• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
No. I'm not buying it.

Sakurai finds it easier to work with Japanese developers, but this is Nintendo as a whole picking out the choices. Western studios? Very viable. For Nintendo it's business.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hanzo Hasashi/Scorpion is Japanese though. :p

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
True there, though I still think they'd have to go with someone a little easier first, like from Microsoft or Ubi Soft. Warner Bros. is the Mt. Everest of game-related companies, and that's before they can get to Netherrealm.

Yeah, though the difference is modern MK games absolutely revel in hyperdetailed kills. It's not the amount of death that matters, but how it's depicted.

Granted, the Bayonetta series isn't clean itself either. I think bringing in one of the iconic locales would be fine though, seeing how Dracula's Castle got in just fine, monsters and all.

And having Johnny Cage as an AT would be the most hilarious thing, it'd be the best way to get away with his famous Split Punch.
Good point about bayonetta that game is crazy gory! An mk2 character model be hilarious looking!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, though the difference is modern MK games absolutely revel in hyperdetailed kills. It's not the amount of death that matters, but how it's depicted.

Granted, the Bayonetta series isn't clean itself either. I think bringing in one of the iconic locales would be fine though, seeing how Dracula's Castle got in just fine, monsters and all.

And having Johnny Cage as an AT would be the most hilarious thing, it'd be the best way to get away with his famous Split Punch.
A potential counterargument that could be made here is that, while there are very gory kills in Bayo's games (notably the Torture Attacks), they're not actually brought over in Smash.

Not saying that to be a nay-sayer. Scoprion's a dream pick of mine, after all.

But then, that means the same can be done to Scorpion, because what makes Mortal Kombat as gory as it is are the finishers, much like Bayonetta's Torture Attacks.

And Scorpion just so happens to have a Fatality that's both iconic and able to be toned down to fit an E10+ rating, essentially making him the only MK character who can get away with having a Fatality as a Final Smash.

And MK characters actually translate into other fighting games perfectly. Don't let MK vs DC fool you in that aspect, because they really transitionned well in Injustice.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yes MK characters can adapt, we have seen that, especially with Scorpion. Got to remember that he was a guest character in Injustice: Gods Amongst Us, where there are no fatalities.

It's crazy, my love for Scorpion being in Smash has skyrocketed lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Another thing added to later Mortal Kombat games is how forceful each blow is. They look like they hurt severely, and aren't for the weak of heart. This easily exists in Smash. If Ganondorf didn't prove it, Ridley did.

The biggest barrier is MK not having a presence in Japan. Scorpion is pretty iconic, though, as many know who he is, especially non-gamers. His iconic phrase is a key factor in that too. He's also among the various Halloween costumes you'll find(Sub-Zero sometimes is too, but not as often). Also, isn't MK11 supposed to finally hit Japan again?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And MK characters actually translate into other fighting games perfectly. Don't let MK vs DC fool you in that aspect, because they really transitionned well in Injustice.
Well of course, no denying that. I remember how they even censored Joker's fatality in MKvDC because it was apparently TOO violent for the rating.

Another thing added to later Mortal Kombat games is how forceful each blow is. They look like they hurt severely, and aren't for the weak of heart. This easily exists in Smash. If Ganondorf didn't prove it, Ridley did.

The biggest barrier is MK not having a presence in Japan. Scorpion is pretty iconic, though, as many know who he is, especially non-gamers. His iconic phrase is a key factor in that too. He's also among the various Halloween costumes you'll find(Sub-Zero sometimes is too, but not as often). Also, isn't MK11 supposed to finally hit Japan again?
Apart from Dorf, Bowser casually bites people, even Peach.

Yeah, as far as Japan's concerned, it's like the problem with characters like Goemon and Lip, but in reverse. Though it helps that Scorpion is more of an anti-hero than villain, too.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And that's not mentionning the fact that both Ridley and Corrin have moves that visibly impale opponents.

So his iconic spear isn't exactly out of place either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And that's not mentionning the fact that both Ridley and Corrin have moves that visibly impale opponents.

So his iconic spear isn't exactly out of place either.
Not like it needs the blood. Look at the Hookshot. Nuff said.

