• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Agreed. I could’ve waited some weeks or months later for MK11 to release if it prevented this crunching abuse for the devs, ffs. With where MK is now, essentially having a trilogy out of the NRS games, it seems a break is in order now anyway. Kinda getting fatigued too with the way grinding in this game works, and I’ve been letting the AI play through towers for me through the Noob Saibot customization Maximilian had set up and showed, but even it can only take you so far with how long the green currency and hearts takes to get compared to the regular gold koins, the green currency of which is needed more after you reset your krypt through the time vault.

Really disappointed about the DLC leak being disproven if that’s the case, as I know many (myself included) were looking forward to Ash Williams and the like. There was the intro dialogues that was posted too though, so pretty elaborate hoax if this is all fake. Some are thinking Bruce Campbell could be pulling a bait and switch with him initially denouncing the Ash rumor, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. If a rumored list of that many wanted characters looks too good to be true, it probably is.

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
Well... according to the unofficial ballot. Scorpion got a fair amount of votes. So I don't think he'll make it into the first ballot, but I could see him on DLC 2 or 3.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
But i really think they will go for the "Diferent Ninja's as Costumes"

Scorpion with 7 different Ninjas as Costumes.

Sub-Zero
Ermac
Rain
Smoke
Reptile
Noob
Chameleon
My thoughts exactly and the only difference is their special moves and their final smashes but switch out Chameleon for Tremor.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
Count me as a supporter. I love Mortal Kombat, and Scorpion being in Smash would be awesome.
I'm not as dedicated to him being in Smash as say Rayman or Reimu. But i would still be really happy if he got in.

By the way, i would pay money for a Goro Mii Costume for the Mii Brawler with just these very obvious stuffed arms as part of the costume.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_tsung_and_confirms_additional_dlc_fighters
So, the guest character leaks were real after all. Especially Ash, it was ballsy on Bruce Campbell's part to outright deny that one.
I’m cool with it. I honestly really like the characters in the leak. Shang Tsung looks awesome, it’s great to have Sindel back, and Nightwolf has always been one of my favorites. I was really looking forward to Fujin, so I’m a little bummed that he seems to be missing from the pack. Hopefully he’s still coming eventually.

Spawn is really cool too. But as someone who is deep into Mortal Kombat lore, I get way more excited when they add MK characters as opposed to guest characters. Guess I’m just a bit of an MK purist lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m cool with it. I honestly really like the characters in the leak. Shang Tsung looks awesome, it’s great to have Sindel back, and Nightwolf has always been one of my favorites. I was really looking forward to Fujin, so I’m a little bummed that he seems to be missing from the pack. Hopefully he’s still coming eventually.

Spawn is really cool too. But as someone who is deep into Mortal Kombat lore, I get way more excited when they add MK characters as opposed to guest characters. Guess I’m just a bit of an MK purist lol.
Yeah, I just hope a certain fan of Mileena's won't take it too hard.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They need to get over themselves. Mileena won't be in every MK game. It'd even ruin her character.

Noob fans had every right to be upset. Fujin comes 2nd.
I don’t agree with the idea of holding some fans to different standards than other fans. For Mileena I think they just didn’t have a vision for her in the current story setting. Kitana having her sai and tele-kicks am not a fan of though, just as Jade fans didn’t like her having the staff variation in MKX, but is what it is.

I’d be happy with Fujin or Sareena, but don’t really have expectations at this point, and would understand if they’re still not included since they’re pretty niche.

Anywho, Shang Tsung is everything I hoped for and more. How they incorporated the ninjas and some of their moves in his moveset was kinda how I pictured a revamped Shujinko if they ever brought him back, oddly enough, but with Tsung, it’s a dream come true. The finisher involving Kintaro was a fatality Shang originally had in MK2, fun fact, though I could never execute it in time during “finish him” with the briefer window there was to do fatalities back then. And nice to see that the DLC leak was real after all.

D

Deleted member

I like the DLC roster for MK11.

I would have loved to see Wolverine but I understand why he isn’t in.

Bruce Campbell rocks, and I’m glad to see him in the game.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
The DLC is dope. I got 2 out of the 4 MK characters I wanted (Sindel & Nightwolf), and my dad is a huge Spawn fan. Also, the MK movie refrences were awesome. I don't know much about Ash, and Terminator is neat.

I'm hoping we at least get 2 more Kombat Packs. This is easily the funnest MK game I've played since 9 (sorry X), so I'd love to see the game continue to get support.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
The DLC is dope. I got 2 out of the 4 MK characters I wanted (Sindel & Nightwolf), and my dad is a huge Spawn fan. Also, the MK movie refrences were awesome. I don't know much about Ash, and Terminator is neat.

I'm hoping we at least get 2 more Kombat Packs. This is easily the funnest MK game I've played since 9 (sorry X), so I'd love to see the game continue to get support.
MKX is the most fun for me. MKX's aesthetic is fascinating and gameplay is still well fluid and advanced.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
MKX is the most fun for me. MKX's aesthetic is fascinating and gameplay is still well fluid and advanced.
I like X. My only issue is that there were a bit to many 50/50 moves, and I liked the more laid back nature of 11. Also, the color pallete in X was a bit a bland.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Weird, I recently got the Switch version & haven't had any issues. Even a lot of people in that article said they weren't having problems. I wonder what is is.

