• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette Fan Club

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hey everyone,

I never played Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, nor 3D World. I only played the free demo of Treasure Tracker. I just finished Mario Odyssey (with all the Moons - yes, if you do that, you gotta brag, I reckon it's the law) and... I love Captain Toad. The guy is cute, funny, he has a great design, you find him in unexpected places, he has a nice theme-song... He's like a friend you're always happy to see and who's always happy to see you.

I love him and I want him in Smash. He should be in by now. If I had to choose between him and "regular Toad", I would pick him (although I like regular Toad too).

Ah, well. It's unfair, but I think the guy himself wouldn't be mad for not being playable and would be just as happy showing up in the background of a stage once in a blue moon.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey everyone,

I never played Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, nor 3D World. I only played the free demo of Treasure Tracker. I just finished Mario Odyssey (with all the Moons - yes, if you do that, you gotta brag, I reckon it's the law) and... I love Captain Toad. The guy is cute, funny, he has a great design, you find him in unexpected places, he has a nice theme-song... He's like a friend you're always happy to see and who's always happy to see you.

I love him and I want him in Smash. He should be in by now. If I had to choose between him and "regular Toad", I would pick him (although I like regular Toad too).

Ah, well. It's unfair, but I think the guy himself wouldn't be mad for not being playable and would be just as happy showing up in the background of a stage once in a blue moon.
set the captain toad songs to high and he’ll appear when they play

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
some times i read smash wiki and feel the magic has gone out the series
To me that magic's turned into Celebration of Videogaming-kind, more than anything. Not that it seems to get me hyped much as regular Smash-fans today would. :ultgnw:

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Well, here it comes: the first look at the Mario movie.

The Toads look not-terrible, so that's fine (especially what looks to be Toad the character, who seems to have a fancy backpack.)

This is the extent of any optimism I may have for this movie. Illumination movies tend to look nice, but fairly subpar substance-wise.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, I will say I was pleasantly surprised. I see the Toads have a more defined leg design, which I'm not against.

To my surprise my first impression having seen the trailer is...pretty good. Cautiously optimistic.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I will say I was pleasantly surprised. I see the Toads have a more defined leg design, which I'm not against.

To my surprise my first impression having seen the trailer is...pretty good. Cautiously optimistic.
well doom and gloom seems to be the less common opinion

Laniv

Smash Lord
It's not a high bar to clear, but I think Toad and Bowser had the best voices of the cast we've seen so far.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am happy with The Super Mario Bros. Movie so far. I am just hoping that Mario and Luigi are from New Donk City and not Brooklyn in this movie. But something tells me they will be from Brooklyn and not New Donk City since Mario seems unfamiliar with the Mushroom Kingdom in this movie… meaning Mario being native to the Mushroom World as shown in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island and Mario having a childhood in the Mushroom Kingdom as shown in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time didn’t happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I am happy with The Super Mario Bros. Movie so far. I am just hoping that Mario and Luigi are from New Donk City and not Brooklyn in this movie. But something tells me they will be from Brooklyn and not New Donk City since Mario seems unfamiliar with the Mushroom Kingdom in this movie… meaning Mario being native to the Mushroom World as shown in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island and Mario having a childhood in the Mushroom Kingdom as shown in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time didn’t happen.
well it’s a movie so those won’t have happened anyway

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It does seem like they're going more for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, original film's premise of Mario and Luigi being from a totally different dimension and being suckered in.

On a side note; I enjoy Toad's backpack. Really cements him as the item guy and Mario's guide.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It does seem like they're going more for the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, original film's premise of Mario and Luigi being from a totally different dimension and being suckered in.

On a side note; I enjoy Toad's backpack. Really cements him as the item guy and Mario's guide.
now if only he had the right voice

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I still dont get how the heck Waluigi, Pauline and Geno are morew Realistic/ Wished for?!
I mean Toad is Playable in so Many Mario Games! And Hes The Last MAin MArio Character to be added! But instead People want Waluigi a Guy who has like 2 Moves that are his own, Pauline who can sing i guess and Geno who even if we get 2 Rpg Characters shouldnt be one of them! So Yeah... Im Just Confused!
Honestly that confuses me as much as the vitriolic Bandana Waddle Dee Hate!
I mean i still think Zelda and Kirby should get up to 6-8 Chars First but after that do Toad Immeadiatly!