I was only ever worried about too much brute force, but Smash proved that wrong. It being extremely unpopular in Japan does hurt his chances, though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not like it needs the blood. Look at the Hookshot. Nuff said.

I was only ever worried about too much brute force, but Smash proved that wrong. It being extremely unpopular in Japan does hurt his chances, though.
It being popular out of Japan can really help though. Especially since Japan is only a minority of the Smash audience.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It being popular out of Japan can really help though. Especially since Japan is only a minority of the Smash audience.
Generally, Sakurai wants worldwide appeal. Nintendo also wants as much sales as possible. Business-wise, Scorpion doesn't like a good idea. Though I could see him in just because of MK11 being on the Switch is a larger incentive to say yes. Not the main reason, but the "last piece".

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Speaking of MK11, looking at it more from screenshot comparisons that were taken like this one, I really like how the "2nd Scorpion" that appears in the initial trailer resembles not only UMK3 Scorpion but other versions of him at the time (before they changed his design more from Deadly Alliance and onward), and the outfit and mask particularly looks so much like the one from Sub-Zero Mythologies and I guess MK2. The resemblance is uncanny.

Screen_Shot_2019-01-11_at_11.50.11_PM.png

His MKX designs didn't really do it for me particularly, so am glad to see a blast from the past Scorpion comeback here, which as mentioned before would be the perfect go-to design for Smash.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Very true. Outside of Japan, Mortal Kombat and Scorpion are household names to anyone who either played a video games or lived through the 90's. The series wasn't some niche cult classic, it was a cultural phenomenon that left a lasting impact on gaming as a whole. It's one of those games that made such a mark that even people who didn't play games could easily tell you what it was and even name a few characters, Scorpion included.

I know it isn't such a big thing in Japan, but sure it's at least heard of over there. I would liken it to Dragon Quest, a series that is massive in Japan but doesn't have much of a foothold outside it, however, it is well-known enough out here for people to respect its legacy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No. I'm not buying it.

Sakurai finds it easier to work with Japanese developers, but this is Nintendo as a whole picking out the choices. Western studios? Very viable. For Nintendo it's business.
Besides, even Sak acknowledges there's only so many JP devs with globally-known series remaining regardless whether the wells of the ones already onboard are dried up or not. Deaths of lesser-known companies like Data East and Irem didn't help.

Very true. Outside of Japan, Mortal Kombat and Scorpion are household names to anyone who either played a video games or lived through the 90's. The series wasn't some niche cult classic, it was a cultural phenomenon that left a lasting impact on gaming as a whole. It's one of those games that made such a mark that even people who didn't play games could easily tell you what it was and even name a few characters, Scorpion included.

I know it isn't such a big thing in Japan, but sure it's at least heard of over there. I would liken it to Dragon Quest, a series that is massive in Japan but doesn't have much of a foothold outside it, however, it is well-known enough out here for people to respect its legacy.
Yeah, though the comparison isn't entirely perfect since at least we still get DQ games. MK games are a rare sight over there, assuming there are any individual gamers that buy imports for that series over there at all.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Besides, even Sak acknowledges there's only so many JP devs with globally-known series remaining regardless whether the wells of the ones already onboard are dried up or not. Deaths of lesser-known companies like Data East and Irem didn't help.

Yeah, though the comparison isn't entirely perfect since at least we still get DQ games. MK games are a rare sight over there, assuming there are any individual gamers that buy imports for that series over there at all.
Fair enough, I'm not sure what the situation is entirely over in Japan and if his name was big enough out here to be heard of over there. Though I do say DQ is still just as rare despite Square's efforts and releases, it never had a presence around where I live growing up and only sometimes popped in stores in recent years to mostly be ignored (I am looking forward to picking up the Switch release and finally experience the series though). Still, I do respect it's iconic status in Japan and would gladly welcome any content in Smash, hopefully the players in Japan would share that view regarding MK.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Only saw bits and pieces of it due to work, but it was some interesting stuff overall. Mixed on the Skarlet redesign, but Geras was a cool new character. Don’t remember too much what I saw of Scorpion though but with how customizable MK11 is for all characters to begin with, there’ll be some new stuff to draw from for Smash moveset ideas for sure. That said, Sub-Zero’s new stuff looked pretty sick.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
So far, 11 looks pretty good and I like Scorpion's new design in it. I'm curious about what the story will entail this time since it looks like the past will clash with the present.