Anyways, I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but I wanted to go over a few reasons why Scorpion could be DLC.
  1. Warner Brothers (the parent company of Mortal Kombat) & Nintendo are very buddy-buddy with eachother. Warner Brothers has published multiple Nintendo exclusive games (Scribblenauts & a few wii exclusives), and has also assisted Nitendo by helping to publish several animated Pokemon films. Warner Brothers also produce the new live-action Pokemon film, Detective Pickachu.
  2. Mortal Kombat/Scorpion have appeared on almost every Nintendo console. SNES, 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Wii, Scorpion appeared in Injustice which was also sold on the Wii U, and now Mortal Kombat 11 is on the Switch (Nintendo's newest console).
  3. Mortal Kombat is a huge part of gaming history, and responsible for the ESRB rating (something that affects every game release in the US today).
  4. With MK11 being really big atm & the new MK movie coming out, it'd make sense from a marketting standpoint.
There's only one real con, and that's the fact that MK is banned in Japan. However, the older MK titles were still sold in Japan & Injustice was sold in Japan (which featured Scorpion).

UserKev

Smash Champion
Weird, I recently got the Switch version & haven't had any issues. Even a lot of people in that article said they weren't having problems. I wonder what is is.

Anyways, I've been meaning to do this for awhile, but I wanted to go over a few reasons why Scorpion could be DLC.
  1. Warner Brothers (the parent company of Mortal Kombat) & Nintendo are very buddy-buddy with eachother. Warner Brothers has published multiple Nintendo exclusive games (Scribblenauts & a few wii exclusives), and has also assisted Nitendo by helping to publish several animated Pokemon films. Warner Brothers also produce the new live-action Pokemon film, Detective Pickachu.
  2. Mortal Kombat/Scorpion have appeared on almost every Nintendo console. SNES, 64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Wii, Scorpion appeared in Injustice which was also sold on the Wii U, and now Mortal Kombat 11 is on the Switch (Nintendo's newest console).
  3. Mortal Kombat is a huge part of gaming history, and responsible for the ESRB rating (something that affects every game release in the US today).
  4. With MK11 being really big atm & the new MK movie coming out, it'd make sense from a marketting standpoint.
There's only one real con, and that's the fact that MK is banned in Japan. However, the older MK titles were still sold in Japan & Injustice was sold in Japan (which featured Scorpion).
That's definitely an interesting take. To be fairly realistic, Scorpion has at least like 30% likeliness.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder how often people import copies of MK over there, considering that the latest entries have been region-free. Also, I didn't expect that manga series to get past its legal issues, never mind get an anime version.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Going to ask we please link Mortal Kombat videos instead of embedding them. We're still a PG-13 site. Also, those with any gore/etc. shouldn't be linked unless they're official gameplay videos/trailers. I know the original MK games are pretty low on the overall gore scale, but please be courteous to younger members of this site. Likewise, embeds can sometimes show a lot of blood/gore due to the video preview.

That said, I find the "sudden talent" a pretty fun trope if used for comedy like this. Also, I wonder of "ultimate" is the more specific thing used for finishing moves in the Japanese versions. It's a fitting term either way. I have no clue if the Japanese version has unique sound bytes or they kept them all from the English versions. Fatality was there and all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The worst that video/cameo showed was the MK1 Scorpion fatality which isn't gory at all... but okay. Will keep in mind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The worst that video/cameo showed was the MK1 Scorpion fatality which isn't gory at all... but okay. Will keep in mind.
The blood still counts for what we want link only.

Trust me, if it was massively gory, the video would need to be removed altogether. Truthfully, the 2D games are super tame. I wouldn't even consider that a problem as long as it's linked with a blood warning. It's also why I edited in a warning that wasn't about gore.

I also talked to Venus a bit. Yeah, the Fatality stuff is said in English. That's interesting. It looks like it wasn't heavily translated in general for games. I'm not sure what would be, though. Probably things like Story Mode, etc. But I could see basic sound clips staying the same, to make it easier to port over.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It seems so weird to me that anyone in a Mortal Kombat thread would have any trouble with its signature gore. I understand the rules and the reasons for them here; but the idea of a Mortal Kombat fan not able handle what the series is most known for feels so foreign to me.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can easily imagine a Scorpion Kirby hat and Kirby using his spear. Also, I'm happy Scorpion moveset videos are becoming daily-ish.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
MK has always had a decent following in Japan. There's even YouTube where this guy breaks down MK's popularity over there despite being banned for consoles (you can still order from Amazon for PC).