Laniv

Smash Lord
Alright, another Mario movie trailer is coming tomorrow, and we get this poster of Toad:

1669679720920.png

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given all the other playable characters (barring Toadette) are already in Smash, I always thought you could mine NSMB & SM3DW for Toad moves; boomerang flower, penguin suit, cannon box, propeller box, cat suit, squirrel suit, etc. Maybe have his Final Smash be a Double Cherry that creates 4 Toads that run across the screen causing havoc, something like that. I mean it doesn't seem like any of those mechanics are getting in Smash outside level concepts anyway, so why not throw them on Toad? A version of him has used all those elements in those games, so its as legitimate as anything else for him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright, another Mario movie trailer is coming tomorrow, and we get this poster of Toad:

View attachment 364381
Niiiice. He's looking good and ready to fight.

Which is odd, cause he's so cowardly. But who knows, maybe they're slightly changing him up to be courageous from the start. Or maybe it's a faux thing as he can still pretend to have lots of courage, but is still fairly cowardly. He's lovable either way. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i am not looking forward to toad getting butchered further. i hope they leave toadette out of it

Laniv

Smash Lord
Saw the trailer. Now that I've gotten a proper listen, I can safely say that Chris Pratt Mario is really terrible. :4pacman:

On the plus side, at least Donkey Kong looks okay.

Laniv

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, Toad will be voiced by Tomokazu Seki in the Japanese dub of the movie. You may know him as Suneo from Doraemon, Whisper from Yokai Watch, Kanji from Persona 4, Yoshimitsu from Tekken, and Sonic the Werehog, among others.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For what it's worth, Toad will be voiced by Tomokazu Seki in the Japanese dub of the movie. You may know him as Suneo from Doraemon, Whisper from Yokai Watch, Kanji from Persona 4, Yoshimitsu from Tekken, and Sonic the Werehog, among others.

not if you only watch dubs

Laniv

Smash Lord
Currently brainstorming a Toad reveal trailer for this new year. Will keep you posted

Laniv

Smash Lord
Currently brainstorming a Toad reveal trailer for this new year. Will keep you posted
Almost done, but a question: Would y'all prefer just text, or would you like images to go along with it?

Laniv

Smash Lord
And now, here is Chef Toad from Super Nintendo World, speaking in full English sentences:

See, Illumination? The game cast can speak full sentences just fine >:T

Quillion

Smash Hero
Captain Toad is handled so weirdly. He's a main series character who's exclusively a main series character (and happens to have his own spinoff).

None of the spinoff developers want to put him in the spinoffs.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Captain Toad is handled so weirdly. He's a main series character who's exclusively a main series character (and happens to have his own spinoff).

None of the spinoff developers want to put him in the spinoffs.
i thought they put him in tour?

Quillion

Smash Hero
true. I am hoping to see him in future karts
It's so weird that Tour is watered down for mobile in many ways yet it has a lot that mainline Kart can learn from.

I hope the next Kart can go harder on costumes, so at least we get a ton of Odyssey outfits for Mario and Peach, and yes, Captain Toad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's so weird that Tour is watered down for mobile in many ways yet it has a lot that mainline Kart can learn from.

I hope the next Kart can go harder on costumes, so at least we get a ton of Odyssey outfits for Mario and Peach, and yes, Captain Toad.
well a lot of that does come from it being a mobile game. Hundreds of extras to tempt micro payments

Laniv

Smash Lord
One last thing before I put the finishing touches on that trailer: Would you prefer "Ready to Party" as his tagline, or "Causes Truffle"? (it's regular Toad if that matters)

Laniv

Smash Lord
Finished my Toad Trailer concept! No images for now, but they might come later!
SSBU_Trailer_Intro.gif

The camera fades in on a bright blue sky. A Lakitu, holding a camera on the end of a fishing pole, floats into view as a familiar tune plays in the background. It floats down, revealing the top of a spire, and the camera pulls back to reveal a sweeping view of Princess Peach’s castle just as the tune starts to swell. The Lakitu flies under the bridge leading to the castle, floats back up, and descends onto a grassy clearing, where a Warp Pipe pops out of the ground. The camera changes to hovering over the pipe with a click…

“Yahoo!”

