• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would add Goro into the iconic MK list characters.
Iconic within mk can be tricky when you think about it. Baraka, Mileena and Kitana are just as arguable. Kung Lao's hat alone seems well known and Sonya's leg grab has strong legacy.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I notice people who usually do not know about video games, know Goro is related to video games and MK.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess the unique impact Goro made in the first MK movie (as a giant puppet shortly before all such characters became fully CG in the 90's) is probably to thank for that.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Yeah but even before the movie, people used to relate the four armed guy to Mortal Kombat, and Mortal Kombat is a game. I noticed this on some cousins back then.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Have these ever been posted here?

It would be nice to see these images connect in some way.
megaman KO.jpg
This is what crossed my mind when I first saw Megaman bite the dust. Here's hoping.
MK9 art.jpg

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Of course it’s not an actual hint, but it’d be a cool connection to make nonetheless if Scorpion ever happened. Just take out the blood part of the 2nd image and it’s nicely identical enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Seems like more of a generic retelling of MK1 than I thought (which we already got with MK9), but it’s something I guess.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea for Scorpion's Classic Mode Trial
First, its just called 'Klassic'

1. Mario
(Because Mario is often better known and has been knosn to steal his spotlight once or twice.)

2. Terry Bogard
(They're both from fighting games and they both use fire/flare type attacks)

3. Ken & Ryu
(You tell me why not)

4. Simon & Richter
(All have fire & chains in they're movesets)

5. Bayonetta & Snake
(Both rather Mature characters that beat him into Smash)

6. Every Fire Emblem Rep
(Mob Smash, just like the Inkling one for Piranha Plant)

BOSS - Galleom
(I don't know why, he's just my favorite boss in Ultimate. Plus, he comes right before unlocking Snake is the base.

FeelingDrowzy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4247 0006 8233
I would love for him to get added, I'm surprised he's not in when MK is a popular franchise in the west and we do need some big reps for them! I think like the other DLC characters have a mechanic that makes them different from the rest, I have something that could work & be somewhat be fair (but would be something that won't be used to much) So here's my idea!

So I had that idea since Terry came out with his "Go" meter at 100% that makes him have more moves, so let's do it with Scorp! so how about he will unlock 2-4 moves ONLY if someone shield is broken or they can program it to where in stamina, if a player reaches 0HP, it'll do the shield break animation (since it looks like the defeated animation from MK) the moves will be Fatalities/ Brutalities to punish those who used their shield for a long time or something the rest will be what most of y'all say for his moveset since I agree with them :)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not really feeling the overall choice in animation aesthetic. Its been DC-lized.
I guess I'm fine with it in the sense I've been a DC fan for as long if not longer (although grew up with MK too), but yeah, this animated style just feels kinda off for MK.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I have an idea for Scorpion's Classic Mode Trial
First, its just called 'Klassic'

1. Mario
(Because Mario is often better known and has been knosn to steal his spotlight once or twice.)

2. Terry Bogard
(They're both from fighting games and they both use fire/flare type attacks)

3. Ken & Ryu
(You tell me why not)

4. Simon & Richter
(All have fire & chains in they're movesets)

5. Bayonetta & Snake
(Both rather Mature characters that beat him into Smash)

6. Every Fire Emblem Rep
(Mob Smash, just like the Inkling one for Piranha Plant)

BOSS - Galleom
(I don't know why, he's just my favorite boss in Ultimate. Plus, he comes right before unlocking Snake is the base.
Tbh, Dracula fits more to be Scorpion's Classic Mode boss.... Because Dracula can be a reference to Shang Tsung.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, Dracula fits more to be Scorpion's Classic Mode boss.... Because Dracula can be a reference to Shang Tsung.
Honestly, I thought that too but seeing Scorpion fighting Galleom would be awesome for me. A lot of people just say he's the worst boss, but I loved his fight, and the fact that you pretty much had to beat him before you could unlock Snake in WoL.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
MK11's having a rough time right now. It got left out of EVO in favor of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.
It actually helps MK's case. MK not present at EVO won't make the series any less iconic. MK's absence will spark more controversy then anything.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
It actually helps MK's case. MK not present at EVO won't make the series any less iconic. MK's absence will spark more controversy then anything.
What do you mean with controversies?
Edit: Nvm.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh. Cool that he spoke up about it without being coy this time.

As for MK11 not being at EVO, we can only guess why, but honestly on a competitive level, the game plays it too safe compared to its predecessors. It's the most balanced, but MK9 and X I would argue were more fun and play to watch with the more extensive combos you could do. Potential combos feel really nerfed now in comparison, which is part of why I couldn't get into 11 like I could the previous games. Is a shame too, because the game added a bunch of nice new mechanics (short hoppping, being able to roll out of a corner if you time it right, etc) which I would've been all over if the gameplay still kept me invested.

