• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Scorpion has a slim chance, but still has a chance to get into Smash. I think his B should be his Klassic fatality, kind of like Bowser or Charizard's fire breath.

What would be his Final Smash, though? Would he do a mix of Fatalities from the MK games?
Final Smash should be a Fatality. But given the fact that Mortal Kombat is... well, Mortal Kombat, only one Fatality can reasonably happen.

The Klassic Toasty!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A Brutality can also work. It fits the cutscene aesthetic well, and instead of them literally exploding after the Uppercut, an explosion would appear onscreen as they're sent flying quite hard, usually resulting in a KO like most FS's.

GanonKanon

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7677 1915 7484
A Brutality can also work. It fits the cutscene aesthetic well, and instead of them literally exploding after the Uppercut, an explosion would appear onscreen as they're sent flying quite hard, usually resulting in a KO like most FS's.
So like the Mii Brawler's or Little Mac's? I like this idea more than just a classic fatality or a mix of them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's not a canon source, though. It would be cool, of course, but it's not necessarily canon material.
It's not canon, no, but...
  1. Neither is Smash
  2. Injustice is also made by the MK team, so it's not like it's an outside company that came up with it
  3. Like, half the Final Smashes in the game are made-up anyway

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well they’re not wrong. I liked his victory animation in Injustice better than his super move though. Stabs them, burns a hole in the ground with toasty, and stomps them.

FF53A903-F68C-4B07-B757-51C059474BE0.gif

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Smash doesn't only reference canon material anyway. For instance, it references Captain N lightly within the Guidances. Pit and MegaMan, and Pit and Simon never met outside of that show. That's how they know each other. A straight and clear reference. They don't mention the show itself outside of just saying they met, as it isn't a terribly popular one.

Never mind the Pokemon anime, which is not canon to the games in any way(though Red's later teams do reference Ash's instead. And the games do make multiple Anime references. Like the Sevii Islands being somewhat based upon the Orange Islands, having the same noted Elite 4 live in both sets of Islands. It's also the only time Johto Pokemon even showed up, just like in the anime). I could go on, but yeah, non-canon material is normal.

Besides that, the Cartoon is referenced in Mortal Kombat at times. Not very often, for good reasons.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The MK cartoon was alright for fun cheese, though complete misuse of Scorpion in the episode he was in IMO, but it was the first ever appearance Quan Chi had before he made his game debut in the Mythologies Sub-Zero spinoff and later the mainline games, so interesting I guess. I liked the Conquest show (live action one) better though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The MK cartoon was alright for fun cheese, though complete misuse of Scorpion in the episode he was in IMO, but it was the first ever appearance Quan Chi had before he made his game debut in the Mythologies Sub-Zero spinoff and later the mainline games, so interesting I guess. I liked the Conquest show (live action one) better though.
I found the music overall better(especially the theme and ending theme) in Defenders of the Realm. But yeah, both are cheesy anyway.

Kombat Time is a notable one among MK9. Besides that, they changed Cyrax and Sektor's ethnicities from the actual show. Kind of funny that. I can't think of any other MKDOTR references beyond what you also mentioned, though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, doesn't one of :ultmegaman:'s moves reference his MvC appearances?
Actually, I think his Up Tilt is actually from a MegaMan arcade game. I don't think any of his moves are strictly from MvC first. Not that it'd matter anyway. They can source more than the canon games. It might not happen often, and if anything, Zelda as a series loves to ignore HW for some reason(though does Ultimate have any HW spirits at least?). Though in the case of Smash 4, HW was developed far later on and by Tecmo Koei, so it's more closer to a 3rd party game in a sense, which makes it a bit more difficult to work with. You have licensing issues that you're unsure of, and it's safe to say Sakurai has no time to deal with strange situations when he's on a time limit and budget. Some things aren't worth it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Actually, I think his Up Tilt is actually from a MegaMan arcade game. I don't think any of his moves are strictly from MvC first. Not that it'd matter anyway. They can source more than the canon games. It might not happen often, and if anything, Zelda as a series loves to ignore HW for some reason(though does Ultimate have any HW spirits at least?). Though in the case of Smash 4, HW was developed far later on and by Tecmo Koei, so it's more closer to a 3rd party game in a sense, which makes it a bit more difficult to work with. You have licensing issues that you're unsure of, and it's safe to say Sakurai has no time to deal with strange situations when he's on a time limit and budget. Some things aren't worth it.
Nah, Zelda has no HW spirits. In fact, I don't think there are any Fire Emblem Warriors spirits either. Is it rights issues? Which would be strange, seeing as KT are on fairly good relations with Ninty.

