• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sorry for the double-post reply, but Simon Belmont with Richter as an echo says hi to this rule now. :colorful:

If Scorpion actually got in, I think it would be fair to have Sub-Zero as an echo at the very least now.
True. Before Richter was revealed, I would say Scorpion only. But now, I think Sub-Zero could work as a semi-Echo. Same A moves but different B moves.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero actually getting in Smash would be awesome!

I think this support thread should be changed to both Scorpion AND Sub-Zero but that’s just me.

Sub-Zero could even have Mortal Kombat 3 Sub-Zero as alternate costume.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
True. Before Richter was revealed, I would say Scorpion only. But now, I think Sub-Zero could work as a semi-Echo. Same A moves but different B moves.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero actually getting in Smash would be awesome!

I think this support thread should be changed to both Scorpion AND Sub-Zero but that’s just me.

Sub-Zero could even have Mortal Kombat 3 Sub-Zero as alternate costume.
For Sub-Zero to work as an echo, he would need to share all his moves with Scorpion. Unless he was made a semi-clone with different specials.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For Sub-Zero to work as an echo, he would need to share all his moves with Scorpion. Unless he was made a semi-clone with different specials.
That’s what I said.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That’s what I said.
Oh I didn't see semi-echo there lol.

But is there a difference between "semi-echo" and "semi-clone"? I think of "echo" being more of a clone than "clones" themselves.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Realistically, does Scorpion have any chance to get in? As dlc even?
If he were DLC he would be Cloud X 1000.

I think it could happen. Even if MK isn't that requested it's still a massive franchise that would make Nintendo/Warner Bros a huge amount of money.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If he were DLC he would be Cloud X 1000.

I think it could happen. Even if MK isn't that requested it's still a massive franchise that would make Nintendo/Warner Bros a huge amount of money.
Ya and I think boon is game

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh I didn't see semi-echo there lol.

But is there a difference between "semi-echo" and "semi-clone"? I think of "echo" being more of a clone than "clones" themselves.
“Echo Fighter” is just an euphemism for “clone”.

We called Dark Pit and Lucina clones during SSB4, why are they not called clones today?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
“Echo Fighter” is just an euphemism for “clone”.

We called Dark Pit and Lucina clones during SSB4, why are they not called clones today?
Because there's been a clear distinction I think from the clones of the past. Clones in Melee and especially Brawl had distinguishable traits that were beyond aesthetic/voice changes. Clones were differentiated with different heights, running/falling speeds, and different characteristics about their moves. I.e. Young Link's small stature compared to Link and Roy's fire properties in his sword and falling speed (in addition to sweetspot) to set himself apart from Marth. Echo's don't have any of this other than cosmetic differences and maybe taking another move from another character other than the one they're derived from.

So in that sense I think Sub-Zero would fall in to the "semi-clone" group. Yeah very confusing nomenclature lol.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Right now, it's really hard to distinguish clones from Echoes especially with Chrom being labeled as an Echo for Roy but borrows stuff from Roy and Lucina. But I don't think Sub-Zero would be that much of an Echo of Scorpion. Does Sub-Zero have a spear? Scorpion's fire and Sub-Zero's ice seem like polar opposite powers. And I don't think Sub-Zero would pull his mask to reveal a Ghost Rider head to breathe fire. The only thing similar is their Lin Kuei ninja getups.

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
Sign me up. I'd love to see Scorpion.

His special moves:
B: Spear
Side B: Hellfire
Up B: Teleport Punch
Down B: His scissors kick
Final Smash: TOASTY!

Sub-Zero as an echo but his special moves are different
B: Ice Ball
Side B: Ice Hammer
Up B: Ice Teleport
Down B: Slide Kick
Final Smash: Ice Wall (Something like what he does in the MK movie)

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Sub Zero's special moves are completely different, what similarities would he have to Scorpion to be an Echo?