The game may have not made as such a scene at EVO because of some of that, and so it was dropped; who knows. The kind of grindy nature and awful progression system with the krypt and getting all the skins and stuff eventually burned me out from the game too I guess, as I refused to pay money for any of that. There's so many skins and things that you don't really feel special for getting any particular one. Can't say I'm a fan of those time limited krypt events either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they had buffed the koin rates like how Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled had its Wumpa coin rates buffed in offline modes, it would have helped, but as it is players just get encouraged to wait and see if a Komplete edition of the game shows up later on.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Huh. Cool that he spoke up about it without being coy this time.

As for MK11 not being at EVO, we can only guess why, but honestly on a competitive level, the game plays it too safe compared to its predecessors. It's the most balanced, but MK9 and X I would argue were more fun and play to watch with the more extensive combos you could do. Potential combos feel really nerfed now in comparison, which is part of why I couldn't get into 11 like I could the previous games. Is a shame too, because the game added a bunch of nice new mechanics (short hoppping, being able to roll out of a corner if you time it right, etc) which I would've been all over if the gameplay still kept me invested.

The game may have not made as such a scene at EVO because of some of that, and so it was dropped; who knows. The kind of grindy nature and awful progression system with the krypt and getting all the skins and stuff eventually burned me out from the game too I guess, as I refused to pay money for any of that. There's so many skins and things that you don't really feel special for getting any particular one. Can't say I'm a fan of those time limited krypt events either.
I don't really like MK11 either. Its story mode is incredible but that's the only feat of the game for me. MKX is still very fun to play.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't really like MK11 either. Its story mode is incredible but that's the only feat of the game for me. MKX is still very fun to play.
This video summed up my problems with current MK, some of the story included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MjM1X7FbZ4

To elaborate on the story part, I still like MK11's plot, except for Hanzo getting killed by D'Vorah, and the ending... Didn't mind the ending at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I didn't like the idea of them timeline resetting yet again. It was justified as a means of moving on from Armageddon, but doing it again a couple games later just creates or reinforces the notion that nothing that happens in the story matters when you can just timeline reset on a whim. The good and the bad parts, the character development... Nothing matters. Unless Liu Kang and Kitana somehow lose control of the sands of time, there's no real stakes anymore.

At the same time though, I'm fine with this being the last MK for awhile and ending on that, as there's evident franchise fatigue with both fans and the developers. The writers probably didn't know how else to end it either because **** tossing the 3D era characters/villains a bone outside of cameos.

But all that aside, just glad for now that Boon was more transparent about the idea of Scorpion in Smash, which is at least something to go off of for awhile.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I definitely want MK representation in Ultimate. I support.
Also, yeah I didn't like MK 11's story. Hanzo died after he FINALLY got his happy ending, Johnny got barely any screentime, Dark Raiden was wasted, and there aren't any stakes any more. The game itself is fine, just th story is lame in comparison to IX and X.

Tangent over, Scorpion would be sick.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I definitely want MK representation in Ultimate. I support.
Also, yeah I didn't like MK 11's story. Hanzo died after he FINALLY got his happy ending, Johnny got barely any screentime, Dark Raiden was wasted, and there aren't any stakes any more. The game itself is fine, just th story is lame in comparison to IX and X.

Tangent over, Scorpion would be sick.
Honestly, it's not just MK11 in which there was a cliffhanger previously established that wasn't followed up on.

MK9 ended with Quan Chi and Shinnok having arrived on the scene of Shao Kahn's demise, moving forward on a severely weakened Earthrealm. Then come MKX, Shinnok decides to implement his invasion two years afterward for some reason, and gets sent packing by Cage, and then he's gone all game until the climax... For all the hype Shinnok gets as being more dangerous than Shao Kahn, he deserved better. The events of MKX didn't seem like anything that was originally planned. Then MKX sets up Dark Raiden with the finale as pointed out and then he's gone within the hour of MK11's story.

Why set up a sequel by teasing a concept but barely follow through with it? The classic case of making things up as they go along I guess, but it doesn't always work out. Less and less so in the case of this series. I doubt an MK12 (if it happens) will even be that much of a clean slate with the story despite what was set up here. Bottom line, they need better writers.

MK was one of the first to show that you can have a real story in a fighting game series and make it work, but it sucks seeing how often they struggle with the writing outside of the MK 1-3 nostalgia of MK9.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, for a while, they wanted an excuse to wipe everything and start off with a clean slate with a brand-new cast. Kinda like with the IDW Sonic comics, except with Liu Kang and Raiden being the only returning characters.

