• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
So, do you feel like Scorpion would be Number 5, or do you think he would be one of the additional DLC characters that they had mentioned?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Scorpion will be the last DLC at the most, a nod to different priority. I'm more hyped for Scorpion's stage tho. I really want a Shao Kahn stage element.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Scorpion will be the last DLC at the most, a nod to different priority. I'm more hyped for Scorpion's stage tho. I really want a Shao Kahn stage element.
Haha... I think it would be the Pit, though. An interactive background to slam opponents into (maybe it would even function like... the stage itself gets a final smash. Or maybe thats what a MK assist could do... Fatalities.).

I want a TOASTY taunt, for sure, though.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Anyone REALLY want a Scorpion leak?! It'd be sick if we could have more legit Scorpion speculation.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
Anyone REALLY want a Scorpion leak?! It'd be sick if we could have more legit Scorpion speculation.
I was really hoping that the rumors with Ryu Hyabusa came from the fact that insiders were told that a ninja would be a DLC fighter, but weren't told which one, so they just assumed it was Ryu. But really, I try not to stress with the lack of leaks for Scorpion considering that if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo pretty much leaked that Terry would be in, I don't think I really heard much about an SNK character being in. Though I wouldn't be opposed for a potential leak to come out so more people can see that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Scorpion to get in.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I was really hoping that the rumors with Ryu Hyabusa came from the fact that insiders were told that a ninja would be a DLC fighter, but weren't told which one, so they just assumed it was Ryu. But really, I try not to stress with the lack of leaks for Scorpion considering that if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo pretty much leaked that Terry would be in, I don't think I really heard much about an SNK character being in. Though I wouldn't be opposed for a potential leak to come out so more people can see that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Scorpion to get in.
I also don't want to jinx it. Haha That's what I'm hoping what happens. A leak is both good/bad but really establishes the character in the speculation scene. Right now for Scorpion, there is really nothing to discuss.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
I would like to imagine that with there supposedly being 10 slots left for DLC characters, a good chance that many (if not all) of them being third party, and with the number of realistic picks seemingly getting smaller, that even Scorpions biggest detractors would have to at least consider the possibility of him joining. And if Vergeben, Sabi, or any well known insiders gave the slightest hint of a MK character in Smash, I will lose my mind.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean as much as I'd like Scorpion, can't deny that Ryu Hayabusa is pretty much the most iconic ninja in gaming, so if he still happened first, wouldn't mind, but Scorpion would still have a fair shot afterward.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Scorpion is a pipe dream character, but he oddly doesn't feel pipe dreamish. Or maybe its just me.

I mean as much as I'd like Scorpion, can't deny that Ryu Hayabusa is pretty much the most iconic ninja in gaming, so if he still happened first, wouldn't mind, but Scorpion would still have a fair shot afterward.
I know both characters, but I think Scorpion has a more fun and epic design in comparison.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dont know about that.
I genuinely think that Scorpion is significantly more iconic.
To start- you have to think about what it means to be an icon- and quite frankly, I think Scorpion and Mortal Kombat as a whole are better known. As a series, it is the most successful fighting game (primarily due to other media, like the amazing youtube series, and, yet again, ICONIC movies in the 90s).
Even still, just as a character, I think Scorpion is also visually more identifiable.

But I do think we should heavily consider Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Mortal Kombat. The contributions the movies played to the overall gross of these series allow them to become even bigger than what most game worlds become.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Legit Assist Trophies I can see for mk is Raiden or Johnny Cage. Sub Zero also works but he's just as an echo character.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Sub-Zero as an echo would be weird, tbh. He's not like the other echoes at all since he actually has a completely different move-set.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sub-Zero as an echo would be weird, tbh. He's not like the other echoes at all since he actually has a completely different move-set.
This notion also with the fact that Sub Zero doesn't even need to be in. MK isn't getting two newcomers anytime soon.

I think Goro would make an awesome Assist Trophy.
Goro would make sense. Kabal would also be legit with his speed mobility move. Maybe Baraka?

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Ermac using his telekinetic powers, Shang Tsung with Transformations, Motaro with his reflect abilities, D' Vorah with his bugs atacks, Blaze as mini boss and giving a temporary boost to whoever who defeats him

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What would be one for Onaga? Hm... It's just the Dragon King I feel needs more love, especially with how NRS continually neglects him. He would've been the next villain in line for the rebooted timeline after Shinnok, who I definitely would've preferred over Kronika and a good number of fans felt the same, but now, Onaga's lucky to get even easter eggs and cameos, which he admittedly got a lot of in MK11 via mentions, but still. :ohwell:

Kronika was not only the weakest executed villain in the series yet (imo), who had no prior buildup in any previous games and just appeared out of nowhere, but also the most boring boss to fight. Those random time remnants she summons really disrupted the flow of the battle. The story was good though aside from her.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What would be one for Onaga? Hm... It's just the Dragon King I feel needs more love, especially with how NRS continually neglects him. He would've been the next villain in line for the rebooted timeline after Shinnok, who I definitely would've preferred over Kronika and a good number of fans felt the same, but now, Onaga's lucky to get even easter eggs and cameos, which he admittedly got a lot of in MK11 via mentions, but still. :ohwell:

Kronika was not only the weakest executed villain in the series yet (imo), who had no prior buildup in any previous games and just appeared out of nowhere, but also the most boring boss to fight. Those random time remnants she summons really disrupted the flow of the battle. The story was good though aside from her.
I would also love for Onaga to be more explored. He needs to be given a second chance. I think with Onaga tho, Shao Kahn if not, Goro and Motaro potentially stole his spark. If not a reinvented design, he will need some serious writing and a power creep twist.

