• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
To start, the hostility is greatly unwarranted.
That said, I did miss one Mario character. That doesn't change much of anything.
I don't know in what realm Metroidvania's- which actually use a lot of RPG and shooter elements- can be considered platform characters, and if they, then Zelda is an RPG, due to the acquisition of weapons, boss battles, progression of intensity, upgrades to the character (armor). Neither of these classifications makes any sense, even more in juxtaposition when you to the claim that subgenres of RPGs matter.
I see fewer people ask for platform characters (with exactly two exceptions- Crash and Rayman), than I do a large variety of RPGs (Lloyd, Sora, Isaac,

As far as variety of gameplay- that's really up to the individual. With the exceptions of Dr Mario & Daisy, there is no overlap of platform characters. In addition to RPG characters being favored for echoes/clones (Roy, Lucina, Chrom, Lucas). (Also, if we are counting Metroid, we inherently are counting Castlevania and Megaman...but I just cannot come to the idea that these make any sense in the platform category, particularly in something like Metroid, wherein 3/8 released titles/stories are first person shooters*).
*The four main Metroid games, 3 Prime, and Other M... I don't count remakes, but I may be missing a title.

I do think I'm being fair grouping RPGs together, since I personally disregard sub genres in this context, but also because I am not subdividing each Platform character (in which case, we would have significantly more variation, given majority of Mario characters being given their own games, since you seem to want to count Mario- Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island, DK Country, the original Donkey Kong games, Warioware, Dr Mario-- which accounts to more than half of the Mario characters, and arguably Daisy, who is much more recognizable from the Mario Sports/Party/Kart series).

It really is absurd to count either Mario or Pokemon as one genre- in Mario alone, considering there is every type of series under them.
Mario Party, Mario Sports, Mario Kart, Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi, are all considered completely different series, with each making a substantial amount of money on their own.

I'm not saying it matters if there are more Platform or RPG characters, that was brought up by you. I'm simply stating there are a substantial amount- nearly one third or double, the amount of RPG characters than Platform. Those are the numbers.
If you think my comment was hostile, that wasn't my intention.

However, I call bs when I see it

Double or third the amount
That's just a blatant exaggeration and I literally showed you why that was not the case, and I said, even IF it was, it's still fairly close which you dismissed. Sure, there may be like 4 less than JRPGs without counting Metroidvanias, but that doesn't really help your case either, since both woule be unfairly ''overrepresented'' by your standards.

There is like
20+ for both platformers and JRPG
meanwhile, 0 for FPS (unless you count Metroid) and Horror Genre. Or heck, even Puzzle or Beat'em up games, but platformers for some reason get all the attention when it comes to ''unfair treatment''. Sounds bias as hell.

The fact there are more clones that overlap in moveset within the JRPG reps should show you that platformers were indeed given more priority, and Sakurai said that swordies are easier to program/develop so I don't get what are you trying to imply here since it actually goes against your own argument.

About Metroidvanias, this is what I got when I looked it up:
''Typically based on two-dimensional, sidescrolling platform gameplay, Metroidvania games feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities within the game.''
It's basically a non-linear platformer, not rocket science if you ask me. It's like when people dismiss Smash of not being a fighting game because it isn't one in the traditional sense.
Anyway, How I see it, Metroid and Castlevania are more platformers than Zelda is to RPGs, but whatever, let's not count them for the sake of the arguement.
That's still 23 vs. 27, (even though like 4 JRPGs chars share Marth's moveset) which means both are in the same spot.

Not sure why you said that you don't care if you took the time to make a whole essay about it though, but agree to disagree.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you think my comment was hostile, that wasn't my intention.

However, I call bs when I see it

That's just a blatant exaggeration and I literally showed you why that was not the case, and I said, even IF it was, it's still fairly close which you dismissed. Sure, there may be like 4 less than JRPGs without counting Metroidvanias, but that doesn't really help your case either, since both woule be unfairly ''overrepresented'' by your standards.

There is like
20+ for both platformers and JRPG
meanwhile, 0 for FPS (unless you count Metroid) and Horror Genre. Or heck, even Puzzle or Beat'em up games, but platformers for some reason get all the attention when it comes to ''unfair treatment''. Sounds bias as hell.