Yet we still got a Fatal Frame AT. From a series that is dead these days.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, Zelda has no HW spirits. In fact, I don't think there are any Fire Emblem Warriors spirits either. Is it rights issues? Which would be strange, seeing as KT are on fairly good relations with Ninty.
It still would cost money either way. One other thought is that since Koei Tecmo owns NInja Gaiden, we're getting a bunch of Spirits at the same time as Ryu Hayabusa. A mega deal with Nintendo. That or they could be something noted that you only get immediately along with the Fighter's Pass, but otherwise have to wait for them to release and have to farm them if you didn't get them. So you either pay for 'em all now, or have to farm 'em later for free. Both are good incentives, as some might not want Ryu Hayabusa.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Spirits are being held back this way. We've had promotional ones already(Eevee, Pikachu), after all.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of Scorpion in Smash so much, I made an entire Google Doc filled with ideas for his moveset, animations, Final Smash, and fun stuff like Palutena's Guidance and a potential trailer.

I don't necessarily think he's the most likely character, considering Mortal Kombat's relative obscurity in Japan outside of MKI and II . Not to mention the hurdles the Smash team would have to go through just to negotiate his rights with a foreign company. But if they did it with Shovel Knight, then they can do it for Scorpion.

Last edited:

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I'd love the idea of any Mortal Kombat character in Smash. I won't lie that Scorpion isn't my first pick - that would actually go to Goro who I think would suit Smash Bros a lot more. Also the fact that Scorpion getting in may make some Sub-Zero fans salty. And no, you can't just make Sub-Zero an echo fighter of Scorpion, the two make look like recolors, but play quite differently (just on a surface level, Scorpion is more fire-based and Sub-Zero more ice-based). I'm not sure how likely he is either, probably on the lower end sadly, but I think he would be a great addition to Smash Bros nonetheless. If characters like Bayonetta can work in Smash now, then so can Scorpion.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
100 percent they are not going to associate them, but hey snake and mgs5 had way more murder than mortal combat could dream up

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like the idea of Scorpion in Smash so much, I made an entire Google Doc filled with ideas for his moveset, animations, Final Smash, and fun stuff like Palutena's Guidance and a potential trailer.

I don't necessarily think he's the most likely character, considering the hurdles the Smash team would have to go through just to negotiate his rights with a foreign company. But if they did it with Shovel Knight, then they can do it for Scorpion.
True there, though I still think they'd have to go with someone a little easier first, like from Microsoft or Ubi Soft. Warner Bros. is the Mt. Everest of game-related companies, and that's before they can get to Netherrealm.

100 percent they are not going to associate them, but hey snake and mgs5 had way more murder than mortal combat could dream up
Yeah, though the difference is modern MK games absolutely revel in hyperdetailed kills. It's not the amount of death that matters, but how it's depicted.

Granted, the Bayonetta series isn't clean itself either. I think bringing in one of the iconic locales would be fine though, seeing how Dracula's Castle got in just fine, monsters and all.

And having Johnny Cage as an AT would be the most hilarious thing, it'd be the best way to get away with his famous Split Punch.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

I don't necessarily think he's the most likely character, considering the hurdles the Smash team would have to go through just to negotiate his rights with a foreign company. But if they did it with Shovel Knight, then they can do it for Scorpion.
Wow, that was insane! That's dedication, and filled with everything thought out and calculated. It should be part of the front page for sure!!! :bobomb:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

That's dedication right there, but if you're open to ideas, I've got a few.

