• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette Fan Club

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I'm on the topic, do you think I should retouch my Toad moveset? I'm asking because I see a lot of people saying to dial back on references

Jab: A simple one-two jab, followed up by a headbutt. 2%, 2%, 4%.
Forward Tilt: Toad rears back and slams his head, similarly to DK’s headbutt. 7%.
Up Tilt: Performs a short little hop, taking Mario’s iconic jump pose. 9%.
Down Tilt: As he crouches, Toad slides forward headfirst. This moves him forward in the direction he’s facing. 7%.
Dash Attack: Super Star: Toad runs forward with arms spread like an airplane, glowing with the power of a Super Star. He is completely invincible during this attack. 10%.

Forward Smash: Super Hammer: Using the Super Hammer, Toad swings a hammer as big as he is. 16.4%.

Up Smash: Toad points upwards as two mushrooms sprout up on either side of him. (think Squirtle’s up smash, but with mushrooms). 3.2% (initial hit), 14% (clean), 8.7% (late).

Down Smash: Boomerang Toad: Using the Boomerang Flower, Toad faces the screen and throws two boomerangs on either side of him. 15% (max range), 10% (point blank). The boomerangs go farther the more the move is charged.

Neutral Aerial: Toad releases spores in a quick burst around himself. 11%.
Forward Aerial: Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it forward. 7%. Toad will move forward slightly if he uses this attack.
Back Aerial: Reverse Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it behind himself. 8.3%. Toad will move backward slightly if he uses this attack.
Up Aerial: A headbutt, like what Ness and Lucas do. There's a sweet spot on the center of his head that releases spores. 17% (sweet spot), 11% (sides of head).
Down Aerial: Statue Toad: Using the Statue Leaf, Toad transforms into a statue and slams down hard. A meteor smash. 12.2% (clean), 8% (late). This move also has light armor for up to 9%. Try not to use this move offstage.

Grab: A standard grab with one hand. Nothing special here.
Pummel: Toad headbutts his opponent with his mushroom head. 1.2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Toad lifts the opponent over his head and throws them with both hands. The animation resembles that in Super Mario Bros. 2. 10%. This is a kill throw!
Back Throw: Toad turns around to throw the opponent with both hands. 11%.
Down Throw: Toad drops his opponent on the ground, then hops and headbutts. 1.1% (first hit), 7% (throw).
Up Throw: Toad drops the opponent and points upward as a mushroom sprouts underneath, popping the foe upward. 12.4%.

Neutral Special—Poison Shroom: Toad throws a Poison Mushroom that looks markedly different from the item. It slowly moves along the ground in the direction Toad was facing when he used the move. If an opponent touches it, the Poison Shroom will explode in a small burst of spores, paralyzing the foe. At higher percentages, this move may poison the foe. 13% (initial hit), 4.5% (spores), 1.7% (poison damage)

Side SpecialGolden Mushroom Dash: Toad rushes forward at high speed, colliding with foes. Unlike with Banjo and Kazooie's Wonderwing, Toad can turn around up to two times. The attack gets weaker the longer he runs. However, as he runs, he is capable of outpacing many characters, even Sonic!

Up SpecialPropeller Mushroom: Using the Propeller Mushroom, Toad flies upward while spinning. The propeller damages opponents multiple times, and he descends slowly. Tap down to use a Drill Spin meteor smash! 2.3% (propeller), 6.4% (Drill Spin)

Down SpecialMystery Block: A ? Block appears above Toad, who bashes it to receive a power-up! Toad can get:

Fire Flower: Gives him a Fire Flower item to hold and use.
Super Mushroom: Gives him a Super Mushroom item, so that he may grow.
Green Shell: Gives him a Green Shell item to hold and use.
Super Star: Toad receives the power of a Super Star, making him invincible
Poison Mushroom: Shrinks Toad.

In order from most common to least common: Fire Flower, Green Shell, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Super Star.

Final SmashWarp Whistle: Toad takes out a Warp Whistle and plays that familiar tune, summoning a tornado that scoops opponents up and whisks them away! This Final Smash is very effective on stages with low upper blast lines. 34%
re touch it if you want but I’m good with references. plus love the FS idea

Laniv

Smash Lord
Mario's mustache is lookin' a little thin, but other than, everyone is looking great, especially Donkey Kong and Kamek.

Except Peach. Something's a little off about Peach's face.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mario's mustache is lookin' a little thin, but other than, everyone is looking great, especially Donkey Kong and Kamek.

Except Peach. Something's a little off about Peach's face.
I just like the fact we got a characterized Blue Paratroopa again. We had an Elite Trio in Bowser's Inside Story, but that was it. This one even has the Blue Spiny Shell on top, suggesting it could be Mario Kart-related(or at least a related joke?).