The fact there are more clones that overlap in moveset within the JRPG reps should show you that platformers were indeed given more priority, and Sakurai said that swordies are easier to program/develop so I don't get what are you trying to imply here since it actually goes against your own argument.

About Metroidvanias, this is what I got when I looked it up:
''Typically based on two-dimensional, sidescrolling platform gameplay, Metroidvania games feature a large interconnected world map the player can explore, though access to parts of the world is often limited by doors or other obstacles that can only be passed once the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities within the game.''
It's basically a non-linear platformer, not rocket science if you ask me. It's like when people dismiss Smash of not being a fighting game because it isn't one in the traditional sense.
Anyway, How I see it, Metroid and Castlevania are more platformers than Zelda is to RPGs, but whatever, let's not count them for the sake of the arguement.
That's still 23 vs. 27, (even though like 4 JRPGs chars share Marth's moveset) which means both are in the same spot.

Not sure why you said that you don't care if you took the time to make a whole essay about it though, but agree to disagree.
I appreciate the clarification of tone. I'm glad we aren't escalating hostility.

I dismissed it because you are not accepted the numbers I showed.
If you want to contest the argument that Mario should count in platform, I'll listen. I'm really not sure how you could call it such.
If you do, but you don't count Pokemon as RPG, I'd like to know as well.

If you want to make the argument that Metroidvania's count (as you did), I will read it.
Unlocking doors, weapons, and upgrading until the end of the game is ultimately a lot easier. Those are the standards of an RPG game. The shooter elements are self evident. Clearly, since I made the mistake of adding Megaman into my platform characters, I do see the argument that Simon, Richter, and Megaman have strong platform elements. I just don't think it makes sense if we aren't including every game that includes level up battle dynamics.
However, that would absolutely mean that Zelda is just as much RPG, which is,
"A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as simply a role-playing game or an RPG as well as a computer role-playing game or a CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world, usually involving some form of character development by way of recording statistics."- by what I think is your same source for Metroidvania's.

As for numbers, I showed my math- I was off by one Mario character, but we aren't counting Mario characters or Pokemon characters.
TOTALS:
So the count is either: Platform 7 to RPG 15, or Platform 15 and RPG 26.
Neither favors the notion that there are more Platform characters- but in fact, it shows that RPG characters have double, or one and a half times, more characters than platform.
I missed one Mario character, but without your math shown, I have no idea how you got the numbers you got. Removing Metroidvania's is removing 7 characters- Four Metroid, 2 Castlevania, and 1 Megaman. I guess this is the crux of our argument.
I am curious- what do you consider to be the main genres of gaming?

Am I missing something else? Without counting Mario or Pokemon
It's Platform 7 to RPG 15, or
Counting both Mario and Pokemon
It's Platform 16 to RPG 26.
I suppose we can debate if that is considered 'close,' but that seems unnecessary.

Again, because I don't count Metroidvania's as Platform the count of Platform
- Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight-Ice Climbers, Sonic, Banjo Kazooie, and apparently I added Megaman here.
Perhaps we should just agree to disagree on genre, but this is very much how I see it, and I know how you see it.

Still...
It also does not address the fact that over half of all DLC characters, ever, were from RPGs (with a whopping Platform count of 1- or 2 if we count Plant). Do you really think that is not a strong favortism to the RPG series? Half DLC as anything is a LOT of a single genre.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Ed Boon just announced that the MK series has officially passed 73 MILLION copies sold. It’s currently standing head and shoulders above any other fighting game franchise.

Mortal Kombat - 73 M
Super Smash Bros. - 65.1M
Tekken - 51 M
Street Fighter - 46 M

Surely it’s only a matter of time before the best-selling fighting game franchise of all time makes it into Smash, right?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ed Boon just announced that the MK series has officially passed 73 MILLION copies sold. It’s currently standing head and shoulders above any other fighting game franchise.

