• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing that keeps MK from having more influence in Japan is CERO, which basically pretends that the recent games don't exist (presumably because censoring/editing them would be too costly).

The only thing that could change that is the rumored collection for the Klassic trilogy that may arrive at some point, but until then the organisation will have to eventually stop its self-imposed lockdown around sometime next year.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The only thing that keeps MK from having more influence in Japan is CERO, which basically pretends that the recent games don't exist (presumably because censoring/editing them would be too costly).
That's not exactly a bad point on CERO's part. That's a huge amount of censorship needed and takes away massively from the point of the game. WB refusing to play ball is highly justified here. That's why second-hand sales more or less exist instead. That's the best that can be done without neutering the game's actual reason people want to buy it(and even rather extreme violence wasn't too bad, as MK characters existed in crossovers too). It has a niche market in Japan, meaning that it's pretty much on CERO.

With CERO practically gone, things can change. Though that depends entirely on if another company does something similar. PC aside, when releasing it on another company's system, there's still stuff that needs to be talked about. Assumedly NoJ wouldn't have an issue with it anyway, but we don't know till it happens. With no real data on it to make a conclusion of how well they've worked with actual console owners on releases and all, it's hard to tell.

The only thing that could change that is the rumored collection for the Klassic trilogy that may arrive at some point, but until then the organisation will have to eventually stop its self-imposed lockdown around sometime next year.
Not much would change. The reason it's "banned"(not entirely accurate) would be the same. The 2D games are way easier to fix up. 3D ones got worse and worse as time went on. It was cheesy in MK4, but once Deadly Alliance hit, where the graphics started to look like more realistic people, they had to deal with a harsher mindset. It was no longer because of "way over the top for its time", it had much more realistic assets and massively violence, blood, and gore. Even 4 had that issue to quite a degree. Scorpion's scorpion fatality alone was insane. They couldn't really represent the gore without it looking pretty bad(awesome for its time, but not remotely realistic in a ironic fashion. Since they used real like people to make the sprites, yet it looked way less realistic than MK4 and above) overall, so it makes sense those games weren't anywhere near the same level of issues.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, Mortal Kombat may be niche in Japan, but it does have a fanbase there.
I know- and it has that audience because we live in a global world. No single source caused this.
Mortal Kombat is a media franchise- you can go watch an incredible Mortal Kombat series on youtube right now!
... not to mention, which I assume everyone in this thread knows... the epic movies from the 90s.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I never thought I'd wind up seeing this at some point in my life.
I love Mortal Kombat in part due to its crossovers.
It was the best fighting game of crossovers until Smash.
I think at this point, that alone is enough to make Scorpion deserving.

DC characters, Horror Characters, the NINJA TURTLES! I mean- Ed Boon does it better than Kingdom Hearts.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tbh, Scorpion lost some of his previous appeal by becoming another corporate icon, interesting as that was with Daffy. Doesn't help I guess that seeing anything MK with the WB logo still makes me kinda nauseous too. Midway actually cared about the fans unlike what you see now in comparison (not knocking the animated movie, just speaking in general).

D

Deleted member

Well, consider the following: it was a hassle to get Crush 40's :ultsonic: songs back in here, and the Zebrahead one is still instrumental, IIRC.

I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be near-impossible to get 21 Savage or the Wiz Khalifa one. We'd be lucky to get Techno Syndrome as it is.
I thought getting songs from Crush 40 would be more easy than getting one song from Wiz Khalifa since well.. Wiz is more mainstream than Crush 40 (not sure if he's still mainstream though)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since this was bumped and since I saw Scorpion's Revenge recently, will say it was actually better than I thought. Had some of the kind of issues and things I expected from another alternate take on MK1, and while we got our usual vengeful angry specter man, they still made him more redeemable than how he was written in the NRS games for the most part, thus making him someone you actually wanted to root for during the fights. He was pretty OP as you'd expect to be portrayed now, but the main fights like with Sub-Zero and Quan Chi were still enjoyable. The other heroes had their moments too, even if they were kinda just witnesses to Scorpion killing half the time, but I still give this animated film a solid word compared to the story writing of the last couple games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought getting songs from Crush 40 would be more easy than getting one song from Wiz Khalifa since well.. Wiz is more mainstream than Crush 40 (not sure if he's still mainstream though)
Sure, but most of Sonic's most noteworthy songs are licensed anyway (at least the title songs), so the costs can add up quickly. Even the first two games' soundtracks aren't composed in-house (J-Pop artist), and MJ's involvement with Sonic 3's has made some of the songs too expensive to even facilitate rereleasing the game.

