• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I hate to be a pessimist, but now I think Scorpion is definitely not getting in with that interview. Normally when statements like the one Boon puts out are made, it's almost always in a "yeah that would be cool" sense. Certainly nothing that would suggest that they were in negotiations with Nintendo or actively sought them out for it. Just a quick "I would love to see that" one and done answer to the interviewer's question.

Of course, never say never. This is not a hard precedent because it has been broken in the past (i.e. Banjo and Kazooie). But with Fighter Pass 2 already being decided with currently no plans for a third pass beyond that, not to mention the roadblocks that MK content in Smash would have to go through, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I hate to be a pessimist, but now I think Scorpion is definitely not getting in with that interview. Normally when statements like the one Boon puts out are made, it's almost always in a "yeah that would be cool" sense. Certainly nothing that would suggest that they were in negotiations with Nintendo or actively sought them out for it. Just a quick "I would love to see that" one and done answer to the interviewer's question.

Of course, never say never. This is not a hard precedent because it has been broken in the past (i.e. Banjo and Kazooie). But with Fighter Pass 2 already being decided with currently no plans for a third pass beyond that, not to mention the roadblocks that MK content in Smash would have to go through, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
That's the whole idea, really. In this case, it might could just happen. If not Ultimate, Scorpion could really happen next Smash. The interview still open doors for the character because now it will get more people discussing, establishing Scorp in the speculation scene.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the whole idea, really. In this case, it might could just happen. If not Ultimate, Scorpion could really happen next Smash. The interview still open doors for the character because now it will get more people discussing, establishing Scorp in the speculation scene.
Honestly, that's a much more reasonable expectation than cheering up like the Dante fans when a fighter is mentioned in a "might be cool" sense.

Also, one other thing that would help Scorpion's chances is whenever the Klassic Kollection is confirmed to exist and be coming to Switch, this way it would expose Smash fans and new players to the klassic era of the franchise, especially with no new Smash game on the horizon until the next console.

Edit: https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1232116184092332032

Never actually thought I'd ever read about Sakurai playing Goat Simulator.

Last edited:

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
Word is a HD remaster of the original trilogy could be getting announced pretty directly. It'd be asinine to think the Switch would be left out and if this does indeed come true, a Scorpion appearance in Smash becomes A LOT more likely.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

At least someone of note kinda keeping MK detractors honest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, so, I'm doing a bunch of newcomer splash screens for a pass I personally made. Scorpion's the opening character. The issue is I can't find a good image of him doing the spear move at the right angle.

Something akin to this.

This image doesn't have the spear go long enough, which makes it unfeasible. And so far, my usage of Paint.net has been... less than satisfactory in that regard.

Anybody knows of any other pictures that might work?

https://twitter.com/Hydrozor/status/1232431161055510528 The pass I'm working with. Not embedding it cause there's a lot of embeds on this page, but the characters are Scorpion, Brian, Fulgore, ToyAgumon, Impa, and Sveta anyway. Impa is Oracles version, and Scorpion is specifically the Klassic design from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, if that helps.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I sound late, but I am pretty sure that Sakurai DID played Mortal Kombat. Also, if Scorpion were to get in, which iteration of him will they use? Because Scorpion has different costumes.

UserKev

Smash Champion
And I am pretty sure his fighter spirit will be his MK11 render. And the classic render (from MK1) can be bought.
Scorpion in Smash is exciting, right? :chuckle: I want his MK11 render to be a custom, honestly.

Its very identical to his classic alt and is still simple in detail. He'd literally blend in next to Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu.

UserKev

Smash Champion
With Nintendo's involvement with hand picking DLC this time around, its safe to assume we're not getting Scorpion this Smash in any sense of the word. He's more guaranteed next Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With Nintendo's involvement with hand picking DLC this time around, its safe to assume we're not getting Scorpion this Smash in any sense of the word. He's more guaranteed next Smash.
That's pretty much a given even if Nintendo wasn't involved, honestly. Fan demand for Scorpion just isn't strong enough yet, but with some of the heavy-hitters out of the way (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:), that should be easier to gather up by next game, in theory.

Also, I wouldn't be overly concerned about him getting in a smidgen smaller roster. Him getting in at all is the principle of the matter.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
That's pretty much a given even if Nintendo wasn't involved, honestly. Fan demand for Scorpion just isn't strong enough yet, but with some of the heavy-hitters out of the way (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:), that should be easier to gather up by next game, in theory.

Also, I wouldn't be overly concerned about him getting in a smidgen smaller roster. Him getting in at all is the principle of the matter.
It does seem Ultimate could be all or nothing for him when you think next Smash is basically next console, MK may be on a video game hiatus at that time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It does seem Ultimate could be all or nothing for him when you think next Smash is basically next console, MK may be on a video game hiatus at that time.
Maybe so, but even that isn't an obstacle, as some can attest. :ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Fan demand makes all the difference and helps to break even the most impassible barriers, regardless whether a character's series is alive or not.

The actual obstacle is getting enough people to see past the whole "overly violent can't get in" stigma.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think that would be fair for someone less talked about like Scorpion in the case of next Smash, though he might still have a Tekken rep to compete with by then, assuming we don’t get a Tekken character in FP2.

I’d like Scorpion for MK and Nightmare or someone for Soul Calibur, but Tekken’s arguably a bigger series than both, even though I prefer SC and MK. Plus it’d be easier for them to secure a Tekken character than striking a deal with a Western company for Scorpion’s sake...

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think that would be fair for someone less talked about like Scorpion in the case of next Smash, though he might still have a Tekken rep to compete with by then, assuming we don’t get a Tekken character in FP2.