Been watching a lot of the older games to get hyped, which got me thinking as to which characters would make good spirit battles. Anybody ever think of some ideas?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So far, 11 looks pretty good and I like Scorpion's new design in it. I'm curious about what the story will entail this time since it looks like the past will clash with the present.

Been watching a lot of the older games to get hyped, which got me thinking as to which characters would make good spirit battles. Anybody ever think of some ideas?
Shang Tsung as Kirby.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905

Goro as Donkey Kong.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Zero Suit Samus = Sonya Blade.
Yoshi = Reptile.
Ryu = Liu Kang.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Someone said DK as Goro.

I follow this up with Bowser as Kintaro.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers

Ganon- Kotal Khan
DK- Could be like Goro, Jax, or Ferra and Torr
ROB- Cyrax/Sektor just cus y'know Cyborgs
Just to spitball lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ganon- Kotal Khan
DK- Could be like Goro, Jax, or Ferra and Torr
ROB- Cyrax/Sektor just cus y'know Cyborgs
Just to spitball lol
Actually, isn't Dark Samus the closest thing we have to a cyborg. It's phazon possessing a metal suit.

We don't have literally have a half-flesh/half-robot character just yet. I mean, there's the Meta Ridley costume.

R.O.B. is still a good pick, but considering the cyber-ninjas also use missiles, Dark Samus could indeed work. She also has something close to red, but otherwise, yellow and gray costumes. Regular Samus has a white costume, but doesn't really have a "yellow" costume, as her red costume has yellow on it as well.

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Actually, isn't Dark Samus the closest thing we have to a cyborg. It's phazon possessing a metal suit.

We don't have literally have a half-flesh/half-robot character just yet. I mean, there's the Meta Ridley costume.

R.O.B. is still a good pick, but considering the cyber-ninjas also use missiles, Dark Samus could indeed work. She also has something close to red, but otherwise, yellow and gray costumes. Regular Samus has a white costume, but doesn't really have a "yellow" costume, as her red costume has yellow on it as well.
That's a very very good point. Samus/Dark Samus would be better. But they just didn't pop into my head at the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's a very very good point. Samus/Dark Samus would be better. But they just didn't pop into my head at the time.
R.O.B. is the only full-out robot, and some of the Cyber-Ninjas feel like pure machines at times, especially with the voices. Some might not even know that. Like if you watched Annihilation, I don't remember them explaining the Cyber-Ninjas properly. Sektor/Smoke were combined into one, and Cyrax just showed up out of nowhere. Though if I remember right, didn't they just insert the human spirit into the machine, making it not really a cyborg(which has actual flesh) and a pure robot, just with a human soul? Or did they have some organs transferred over(like the brain). I can't really remember other than the Lin Kuei members becoming Cyber Ninjas.

In a twist, I wonder how many thought Samus was just a robot in Smash 64...

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
R.O.B. is the only full-out robot, and some of the Cyber-Ninjas feel like pure machines at times, especially with the voices. Some might not even know that. Like if you watched Annihilation, I don't remember them explaining the Cyber-Ninjas properly. Sektor/Smoke were combined into one, and Cyrax just showed up out of nowhere. Though if I remember right, didn't they just insert the human spirit into the machine, making it not really a cyborg(which has actual flesh) and a pure robot, just with a human soul? Or did they have some organs transferred over(like the brain). I can't really remember other than the Lin Kuei members becoming Cyber Ninjas.

In a twist, I wonder how many thought Samus was just a robot in Smash 64...
Mortal Kombat lore loves to switch up from game to game and just not make sense. For example the 3 main Cyborgs are Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke but in MK9 it is Sektor/Cyrax/Sub-Zero(Kuai Liang) in the story. For whatever reason in 9 they kept Smoke human. Now, if I remember correctly it is their soul that is stolen. And to answer your other question The three do combine as well as separate into the 3. In the lore when they are combined they are simply just known as Triborg.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wouldn't Incineroar work better for Kintaro? They're both fire users and tigers. Plus, some wrestling-like abilities work well for the Shokan.
Then Incin would work well for Kintaro too.

But I specifically picked Bowser because he looked humanoid-ish (at least more so than Charizard) while also being able to breath fire.