Mortal Kombat - 73 M
Super Smash Bros. - 65.1M
Tekken - 51 M
Street Fighter - 46 M

Surely it’s only a matter of time before the best-selling fighting game franchise of all time makes it into Smash, right?
Eh, I'm one of those who cannot see the next game being 'more' unless it is literally an updated port.
To me, it's now or never.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I knew that Mortal Kombat passed up Street Fighter and Tekken in lifetime sales after awhile, but not Smash. Even as an MK fan, I hate that it’s at the top when it’s the most anti consumer of those franchises now. Maybe covid helped with MK11’s sales more than we know.

Regardless, of course some fans will use those numbers as an excuse to say “This is why NRS games don’t need to be supported as long as other fighting games!”, which I guess they’re not wrong in a way, but doesn’t feel right still how those games aren’t allowed to breathe.

Like we know MK only has a niche fandom in Japan, but even without much Japan support, MK shows that big scenes in the West is all you need for a fighting game to be successful. Oh, and people that will buy into all the microtransactions and everything.

Don’t forget too how base game MK11 had horrific crunch involved and they basically got away with that. I hope the next MK sees diminishing returns.

I don't know about Tekken 7 or Street Fighter 5’s sales, but MK11 isn’t passing up Smash Ultimate at least. Not by a long shot.

By the way, just a nitpick here, but it’s offputting how like everyone in the animated film has square chins. I don't mind the artstyle which is reminiscent of the DC animated films, but it can be cheap at times with details like that. Definitely took getting used to with MK at first.

image0.png

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

This I would actually be okay with. Granted, I would wait 2-3 years after launch to get it after what MK11 did, but still, prioritizing it over Injustice would be nice and sensible under the circumstances, assuming this news is true.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I always looked at InJustice as filler fan service, DC isn't known to capture hype in the video game market.
The Batman Arkham series was hugely successful. Cautiously optimistic for Gotham Knights too. I agree with your statement when it comes to fighting games though at least. Injustice makes both Batman and Superman (and their subordinates within the Justice League) not well written too as a result.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
If this rumor is true, I could definitely see them going with Shang Tsung’s ending. Especially if Cary Tagawa can still reprise his role. It would probably be the safest option they could take, unless they completely fast forward the story back to the first game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Batman Arkham series was hugely successful. Cautiously optimistic for Gotham Knights too. I agree with your statement when it comes to fighting games though at least. Injustice makes both Batman and Superman (and their subordinates within the Justice League) not well written too as a result.
But, DC games in general are forgettable. They may have some hype but they really just come and go in the most trendy way possible. There isn't any lasting magic to them.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Man if you think that's bad, you should read the prequel Injustice comics...Ho boy...
I have unfortunately, which only added to my feelings on their portrayal. Not only did Injustice help make the dark/evil Superman trope more common which I hate to my core now, but it bastardized Batman for me as well when I started to break it down. People don’t really seem to point out Batman’s odd characterization as much though. He basically considered Superman pure evil after the incident and worked with the government to stop him. Like you know Batman doesn’t kill, yadayada, but I think he’d be quicker to understand Superman’s feelings about it. It just came off as Batman caring more about the Joker then all those people Joker killed, or Superman’s own grief.

But it's a fighting game, so gotta give some contrived reason for the League to be divided and fight amongst itself on a big scale.

Injustice is getting an animated movie portrayal now too which I'll just ignore. If there ever is a 3rd game, my potential interest in it will depend mainly on the roster, but it'll never hold a candle to Mortal Kombat as a legacy series at the end of the day.

But, DC games in general are forgettable. They may have some hype but they really just come and go in the most trendy way possible. There isn't any lasting magic to them.
Have you played any of the Arkham games? I would have to disagree regardless, at least as far as that series. While a little dated now, Arkham City's magic stays with me to this day, much like MK9 which came out the same year.

Ironically too, your description more or less sums up modern MK for me; something that just comes and goes in the most trendy way possible. At least, that's the impression I got from MK11. I've been a diehard MK fan since childhood and I'll live and breathe it for as long as I live because I've invested so much time into the series, and I know the series has potential to be the greatest fighting game out there. It has all the tools in fan feedback, gameplay know-how, in-game content, colorful cast of characters, and studio backing.