Graizen

Smash Champion
We actualy will get the Classic looks, you guys can expect something like this:

scorpion-x-subzero.gif

Graizen

Smash Champion
Imagine this:

The Mortal Kombat rep gets the Final Smash!
He hits a oponent with any normal move.
The screen turns darker, and Shao Khan says:
"FINISH HIM!" (With the original music for it)
The Mortal Kombat rep performs a "Fatalitie", but with no Gore, the oponent just dies in normal Smash Maner.

This would be epic.

hqdefault.jpg

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
This thread was once joined with the Sub-Zero thread, but then the moderators locked it (months after they deleted my semi-jokey older Scorpion thread likely for the big Censorship Yoshi (I'm not kidding, I actually put a giant crudely-drawn Yoshi in that post)) because of being for two separate characters in one thread without a lot of stuff in OP.

Scorpion.
While it is the name of an arachnid it's also the name of a character from Mortal Kombat, famous for his attire and fatality. I have a poster with this guy on it and he's still watching over all who enter the closet. (My mom finds the poster creepy.)

Tied with Subby for the most popular character in MK (maybe), he has a better chance of getting in than someone like Goro. And seeing how every MK game through Armageddon was on a Nintendo console, he has a better chance of getting in than Solid Snake ever did, and he was in Brawl.

I already hear all the complaints about "BLOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOD! FLIP AND TEAR UP!", so I have an easy solution:
When Mortal Kombat 1 was released back in the day, neither Nintendo nor Sega would tolerate blood and gore in their games. Both ports had their own solution.

The Super Nintendo replaced all blood with sweat. Fatalities...I don't even know.

The Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive overseas...it's not a good commando name) instead took a different route. It omitted all blood/sweat completely. Fatalities...Subby's was just a harsh uppercut instead of the "RIP AND TEAR...the opponent's head off". All others are essentially untouched except maybe Kano's. To get the full experience back, there was an additional screen talking about how "The word "code" has many different definitions.". Inputting the code 'A-B-A-C-A-B-B' re-unlocks the blood.

Supporters:
Scorpion Alone: Venus of the Desert Bloom, Ridley_Prime, pupNapoleon, Pallex, Chandeelure, Grazen, Wonks, Sean Wheeler, Ura, TCT~Phantom, Bowserlick, Arcadenik, SegaGameBoy, MacDaddyNook, smashingDoug, maybe Irene and Zabimaru?
Scorpion + Sweat: Brother AJ
Scorpion + Code: SuperDoom1

HEYIMGONNATHROWYOUOVERHERE!
I'd make scorpions moveset heavily inspired from mk 1-3. But I think many things from this video should be part of his moveset:

Sorry, I know I posted this already, but I wanted to create a more specific moveset for him, and i think this should be added to the OP!
So based on the video above:

Specials:

Neutral b - fire breath. Scorpion takes off his mask and blows fire for a moment.

Side b - Spear. Scorpion shoots his spear straight in front of him and grabs enemies to pull them close. If A is held, scorpion will automatically do a spinning back kick hitting the enemy up into the air. If A is not held, the enemy is stunned for a moment in front of scorpion, leaving them open to attack. The spear can also be angled upward to aim at aerial opponents and pull them in. In the air, rather than pulling enemies in, scorpion pulls himself toward the enemy, and dragon kicks them (or maybe punches them in a similar way to his teleport punch). In air, the spear can also be aimed downward, and if the spear makes contact with the ground, scorpion can pull himself towards the ground attacking nearby enemies. Here are some fun looking combos that can happen with the spear mechanic (watch the whole video to see more):

Last thing for side b - If you press side b right up close to an enemy in the air, you can perform this throw:

Down b - Rising fireball. This is sort of being stolen from Shang Tsung. If Down b is pressed for a short time, one fireball from hell rises up in front of scorpion. This attack can be charged to make up to 3 fireballs appear. Each fireball chains the opponent to hit the next fireball. Heres a video for reference:

Up b - Teleport punch. scorpion quickly disappears and appears several feet in the direction you are holding. You would have enough time to adjust where scorpion appears - this would work similarly to meta knights down b, but with more distance being covered, and the attack portion obviously looking a lot different.