I’d like Scorpion for MK and Nightmare or someone for Soul Calibur, but Tekken’s arguably a bigger series than both, even though I prefer SC and MK. Plus it’d be easier for them to secure a Tekken character than striking a deal with a Western company for Scorpion’s sake...
Agreed. Scorpion is still in the process of being established in Smash speculation, he will be well established comes reveal of next Smash. Tekken is arguably bigger in likeliness because its already Japanese. I think MK is bigger and has more legacy characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, AVGN covered the ports of the very first MK (linked for obvious reasons): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

In regards to portable MK on Nintendo, we came a long way from this.

If Sak hasn't managed to figure out how to adapt Tekken's gameplay yet, it's likely that we won't see one of its characters until next time, yeah. Doesn't help that there's been a really strange lack of Bamco characters so far.

Besides, I'm sure that people are still mourning the late Ishizuka, so I don't think Heihachi's coming this time.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Geez, the Mortal Kombat original theme has over a hundred million views.

Can anyone guess what Scorpion's series logo will represent in Smash?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How would you guys picture Scorpion's alternate costumes?

Presumably I'd imagine they'd be his attires from MK 1 to 3/U3/Trilogy with the others being Blue (Sub-Zero), Green (Reptile), Grey (Smoke), Black (Noob Saibot) and Red (Ermac).

What do you think?

UserKev

Smash Champion

Presumably I'd imagine they'd be his attires from MK 1 to 3/U3/Trilogy with the others being Blue (Sub-Zero), Green (Reptile), Grey (Smoke), Black (Noob Saibot) and Red (Ermac).

What do you think?
A little late, bud.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure this was said before and I said something similar in the Heihachi thread but if Scorpion made it in Smash, I hope that any Mortal Kombat stage will include this song.
I mean imagine playing Pichu fighting Bayonetta with a Wiz Khalifa song playing in the background

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

What do you think?
Well, I always imagined he'd start with Classic but have Modern. There's a color for like almost anything as is. You have two Blues as well(especially since Scorpion can be masked or unmasked to match the Sub-Zero colors. Of course, that doesn't work if Sub-Zero is playable. If he isn't, that's 4 colors). You could group Black and Grey similarly with Mask and Unmasked. Smoke is an actual gameplay clone of Scorpion, so I'd say Masked. Noob could ironically be the unmasked variant. You could then have Red and maybe Pink for the last one? It'd be a bit weird, but it fits the color schemes going on. That or Maroon. Ermac had sun powers at one point, retconning to more Psychic abilities, so I'd say Unmasked for that one. Masked for the Maroon/Pink. That or Purple works too, for both Rain and Mileena(which fits the Masked thing well).

D

Deleted member

Also if Scorpion made it in Smash, I hope the Scorpion DLC include this song

UserKev

Smash Champion
I seriously doubt Sakurai will add any mainstream song from a pop culture figure. I wouldn't expect more than a remix of the Mortal Kombat theme song.

D

Deleted member

I seriously doubt Sakurai will add any mainstream song from a pop culture figure. I wouldn't expect more than a remix of the Mortal Kombat theme song.
Well I mean the song by Wiz Khalifa specifically made for the MKX trailer is more likely than 21 Savage trailer as it's well.. as said in the video "explicit" but I understand where you're coming from I guess

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well I mean the song by Wiz Khalifa specifically made for the MKX trailer is more likely than 21 Savage trailer as it's well.. as said in the video "explicit" but I understand where you're coming from I guess
Its ok and all in good faith to have discussion but neither are even remotely likely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, consider the following: it was a hassle to get Crush 40's :ultsonic: songs back in here, and the Zebrahead one is still instrumental, IIRC.

I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be near-impossible to get 21 Savage or the Wiz Khalifa one. We'd be lucky to get Techno Syndrome as it is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, consider the following: it was a hassle to get Crush 40's :ultsonic: songs back in here, and the Zebrahead one is still instrumental, IIRC.

I wouldn't be shocked if it'd be near-impossible to get 21 Savage or the Wiz Khalifa one. We'd be lucky to get Techno Syndrome as it is.
Though it would be funny to see Bowser fight Scorpion in "The Pit" with a 21 Savage song play in the background.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Good news for y’all. Scorpion’s chances has been skyrocketed in Smash. Because there is a Japanese online retailer called Rakuten, and it sells Mortal Kombat games (including 9, 10 and 11) and action figures in its home country. So tbh, Scorpion does have a shot to be represented in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news for y’all. Scorpion’s chances has been skyrocketed in Smash. Because there is a Japanese online retailer called Rakuten, and it sells Mortal Kombat games (including 9, 10 and 11) and action figures in its home country. So tbh, Scorpion does have a shot to be represented in Smash.
It's not going to mean much with CERO deciding to play dead for the foreseeable future.

UserKev

Smash Champion
How long has Rakuten been around? I doubt it means anything if MK isn't at least established with said retailer..

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

At least someone of note kinda keeping MK detractors honest.
... could there have been *any question* that Sakurai had heard of Mortal Kombat? The only bigger fighting game franchise (as a total media franchise- meaning not just video game sales but all product total sales) is Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is a media sensation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

There is no question Sakurai knows the series.

How long has Rakuten been around? I doubt it means anything if MK isn't at least established with said retailer..
... This does not change anything. We live in a Global World. Japan knew of Mortal Kombat. They aren't living in old world China. They are aware of Global influences.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
(double- please delete)

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
... could there have been *any question* that Sakurai had heard of Mortal Kombat? The only bigger fighting game franchise (as a total media franchise- meaning not just video game sales but all product total sales) is Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is a media sensation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

There is no question Sakurai knows the series.

... This does not change anything. We live in a Global World. Japan knew of Mortal Kombat. They aren't living in old world China. They are aware of Global influences.
I mean, Mortal Kombat may be niche in Japan, but it does have a fanbase there.

Top Bottom