Since this was bumped and since I saw Scorpion's Revenge recently, will say it was actually better than I thought. Had some of the kind of issues and things I expected from another alternate take on MK1, and while we got our usual vengeful angry specter man, they still made him more redeemable than how he was written in the NRS games for the most part, thus making him someone you actually wanted to root for during the fights. He was pretty OP as you'd expect to be portrayed now, but the main fights like with Sub-Zero and Quan Chi were still enjoyable. The other heroes had their moments too, even if they were kinda just witnesses to Scorpion killing half the time, but I still give this animated film a solid word compared to the story writing of the last couple games.
Sounds like it's better than the 90s animated series then, I could try it out at some point.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Tbh, Scorpion lost some of his previous appeal by becoming another corporate icon, interesting as that was with Daffy. Doesn't help I guess that seeing anything MK with the WB logo still makes me kinda nauseous too. Midway actually cared about the fans unlike what you see now in comparison (not knocking the animated movie, just speaking in general).
Have you... have you seen the stellar, LIVE ACTION, Youtube series of Mortal Kombat?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sounds like it's better than the 90s animated series then, I could try it out at some point.
...I mean, to be fair, most of the adaptions bar the second live action movie are better than Defenders of the Realm.

DOTR only had a few notable things anyway; It created Quan Chi. It actually managed to still make the characters interesting by making all of the heroes bar maybe Liu Kang at best jerks, while the villains got along better overall(had more charisma, basically), and it showed you could still soften it up and get halfway decent ratings. It was rated better than Annihilation. Which isn't surprising, since it handled the character stories significantly better than the movie ever did. It didn't overload it with characters overall, and was basically an alternate take after the first movie. Only problem is it didn't last long enough to capitalize on everything, due to not being a great show overall. The censoring was necessary, obviously, and in some ways it was done better than one would expect. For instance, having Scorpion's spear stab someone with no blood is just dumb. It would cause blood. Having it wrap around someone? Yes, it's not accurate but it makes sense logically to get the same effect in the end. It's stuff like this where they didn't simply censor it, but remade the ideas so they're kid-friendly in a more logical manner, that made the show somewhat okay. Incidentally it had good music.

One of my favorite ones is called Mortal Komedy, made by Phelous. It's a parody, as the name implies, and goes over all the oddities.

Like the tons of gameplay clones, the constant palette swaps. It even made sub-plots/specials that turned out to happen eventually. A time travel plot well before Armageddon, Sindel being an outright ***** at times(though she's definitely a lot better in Komedy as a person where she's just horrible in the reboot. Like, it's implied Shao Kahn might care about Mileena with how he reacted to her death. On the other hand, Sindel doesn't care about her family at all anymore). That's all I can remember though at the moment that later games happened to work with.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
...I mean, to be fair, most of the adaptions bar the second live action movie are better than Defenders of the Realm.

DOTR only had a few notable things anyway; It created Quan Chi. It actually managed to still make the characters interesting by making all of the heroes bar maybe Liu Kang at best jerks, while the villains got along better overall(had more charisma, basically), and it showed you could still soften it up and get halfway decent ratings. It was rated better than Annihilation. Which isn't surprising, since it handled the character stories significantly better than the movie ever did. It didn't overload it with characters overall, and was basically an alternate take after the first movie. Only problem is it didn't last long enough to capitalize on everything, due to not being a great show overall. The censoring was necessary, obviously, and in some ways it was done better than one would expect. For instance, having Scorpion's spear stab someone with no blood is just dumb. It would cause blood. Having it wrap around someone? Yes, it's not accurate but it makes sense logically to get the same effect in the end. It's stuff like this where they didn't simply censor it, but remade the ideas so they're kid-friendly in a more logical manner, that made the show somewhat okay. Incidentally it had good music.

One of my favorite ones is called Mortal Komedy, made by Phelous. It's a parody, as the name implies, and goes over all the oddities.

Like the tons of gameplay clones, the constant palette swaps. It even made sub-plots/specials that turned out to happen eventually. A time travel plot well before Armageddon, Sindel being an outright ***** at times(though she's definitely a lot better in Komedy as a person where she's just horrible in the reboot. Like, it's implied Shao Kahn might care about Mileena with how he reacted to her death. On the other hand, Sindel doesn't care about her family at all anymore). That's all I can remember though at the moment that later games happened to work with.
I'm just going to ask you for a list of all of your Mortal Kombat viewing- you seem to be the expert.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm just going to ask you for a list of all of your Mortal Kombat viewing- you seem to be the expert.
Nah, I'm no expert.

I've seen Mortal Komedy, the first movie, the second movie, and Defenders of the Realm. As well as the special cartoon movie that basically retold the first part of the first movie a bit.