UserKev

Smash Champion
MK has always had a decent following in Japan. There's even YouTube where this guy breaks down MK's popularity over there despite being banned for consoles (you can still order from Amazon for PC).
Scorpion is considered to be generally unlikely, but I'm actually confident with his odds. Scorpion suddenly popping up would be one of the most surreal things I've seen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do wonder though, would Sakurai apply "international accessibility" to West-only IPs/games as much as Japan-only ones? If so, it would be a big obstacle. Japan-only characters being barred from being playable in Smash after Melee is one thing Sakurai hasn't changed his mind on yet. Seeing as Takamaru didn't have timing on his side in regards to Murasame Castle's US release (that and the general unlikelihood of his game getting a sequel), and Lucas probably wouldn't have been in Brawl if it was widely known that Mother 3 wasn't planned to be exported.

Though at least MK is a thriving series, so there may be some leeway there...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I do wonder though, would Sakurai apply "international accessibility" to West-only IPs/games as much as Japan-only ones? If so, it would be a big obstacle. Japan-only characters being barred from being playable in Smash after Melee is one thing Sakurai hasn't changed his mind on yet. Seeing as Takamaru didn't have timing on his side in regards to Murasame Castle's US release (that and the general unlikelihood of his game getting a sequel), and Lucas probably wouldn't have been in Brawl if it was widely known that Mother 3 wasn't planned to be exported.

Though at least MK is a thriving series, so there may be some leeway there...
Scorpion would rack in some serious financial and would easily become many new mains. In a general sense, the Japanese could take a generally liking to Scorpion than MK.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, all of the original MK games were sold in Japan & played in Japanese arcades. I feel, if Sakurai does decide to add Scorpion, he'll probably take that into consideration.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, all of the original MK games were sold in Japan & played in Japanese arcades. I feel, if Sakurai does decide to add Scorpion, he'll probably take that into consideration.
Good to know, I wasn't sure if Gamefaqs had listed all their releases correctly.

But yeah, B-K got sold in Japan too long before they got confirmed, so in that case it's no problem at all. The only obstacle left is dealing with the support of 99% of Western characters that people want to see in Smash, so Scorpion may not be the highest priority...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm finding my self wondering what Sakurai would do with Scorpion's reveal trailer. What characters would he feature in it? Its so exciting to think about.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Ryu, or Ken. Mario to. I could imagine Mario & Ryu fighting eachother, and then Scorpion comes out the cut and Smashes Mario away. Then the two biggest fighting game characters of all time face off.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think I figured out the proper specials for Scorpion.

Neutral Special: Spear
Not much needs to be said here. It's the klassic Scorpion move. Works in the air, instantly performing his air throw he has in certain games like in MK9.

With that said, you can't set up combos with a stun, instead having a sword strike like MK11. And for both the air and ground versions, you choose the direction of the attack.

Side Special: Hell Flame (Nether Flame if they decide to censor the H word)
I hesitated between it and Demon Dash, but Hell Flame is slightly more prominent, as a similar move was in MKX as both a variation move and part of a Fatality. This type of projectile is also common in MK as a whole, so it's good franchise representation.

As a neat little touch to how you can decide the range depending on your input in MK11, you have the option of deciding how far the fireball goes depending on how long you hold the B button.

Up Special: Burning Wraith
Completely made up, being simply him launching himself while being covered in flames, but it has some connection to the games, as both his MKX X-Ray and one of his MK11 Fatalities has a similar thing. The direction can be chosen.

Down Special: Hell Port (Nether Port)
If he is within range of an enemy, he will teleport to them, striking them with a somewhat weak blow, but still packs enough of a punch to reset neutral.
What I like about these four is that you could switch out the Spear and reanimate the fire as Ice, and all would work for Subzero- which is one of many reasons I see him as a strongly likely Echo (And an echo that would actually boost the chances of Scorpion getting in in the first place). I also think the echo of Sub zero with Scorpion makes the franchise of MK feel complete, and is where the extra little bits of development time for this series would go (such as in four costumes for Hero, or possible rhymes from Gruntilda for Banjo and Kazooie).

Second Gimmick: Traditional Kombat (Kommand Inputs + Always facing foe in 1v1 + Special Kancels)
Basically, just like Ryu and Ken due to all three being from traditional fighting games, he gets extra damage and knockback from most of his specials when doing the kommand inputs. He also gets the same gimmick of always facing the foe on 1v1s to make those inputs easier.
I think this works great- it then becomes less of a character gimmick, and more of a fighting game trope. Have it for Tekken, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat. Trifecta complete!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I actually don't want to see Scorpion's "Iconic" designs (MK 1/2/3) since their too basic/simplistic. Scorpion's MK9 and MK11 design are brilliant nods to his classic look and could work just as classically well in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
How can you see Scorpion's newcomer font if he's revealed? I envision they'd be friendly while maintaining spicy.

I can see "Scorpion Takes Flame" or "Scorpion Brings The Skull!"

Other mentions I see, spear, rivalry, heat and fist.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How can you see Scorpion's newcomer font if he's revealed? I envision they'd be friendly while maintaining spicy.

I can see "Scorpion Takes Flame" or "Scorpion Brings The Skull!"

Other mentions I see, spear, rivalry, heat and fist.
Scorpion Is Next!

Would be pretty basic, but it would be a nod to the MKX and MK11 trailers, which used "Who's Next?" a lot, iirc

Top Bottom