However, the franchise (game and other media alike) suffers from glaring inconsistencies that needs to be addressed if MK wants to the untouchable top dog it thinks it is. Fix the awful in-game animations, develop one-note characters with consistent goals, and the reason why I got ink MK in the first place, the expansive lore that gets crapped on and wildly all over the place that the writers and perhaps even the creator simply do not care for anymore. The movie reboot suffers the same way, making the same mistakes as the recent MK games with the nonsensical power scaling and mishandling of previously established characters. Modern MK writers think they're smarter than they actually are, and when they try to explain something, they just insult your intelligence.

You can boast the MK series' overall sales like the numbers that was posted here earlier, but I care about quality most of all, which I just haven't really been getting from MK in awhile. And if you think DC isn't all that, then they should stop making MK like DC; stop with all the time travel stuff and multiple timeline crap. That's where they started trying to make it too comic book-y.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Personally, I was always hoping that they’d move away from Injustice. I honestly like DC well enough, but Injustice’s storyline is just plain dumb. It could have been interesting if they approached the story with some kind of moral ambiguity, as the whole “should superheroes kill?” question is actually somewhat interesting, but Superman, and most members of the regime, are so unbelievably evil to the point of being unrecognizable. Need I bring up the fact that Clark ****ing murders a twelve year old simply for speaking out against him. That crosses the line for most villains, but the fact that it’s Superman is just absurd.

If they were going to make another DC fighting game, I would hope that they’d just drop the “Injustice” label entirely. Give us a new universe, with a new story, and a much brighter tone that actually fits the DCU.

But hey, going straight to MK12 works for me. I agree with @Ridley_Prime’s take quite a bit. I pretty much always buy MK games on the day of release and I always enjoy them quite a bit, but that’s largely because I’ve been playing the games my whole life and I’ve grown attached to the characters and lore. Also, the gameplay of MK9, X, and 11 is pretty damn solid. But the way that they’ve handled the story in the past few entries, particularly MK11 (and MK2021 my god) is just sad. The wasted plot points and inconsistencies are baffling. They really hyped up Dark Raiden during MKX only for him to literally disappear in chapter two of MK11. They brought in the Kombat Kids for MKX, only for Takeda and Kung Jin to be completely absent in the next game (also Jin somehow went from being Lao’s cousin to being his nephew). Sindel went from being one of the series’ most complex and dynamic characters, to a one dimensional antagonist. I could go on. It’s wild because MK is still applauded for being the pinnacle of fighting game stories, yet they’re pulling crap like this. Also yeah, the multiverse stuff is just dumb and completely unnecessary.

Yet, I still have some optimism for MK’s future. It seems that a lot of long time fans had problems with the way MK11’s story and characters were handled, so hopefully they put some more thought into it this time and drop the multiverse stuff entirely.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Have you played any of the Arkham games? I would have to disagree regardless, at least as far as that series. While a little dated now, Arkham City's magic stays with me to this day, much like MK9 which came out the same year.

Ironically too, your description more or less sums up modern MK for me; something that just comes and goes in the most trendy way possible. At least, that's the impression I got from MK11. I've been a diehard MK fan since childhood and I'll live and breathe it for as long as I live because I've invested so much time into the series, and I know the series has potential to be the greatest fighting game out there. It has all the tools in fan feedback, gameplay know-how, in-game content, colorful cast of characters, and studio backing.

However, the franchise (game and other media alike) suffers from glaring inconsistencies that needs to be addressed if MK wants to the untouchable top dog it thinks it is. Fix the awful in-game animations, develop one-note characters with consistent goals, and the reason why I got ink MK in the first place, the expansive lore that gets crapped on and wildly all over the place that the writers and perhaps even the creator simply do not care for anymore. The movie reboot suffers the same way, making the same mistakes as the recent MK games with the nonsensical power scaling and mishandling of previously established characters. Modern MK writers think they're smarter than they actually are, and when they try to explain something, they just insult your intelligence.