Normals:

Neutral A - the normal punching combo from mk 1-3. he punches right in front of him. while this loop is happening if you tilt upward he will do a high punch rather than a mid body punch. To have a little mortal kombat spirit in the moveset, when a punch connects, scorpion can follow up with a combo. Similar to how lucario's combo system works in Project M, if you press different tilt inputs, scorpion can execute different combos. The combo moves are different than all of his following tilts and attacks. You can execute combos similar to mk3 style where scorpion uses elbows, knees and axe handles.

Side tilt - mid body side kick. OR if you do a high side tilt he does a spinning back kick OR a low side tilt, a sweep kick.

Up tilt - Hellfire. Scorpion raises his arms up and fire appears from the ground in front of him.

Down tilt - uppercut. I know this is unorthodox, but in the spirit of the original mortal kombat games, this is what it should be. Scorpion uppercuts out of crouch.

F smash - flaming flip kick. Scorpion dashes forward, and does a backflip, kicking his enemies in front of him

Up smash - scorpion opens a flaming portal right under him, he dives into it, and then appears out of another portal slightly in front of him out of the ground. This would work similarly to sectors teleport uppercut:
Alternatively, his up smash could have him use his axe from mk3.

Down smash - Scorpion opens a flaming portal in the ground and dives into it, then appears out of another portal in the air in front of him. He comes out in a kicking pose, kicking the enemy in the face.

Dash attack - sliding kick as seen here:

Aerials:

N-air - flying forward kick (like mk3)

F-air - flying sidekick (again like mk3)

U-air - he swings his axe above his head

D-air - he swings his sword downwards

B-air - he swings his axe behind him

Grabs:

Scorpion grabs enemies normally, not with his spear - since he already uses his spear as a special attack.

Pummel - Scorpion hits enemies with his axe from mk3

F-throw - scorpion performs his throw from mk4, except he does a spin and throws the enemy in front of him instead of behind. This is the throw im talking about:

B-Throw - Scorpion does this throw:

D-throw - Scorpion kicks his enemy upward and away, and then uses his spear to catch them and pull them hard into the ground right behind him something like this:

Up-throw - Scorpion basically does noob saibot's teleport slam, but using fire portals, and he doesnt need to teleport from afar:

Those are my moveset ideas. If anyone has other ideas please add to this, or comment!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nintendolife article on how the home ports of Mortal Kombat defined the 16-bit console war between Nintendo and Sega.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Supportin'. While I'm more of a Sub-Zero fan, it would be fitting to have both of the Lin Kuei assassins in here.
I'm down for both. Scorpion is just more the top icon of mortal kombat. Sub zero could have a sweet moveset too using his ice statue ability. I'd make that his up b and make it so he can make multiple statues and have it work a bit like pikachus up b. So you can create statues and switch directions - I'd make it possible to switch directions up to 3 times. That would be the coolest mechaic in his moveset.

The rest of his attacks would be prety obvious. Just freezing enemies would need a difecent freeze mechanic, not the iceberg mechanic.

If Ken gets in with an altered moveset, adding sub zero on top of Scorpion would be perfect.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'll just leave this here for you reading pleasure. Wrote it last night. I would love nothing more than for it to come true.

It all starts in a dark lair, similar to the Ridley reveal. There are torches lining a long drawn out hallway with a few broken pots along the walls. We see Ryu followed by Link and Captain Falcon walking down the seemingly endless, barely lit path. (Periodic screaming and horrifying cries are heard from every direction)

(The continuous cries of anguish become louder and louder as they reach what appears to be the end of the path)

They come to a broken down doorway at the end of the hall. Upon entering the room an unnerving silence falls across the lair. Ryu's eyes look determined as if he can sense some great power is near. Link and Captain Falcon see Ryu's alert expression and stand back to back. (A slight chuckle is heard in the the same room our heroes are now in)

Ryu centers in on the sound and notices a giant throne that is now more visible than before the laughter. Link and Captain Falcon notice that Ryu seems worried as he gazes solidly forward. They all prepare for battle upon seeing two empty white eyes glaring at them from the throne.