First off, Hellish Flame could work as a down special. It'd only hit grounded opponents and instantly burn the closest one if they're within range and, like a handful of down specials, would not work in the air. But it would give enough hitstun to your opponent to follow up with something else. Maybe a teleport?

Then, maybe the command input gimmick Ryu and Ken have? MK is a traditional fighter too, so these could work.

And obviously, the most necessary one; an insta-kill effect if the foe's damage is high enough for the Final Smash.

Oh, and for the sake of laughs, the SNES censorship making it in by making opponents sweat rather than bleed when Scorpion hits them :p

But those are just my opinions because what you have is still incredibly solid.

Last edited:

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
That's dedication right there, but if you're open to ideas, I've got a few.

First off, Hellish Flame could work as a down special. It'd only hit grounded opponents and instantly burn the closest one if they're within range and, like a handful of down specials, would not work in the air. But it would give enough hitstun to your opponent to follow up with something else. Maybe a teleport?

Then, maybe the command input gimmick Ryu and Ken have? MK is a traditional fighter too, so these could work.

And obviously, the most necessary one; an insta-kill effect if the foe's damage is high enough for the Final Smash.

Oh, and for the sake of laughs, the SNES censorship making it in by making opponents sweat rather than bleed when Scorpion hits them :p

But those are just my opinions because what you have is still incredibly solid.

Thanks! I welcome and appreciate any suggestions! I admittedly haven't played any of the Mortal Kombat games, but the thought of a Western-developed fighting game character in Smash Bros. makes my heart leap lol.

When you say Hellish Flames, I assume you're talking about the dsmash (which is from MKX and technically called Flame Aura, but that's beside the point)? In which case, I took some creative liberties because I wanted Scorpion to have a lot of hard-hitting fire moves alongside his combos and ninjutsu moves to flesh out his character. Fireball was one of them, and I specifically wanted him to have a Smash Attack that was flame-based. And Flame Aura just so happened to be a good fit for that, now being more of an explosive offense tool rather than providing low% combos finishers and mainly providing a flame cloak like it originally is in MKX.

I went and edited my document to add command inputs for Scorpion's Spear, Teleport Attack, and Fireball because you're right! It would make sense for a traditional fighting game character to have those. I also made Toasty! automatically KO any opponents at or above 100% because that's appropriate as well for a Fatality!

While it would be funny, I think the SNES censorship gag would be kind of overdoing the visuals. Some people find the smoke effects in Ultimate already too distracting. And if SNESweat was in there, that would probably wouldn't be helping.

Thanks for the suggestions! I like to make any and all edits that increase the accuracy and quality of his concept in Smash.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Wait what? You have not played any of the MK Games, but were able to create a giant summary and suggestion for a full MK character for Smash!?
That's pretty badass and obscure.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Wait what? You have not played any of the MK Games, but were able to create a giant summary and suggestion for a full MK character for Smash!?
That's pretty badass and obscure.
It certainly wasn't easy! I did a LOT of research comparing all of Scorpion's appearances in mainline MK games to best find moves for Smash. Not to mention trying to fit both those AND his M-rated personality in an E10+ rated game. It was a lot of work! But hopefully I did both MK and the character justice.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
When you say Hellish Flames, I assume you're talking about the dsmash (which is from MKX and technically called Flame Aura, but that's beside the point)? In which case, I took some creative liberties because I wanted Scorpion to have a lot of hard-hitting fire moves alongside his combos and ninjutsu moves to flesh out his character. Fireball was one of them, and I specifically wanted him to have a Smash Attack that was flame-based. And Flame Aura just so happened to be a good fit for that, now being more of an explosive offense tool rather than providing low% combos finishers and mainly providing a flame cloak like it originally is in MKX.
That's the move I mean.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Ah, my mistake. It's called Hell Fire in MKX, so that was where the confusion was. It's supposed to be an unblockable punish in MK, so you can't really follow up with any combos afterwards. But I suppose the Smash equivalent would be a more limited Arcfire? In which case, I don't necessarily think Scorpion would need something like that if he's got tools such as his Spear Dart that allows him guaranteed combos, the potential to use Teleport Attack out of grabs, and moves that can stun.

