• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Although on the plus side, I think that WB would be a lot easier to work with than Disney for character licensing.
Kinda the opposite for me. DC doesn't seem to have any interest in Smash, where's they'd only get representation via MK which wasn't originally their IP. DC will most likely be neutral on the idea as long as it profits them, Ed Boon is the only one who's interested.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Kinda the opposite for me. DC doesn't seem to have any interest in Smash, where's they'd only get representation via MK which wasn't originally their IP. DC will most likely be neutral on the idea as long as it profits them, Ed Boon is the only one who's interested.
First off, Warner Bros owns DC, not the other way around. Second, yes Mortal Kombat was not WB's IP originally, having originally belonged to Midway until the company went bankrupt and was purchased by WB, turned into WB Games Chicago, and was later reincorporated as NetherRealm Studios. But now NetherRealm Studios is a subsidiary of Warner Bros, so this does mean that a Mortal Kombat character is their property to use for licensing. Ed Boon would love to see Mortal Kombat crossover with more franchises because he does want MK to grow and gain more popularity. Sadly he's been rejected by Capcom for working with Street Fighter, but it shows that there's attempts made by the studio for showcasing the series more. The MK games have had several third party characters in them these days, such as Kratos, Freddy, Jason, Alien, Predator, Terminator, Spawn, etc. WB, not being as powerful as Disney, is a lot easier to work with, and let's not forget how Disney treats their property, Sora, in comparison.

So yeah, WB would definitely be a lot more willing to work with Nintendo without hassle to get MK in. But of course that's if they would get approval by Nintendo for getting Mortal Kombat in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
First off, Warner Bros owns DC, not the other way around. Second, yes Mortal Kombat was not WB's IP originally, having originally belonged to Midway until the company went bankrupt and was purchased by WB, turned into WB Games Chicago, and was later reincorporated as NetherRealm Studios. But now NetherRealm Studios is a subsidiary of Warner Bros, so this does mean that a Mortal Kombat character is their property to use for licensing. Ed Boon would love to see Mortal Kombat crossover with more franchises because he does want MK to grow and gain more popularity. Sadly he's been rejected by Capcom for working with Street Fighter, but it shows that there's attempts made by the studio for showcasing the series more. The MK games have had several third party characters in them these days, such as Kratos, Freddy, Jason, Alien, Predator, Terminator, Spawn, etc. WB, not being as powerful as Disney, is a lot easier to work with, and let's not forget how Disney treats their property, Sora, in comparison.

So yeah, WB would definitely be a lot more willing to work with Nintendo without hassle to get MK in. But of course that's if they would get approval by Nintendo for getting Mortal Kombat in Smash.
Hasn't Disney already gave approval of Sora in Smash after the full completion of KH3 or whatever tho? I agree if your also explaining the possibility of Disney wanting Sora to come with full Disney references.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure, but that's an excellent question/point to bring up. With MK11 and I guess MKX having been banned in Japan, didn't think to consider whether it also applied to Injustice, but I guess it was still released there. Huh... Helps too that Scorpion was the most sold DLC character of that game. Maybe whoever voiced Scorpion there in Japanese could do so for him if he got in Smash.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok , posting this here, what you guys think:

Funny how Ed is talking just about Mortal Kombat
And he goes to talk about Smash Bros for no reason

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ok , posting this here, what you guys think:

Funny how Ed is talking just about Mortal Kombat
And he goes to talk about Smash Bros for no reason
Its definitely something nice to look into. I feel like Ed Boon is trying to reach contact to Sakurai in his own trolly way.

D

Deleted member

Its definitely something nice to look into. I feel like Ed Boon is trying to reach contact to Sakurai in his own trolly way.
Probably.

Ed Boom has a really own style for this stuff.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not the first time he's complemented Smash's success, particularly Ultimate's. I don't think there's really anything more to look into though as far as that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
About those 1-Up arcade machines, is the Mortal Kombat one worth it?

On one hand it has MK 1, MK 2, and UMK 3. On the other hand, it’s like $300.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
About those 1-Up arcade machines, is the Mortal Kombat one worth it?

On one hand it has MK 1, MK 2, and UMK 3. On the other hand, it’s like $300.
I think mine was one of the best/worst purchases I've made in a while. I always wanted to play the arcade versions of these games and finding any arcade or any store with them in it is pretty hard for me to find. From what I can tell, these things are close to arcade perfect, so having one is really cool to have. However, for me, I rarely play on it so it just kind of takes up space in my small room, which is already pretty cramped to begin with. Not to mention I bought mine when I was running low on money, so this definitely left a hole in my wallet. But overall, I would say I could of spent money on worse.

But on the topic of Smash, it's crazy to think that in ten days we could potentially see the final character in the Fighters Pass. Of course Scorpion is my most wanted character, but I think with all these rumors and leaks being brought up and shut down almost instantly, I think I'll be excited with whoever is announced (with a couple of exceptions)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think mine was one of the best/worst purchases I've made in a while. I always wanted to play the arcade versions of these games and finding any arcade or any store with them in it is pretty hard for me to find. From what I can tell, these things are close to arcade perfect, so having one is really cool to have. However, for me, I rarely play on it so it just kind of takes up space in my small room, which is already pretty cramped to begin with. Not to mention I bought mine when I was running low on money, so this definitely left a hole in my wallet. But overall, I would say I could of spent money on worse.
Yeah, I think it would be worth getting if I had someone to play the games with or if I had kids to gift them like my parents gifted me and my brother with a brand new NES for Christmas back in the NES days.