I guess Incin with the Curry effect could work too though...

For example the 3 main Cyborgs are Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke but in MK9 it is Sektor/Cyrax/Sub-Zero(Kuai Liang) in the story. For whatever reason in 9 they kept Smoke human.
In all fairness for that, MK9 is a soft reboot of the franchise caused by Raiden sending a message to his past self after Shao Kahn won Armageddon.

It only makes sense that messing with the past events would mess up the future. Literally every time travel plot does that at least once. :p

What doesn't make sense is that Sub-Zero went back to human in the next game and the only thing they could do to explain it is "because Quan Chi"

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Pit: L..Lady Palutena...just who is this guy?
Palutena: He’s Scorpion and an extremely powerful ninja.
Pit: I’m getting the heebie jeebies just from standing near him.
Palutena: I don’t find that surprising. He’s a fighter without equal and seeks revenge for the destruction of his clan.
Viridi: I think I found my newest recruit!
Palutena: Think again, Viridi. Scorpion fights only for himself and his clan. He’s not exactly a team player. He has tremendous power and skill. He can also control fire from the underworld! He would rather annhiliate you than aid you.
Viridi: I can be quite persuasive!
Palutena: Not after he rips out your skull along with your spine and then sets you on fire...
Viridi and Pit: .........
Pit: And why is he in Smash? This is supposed to be kid friendly.
Palutena: Sorry but there aren’t any Friendships in this game.
Viridi: P..P..Pit...I’m sorry all the means things I said to you. Just come back to us in ONE PIECE, not in many pieces.
Pit: .....Viridi....
Palutena: Yes, please do. I don’t want a toasty angel with singed wings coming back.
Pit: Gulp...

God damn Japan region autocorrect!

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Palutena: I don’t find that surprising. He’s a fighter without equal and seeks revenge for the destruction of his clan.
Palutena: Think again, Viridi. Scorpion fights only for himself and his clan. He’s not exactly a team player. He has tremendous power and skill. He can also control fire from the underworld! He would rather annhiliate you than aid you.
Palutena: Not after he rips out your skull along with your spine and then sets you on fire...
Viridi: P..P..Pit...I’m sorry all the means things I said to you. Just come back to us in ONE PIECE, not in many pieces.
Palutena: Yes, please do. I don’t want a toasty angel with singed wings coming back.

That's really great, love it.

Also, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom How is the advertisement for Mortal Kombat's return to Japan?
Have you seen any marketing for MK11?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Time for some BBQ-fried Pit!

Mortal Kombat lore loves to switch up from game to game and just not make sense. For example the 3 main Cyborgs are Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke but in MK9 it is Sektor/Cyrax/Sub-Zero(Kuai Liang) in the story. For whatever reason in 9 they kept Smoke human. Now, if I remember correctly it is their soul that is stolen. And to answer your other question The three do combine as well as separate into the 3. In the lore when they are combined they are simply just known as Triborg.
Huh. I only played 9 so far. So in 10 the Triborg is introduced, right?

That said, my question was whether they were the classic cyborg(part flesh, part machine) or not. Guess they aren't. Funny thing is their name seems more "Cybernetic Ninja", but they obviously have Cyborg in mind too as proven as the Triborg, though that could just be a good name alone. I do remember that they were based upon the Predator as well(who became an actual guest to tie it all home).

Then Incin would work well for Kintaro too.

But I specifically picked Bowser because he looked humanoid-ish (at least more so than Charizard) while also being able to breath fire.

I guess Incin with the Curry effect could work too though...
Both are legit options. :)

In all fairness for that, MK9 is a soft reboot of the franchise caused by Raiden sending a message to his past self after Shao Kahn won Armageddon.

It only makes sense that messing with the past events would mess up the future. Literally every time travel plot does that at least once. :p

What doesn't make sense is that Sub-Zero went back to human in the next game and the only thing they could do to explain it is "because Quan Chi"
It is possible the Cyberninja process changed due to the reboot's design. Plus, Quan Chi can remove souls. Putting his soul back in a humanoid body is actually believable. My issue is how Sub-Zero stayed alive during all this in human form without a soul. Cryogenic freezing?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Heck yeah I finally found the Scoripon support thread! Go ahead and sign me up as a supporter, it’d be really cool to see him in!

