• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
This thread was once joined with the Sub-Zero thread, but then the moderators locked it (months after they deleted my semi-jokey older Scorpion thread likely for the big Censorship Yoshi (I'm not kidding, I actually put a giant crudely-drawn Yoshi in that post)) because of being for two separate characters in one thread without a lot of stuff in OP.

Scorpion.
While it is the name of an arachnid it's also the name of a character from Mortal Kombat, famous for his attire and fatality. I have a poster with this guy on it and he's still watching over all who enter the closet. (My mom finds the poster creepy.)

Tied with Subby for the most popular character in MK (maybe), he has a better chance of getting in than someone like Goro. And seeing how every MK game through Armageddon was on a Nintendo console, he has a better chance of getting in than Solid Snake ever did, and he was in Brawl.

I already hear all the complaints about "BLOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOD! FLIP AND TEAR UP!", so I have an easy solution:
When Mortal Kombat 1 was released back in the day, neither Nintendo nor Sega would tolerate blood and gore in their games. Both ports had their own solution.

The Super Nintendo replaced all blood with sweat. Fatalities...I don't even know.

The Sega Genesis (or Mega Drive overseas...it's not a good commando name) instead took a different route. It omitted all blood/sweat completely. Fatalities...Subby's was just a harsh uppercut instead of the "RIP AND TEAR...the opponent's head off". All others are essentially untouched except maybe Kano's. To get the full experience back, there was an additional screen talking about how "The word "code" has many different definitions.". Inputting the code 'A-B-A-C-A-B-B' re-unlocks the blood.

Supporters:
Scorpion Alone: Venus of the Desert Bloom, Ridley_Prime, pupNapoleon, Pallex, Chandeelure, Graizen (extra), Wonks, Sean Wheeler, Ura, TCT~Phantom, Bowserlick, Arcadenik, SegaGameBoy, MacDaddyNook, smashingDoug, BronzeGreekGod, KirbyWorshipper2465, mynameisBlade, Armyle Roseanne (of all people), NotLedgerH, Hadokeyblade, thisguyisnotcool (yeah, right), Zabimaru, Smashoperatingbuddy 123 (SOB?), UserKev, Ghirahilda, Nazyrus, ProudNintendoFan, AntagonisticGalaxyCentacea, Crap-Zapper, Chinderblock, GanonKanon, BreadnJamTomorrow, Cruelcumber, Toyamasmash, lh8heels, CodakTheWarrior, JDCabrera, VodkaHaze
Scorpion + Sweat: Brother AJ, The Stoopid Unikorn
Scorpion + Code: SuperDoom1

HEYIMGONNATHROWYOUOVERHERE!

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
6 years ago, I would of said no way but a combination of Snake, Bayonetta, Ryu, and Cloud changed me about the viability of 3rd party characters. It is a stretch but hearing Kirby say “Get over here!” is enough reason for me to support Scorpion.

Also, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , technically couldn’t there be a support thread for Mortal Kombat characters in general instead of having separate character threads? I’m not sure if the Staffer Shack changed its rules but we allowed character-based franchise support threads to slide during the speculation run of Smash 4.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
6 years ago, I would of said no way but a combination of Snake, Bayonetta, Ryu, and Cloud changed me about the viability of 3rd party characters. It is a stretch but hearing Kirby say “Get over here!” is enough reason for me to support Scorpion.

Also, Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , technically couldn’t there be a support thread for Mortal Kombat characters in general instead of having separate character threads? I’m not sure if the Staffer Shack changed its rules but we allowed character-based franchise support threads to slide during the speculation run of Smash 4.
I'll talk it over with the Staff. I remember it being enforced that general support threads for a franchise alone wasn't allowed.

Mind you, this is a different situation. We also allowed 3rd parties with no Nintendo appearances.

Update; 3rd party franchise threads are fine, but we do encourage to have unique threads too.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Come to think of it, seeing Kirby turn its head into the Ghost Rider skull for Toasty would be priceless enough, but since the kunai spear would more likely be the default special, I reckon that's what he'd get. After searching, there's already some decent fan art of Scorpion Kirby, as it were...

Aside from the mentioned SNES MK1 that I sadly grew up with (not that it changed anything for Scorpion particularly, as his fatality wasn’t one of the ones that had to be altered), Scorpion still felt like Scorpion in the toned down violence of MKvsDC and his guest appearance in Injustice, though not sure if that’d be enough for people.

I like Sub-Zero too, but Scorpion’s a bit more of an iconic staple, though not by much, but being liked more by Ed kinda helps... IDK

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would be quite happy to see Scorpion included- he is easily my most appreciated Mature rated character.