You can boast the MK series' overall sales like the numbers that was posted here earlier, but I care about quality most of all, which I just haven't really been getting from MK in awhile. And if you think DC isn't all that, then they should stop making MK like DC; stop with all the time travel stuff and multiple timeline crap. That's where they started trying to make it too comic book-y.
I seen my bro play them. Wasn't a fan of them in terms of visuals. I just feel like I get enough of DC from daily media. I have to disagree with your notion on recent MK games being trendy tho. Nah MK9 and MKX have strong legacy like the games that came before, Trilogy, Deception. Now for MK11, I absolutely agree. MK11 is what f'd up everything, the game being a fan service wet dream and extremely trendy. MK9 and MKX are spiritually MK. MK11 is a travesty out of no where trend for money grabbing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have unfortunately, which only added to my feelings on their portrayal. Not only did Injustice help make the dark/evil Superman trope more common which I hate to my core now, but it bastardized Batman for me as well when I started to break it down. People don’t really seem to point out Batman’s odd characterization as much though. He basically considered Superman pure evil after the incident and worked with the government to stop him. Like you know Batman doesn’t kill, yadayada, but I think he’d be quicker to understand Superman’s feelings about it. It just came off as Batman caring more about the Joker then all those people Joker killed, or Superman’s own grief.

But it's a fighting game, so gotta give some contrived reason for the League to be divided and fight amongst itself on a big scale.

Injustice is getting an animated movie portrayal now too which I'll just ignore. If there ever is a 3rd game, my potential interest in it will depend mainly on the roster, but it'll never hold a candle to Mortal Kombat as a legacy series at the end of the day.
Batman seemed like he was so much against killing that I'm convinced he would lose his **** if someone swatted a mosquito or would stop a predator from killing its prey like a lion killing a gazelle given the fact he was *****ing about Superman killing parademons.

That's also not getting down to the fact he proceeds to give Harley the free pass despite her involvement in Metropolis but apparently deems his best friend beyond redemption. Oh and Mrs. Hyprocite aka Black Canary who apparently doesn't seem to have any problem with Harley despite her involvement in the greatest acts of terrorism but is against Superman (I get he killed her husband but shouldn't she also be hating Harley for what she did? Even then they CHOSE to get involved in stopping Superman when they could have stayed out)? Don't get me started with Superboy too who apparently gave Superman **** over killing the greatest terrorist known but treated like he was some unfortunate victim and rather than comforting the closest thing he has to a brother/father he proceeds to try to trap him in the phantom zone with the teen titans backing him.

All this easily being avoided if Batman was the friend there for Superman in his time of need and comfort getting him the therapy and help he needed and accepting not everyone is mentally as strong as him but instead chose to let his ego get the better of him.

I honestly consider Batman the true villain of Injustice. But to say the very least...Everyone in Injustice are just plain unlikeable except maybe for Plastic Man.

Enough ranting though.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Deathstroke I liked in Injustice at least for being his usual self, but he didn't return in IJ2 for some reason even though he wasn't dead.

I seen my bro play them. Wasn't a fan of them in terms of visuals. I just feel like I get enough of DC from daily media. I have to disagree with your notion on recent MK games being trendy tho. Nah MK9 and MKX have strong legacy like the games that came before, Trilogy, Deception. Now for MK11, I absolutely agree. MK11 is what f'd up everything, the game being a fan service wet dream and extremely trendy. MK9 and MKX are spiritually MK. MK11 is a travesty out of no where trend for money grabbing.
That's what I meant actually; MK11 mainly. MKX I was fine with, even if it disappointed me in some areas, but more thankful for it in hindsight after MK11. X was when the writing started to struggle though and made me realize that MK9 only got by with it because of the MK 1-3 nostalgia, but MK11 just did everything worse than before. That's also reflected in current MK media as pointed out with the movie reboot, even if the animated movies are somewhere decent.

MK will always be successful to a certain extent because violence sells, but would be nice to not have the most hack writing and direction I've ever seen, and for it just to have some of what I used to love about the series again. Until then, I don't care how much it sells. Just feels like it and its characters at large have been dumbed down to appeal to a broader audience.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Deathstroke I liked in Injustice at least for being his usual self, but he didn't return in IJ2 for some reason even though he wasn't dead.
I would have thought if anything Bane would had been cut. Surprised he actually returned but Deathstroke didn't given the popularity of that character.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And to make matters worse was replaced by Deadshot whose like a C lister in comparison. I know there was the Suicide Squad movie at the time, but still. Most of the cuts for that matter I did not agree with going from the first game to the 2nd one, which was part of what turned me off from getting IJ2 altogether. Most of those cut characters being my mains or secondaries had to do with it too, but even with the Batman gallery bias, the first one had a better overall DC roster and that's a hill I will proudly die on. If an Injustice 3 ever happens that presumably brings back the obvious fan favorites from the first one that were cut, I'd be cool with that as mentioned, but also as mentioned, it'd be just as well if there was another DC game (fighting or otherwise) that didn't use the Injustice brand and just moved on from it.

