. Especially when up against a Ryu not using the toggle.
It would significantly improve my ryu game lol.

And i would still say that it wouldnt be THAT hard to rebalance a toggled off ryu. its only 4 attacks that need adjustment.

Top Bottom