I also want to share my Scorpion moveset here, it’s definitely got a ton of issues, but I did my best to research to make the best best moveset I could for him based on my little knowledge of Mortal Kombat.

Scorpion Moveset

Joining from the classically acclaimed and eternally brutal Mortal Kombat series, Scorpion has come to Smash to show just how deadly a scorpion can really sting. Scorpion uses moves directly inspired by those featured in the plethora of Mortal Kombat titles in battle, with the spirit of utter violence and brutality being encapsulated while still toning down the overall gore to be more suitable for wider audiences. This allows Scorpion to truly showcase the spirit of Mortal Kombat while still meshing wonderfully with the world of Smash.

Scorpion’s actual stats while in battle are extremely similar to his stats in the Mortal Kombat games, with him having an all-around pretty average weight, a somewhat slow speed, and a below average jump height. Scorpion makes up for these subpar stats with his quick yet powerful attacks and strong recovery, allowing him to deal damage at a quick rate while still having the launch power necessary to get a swift victory.

Scorpion also possesses a special form of Final Smash known as a Fatality. Essentially, Scorpion has a total of 4 different Final Smashes that he can unleash depending on what direction the control stick is tilted. This allows Scorpion to surprise his foes in a variety of fun an exciting ways and ensures to always be a blast to play when having Final Smashes available during battle.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Fire Ball- Scorpion sends out a ball of hellfire towards the opponent, functioning much like it does in the Mortal Kombat games. The ball deals multihit damage and can be canceled. By charging the attack, it becomes Hell Ball, a larger, more powerful fireball that deals even more damage and knockback.

Side Special: Minion Summon- Functioning somewhat similarly to Greninja’s side special, Scorpion controls a portal of flames that slides across the stage, with Scorpion having control over where the portal ends up and when the actual attack starts until a few seconds has passed. Once the attack begins, one of Scorpion’s minions from the MK games quickly crawls out of the portal and attacks opponents in different ways. If the minion is near an opponent it will perform a Minion charge and strike the opponent, dealing massive damage if done in the back. If the opponent is in the air near the minion, it will teleport above the opponent and drop into them, having a possible meteor effect. If the minion is summoned directly beneath the opponent, it will grab onto their legs and hold them in place while dealing steady damage, allowing Scorpion to follow up with an easy counterattack. By charging the attack fully before releasing the minion, it will become powered up and deal more powerful versions of whatever attack it is currently performing. Overall an incredibly versatile move that can easily change the flow of a battle.

Up Special: Teleport Punch- This move is a very unique recovery move in that it’s completely dependent on where his opponent is positioned at the given moment. The attack involves Scorpion instantly teleporting to wherever the opponent and performing a punch attack that deals below average damage. To prevent the move from being overpowered, there are several stipulations on the attack. For one, the move will always put Scorpion into a helpless state after performed, meaning opponents can pretty easily bait Scorpion into wasting his recovery while off stage. In addition, to prevent the move from being easily spammable while on stage, the move does have a 7 second cooldown before it can be used again. To make up for these restrictions, the move can be used to teleport to absolutely any location on the stage that an opponent is present, regardless of range. Like his other specials, the move can also be charged to perform a Flameport, an additional flaming uppercut that deals significantly more knockback and damage, at the cost of taking longer to charge and thus being more easily punishable for opponents. The move must be used very carefully despite its initial sense of power in order to make best use of its incredible recovery and potential launch power.

Down Special: Inner Flames- Scorpion bursts with flames that surround his entire being, greatly powering up his attacks temporarily. While in this state, all of his attacks are powered up and deal a fire attribute in damage, and his specials will take less time to reach their charged up state. By charging up this move, Scorpion will unleash Flame Aura. This will cause all of Scorpion’s attacks to be even more powerful, and all of his specials will be automatically in their charged up state upon use. However, to balance out this immense power, the Flame Aura will deal 3% of recoil damage every second while in use, meaning the attack should only be used when in an advantageous state in battle.

Normals:

Jab: Using his swords, Scorpion performs a Doom Blade move, rapidly slashing at his opponents while dealing good damage.

F-Tilt: Scorpion performs a Doom Slice with his sword, slicing upward and allowing for easy follow-up combos to occur afterwards.