Kronika is a excellent motherly type villain, but she's underwhelming because we're so used to the badass male conqueror-esqo types.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Legit Assist Trophies I can see for mk is Raiden or Johnny Cage. Sub Zero also works but he's just as an echo character.
I'm thinking this as well. Raiden would probably be the best pick since he's the next most iconic character after Scorpion and Sub-Zero (this is following the big "if" of Sub-Zero being a hypothetical echo) and his move pool would translate pretty well also. He could teleport about the stage throwing lighting and occasionally performing the Electric Fly/Torpedo where he'd drag his target across the stage in the same manner as Ridley's Side-Special.

Cage would be a great AT also. I can see him performing his Force-Ball and Shadow Kick for the most part. He'd perform Split Punch if the target is close enough which would put that character in the crumple animation that triggers when struck by Ryu/Ken's Down-Special (this way it can imply being stuck in the crotch without chancing being too risque as well as allow R.O.B. and Piranha Plant to be affected despite lacking a humanoid lower body). When his timer runs out, he could sign an autograph and drop it right before he despawns which could be picked up and give the holder a brief buff similar to Hero's Oomph.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It seems Blaze is forgotten in mk lore these days. If World of Light were to have included a mk boss, I rate Blaze as a flawless addition. Blaze is completely likable, least brutal and very translatable to Smash. His role also has more of a innocent approach within mk, where's just wanting to act following his creator's desire.

I'm kinda hoping the writers don't butcher the character and leave him be by this point.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Blaze could work, but I think he'd be a bit too obscure for that. If MK were to get a boss, I'd say it'd either have to be Shang Tsung, Goro or Shao Khan. Shang, I think, would be the most interesting pick; he could even turn into either payable characters or even the ATs that behave like fighters which would lead to a very memorable boss battle.

Why not a Fatality focus for the assist trophy? One that does very little unless the opponent is above 100%?
That's actually a pretty interesting concept and a more unique angle for an AT to behave. I wonder what character/Fatality could work for this. Sonia's Kiss of Death could work and use Whack's assets since it'd behave similarly.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I see Shang Tsung working like Dracula, but functioning like how we control our selected character once he transforms into either character on the roster. Also, it'd be a nice pun if Shang only transform into the original 12, most iconic aside from Samus or Jigglypuff because I don't recall him ever canonically transforming into female characters.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Did my moveset concept for Scorpion. Can be found here

It's not the best and has room for change, but I've been wanting to do one with visuals to properly explain my ideas. For some things (mostly aerials) I had to use alternatives to demonstrate

UserKev

Smash Champion
Great timing. I just had a dream Scorpion was literally in Smash and it was so stressful once I woke up. The dream started with Sakurai approaching me and my real life friends in a computer room for tips on how he should develop the character. We didn't need to explain much, he just left the room and just told me to handle the idea for Scorpion's Final Smash.

I wonder how big the rally is behind Scorpion by this point?

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
Great timing. I just had a dream Scorpion was literally in Smash and it was so stressful once I woke up. The dream started with Sakurai approaching me and my real life friends in a computer room for tips on how he should develop the character. We didn't need to explain much, he just left the room and just told me to handle the idea for Scorpion's Final Smash.

I wonder how big the rally is behind Scorpion by this point?
Kind of reminds me of this one dream I had months ago where I had this false memory of Sub-Zero being in Smash, only to wake up feeling disappointed.

As for the support, it's kinda hard to get a truly definitive answer. I know that the image that had been circulating online a while ago of the top 10 most requested characters from each region didn't feature Scorpion on either of the 3 lists. While I still believe that the list is definitely inaccurate, I would be lying if I were to say that he would be in the top 10. That being said Scorpion, in my eyes at least, seriously feels like he would be in the top 50 at least.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ok, who is Really interested in being this thread's new op? The OP REALLY NEEDS A NEW UPDATE and we'd probably see an increase in supporters with a more quality thread.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
Ok, who is Really interested in being this thread's new op? The OP REALLY NEEDS A NEW UPDATE and we'd probably see an increase in supporters with a more quality thread.
Out of curiosity, what would a new OP do for a thread? This is the only forum that I have ever been active on, so I genuinely have no idea.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, what would a new OP do for a thread? This is the only forum that I have ever been active on, so I genuinely have no idea.
If you go to other character support threads like Geno or Crash, the op's have updated descriptions of the character with conceptual moveset visuals.

This is how the front page of Scorpion should look like.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You could always contact a mod to edit the 1st post I guess if nothing else.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
Ed Boon is teasing that a "big Mortal Kombat surprise" news is coming in 2020.

There is only one thing to say to Ed Boon.
Not to mention he said this at the same event where he seemed to specifically post pictures of himself on Twitter with Yoshinori Ono (Street Fighter), Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid), and John Romero (Doom)... Interesting... also my arms hurt from all this reaching, but I want to believe dammit.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Interesting... There’s still the movie reboot too. Speaking of, still kinda concerned that I haven’t seen Johnny Cage cast for it, while pretty much all the other MK1 characters are present, along with some MK2 ones.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm still opposed to Scorpion using his swords in his moveset, which Sakurai will probably go for. I also heard Nintendo/Japan has a thing against skulls? Dry Bowser anyone?

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
I'm still opposed to Scorpion using his swords in his moveset, which Sakurai will probably go for. I also heard Nintendo/Japan has a thing against skulls? Dry Bowser anyone?
I don't think I've ever heard about Japan against skulls. I know I've heard about China being weird when it comes to skeletons in media, but nothing about Japan or Nintendo.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Ed Boon is teasing that a "big Mortal Kombat surprise" news is coming in 2020.
I dont think anyone is allowed to tease a reveal before it happens.

Even if they had a thing against skulls, in MK11 the whole skull is on fire and somewhat hard to make out.

Top Bottom