Among the games, I've played Mortal Kombat 1, 2, 3, Ultimate 3, Trilogy(both versions), 4, Deception, Armageddon, and 9(A.K.A. the reboot). I do own all mentioned, but have yet to play X/X1(same game, just X1 has the DLC available on disc), 11. I don't think I bought Unchained though, an updated version of Deception. I also own Deadly Alliance(I think I played a slight bit, but not story mode, maybe?).

I haven't seen the other live action versions, nor read the comics. I do some research via wikis, though. I like to keep up with my lore. That's how I know about 11's major characters. Albeit, since I used Shao Kahn in a roleplay of sorts, I had to do some research to get his character down. I captured him well, and overall he turned more towards the side of good by that point(not an outright "turned good", just less evil, if you will). That was fun~

Speaking of Scorpion, I did roleplay as him too, but he was far less used and characterized. Probably the best joke was that he had "Hidden Deaths", a pun on hidden depths but referencing his secret fatalities.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually got around to watching and it was in fact really good, I loved the twists and I guess I was wrong about the animation. It worked and wasn't distracting, can't wait to see Kung Lao. A sequel is most likely in the works and hoping MK animation projects become a mainstay.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I actually got around to watching and it was in fact really good, I loved the twists and I guess I was wrong about the animation. It worked and wasn't distracting, can't wait to see Kung Lao. A sequel is most likely in the works and hoping MK animation projects become a mainstay.
Regarding the twists,

Scorpion cheapshot killing Goro out of nowhere with the spear and saving Liu Kang while doing so was kinda tilting at first, but with how haxx Scorpion on his own was already portrayed anyway, he probably would have beaten Goro in a fair fight, brutal as the shokan was against Jax and Liu.

Also laughed when Quan Chi tried to poison Shang Tsung but Shang saw through it and just held him at bay with his magic for Scorpion to deal with later. About time the Tsungster started getting some respect again who I always preferred over Quan.

D

Deleted member

Which Classic Mode title fits for Scorpion "Get Over Here!" or "Smash Kombat"?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Scorpion Classic Mode
Round 1-Scorpion (Blue) (Summit Ω form)
Round 2-:ultfalcon:(Black) (Boxing Ring Ω form)
Round 3-:ultwolf:(Black) (Suzaku Castle Ω form)
Bonus Stage
Stage 4-:ultrobin:(White) (Palutena's Temple Ω form)
Stage 5-:ultkirby:(x8)
Stage 6-:ultryu:(Default) (Final Destination)

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Scorpion Classic Mode
Round 1-Scorpion (Blue) (Summit Ω form)
Round 2-:ultfalcon:(Black) (Boxing Ring Ω form)
Round 3-:ultwolf:(Black) (Suzaku Castle Ω form)
Bonus Stage
Stage 4-:ultrobin:(White) (Palutena's Temple Ω form)
Stage 5-:ultkirby:(x8)
Stage 6-:ultryu:(Default) (Final Destination)
The final boss would be Dracula, a reference to Shang Tsung.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Smash Kombat sounds more awesome to me and I thought that the animated movie was really good. I just got done watching it and it was better than I was expecting it to be. It had lots of gore and action, and the characters were very well done. I did have some problems with it though and its short runtime meant that some plot points and characters were underdeveloped. But other than those things it was really enjoyable and I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Also, I would like to be added to the supporters list. I really like Mortal Kombat and it would be sick to see Scorpion make it into Smash (plus seeing Kirby yell "Get over here" alone makes me want to see this as a reality). I suck at Mortal Kombat, but the characters and lore intrigue me a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The final boss would be Dracula, a reference to Shang Tsung.
I have multiple Kirbys (with specific hats) got that covered, though Dracula works too and I put Ryu as Scorpion's final boss is Ryu because basically this is the fight between two big names fighting game characters clashing at once.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For "Get Over Here!", ones with unique command grabs or tether grabs could work. Giga Bowser could be a good boss at the end in that way, as it also mirrors Motaro who has a unique defense against a specific tactic.

As for those with different command grabs, we have Kirby, King Dedede, Yoshi, Samus, Dark Samus, Young Link, Toon Link, (Link at one point, but no longer counts), Isabelle, Villager technically has one with the Net, though it's kind of eh, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Ridley, and Bowser.