I also realized the other day that Squirtle and Ivysaur should have had Project M costumes as these two. It fits very nicely with their movesets. (Or, conversely, in future games, Scorpion and Sub Zero should have Squirtle and Ivy/Bulbasaur costumes in a future Nintendo Mortal Kombat.... not that it will happen).

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
I support!
Scorpion's special moves could be: Spear would be a grab, UP B would be his teleport. Neutral B could be hellfire, Down B could be his aoe fire attack from MKX, Side B could be a fireball projectile.
If he uses swords it would be with smashes while punches and kicks would be tilts. Uppercut for Up Smash, being the exception.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mortal Kombat is the only series that I might appreciate more than Smash, and Scorpion is arguably (they are turning him into a little girl) my favorite video-game character. If Scorpion were ever to make it in, for whatever reason, I would probably die. My heart would not be able to take it. So, for that reason, I do not want him. I care about my life.

In all seriousness, he makes the Doom Guy seem like a lock by comparison. It would be fun to melt Ryu's face and I always expected that to happen in a different cross-over game. If it was Smash, that would be a dream come true.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The Get over here harpoon thing looks very gory, but then I remember Corrin's Side Special and it looks fine.

But, I think Sub Zero fits better.
He would also add more to Smash considering we have like no ice users.

Graizen

Smash Champion
You know what?

Putting a Mortal Kombat rep its something Ed Boon would do.
Im not even joking.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Sure, I’m down! He’d look kind of strange without blood being around, but that’s no reason not to include him. Maybe they could add those weird gray puffs of sweat they had in the old SNES game... lol

Edit: Does anyone have a good reason as to why Scorpion should make it in over Sub-Zero?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
The Get over here harpoon thing looks very gory, but then I remember Corrin's Side Special and it looks fine.

But, I think Sub Zero fits better.
He would also add more to Smash considering we have like no ice users.
The ICE Climbers resent that, homie.

You know what?

Putting a Mortal Kombat rep its something Ed Boon would do.
Im not even joking.
His Final Smash could be his eyebrows giving him the power of flight while he spits fire and the toasty guy appears in the corner of the screen every KO you get. Make it happen.

Sure, I’m down! He’d look kind of strange without blood around, but that’s no reason not to include him. Maybe they could add those weird gray sweat puffs they had in the old SNES game... lol

Edit: Does anyone have a good reason as to why Scorpion should make it in over Sub-Zero?
Because Scorpion is NRS' mascot. And he used to be much cooler until he started reading those self-help books.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The ICE Climbers resent that, homie.

His Final Smash could be his eyebrows giving him the power of flight while he spits fire and the toasty guy appears in the corner of the screen every KO you get. Make it happen.

Because Scorpion is NRS' mascot. And he used to be much cooler until he started reading those self-help books.
Oh yeah, the current humanized Scorpion as Hanzo Hasashi is meh, but I guess it was bound to happen eventually, to show what would be next for him after moving on from Quan Chi. He at least had cool moments in the comics, and the harsh mentor role to Kenshi’s son Takeda was good development for both characters. Still though...

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
We're unlikely to ever get a Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat, but to see the main character in Street Fighter in Ryu battle the arguably most popular Mortal Kombat kharacter...er, character in Scorpion on the neutral battlefield of Smash would be interesting.

Despite Mortal Kombat's extreme violence (and honestly, the new ones are way too disturbing for me), an MK representative doesn't need to keep with those mature themes.

He may be from too controversial a franchise, and he's from a western-developed team, but stranger things have happened in Smash Bros...

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat is better off in a fighting game about the video game industry and not fighting DC super heroes. I guess Scorpion could work. I know an obvious series symbol being that dragon. But why do I prefer Scorpion fighting Mario more than Batman?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would rather have Sub-Zero in the game but count me as a supporter.

Mortal Kombat is one of the very few big name third parties left not in Smash. I would argue the biggest omission as well.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I support, seeing a legendary series like mk get in would be sick.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I support Scorpion.

In a battle between Scorpion and Sub-Zero as the face of Mortal Kombat, the harpoon and hellfire abilities better represent a game known for violence rather than freezing powers. The MK symbol is a dragon afterall, usually with flames in the background.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The next MK has recently been teased/hinted at by Boon, and going by when the last ones have been revealed and released as well as the Injustice DC games, I expect MK11 will be shown off at this year’s E3.

edit: So much for that. Was just more Ed Boon trolling. May have been for the best though, as there's other times MK11 could be revealed when it's not overshadowed too much by other games...

Would be nice if Warner Bros went the extra mile in supporting the Switch, and some of the last MK’s (or even the classics) along with maybe MK11 got ported there. Still find it kinda odd that they gave the Wii U the first Injustice, but not MK9.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I support Scorpion for Smash as long as his design is based on the original trilogy, especially Mortal Kombat II.