Our hero, Mario, leaps out of the pipe! After a moment, he looks around, as if waiting for something. He glances back at the pipe and taps his foot.

“Oh yeah!”

Luigi is here, too!

Both brothers look at the castle up ahead. They look at each other, nod, and rush off towards the castle, unaware of a dark shadow hiding among the clouds…

In the castle proper, Princess Peach personally welcomes Mario and Luigi inside (the brothers take off their hats as greetings). Peach claps her hands, and a table carrying an array of food is brought in (by whom, it is unclear). Peach removes a lid, and a wondrous, magnificent cake, five layers high is revealed, a heavenly choir singing in the distance. The Mario brothers drool and swoon over it, and Mario pulls on a bib. Just as they’re about to dig in, rumbling sounds off in the distance. Everyone looks around, confused, Luigi looking sideways at Mario for a moment—was he really that hungry? “Look!” Peach shouts.

The camera focuses on the stained glass window of Princess Peach. The rumbling grows louder and louder… Then, without warning, it shatters as Bowser crashes through in his Koopa Clown Car! Silverware goes flying! Plates fragment against the walls! The mighty King of the Koopas dismounts from his chariot and roars!

Mario and Luigi leap into action, Peach joining them a moment later, parasol at the ready. Both parties stare each other down in a tense moment. Luigi swallows loudly, a single bead of sweat rolling down his chin. From behind the wreckage of the table, the camera changes to a lone figure observing the upcoming battle…

Mario breaks first. He rushes at Bowser and jumps up, fist reared back. It’s an obvious move that Bowser easily blocks. The king’s mouth begins to glow with flame, but is stopped when Luigi stomps on his head from above. Mario drops to the ground and, with Peach by his side, rams a fist and parasol straight into Bowser’s gut.

Growling, Bowser tries to counter with his own punch aimed at the Mario brothers, but suddenly finds himself about to hit… a floating heart?! Peach is behind the heart, smiling a bit too sweetly. Bowser’s eyes widen for a brief moment as his fist connects, the heart responding with a blast of light magic on contact. That same figure continues to watch…

Bowser goes flying back, tucking into his shell to break his fall. The heroes approach, ready to finish the fight. Luigi goes first, and reaches for his tail, but leaps backward as the shell begins to spin. With a hop, Bowser pops out of his shell and uses the momentum to breathe fire in a circle, forcing the heroes to back off. The flames dissipate. Mario stands protectively in front of Luigi and Peach. Suddenly, Bowser grabs Mario and throws him at Luigi, sending both brothers crashing into the wall, knocking them out.

Bowser chuckles evilly and advances on the duo, only for Peach to smack him with her frying pan. It actually stops him for a moment, snapping his head back… but only for a moment. Bowser swats the frying pan out of her hands, and when she switches back to her parasol, he slashes it to ribbons with his claws!

Peach stumbles back and falls, eyes wide. Bowser grins wickedly. Back to the POV of the mysterious observer. They look down at their hands, which clench into fists. They look over to their left. A Golden Mushroom sits there, glowing softly.

Back to the fight, Peach looks over at the Mario brothers. Mario struggles to get up, to protect Peach, but can’t summon the strength…

Stomp, stomp, stomp. Bowser lumbers towards Peach, reaching towards her. It’s all over… Can nothing be done? Who can save her?

Quick as a flash, a golden glow, streaks towards the two of them, knocking the Koopa King off balance! Bowser’s head whips around, snorting angrily. Who dares?!

A high-pitched grunt of exertion sounds from behind him. Bowser’s eyes go wide. A pair of arms grab his tail.

Bowser is spun around one, two, three times before being tossed into the staircase. He’s down, but not out. Who is brave enough to challenge the great and terrible king of the Koopas?

The figure, cloaked in shadow, plucks two 1-Up Mushrooms from their person and tosses them to the Mario brothers. Back on their feet, they immediately rush to the princess to make sure she’s okay. But who…?