Did I miss any that don't have just a regular "grab with your hand with the basic throw command"? Since that's what I'm going for overall. I know there's a lot of Psychic throws which feel similar to Villager, but that can work too(coincidentally the psychics represent Ermac well enough).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What do you guys think would be the stage entrance for Scorpion?
What about the fatality?
Would he be like Ryu and Terry and always be facing forward?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Stage entrance would probably be either him entering out of the Netherrealm portal or simply teleporting to his spot. The fatality/Final Smash that would best fit Smash is probably the one where he takes off his mask and envelopes his enemies in fire. And yes he would always be facing forward since he is a fighting game character

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What do you guys think would be the stage entrance for Scorpion?
What about the fatality?
Would he be like Ryu and Terry and always be facing forward?
Stage Entrance: My best bet is the teleporting fire. Or he could also teleport in from off screen, as one of many ninja moves. (I'd guess the fire, since I would think he would get an echo in SubZero).

Final Smash: "FINISH HIM!" (We see the full words come on screen, and vocally spoken! The other characters go lifeless when this is activated. And he has two or three options based on distance.
1- Animality (because they are cool). He could turn into a Penguin like MK3, or a Scorpion given his name, or even the MK Dragon itself (taking it fully from Liu Kang, I know). This would be if he is not near an opponent.
2- Brutality (intense button combo, can work on a short range, as many opponents as are in front)
3- The classic fatality- the fire face. It can only work on one enemy.
4- Friendship- he does his friendship.... I dont recall it off hand at the moment
5- Babality: If nothing else is done quickly enough in time, he turns into a baby and cries. But this highly damages all opponents, even if it has zero knockback.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Despite the rumors, was honestly not expecting a story expansion. Potential hype, but keeping my expectations to a minimum after how much MK11’s story disappointed me, particularly the last chapters. At least Shang Tsung gets some story screentime now though.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I have multiple Kirbys (with specific hats) got that covered, though Dracula works too and I put Ryu as Scorpion's final boss is Ryu because basically this is the fight between two big names fighting game characters clashing at once.
Ryu would work as the Penultimate fight for Scorpion.

UserKev

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Despite the rumors, was honestly not expecting a story expansion. Potential hype, but keeping my expectations to a minimum after how much MK11’s story disappointed me, particularly the last chapters. At least Shang Tsung gets some story screentime now though.
I'm definitely interested in where the story will go. I'm hearing evil can play out on both sides with Liu Kang and Shang Tsung.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At least that will get the bad taste of Kronika out of my mouth who I still consider the worst villain ever. Bring on the classic parallels.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Personally I would rather Reptile be in Smash but that's just me.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even without the rumors he's not really a shocking reveal to me. People would want to see him fight Terminator in a game, just as people were big on Alien vs Predator in MKX. At least he's voiced by the original portrayer though (Peter Weller) unlike Terminator which doesn't have Arnold but a standin voice.

Now the Friendships returning was actually a surprise. It's the last thing you'd expect with how ultra-gritty and seriously MK's taken itself at this point, and looks oddly out of place now with that said. Would've preferred Animalities, but I know they'd be harder to animate for every character, so can settle with this. I guess the wait continues for Ash Williams. Seeing how pivotal Shang Tsung actually is to the story aftermath is pleasing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Kombat sounds more awesome to me and I thought that the animated movie was really good. I just got done watching it and it was better than I was expecting it to be. It had lots of gore and action, and the characters were very well done. I did have some problems with it though and its short runtime meant that some plot points and characters were underdeveloped. But other than those things it was really enjoyable and I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Also, I would like to be added to the supporters list. I really like Mortal Kombat and it would be sick to see Scorpion make it into Smash (plus seeing Kirby yell "Get over here" alone makes me want to see this as a reality). I suck at Mortal Kombat, but the characters and lore intrigue me a lot.
I bet Scorpion's Japanese title would be called "Great Fray Kombat".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
She’s not. Mileena, while very popular, is just treated/regarded as the Waluigi of Mortal Kombat now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
BrawlFan1's latest Smash moveset was on Scorpion. Figured I post if anyone was interested.

Overall not bad. The only thing is I think his Toasty! should be his Final Smash given how iconic it is. And it could still work being toned down. Scorpion simply sets the stage on fire all over on the ground causing amounts of damages to opponents.

Also another option for his Up B is Nether-Gate.

In terms of alternate costumes as well. They should reference the other ninjas.

Yellow (Scorpion) - Blue (Sub-Zero) - Green (Reptile) - Grey (Smoke) - Red (Ermac) - Black (Noob Saibot) - Purple (Rain) - Brown/Rainbow (Tremor/Chameleon).

D

Deleted member

The new MK11 DLC does look really promising.

While I wish we got Ash Williams as the leaks said (since Bruce Campbell is one of my favourite actors) Robocop is still an awesome character to get and the fact he is voiced by his original actor makes It even better.

Friendship finished returning is also really cool.

Top Bottom