As for a Mortal Kombat stage, I guess we could go with the Pit from the original Mortal Kombat. That one seems suited as a Smash stage.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
I didn't expect so many people to reply, especially when compared to my Sub-Zero thread (you can find it by clicking "HERE" at the OP). Thank you all for supporting Scorpion.
As for a Mortal Kombat stage, I guess we could go with the Pit from the original Mortal Kombat. That one seems suited as a Smash stage.
Hmm...a stage with depth, where if you get punched too hard, you go slightly in front of the stage and get sent to a lower part of it, filled with spikes in the background when really, it's a bottomless pit. Occasionally, Reptile comes in and kicks everyone's butt unless you knock him off the stage, in which case you get an extra stock/point/$1000. Perfect!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess it has to do with the fact that people see Scorpion as the more likely representative if MK were to ever get a character (which is very unlikely to begin with).

That being said, Sub-Zero is my personal choice and one who I think would be a better fit for Smash.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Playable character - Scorpion
Assist Trophy - Sub-Zero
Stage - The Pit (based on The Pit I and Pit Bottom) This stage needs to have Toasty! where Sakurai himself appears on the bottom right corner of the screen.

Scorpion's trophies
- Scorpion
- Toasty! (Final Smash)

Trophies from Mortal Kombat
- Goro
- Kano
- Shang Tsung
- Sonya
- Sub-Zero (Assist Trophy)

Trophies from Mortal Kombat II
- Kitana
- Liu Kang
- Kung Lao
- Raiden
- Shang Tsung
- Shao Kahn

Trophies from Mortal Kombat 3
- Jax
- Sub-Zero

Trophies from Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
- Cyrax & Sektor
- Friendship
- Mileena
- Reptile

Trophies from Mortal Kombat Trilogy
- Johnny Cage

Trophies from Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
- Quan Chi
- Shinnok

Trophies from Super Smash Bros.
- Babality (Scorpion with Baby Mario, Baby Peach, and Baby Bowser)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly think Kahn's Arena from MK2 would make for the best stage.

Imagine fighting in a crowd full of bloodthirsty spectators while Shao Kahn lunges insults that lowers your stats. Shang Tsung would morph in to different Smash characters and fight the players while Kintaro will routinely wreck havoc by pouncing on whoever he comes across.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Scorpion is an out there choice, but the more you think about it, the more it makes sense. I'm personally a bigger fan of Sub-Zero (no offense), but I absolutely understand why Scorpion would be chosen instead. He's an icon in gaming, almost at the same level as Ryu (THE Fighting Game Mascot), who we've already gotten, so I can't see why we couldn't get Scorpion as well. Plus, seeing those two battle for the first time ever, in Smash of all things, would be legendary. I think Capcom would be more open to it as well, considering the less gory, violent nature of the game. I agree with replacing blood with sweat(if anything at all), and agree that The Pit would be ideal as his arena. I imagine his final smash would be a toned down version of his original fatality (removing his mask to reveal a skull which he then shoots a giant burst of fire out of), just without the burning people alive part. MK is a huge part of video game history, and absolutely deserves to be represented in Smash. I fully support the idea of Scorpion in Smash Switch.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I don't know, the reason Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe failed was because of how toned the gore was and Mortal Kombat fans loved the gore. There were a lot of people who hated how Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden were added in the Injustice series. Maybe it's Mortal Kombat not working well with the DC fanbase, but crossing Mortal Kombat over with Sonic, Mario, Pokémon and other kid-friendly franchises might not go over well. Then again, Snake and Bayonetta worked fine in Smash so I don't know.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Ive always preferred Mortal Kombat to every Capcom fighter (besides MvC2). Id wager that Mortal Kombat is actually MORE important to gaming than Street Fighter, since MK was pretty much THE game that lead to the creation of the ESRB and similar rating boards across the world, indirectly affecting EVERY single game that came out after it. (well, there is Night Trap, but that isnt really Smash Bros material...). Im not trying to dump on SF, i love those games too, but I believe MK is way more influential, and should get a spot in Smash Bros. I also NEED to see Scorpion vs Ryu, and the family friendly world of Smash may be the best battlefield for this since Capcom is underatandably iffy about seeing their babies Ryu and ChunLi get ripped limb from limb, sliced, diced, pounded, eaten and pretty much any other way to be brutalized.

In other words, Ive wanted Scorpion to GET OVER HERE and join Smash fpr quite a while now!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly think Kahn's Arena from MK2 would make for the best stage.