But yeah, the price is too steep for me... especially when it’s only three games, although the original Mortal Kombat trilogy are the only Mortal Kombat games that really matter, at least to me... so the price is really because of the arcade cabinet.

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I remember sketches in Deception that looked like ideas for a smash like game. That's my opinion, it looked like smash but there were 4 fighters and stuff

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
To those saying that Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, it's not. The game series itself is just not localized there. BUT! Japanese people can STILL buy the game through import (Amazon Japan). Also, Mortal Kombat has made a cameo appearance in a Japanese anime called Hi Score Girl.

UserKev

Smash Champion
To those saying that Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, it's not. The game series itself is just not localized there. BUT! Japanese people can STILL buy the game through import (Amazon Japan). Also, Mortal Kombat has made a cameo appearance in a Japanese anime called Hi Score Girl.
I seen it. It may isn't out wright banned but majority Japanese isn't feeling it I guess. It has a niche following in Japan it seems.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I have only one thing to say...

GET OVER HERE

Well I want one of four mk karacters to be put into smash.
Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, or Jax
(Tbh,b I'd also be fine with Mileena)

Last edited:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, accidental double post... Devs could you delete this one? Don't know how to delete replys or if i even can

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The big localizer guys don't seem to think that it's worth it to laboriously censor the recent games and just...don't acknowledge them. There's never been a huge controversy that prevented it from making a splash in Japan like how poorly-handled Spyro's PSX games were. It just kind of stopped showing up sometime around the middle or end of the older era.

It's like MK is an urban legend over there. It's a pretty unusual situation, I have no idea how to describe it, really.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
The big localizer guys don't seem to think that it's worth it to laboriously censor the recent games and just...don't acknowledge them. There's never been a huge controversy that prevented it from making a splash in Japan like how poorly-handled Spyro's PSX games were. It just kind of stopped showing up sometime around the middle or end of the older era.

It's like MK is an urban legend over there. It's a pretty unusual situation, I have no idea how to describe it, really.
Its like we have no other way to speculate MK content in Smash other than to acknowledge how unlikely MK's odds are because it probably won't happen, which is mind blowing to me. Hopefully some of Ed Boon's more recent posts are actual hints on the matter. He may need to approach Sakurai.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Its like we have no other way to speculate MK content in Smash other than to acknowledge how unlikely MK's odds are because it probably won't happen, which is mind blowing to me. Hopefully some of Ed Boon's more recent posts are actual hints on the matter. He may need to approach Sakurai.
Yeah, third-parties have to make that first step (:ultbanjokazooie:), from what I've seen before some devs are under the impression that it's the other way around.

Also, which posts, specifically? For the sake of clarity.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Yeah, third-parties have to make that first step (:ultbanjokazooie:), from what I've seen before some devs are under the impression that it's the other way around.

Also, which posts, specifically? For the sake of clarity.
There was one post on Ed Boon's Twitter where he taken a picture with several video game devs, one of them being with Kojima, the guy who made Metal Gear Solid. Its interesting when you want to get theoretical about it. :chuckle:

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
Apparently from what I've seen, a couple of days following a Pokemon Direct (a week top) a general Nintendo Direct happens afterwards. So it looks like we are finally (hopefully) seeing who Fighter 5 is soon.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Apparently from what I've seen, a couple of days following a Pokemon Direct (a week top) a general Nintendo Direct happens afterwards. So it looks like we are finally (hopefully) seeing who Fighter 5 is soon.
I was kind of hoping obstagoon from the new pokemon sword and shield games would become a fighter, and was hoping it would be revealed during the pokemon direct... But honestly there are so many other pokemon that would work better, like grovyle, than obstagoon.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
So... what are the odds Scorpion is one of the Fighters Pass #2 characters?
I would like to think that his chances are better now than they were for the first Pass. Sakurai said that the video for Byleth was recorded in November (if I remember correctly), so by the point MK11 was released and for most of 2019 was one of the best, if not the best, selling games of the year. Yes, I know that those numbers are probably from US sales, I would like to imagine that it's success could of reached Sakurai's ears by word of mouth.

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
Just type モータルコンバット in the twitter search engine. A significant amount of accounts had stuff to say about The Joker in MK11 & some were mentioning wanting an mk rep as dlc in the second season.

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
Look at my name. Guess where I stand here. ;)

So yeah. I fully admit I'm not a diehard Smash player. In fact, I only played N64's at a friend's when I was a kid, owned Brawl and now Ultimate. Never played for Wii U/3DS. And I only played Melee a handful of times (never owned it, sadly). So that's my history, however I do love the idea of Smash and I enjoy popping it in every now and then to play. Followed the Fighters Pass, got all the DLC and I am always entertained with the game. And with today's announcement of 6 more DLC, I just had to make my own desires known: Scorpion. And there's a few reasons why not only do I want him, I feel he (or at least someone like Sub Zero) deserve a spot.