Having another thing like that would be kind of overkill imo. But I like the idea, though!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, for someone who hasn’t played any of the games, I really do gotta admire you having done your homework for that document. I can kinda relate as far as other series.

While I didn’t play him as much in MKX as previous games (I kinda had Scorpion fatigue after his Injustice inclusion but will admit his MK11 appearance looks badass as ever), I will say I loved the previous versions of his flame aura, so definitely think it’s a good idea for one move. Same with the flaming flip kick which is a surprisingly good idea for an aerial, though I personally would’ve had it as a down B special or something in hindsight but that’s just me.

Others to consider maybe are leg takedown (though regular sweep works just as well for like a d-tilt) and air throw, but the latter is trickier to think of implementing in Smash admittedly. In a lot of the MK games he would just do an air throw by pressing the block button next to someone while they’re in the air, but doing that in Smash makes you air-dodge. His aerial game would be decent with or without it though, especially going by your moveset, so whatever.

There’s the demon minion summons from his Inferno variation in MKX too, but I hated those, as they seemed kinda overkill on top of the powerful options Scorpion usually already has.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Ah, my mistake. It's called Hell Fire in MKX, so that was where the confusion was. It's supposed to be an unblockable punish in MK, so you can't really follow up with any combos afterwards. But I suppose the Smash equivalent would be a more limited Arcfire? In which case, I don't necessarily think Scorpion would need something like that if he's got tools such as his Spear Dart that allows him guaranteed combos, the potential to use Teleport Attack out of grabs, and moves that can stun.

Having another thing like that would be kind of overkill imo. But I like the idea, though!
Fair. I guess I'm just not fond of the idea of him using a fire ball since that's a thing he's only really used in MKX and only for a single variation.

But that's just me being nitpicky, so it's not like it's a big problem since I still really like the moveset, even with said fire ball.

In a lot of the MK games he would just do an air throw by pressing the block button next to someone while they’re in the air, but doing that in Smash makes you air-dodge.
Maybe a grab aerial? He'd be unique in that he'd be the only one who lacks a tether, but has one of those anyway.

I do agree it's not needed, but if it's implemented, I could see it be done like that.

Last edited:

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Others to consider maybe are leg takedown (though regular sweep works just as well for like a d-tilt) and air throw, but the latter is trickier to think of implementing in Smash admittedly. In a lot of the MK games he would just do an air throw by pressing the block button next to someone while they’re in the air, but doing that in Smash makes you air-dodge. His aerial game would be decent with or without it though, especially going by your moveset, so whatever.

There’s the demon minion summons from his Inferno variation in MKX too, but I hated those, as they seemed kinda overkill on top of the powerful options Scorpion usually already has.
I actually do have the leg takedown in his moveset! It's his down tilt, but it's the heavy variant when you hold down the attack button.

I thought about putting in his air throw, but I couldn't figure out a way to do so in a convincing manner. Especially since the original input is blocking in the air just like you said. His aerial command grab with Spear Dart in my moveset gives him something similar to his OG air throw...kind of. It's a stretch.

LOL yeah. I didn't want him to have any demon minions because of that, and the fact that (from what I've seen) they're only in MKX.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While Brutality could work as a Final Smash, it is too boring and plain for Scorpion. It works with Little Mac and Mii Brawler since that’s all they can do. Fatality works best for Scorpion and Toasty! is the only option for Scorpion. Scorpion absolutely has to have this.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While Brutality could work as a Final Smash, it is too boring and plain for Scorpion. It works with Little Mac and Mii Brawler since that’s all they can do. Fatality works best for Scorpion and Toasty! is the only option for Scorpion. Scorpion absolutely has to have this.
It also looks flashier and potentially even more cinematic than a Brutality, so Toasty! gets bonus points for that too.

Not to mention Toasty! is way more iconic and well-known than any Brutality.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And inspired by Ghost Rider himself.
2BF81C50-3E20-45D6-85E1-7ECFDA9A141D.jpeg

Top Bottom