U-Tilt: Scorpion performs a similar sword-type move, slicing upwards from one side to the other, dealing slight damage but being great for follow-ups.

D-Tilt: Scorpion slides into his opponents, performing a Hellish Slide. The move is good for tripping opponents and is very useful overall despite not dealing much damage.

Dash Attack: This move is a modified version of his Teleport Punch move, with Scorpion bursting forward at an incredible speed and punching the opponent at the end of the attack. The attack doesn’t deal any damage until the actual punch, but is great for increasing mobility.

Smashes:

F-Smash: Scorpion takes his signature spear kunai, lights it on fire, and quickly thrusts it forward. The move deals incredible fire damage at the tip of the spear.

U-Smash: Scorpion summons a minion to fly upwards out of a flame portal from the ground and attack opponents. By charging fully, the minion will be in a powered up state and deal far more damage.

D-Smash: The mask is quickly ripped off of Scorpion revealing his skeletal features, with him then breathing fire on opponents at a downward angle. The fire deals minimal damage but racks up over time.

Aerials:

N-Air: One of the few moves in Scorpion’s arsenal not based off of a MK move, Scorpion swings his kunai around him in a 360 motion, being a great move for combos.

F-Air: Scorpion summons the giant log from his Judgement attack and swings it forward to hit opponents. The move is incredibly slow but deals insane damage if it hits, having a guaranteed meteor effect. In addition, like how the attack works in the MK series, Scorpion will heal some damage if the attack successfully hits. Very strong attack overall.

U-Air: Derived from his Burning Assault attack, Scorpion spits a fireball into the air, dealing slight damage. Doing the attack again while the fireball is still out will have Scorpion slash his kunai upward, which will catch on fire and deal massive damage at the tip. The second part of the attack is difficult to execute properly but deals great damage if completed.

D-Air: This move is very unique in that it isn’t really an attack, but instead a means of mobility. The move has Scorpion teleport directly downwards without dealing any damage at any point in the attack. The move puts Scorpion into a helpless state and is really only useful to allow Scorpion to escape combos and have more movement options.

B-Air: A very basic attack, Scorpion simply kicks behind him, dealing little damage but being a reliable, quick move for combos.

Grab/Pummel: For his grab, Scorpion shoots out his spear, hooks onto opponents, and pulls them to him while shouting one of his signature phrases. The grab may seem to be a sort of tether, but in the air it can’t be used to grab onto ledges or hit enemies. For the Pummel, Scorpion violently bashes the opponent with his fist.

Throws: Scorpion performs a Knee Launch for his forward throw, punching opponents and then launching them away with a hit to the knee. Back throw has Scorpion impale opponents and sling them behind him (in a very non-gory way). Up throw has Scorpion take opponent into the air and perform an Air Throw, brutally launching foe into the ground. For Down throw, Scorpion performs a Hanzo Hasashi Kombo-Ender 2, with him stomping on opponents’ heads with fire to get in the air and then thrusting downward with his sword to impale the opponents.

Final Smash/ Fatalities:

Neutral: Toasty!- Scorpion’s most famous fatality, he removes his mask to show his skeletal face and then breathes an enormous stream of fire on enemies and leaves them in a cartoony, ashen state, with the phrase ‘Toasty!’ being shouted.

Side: Scorpion Sting- Scorpion morphs into a gigantic version of a real-world Scorpion, tramples over the opponent, and then stings them with the stinger to deal massive damage. Afterward, he reverts back to normal.

Up: Hand from Hell- Scorpion raises his hand, causing a giant, flaming, skeletal hand to burst out of the ground and grab opponents. The hand then takes opponents to the fiery darkness below, serving as an insta-kill if the foe is 100% or higher.

Down: Annihilation- Scorpion does his victory pose from the first Mortal Kombat game as the ground around the stage begins to violently shake, with him and all opponents then being transported to Scorpion’s Lair, where an army of Scorpion clones will completely destroy the opponents with an onslaught of brutal attacks. The screen will then go dark and opponents will be instantly KO’d regardless of percent. The stage and battle will then revert back to normal.