(ZOOOOOOOOOMM) *FAST PROJECTILE SOUND*

Suddenly a very sharp sounding noise is heard. As if a missile is flying from any conceivable direction. The heroes frantically position themselves closer to the throne.

SMASH!!! (Frost Cracking Sound)

The sound had come from the long hallway behind them. Ryu and Captain Falcon turn around in shock! Link is frozen solid.. Captain Falcon urgently tries to recover Link as Ryu rushes to stop his hand from touching the statue... Ryu misses Captains arm by an inch and Captain hits the statue with too much force as Link falls and crashes into pieces. They then witness the figure on the throne holding a shiny green object, which he then uses to violently extract the soul of Link!! Captain Falcon kneels with his head down while holding pieces of his shattered ally in his hands...seemingly enraged.

SUDDENLY, Captain Falcon rushes the throne head on without warning... When out of nowhere he is stopped by a giant wall of ice that he accidentally slams directly into and almost faints. Upon nearly losing consciousness he sees a mysterious hooded figure on the other side of the ice, staring down at him.

(Captain Falcon blacks out)

RIGHT THEN AND THERE comes A LOUD BATTLE CRY!!!

GET OVER HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

A spear comes hurling through the darkness straight at RYU!!! Ryu dodges and then sees his opponent blazing in a firey aura and readies himself. *Splash Screen* (Scorpion Gets TOASTY!!!) Ryu, thinking he is ready for the battle fires a HADOKEN straight at Scorpion!! Scorpion, then jumps in the air, bounces off of the nearest wall, and throws yet another spear while shouting, COME HERE!!!!! Ryu again, attempts to dodge, but only too late does he realize how much colder his body has gotten.

(SLOW MOTION BEGINS) As the spear flies toward Ryu, he looks down to his feet...they are FROZEN to the ground. He then hears and feels a slow, cold breathing on the back of his neck. (The viewer can see the icey breath coming from the darkness) Instantly!! Two powerful icey arms wrap around Ryu's own arms holding him firmly in place with Ryu then *GASPING* upon seeing the identity of his 2nd attacker. *Splash Screen* (Sub-Zero Attains FLAWLESS VICTORY)

Ryu frantically struggles to break free, but he is simply trapped.. Ryu looks into Sub-Zeros eyes with a hint of doubt. (Seeing that there is some good in the warrior) Sub-Zero pays no mind to this as he appears to be under some sort of mind control. (SLOW MOTION ENDS) Finally, Ryu loses all hope and as soon as he does, the spear strikes him with the camera cutting to his eyes. Ryu falls to his knees and before fainting lends the rest of his energy/spirit to Captain Falcon.

Moments later...

Captain Falcon regains a bit of consciousness. He sees two shadowy hooded figures (one yellow, one blue) carrying his allies corpses away. He then hears a much louder laugh (HAHAHA) as he looks back at the throne... The figure on the throne finally gets up and walks toward Captain Falcons still mostly paralyzed body. The closer the figure gets, the more Captain recognizes it. He rubs his eyes in disbelief.. It is revealed to be none other than his Arch-Rival *Splash Screen* (Black Shadow Evens The Odds!)

Captain Falcon tries his hardest to regain some of his strength while grounded as the room lights up green around his enemy preparing to take his and Ryu's spirits. Falcon puts the rest of his energy into his right arm as his rival comes even closer... He shouts at last minute *FALCON...P....* Black Shadow quickly smirks while delivering one final kick to Captain Falcon's head... blacking out the Captain and the trailer!