Oh yeah, another thing about MK that kills it for me now is the lack of availability for older titles. MK9 I would love to play again on current systems, but can't do it. Freddy Krueger and his rights expiring seems to be the go-to excuse for why game wasn’t ported to modern systems, but even if that were the case, could just take him out and most would be happy to play the game again. Give the MK9 online servers rollback netcode like they did X and 11 on top of that, and it'd be a steal. There was the cancelled HD remakes of MK1-3 too. A certain owning publisher just doesn't see the value in classic MK. If we got a collection of the originals on like the Switch it would sell like hotcakes.

Edit: Fans grasping for clues continues.

C5A54A60-C41D-4FC3-BA41-57D71AC63ABC.jpeg

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just saw MK Legends: Battle of the Realms earlier. It was great, possibly better than Scorpion's Revenge even. Like with that film, a fresh direction was taken with the writing. They handled Scorpion and younger Sub-Zero's relationship better from the get-go also, and Raiden competing in the tournament by sacrificing his godhood was a breath of fresh air. Beyond the MK2 tournament, the stuff with Shinnok was crazy too which is about all I can say without spoiling. The end fight makes Kronika look even more pathetic by comparison.

And while Johnny Cage didn't get to do that much, his presence was still appreciated all the more. He's the heart and soul of MK with the comic relief moments, and MK 2021 was really missing something without him, even though they tried to have Kano fill in that niche.

Probably wouldn't expect another MK Legends sequel though unless Onaga gets resurrected or something later on. Battle of the Realms had a certain finality to it without feeling like it was leading into something else. I wish the hacks at Netherrealm Studio who do the game stories could be replaced by these animated film writers.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The bit regarding Shao Kahn's body being missing and Shang Tsung still being alive though kinda does hint at sequel bait and expecting if we get a third film it'll be based off the plot of Mortal Kombat 3.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It’s interesting how only the first live action movie actually has Liu Kang kill Shang Tsung, while all the other times he spares him after beating him, unless you count MK11 Aftermath I guess. It’s weird though how Shang didn’t get his youth back in this film which he always did by MK2. Seeing him in an MK3 storyline would be nice though at least after how MK9 did him dirty in that area.

I will say I’m still getting tired of the usual tropes of certain characters dying, but it’s Mortal Kombat, so guess it can’t be helped.
Kung Lao dying I pretty much called from the start, and Stryker and Kintaro’s deaths didn’t surprise me either.

Oh, they pretty much retconned Cetrion in the animated universe with her not being amongst the Elder Gods. lol

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
MK9: Gets neck snapped by Shao Kahn
MK11: Thrown into the Sea of Blood
MK11 Aftermatch: Neck snapped again
MK (2021): Soul devoured by Shang Tsung
MK Legends BotR: Torn in half by Shao Kahn

Kung Lao is pretty much the Krillin/Yamcha or Kenny of Mortal Kombat. LMAO.

I also knew Stryker was only in the film just to get himself killed.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
One thing I will admit that came to bite this sequel in the ass was the fact Liu Kang could not beat Goro in the previous film. It just makes it contrived when he’s suddenly able to beat everyone else in the following film. Either he got stronger without explanation, or Goro > Shao Kahn and a bunch of others. Not to mention too Kahn handled Liu like a fly at the beginning of the film.

People whine when Scorpion is portrayed as OP like in the previous film that was centered around him, but when Liu Kang gets the treatment it’s fine because he’s the usual intended protagonist, even if it doesn’t make sense in a certain context. The whole “your destiny was not to defeat Goro, but Shao Kahn” is a head scratcher. Either you’re the MK champion or you’re not.

But when that’s the worst I have to complain about compared to NRS game stories or another botched live action attempt, it’s not too bad still.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

More Injustice probably. Yay...

Top Bottom