- Street Fighter and King of Fighters have reps. The only other fighting game that really has as much of a cultural impact as these (if not more so than KoF) is Mortal Kombat. Arguments can be made for Tekken as well. I wouldn't be against a Tekken rep either, but that's another story.

- Scorpion's move list works for Smash. He has everything already built in with his traditional MK move list, complete with a Fatality that can be modified into a Final Smash (his Toasty). Who doesn't want to reveal a skull and breath fire on Mario, Donkey Kong and Ryu and then catapult them off a stage?

- Blood and violence can be toned down for Smash. This isn't like MKvDC where the crossover caused MK to tone itself down. This is Scorpion crossing over into another territory, adapting to their standards. Additionally, a toned down Scorpion has also appeared in the first Injustice as DLC.

- While Scorpion may be more violent than the likes of Bayonetta and Snake, the fact still remains he wouldn't be the only character in the game that originates from M-rated titles.

- The Pit. This would be a perfect MK stage, modeled a lot like the bridge stage from the one Zelda game (Twilight Princess I believe). Additionally, it'd be kind of neat to have two random Smash fighters battling it out in the background of the stage much like we see Hornswaggle and Blaze in the original MK2. Plus the enlarged, glowing moon, volcanic eruption and night sky could really be a cool looking stage. Plus, if there's gaps on the bridge or break aways and an opponent falls down it and gets KO'd, we all know how they really ended. ;)

So there you have it. Sorry, I'm fairly sure all of this has been repeated by other pro-Scorpion members. Just wanted to let my voice be heard. :D

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Look at my name. Guess where I stand here. ;)

So yeah. I fully admit I'm not a diehard Smash player. In fact, I only played N64's at a friend's when I was a kid, owned Brawl and now Ultimate. Never played for Wii U/3DS. And I only played Melee a handful of times (never owned it, sadly). So that's my history, however I do love the idea of Smash and I enjoy popping it in every now and then to play. Followed the Fighters Pass, got all the DLC and I am always entertained with the game. And with today's announcement of 6 more DLC, I just had to make my own desires known: Scorpion. And there's a few reasons why not only do I want him, I feel he (or at least someone like Sub Zero) deserve a spot.

- Street Fighter and King of Fighters have reps. The only other fighting game that really has as much of a cultural impact as these (if not more so than KoF) is Mortal Kombat. Arguments can be made for Tekken as well. I wouldn't be against a Tekken rep either, but that's another story.

- Scorpion's move list works for Smash. He has everything already built in with his traditional MK move list, complete with a Fatality that can be modified into a Final Smash (his Toasty). Who doesn't want to reveal a skull and breath fire on Mario, Donkey Kong and Ryu and then catapult them off a stage?

- Blood and violence can be toned down for Smash. This isn't like MKvDC where the crossover caused MK to tone itself down. This is Scorpion crossing over into another territory, adapting to their standards. Additionally, a toned down Scorpion has also appeared in the first Injustice as DLC.

- While Scorpion may be more violent than the likes of Bayonetta and Snake, the fact still remains he wouldn't be the only character in the game that originates from M-rated titles.

- The Pit. This would be a perfect MK stage, modeled a lot like the bridge stage from the one Zelda game (Twilight Princess I believe). Additionally, it'd be kind of neat to have two random Smash fighters battling it out in the background of the stage much like we see Hornswaggle and Blaze in the original MK2. Plus the enlarged, glowing moon, volcanic eruption and night sky could really be a cool looking stage. Plus, if there's gaps on the bridge or break aways and an opponent falls down it and gets KO'd, we all know how they really ended. ;)

So there you have it. Sorry, I'm fairly sure all of this has been repeated by other pro-Scorpion members. Just wanted to let my voice be heard. :D

If not not Scorpion or Sub-Zero, then I want Jax or maybe Sonya! Jade could work as well!

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
If not not Scorpion or Sub-Zero, then I want Jax or maybe Sonya! Jade could work as well!
Totally agreed, but I have to admit that I would be disappointed by them being the MK reps. They just don't carry the franchise like Scorps and SZ do.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

While not related to Scorpion being able to get in Smash, color me surprised, and interested.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No Mortal Kombat characters are more iconic than Scorpion and N00b but, if I had to place my bets, I'd say that Scorpion and Sub Zero would be echo fighters, with N00b, Smoke and Reptile as costumes and one additional character as a Mii costume, though I don't know who.
Also, much as The Pit is a staple, The Dead Pool will always be the most memorable stage for me and I think that it's in with a shot.

UserKev

Smash Champion
No Mortal Kombat characters are more iconic than Scorpion and N00b but, if I had to place my bets, I'd say that Scorpion and Sub Zero would be echo fighters, with N00b, Smoke and Reptile as costumes and one additional character as a Mii costume, though I don't know who.
Also, much as The Pit is a staple, The Dead Pool will always be the most memorable stage for me and I think that it's in with a shot.
The most iconic Mortal Kombat characters are Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Shao Kahn.

Top Bottom