Taunts: Up taunt has Scorpion take out a small Scorpion doll as the text “Buy a Scorpion Doll” flash on screen, reference to Scorpion’s Scorpion Doll Sale friendship move. Side taunt has Scorpion wind a box that has a skull pop out as a reference to the Skull-in-the-Box move. Down taunt has Scorpion wave kunai around while saying one of his famous phrases.

Alts: Scorpion’s 7 alts are all very vivid and unique, being based off of his skins from the 2011 Mortal Kombat. Some skins include Kold War, Klassic, Injustice, and others.

Stage: The Pit- One of the most iconic Mortal Kombat arenas, this stage is incredibly basic overall. The stage is one long stretch of plain land set in a nighttime background, with there being no bottom blastzone. The only special feature of the stage comes from final smashes used on the stage; any final smashes that happen during the stage itself (i.e. non-cutscene final smashes) will be automatically transported to the spiky Pit Bottom, adding an extra flair to the battle. Overall a great stage for competitive play.

Boxing Ring Title: “The Fatal Sting of Death”

Let me know what you all think!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be honest, I'd say this heavily affects his chances. MK is not popular in the East at all. If they keep making it impossible for the games to come there, it doesn't sound like they'd also sell well as a Smash character.

I won't pretend this outright means "no", as just being brutal alone is proven to work, thanks to Ridley. So fitting them in without using blood and gore is absolutely possible. But would people like any MK character like that? VS DC Universe was heavily panned due to the lack of the extreme violence, after all. So my thought is that it might be something that would have a hard time as DLC overall, enough to pick someone else, but could work fine as base. Considering Ridley was a Western pick among the ballot results, catering to one region isn't that odd. DLC, however, should cater a bit enough to both for sales. Base roster has more than enough characters that a few additions people don't like isn't going to often affect sales.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest, I'd say this heavily affects his chances. MK is not popular in the East at all. If they keep making it impossible for the games to come there, it doesn't sound like they'd also sell well as a Smash character.

I won't pretend this outright means "no", as just being brutal alone is proven to work, thanks to Ridley. So fitting them in without using blood and gore is absolutely possible. But would people like any MK character like that? VS DC Universe was heavily panned due to the lack of the extreme violence, after all. So my thought is that it might be something that would have a hard time as DLC overall, enough to pick someone else, but could work fine as base. Considering Ridley was a Western pick among the ballot results, catering to one region isn't that odd. DLC, however, should cater a bit enough to both for sales. Base roster has more than enough characters that a few additions people don't like isn't going to often affect sales.
Not just for this game, but future Smash games onwards may not even have Japanese support for Scorpion at all as long as content guidelines are kept up for releases in Japan.

The only way for Scorpion to be secured for Smash at this point is for him to have heavy Western support as soon as possible. If he isn't noticed by fans, it'll be nigh-impossible for him to possibly be considered.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not just for this game, but future Smash games onwards may not even have Japanese support for Scorpion at all as long as content guidelines are kept up for releases in Japan.

The only way for Scorpion to be secured for Smash at this point is for him to have heavy Western support as soon as possible. If he isn't noticed by fans, it'll be nigh-impossible for him to possibly be considered.
Hence why it's base or nothing, imo.

But yeah, I honestly consider him a fairly low chance, as much as I want him in. Better than a lot of obscure picks' chances, though, heh.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Scorpion’s very iconic. Even people who don’t play MK know who he is, so he would sell decent as DLC just on that. That really sucks about the MK11 news with Japan though, despite it having a Switch version, so I think I’ve kinda given up on Scorpion here with that news, and I don’t see him getting a quick increase in support to compensate. He was a long shot anyway to be fair but ugh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Scorpion’s very iconic. Even people who don’t play MK know who he is, so he would sell decent as DLC just on that. That really sucks about the MK11 news with Japan though, despite it having a Switch version, so I think I’ve kinda given up on Scorpion here with that news, and I don’t see him getting a quick increase in support to compensate. He was a long shot anyway to be fair but ugh.
Many people associate a character too much with their series. As if they heavily represent the game they come from regardless. While they can happen(Ness, Cloud, just for two examples), it doesn't always. Reality is, if Scorpion gets in, he'll be quite toned down.

And the thing is, many MK fans won't like that. And many non-MK fans won't get that he would be toned down, making him harder to sell. So in a way, he loses badly.

Top Bottom