The figure takes Peach’s hand in theirs—it’s going to be okay. They turn back towards Bowser, who’s more than ready for round two.

Stepping out of the shadows, the figure reveals themself. A pair of soft brown shoes, round white pants, a blue vest with gold lining, and a white mushroom cap with red spots. Why, who could it be but…

1674673069339.png

Toad Causes Truffle!!

Familiar, bouncy music starts up as Toad lands on Mushroom Kingdom II and taunts. “Let’s do this!” He rushes off to the right. Cue gameplay montage!

Toad lands a 3-hit jab against Falco on Figure-8 Circuit. The scene switches to the Pirate Ship where Toad uses his forward smash, Super Hammer, on King Dedede. On Delfino Plaza, Toad uses his up tilt, hopping in Mario’s jump pose, three times on Bowser Jr. before Mario arrives and uses Super Jump Punch on the Koopa.

On Kalos Pokemon League, Ness and Olimar charge at Toad from either side, who launches the both of them with two boomerangs thrown from either side. Our brave mushroom hero rushes at Ganondorf in Smashville, a golden glow surrounding him, but the demon king dodges. But Toad quickly turns around as he runs past him, successfully ramming into Ganondorf on the second go, KOing him.

On PictoChat, Toad tosses out a Poison Mushroom, his neutral special. The camera zooms in on it, as it slides on the ground next to the item Poison Mushroom—Toad’s has a purple cap with pink spots, like in Super Mario 3D Land. It slides into Little Mac, where it explodes into spores on contact, stopping the boxer in his tracks.

Toad throws two Poison Mushrooms on the Coliseum. The first slides into Lucario, paralyzing it, while the second slides into Fox, paralyzing and shrinking him.

In Palutena’s Temple, Toad uses his up special move, Propellor Mushroom, to soar high, in between Peach and Daisy using their own up special moves. All three of them drift slowly down, but Toad quickly drills down to launch a waiting Mr. Game & Watch.

The scene changes to Mario Galaxy, where Toad runs to the left, then quickly runs back to the right, as some of Toad’s alternate colors follow him: blue, green, yellow, and purple.

On Mario Circuit, Toad grabs and pummels Marth before throwing him onto the ground and headbutting him. As Marth bounces off the stage, Toad gives chase and whips him away with a raccoon tail.

The scene changes again, with Toad falling in his Statue form, with Kirby’s Thwomp stone form following suit. Both characters change back at the same time, with Kirby being revealed to be sporting Toad’s Mushroom cap. Toad trips on the spot.

Toad next appears on Peach’s Castle, in front of his liege. Wolf hops up to attack, but Peach counters with her new neutral special: Heart Guard!
1674673200777.png

(visual reference)

Two hearts with eyes surround the princess for a brief moment. The move is demonstrated by it countering Shulk’s Back Slash, and reflecting Mewtwo’s Shadow Ball a moment later. It even catches a Bob-omb thrown by Ike, who flees—too late—as Peach throws the explosive right back. Both Toad and Peach taunt.

In the Garden of Hope, King K. Rool charges at Toad, who uses his down special: Mystery Block. The block appears and bestows upon him a Super Mushroom, causing him to grow. K. Rool quickly turns tail and flees, with Toad in hot pursuit. To the side, Toad’s blue color uses the same move, only to get a Poison Mushroom and shrink, forcing him to flee from the oncoming Peckish Aristocrab.

Finally, on Mushroom Kingdom U, Toad uses his Final Smash: Warp Whistle! Toad takes it out with a spin and plays that tune, summoning a massive tornado to scoop up Bowser, Ridley, and Wario, sending all three off the stage. The camera focuses on Toad as he taunts alongside Mario and Luigi, spinning a 1-Up Mushroom on his finger. Cue logo.