Imagine fighting in a crowd full of bloodthirsty spectators while Shao Kahn lunges insults that lowers your stats. Shang Tsung would morph in to different Smash characters and fight the players while Kintaro will routinely wreck havoc by pouncing on whoever he comes across.
For me, I say The Pit from the first Mortal Kombat game. It's iconic and it seems to work best as a Smash stage.

Pitfall item, Villager's Down Smash, and other moves that cause characters to be buried would make buried characters fall through the stage toward the spiked floor. Oh! And meteor smash moves could make characters fall through the stage too! The spiked floor would launch characters back up so it would give characters a chance to recover... if they don't get launched too far, that is!

Of course it would have no blood or gore or corpses in Smash. Just like how it was the original SNES port. See?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For me, I say The Pit from the first Mortal Kombat game. It's iconic and it seems to work best as a Smash stage.

Pitfall item, Villager's Down Smash, and other moves that cause characters to be buried would make buried characters fall through the stage toward the spiked floor. Oh! And meteor smash moves could make characters fall through the stage too! The spiked floor would launch characters back up so it would give characters a chance to recover... if they don't get launched too far, that is!

Of course it would have no blood or gore or corpses in Smash. Just like how it was the original SNES port. See?

Yeah but without blood and gore I think The Pit is really watered down IMO which is why I prefer to have Kahn's Arena from MK2.

It's the arena that most fans remember from playing Mortal Kombat in the arcade days when they would constantly lose to Kintaro and Shao Kahn so that would be really memorable for them lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Definitely count me in the supporters. Would be amazing to have Scorpion and Ryu duking it out in the same game. Let's just hope that Mortal Kombat isn't too "mature" for Smash.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Mortal Kombat X for my PS4. I support!

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
I think it's pretty clear Sakurai is aiming for recognizable impact among all gamers.

The current headcount for all third party fighters besides Bayonetta: Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, and Cloud all have one thing in common.
They are from titles that are recognizable in gaming history. You would have to live very deep under a rock if you don't know what Metal Gear, Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, PACMAN, Street Fighter, or Final Fantasy is.

What else is on the list that Sakurai could add that fits the iconic criteria? I think the next two logical choices are Scorpion and Lara Croft. I'm sure gamers and non gamers alike must have heard about Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider at least once.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Sign me up. Scorpion is worthy of playing with the other video game All Stars and it would be quite amusing seeing him partake in some of the more whimsical elements of Smash. Plus, it'd be great to have him take on Ryu; that would be every 90's fighting game fan kid's dream.

This is more-or-less how I would see the stage handled. The platform would be similar to the Skyworld clouds in that meteor and burying attack would send them through the floor. The floor would also share properties with the Congo Jungle 64 main platform in which players could pass through from below, but not drop through (voluntarily) via ducking.

The only change I would make is to have the spiked floor be off-screen and below the blast line, so that foes can be KOed with the downward attacks.

Visually, I'd go with the MK9 version as it has more details while still keeps the general aesthetics. It would be cool to have memorable faces of Mortal Kombat battling it out on the second bridge in the background. Maybe even have the silhouette of Santa Claus fly by the moon when this stage is played on in December.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ya know if Scorpion actually happened, imagine Sub-Zero, Ermac, and all the other ninjas you could have as echos, which if need be could be as simple as changing just one or two moves...

With the number of ninjas there are, it’s reaching, sure, but an idea any supporter could fancy nonetheless.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Ya know if Scorpion actually happened, imagine Sub-Zero, Ermac, and all the other ninjas you could have as echos, which if need be could be as simple as changing just one or two moves...

With the number of ninjas there are, it’s reaching, sure, but an idea any supporter could fancy nonetheless.
That would be really pushing Mortal Kombat in Smash Bros in a way that no other third-party franchise was treated. Sonic's the one that needs a second rep the most. New third-party franchises should start with one fighter.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I think it partly depends on what the other 3rd parties get, like if Sonic gets Shadow or someone as an echo, Ken or someone for Ryu, Jeanne for Bayonetta, etc. Even just Sub-Zero I’d be happy enough with as an echo for Scorp, which would actually fit the most given their history, while any other ninjas or anyone could just be trophies or something.

Not really even expecting Scorpion to happen anyway, cool as it’d be, so I just use threads like this for fun hypothetical talk/ideas.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Supporting.

The fact is: Street Fighter AND Mortal Kombat are legendary at the same level.

We have Ryu, now we need a MK rep.

And Scorpion is a great choice! His colors can mimic other Mortal Kombat Ninjas!

I imagine Sub-Zero, Sceptile, Noob, Smoke, etc...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
New third-party franchises should start with one fighter.
Sorry for the double-post reply, but Simon Belmont with Richter as an echo says hi to this rule now. :colorful:

If Scorpion actually got in, I think it would be fair to have Sub-Zero as an echo at the very least now.

Top Bottom