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Someone's made a Smash mod featuring Toad:

The moveset is a little... odd, in places, but it's nice to see such enthusiasm for the character
Sometimes a bit weird indeed. The blue shell comes a bit of out nowhere, we should at least see some body parts of the character inside; the Thwomp crushing yourself but not damaging you is strange; and the final smash could be more impressive and feature different colored Toads. But all in all, it does have a lot of charm.

Oh, and no "shala mala baba" from Toadsworth? That's unacceptable! :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Welp, finally saw the Mario Movie.

I really dug it. I'll leave some thoughts in spoilers in case you haven't seen it:

1. So Chris Pratt wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Mario is surprisingly likable. I think the internet had prepared me for far worse, and the many years of user generated 'Mario bullies Luigi' allowed me to be pleasently surprised by their genuinely nice brotherly bond.
  2. So many references and gameplay visualisations. I frankly didn't have time to be bored as I was too busy spotting all the easter eggs. It was mildly distracting for the actual fim though.
  3. I usually really dislike Seth Rogan and I've never been a huge Donkey Kong guy, so I was kind of shocked at how much I liked him in this version.
  4. Mario, Peach and DK really stole the show.
  5. Bowser was used far more sparingly than I'd assumed he would be. Kind of crazy that he and Mario don't even interact once before the very end of the film.
  6. Luigi got his big spotlight moment alongside Mario for the final battle as I knew he would. Was arguing with Luigi fans that they would get something at least.
  7. Seeing characters like Diddy, Dixie, Chunky, King Boo, King Bob-Omb and Pauline get brief cameos was really fun. King Bob-Omb even had an effect on the story.
  8. Spike was a nice surprise although I felt his inclusion was really good but lacked a real payoff after his initial antagonism. He appears at the end, but he's just sorta there. Still nice to see basically forgotten characters being brought back, as they did with Pauline in Odyssey.
  9. Cranky was...bad honestly. Easily the most out of character and miscast I felt. The entire Kong Army was a huge waste of time...and we don't even get to see Kongs we care about like Diddy, Dixie, Funky, etc join in the Kart Race towards Bowser.
  10. Kamek was fine, but much like Bowser underutilised.
  11. The Blue Shell Koopa Troopa was also fine and served his purpose well, but probably could have done with a few more scenes just like the rest of the Koopa army.
  12. Mario and Luigi's family was weird. Like I'm not sure how I feel about having a huge family introduced to us like that, and although Charles Martinet does a good job voicing the father(and also Jumpman at the beginning), he does feel like he's forced in there to give Mario some sort of familial issues that can be resolved pretty quickly.
  13. Utterly dejected that Toadsworth isn't the one who finds Baby Peach or is even on her council. Wasted. I guess Toadsworth really has been struck from the cast?
  14. No sign of Toadette was a surprise. Was expecting a cameo at least amongst all the Toads.
  15. After credits scenes. There are two. I missed the last one and it's the one I would have cared more about. Whoops.

Unfortunately Toad was a bit of a let down. Not for Keegan-Michael Key's efforts(who works fine, although his voice sometimes sounds very artificial), or even because the portrayal of Toad as this unhinged energetic thrillseeker kind of guy isn't fun, but because he's utterly underutilised.

Unlike the rest of the main cast of Mario, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong and Luigi, Toad didn't really get a moment where he contributed to the battle against the Koopa army, and actively ends up in the way a few times, forcing Peach to submit to Bowser or change what she's doing to save him. Best he manages is getting Peach an ice flower so SHE can fight. That's pretty much his contribution to the entire third act despite going to the real world with the others for the final showdown with Bowser. He's the only one who doesn't try and fight.

Now obviously as a Toad fan, it'd be easy to say I felt he was underutilised at any point, but after the line 'I will protect you' is spouted to Peach TWICE(once as a joke, and then once sincerely), I figured he'd do something to protect her even if very briefly...instead Peach rescues HIM on Rainbow Road, and tells him to escape whilst she single handedly fights every major antagonist in the Mario verse.

I was hoping at the bare minimum Toad was going to clobbed Kamek with his frying pan whilst everyone was busy with Bowser...I don't even recall what happened to Kamek at the end of it all. Or alternatively and at very bare minimum he'd be the one to knock the superstar towards Mario seeing as he's often the one who presents the brothers with the power ups.

There's no real pay off for the either the comment about protecting Peach, the comment about him displaying rare bravery for a Toad or even his self claim of being Mario's best friend since that dynamic is canabilised somewhat by Donkey Kong taking a lot of the 'friendship' moments with Mario instead, and it just makes me a bit disappointed since he's the only major character on the adventure that felt like he didn't need to be there. As a Toad fan I shouldn't be questioning why one of the four main Mario hero characters is in the Mario movie.