*Smash Logo* (THE END)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's funny. I was just talking about this with my brother.

I think it's a great idea

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Joker's in. Might as well get Scorpion in for a rematch with the jester with the twisted face... Oh, wrong Joker. The protagonist from Persona 5 is in. Oh well, maybe Scorpion could join Smash to fight him, thinking that he may be related to the clown who punched him in the back of the head with an extendable boxing glove for no reason.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes! Mortal Kombat 11 is coming to the Switch! That means Scorpion now has a stronger chance of getting in Smash as one of the DLC fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought it would have been goddamn hilarious if there was a MK character reveal from Boon right then and there, but a sequel's a pretty good deal nonetheless (with a Switch version to boot).

And the bait and switch for Best/Sports racing game was still a priceless bit.

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Just imagine that all the fighters are from third party series that you'd never expect to see in Smash. Mortal Kombat would be one of those.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think i will support Scorpion even harder.
MK 11 on the Switch , its the first game on Nintendo in 13 years.
And they got back the classic style as well.

A question , if not Scorpion, would you be happy with Sub-Zero or Liu Kang?

2a358133944600b0b275bbbee7057db0325bb5cfr1-1920-1080v2_hq.jpg

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m down for support despite never playing

And again I definately wouldn’t be surprised if it happen scorpion might end up with the bowser jr treatment which is different characters for alts and change the animations just ever so slightly and changing elements of attacks

I mean there’s even 8 literally

Scropion
Sub-zero
Smoke
Reptile
Ermac
Noob sailbot
Rain
Chameleon

Graizen

Smash Champion
I’m down for support despite never playing

And again I definately wouldn’t be surprised if it happen scorpion might end up with the bowser jr treatment which is different characters for alts and change the animations just ever so slightly and changing elements of attacks

I mean there’s even 8 literally

Scropion
Sub-zero
Smoke
Reptile
Ermac
Noob sailbot
Rain
Chameleon
Something funny remembered today.

The last time a MK was sold in Japan , was 10 years ago.
The last Nintendo MK game was 13 years ago.

With MK on the Switch the Japanese people can buy a MK game for the first time in 10 years.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I think i will support Scorpion even harder.
MK 11 on the Switch , its the first game on Nintendo in 13 years.
And they got back the classic style as well.

A question , if not Scorpion, would you be happy with Sub-Zero or Liu Kang?

View attachment 182225
I would enjoy getting anyone from the series, but I think Scorpion would still be the most fun to have in. Doing the whole "Get over here!" bit will be fun to do in FFAs, and it'd be hilarious seeing him juxtaposed with Isabelle and Pichu. Plus, as someone who grew up in the Golden Age of Fighting Games, seeing him finally go toe to toe with Ryu would be Mario vs Sonic levels of awesome.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I would enjoy getting anyone from the series, but I think Scorpion would still be the most fun to have in. Doing the whole "Get over here!" bit will be fun to do in FFAs, and it'd be hilarious seeing him juxtaposed with Isabelle and Pichu. Plus, as someone who grew up in the Golden Age of Fighting Games, seeing him finally go toe to toe with Ryu would be Mario vs Sonic levels of awesome.
Yes , that what im talking about.
A DLC for MK vs SF
A DLC for Digimon vs Pokémon

Oh don't make me dream so much

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Yes , that what im talking about.
A DLC for MK vs SF
A DLC for Digimon vs Pokémon

Oh don't make me dream so much
Yeah, thanks to recent developments, my hype for MK content finally getting in has soared. Scorpion has been one of my "Never Ever" picks, but now he legitimately has a shot. Not counting legacy, of which everyone is aware of the impact Mortal Kombat has had on the gaming medium, we have the new game coming to the Switch and the focus on surprise, but exciting, picks for DLC. It's good to see the ones we used to see as frontrunners/fan favorites now having to contend with some out-there dark horses (though I do still want Steve and Tails/Eggman quite a bit).

Top Bottom