As long as they stop pulling an Infinite Crisis/a Genesis Wave every time something goes wrong for them after that.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
What's really unfortunate, there's a lot you can do with MK's wide variety. See MK Wasted Potential content by 4thSnake. Even the MKX comics are amazing and should be animated, honestly.

You can even do a prequel of MK that features lore wise older characters, Raiden, Shao Kahn, Onaga rulling Outworld, Daegon, etc

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What's really unfortunate, there's a lot you can do with MK's wide variety. See MK Wasted Potential content by 4thSnake. Even the MKX comics are amazing and should be animated, honestly.

You can even do a prequel of MK that features lore wise older characters, Raiden, Shao Kahn, Onaga rulling Outworld, Daegon, etc
The MK and Star Wars trilogies comparisons I couldn’t unsee after this video.

https://youtu.be/7p7bnVz_0iQ

But yeah, 4thSnake generally has the right idea, even though he can be a bit abrasive at times, but the fact most MK/NRS loyalists (that can’t take any criticism of the current direction for the series) seem to hate him tells me he’s doing a good job as a fan with a mind of their own fighting the good fight. His and some people’s take on the current Sindel portrayal I agreed with too needless to say, for a more recent example.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It might have helped if Tobias was still around, creator groups work best when they got someone to veto the dumber ideas.

At least we should theoretically be getting the Klassic Kollection for the original trilogy at some point.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
That'll be sick.

Also, MKX's story felt like while it kinda wasted IX's cliffhanger, still did it justice. Plus Johnny Cage was badass in that game, and he's my main, so he better be.
And honestly Cage wrecking Shinook in a fight is kinda hilarious as it made for great intro dialogue in XI and also was just really cool.
Also that game gave us Scorpion FINALLY getting vengeance and moving on from what happened to his family, so it's fine by me.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That'll be sick.

Also, MKX's story felt like while it kinda wasted IX's cliffhanger, still did it justice. Plus Johnny Cage was badass in that game, and he's my main, so he better be.
And honestly Cage wrecking Shinook in a fight is kinda hilarious as it made for great intro dialogue in XI and also was just really cool.
Also that game gave us Scorpion FINALLY getting vengeance and moving on from what happened to his family, so it's fine by me.
Oh don't get me wrong about Cage. He's one of my mains too, and him being the central hero for once was overdue, but it was only in the beginning chapter. After that was when X's story went downhill, at least for me. The way they presented his daughter beating a transformed Shinnok by the end chapter was all kinds of dumb, on top of the already stupid power scaling in the story up to that point. They just gave too much focus to the kombat kids which left a sour taste in people's mouths.

Scorpion's vengeance I didn't like when it came at the cost of the other revenants being able to be restored by conventional means. And honestly, Johnny had alright screentime/had his moments in MK11's story; it's just that it went back to Liu Kang being the focus after his fans complained enough about how he was being treated; it was an injustice to Liu's character when he was pretty much becoming another Shang Tsung, but y'know.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It was brought up before, but my first time seeing it in video format, as I wasn’t aware Ed actually said that in person, so that’s cool. He’s aged pretty well on that note, much like with Sakurai; as in they look pretty much the same to me as when I saw them in interviews during the earlier games back in the day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It was brought up before, but my first time seeing it in video format, as I wasn’t aware Ed actually said that in person, so that’s cool. He’s aged pretty well on that note, much like with Sakurai; as in they look pretty much the same to me as when I saw them in interviews during the earlier games back in the day.
Some folks just age like wine, just look at JoJo's Araki, some people are convinced that he's a vampire.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy MK11. I think it's nice to have a more laid back fighting game on the market, and MK11's "tone down" approach to game-play really appeals to me. I'm not sure if tone down is the right word as a lot of new mechanics have added a lot of depth to the game. MKX was definitely more combo heavy, but I was never a big fan of that aspect of the game. The constant 50/50s into TOD combos was really unpleasant to deal with.

As far as the story goes, I agree with a lot of the complaints, but I definitely feel like certain aspects are overblown. Definitely not a fan of MK11's ending though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I prefer the more advanced bnb combos that I had been accustomed to since at least MK9, but to each their own I guess. It was always up to the player on whether or not to learn them, though with MK11 there’s almost nothing to lab for the characters in comparison. Even some of the smaller changes too is kinda divisive like Scorpion no longer getting a free hit off a successful spear.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I prefer the more advanced bnb combos that I had been accustomed to since at least MK9, but to each their own I guess. It was always up to the player on whether or not to learn them, though with MK11 there’s almost nothing to lab for the characters in comparison. Even some of the smaller changes too is kinda divisive like Scorpion no longer getting a free hit off a successful spear.
MKX is likely to go down as the infamous middle child being the sequel between MK9 and MK11, which I'm perfectly ok with. MKX will grow on more and more people as time go on, I'm certain. :chuckle:

Top Bottom