All that said though, I was grinning ear to ear the entire time and the high energy action kept me throughly entertained. Would happily watch as many sequels to this as possible, but absolutely do not want a Smash Bros. cinematic universe though since the first one has already struggled to give every character enough to do and I just see a Smash Bros. one giving very little for 90% of the roster to do. Just...use Toad better next time.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I should be able to see the movie soon. Already looks great so far from what I've seen and heard~

Finally over Covid as well, though I don't know if I'll have popcorn yet. My throat is still bleh.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Gonna be honest, hearing that Toad doesn't get to do much in the movie is kinda disappointing.

This talk of the movie reminds me of something: Has anyone here heard of Super Brothers? It's a fancomic that acts as a retelling of the original Super Mario Bros. in the style of a children's book. It's actually fairly faithful, and just like the Illumination movie, it does contain plenty of small references and easter eggs for longtime Mario fans. And, relevant to the conversation, Toad is a major character, and unlike in the Mario movie, he plays a pretty major part, actively assisting Mario in his adventure.

There's even an in-progress dub, watchable here, and the voices are pretty game-accurate unlike the movie

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gonna be honest, hearing that Toad doesn't get to do much in the movie is kinda disappointing.

This talk of the movie reminds me of something: Has anyone here heard of Super Brothers? It's a fancomic that acts as a retelling of the original Super Mario Bros. in the style of a children's book. It's actually fairly faithful, and just like the Illumination movie, it does contain plenty of small references and easter eggs for longtime Mario fans. And, relevant to the conversation, Toad is a major character, and unlike in the Mario movie, he plays a pretty major part, actively assisting Mario in his adventure.

There's even an in-progress dub, watchable here, and the voices are pretty game-accurate unlike the movie

that reminds me: anyone hear that archie proposed a mario comic to nintendo? ages ago it was but i think i'll check and see what toad was gonna do in it

Laniv

Smash Lord
that reminds me: anyone hear that archie proposed a mario comic to nintendo? ages ago it was but i think i'll check and see what toad was gonna do in it
From what I hear, it would have been a standard retelling of the original game. Unfortunately, from the initial pitch of a 4-part mini series, it doesn't look like Toad was going to do very much; the storyline instead focuses on the brothers. However, since it was only a pitch for 4 parts, it's possible that Toad would have taken a more active role had the comic been successful.

Of note is that Ian Flynn, who pitched the Mario comic initially, said that it's "not how (he'd) approach a Mario project today - too much drama, not enough whimsy."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what I hear, it would have been a standard retelling of the original game. Unfortunately, from the initial pitch of a 4-part mini series, it doesn't look like Toad was going to do very much; the storyline instead focuses on the brothers. However, since it was only a pitch for 4 parts, it's possible that Toad would have taken a more active role had the comic been successful.

Of note is that Ian Flynn, who pitched the Mario comic initially, said that it's "not how (he'd) approach a Mario project today - too much drama, not enough whimsy."

I did like the artwork for it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tons of fanart doesn't have perfect proportions. ...Which is why it's fanart, not trying to directly make a 1:1 recreation. That's mostly done for models or pixelart. Where it matters a bit, since they serve a unique purpose. Regular drawings are quite variable.

Anyway, that's a pretty neat alt set for Captain Toad(...I don't know why they call the set Toad when it's blatantly only the Captain being represented, and in the first slot too).

Laniv

Smash Lord
I know Smash Bros is over for the time being, but I've been thinking about something.

I had an odd dream where Toad got in with a composite moveset, taking aspects from both regular Toad and Captain Toad. Like, he'd have a pickaxe in one attack and a ? Block in another.

Would that be acceptable for Toad fans?
Coming back to this: a ludicrous self-indulgent idea

Toad using the "power up guy" moveset, Captain Toad having a moveset inspired by his game of origin, and Toadette taking some things from both characters

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's certainly a more interesting Super Mario Bros. 2D title than we're used to.

A very minor thing but with Daisy being used now why we still using Yellow Toad? I always figured we didn't use the red Toad just so the cast were all different colours but if Daisy is yellow and Peach has yellow hair...why not just use the classic Toad at this point?
View attachment 373650

Why does that Goomba have Blue Toad's mushroom cap though
Guess Blue Toad is returning as an alt option like in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and turning into a Goomba is a power up?

I still can't tell if Yoshi is a playable character or a power up though.

Laniv

Smash Lord
That's certainly a more interesting Super Mario Bros. 2D title than we're used to.

A very minor thing but with Daisy being used now why we still using Yellow Toad? I always figured we didn't use the red Toad just so the cast were all different colours but if Daisy is yellow and Peach has yellow hair...why not just use the classic Toad at this point?

Guess Blue Toad is returning as an alt option like in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and turning into a Goomba is a power up?

From what I can tell in the trailer, Yoshi is both playable and power up: Four colors of Yoshi are seen, but Mario is also jumping on a (seemingly playable) Yoshi just a couple seconds earlier.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

there's shots showing nothing but yoshis on stage so you're in luck, both your namesakes are playable

Top Bottom