Back in the CGI trailer, Bowser is sent flying out of Peach’s Castle, complete with a twinkle where he disappears into the distance. Toad wipes his brow—a close one, indeed. A visibly tired Mario and Luigi hop up behind Toad and give him a hearty slap on the shoulder and a thumbs-up: “Way to go!” “You number one!” Toad bashfully waves away the praise. Ever the humble mushroom, he is. Princess Peach approaches him, smiling warmly, and Toad looks even more modest, somehow. She kneels down and kisses him, right on his little mushroom cap. Toad blinks and timidly scratches the side of his head, unused to being the hero. As the scene irises out, he does manage to flash the V sign: “I’m the winner!”

Laniv

Smash Lord
While I'm on the topic, do you think I should retouch my Toad moveset? I'm asking because I see a lot of people saying to dial back on references

Jab: A simple one-two jab, followed up by a headbutt. 2%, 2%, 4%.
Forward Tilt: Toad rears back and slams his head, similarly to DK’s headbutt. 7%.
Up Tilt: Performs a short little hop, taking Mario’s iconic jump pose. 9%.
Down Tilt: As he crouches, Toad slides forward headfirst. This moves him forward in the direction he’s facing. 7%.
Dash Attack: Super Star: Toad runs forward with arms spread like an airplane, glowing with the power of a Super Star. He is completely invincible during this attack. 10%.

Forward Smash: Super Hammer: Using the Super Hammer, Toad swings a hammer as big as he is. 16.4%.

Up Smash: Toad points upwards as two mushrooms sprout up on either side of him. (think Squirtle’s up smash, but with mushrooms). 3.2% (initial hit), 14% (clean), 8.7% (late).

Down Smash: Boomerang Toad: Using the Boomerang Flower, Toad faces the screen and throws two boomerangs on either side of him. 15% (max range), 10% (point blank). The boomerangs go farther the more the move is charged.

Neutral Aerial: Toad releases spores in a quick burst around himself. 11%.
Forward Aerial: Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it forward. 7%. Toad will move forward slightly if he uses this attack.
Back Aerial: Reverse Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it behind himself. 8.3%. Toad will move backward slightly if he uses this attack.
Up Aerial: A headbutt, like what Ness and Lucas do. There's a sweet spot on the center of his head that releases spores. 17% (sweet spot), 11% (sides of head).
Down Aerial: Statue Toad: Using the Statue Leaf, Toad transforms into a statue and slams down hard. A meteor smash. 12.2% (clean), 8% (late). This move also has light armor for up to 9%. Try not to use this move offstage.

Grab: A standard grab with one hand. Nothing special here.
Pummel: Toad headbutts his opponent with his mushroom head. 1.2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Toad lifts the opponent over his head and throws them with both hands. The animation resembles that in Super Mario Bros. 2. 10%. This is a kill throw!
Back Throw: Toad turns around to throw the opponent with both hands. 11%.
Down Throw: Toad drops his opponent on the ground, then hops and headbutts. 1.1% (first hit), 7% (throw).
Up Throw: Toad drops the opponent and points upward as a mushroom sprouts underneath, popping the foe upward. 12.4%.

Neutral Special—Poison Shroom: Toad throws a Poison Mushroom that looks markedly different from the item. It slowly moves along the ground in the direction Toad was facing when he used the move. If an opponent touches it, the Poison Shroom will explode in a small burst of spores, paralyzing the foe. At higher percentages, this move may poison the foe. 13% (initial hit), 4.5% (spores), 1.7% (poison damage)

Side SpecialGolden Mushroom Dash: Toad rushes forward at high speed, colliding with foes. Unlike with Banjo and Kazooie's Wonderwing, Toad can turn around up to two times. The attack gets weaker the longer he runs. However, as he runs, he is capable of outpacing many characters, even Sonic!

Up SpecialPropeller Mushroom: Using the Propeller Mushroom, Toad flies upward while spinning. The propeller damages opponents multiple times, and he descends slowly. Tap down to use a Drill Spin meteor smash! 2.3% (propeller), 6.4% (Drill Spin)

Down SpecialMystery Block: A ? Block appears above Toad, who bashes it to receive a power-up! Toad can get:

Fire Flower: Gives him a Fire Flower item to hold and use.
Super Mushroom: Gives him a Super Mushroom item, so that he may grow.
Green Shell: Gives him a Green Shell item to hold and use.
Super Star: Toad receives the power of a Super Star, making him invincible
Poison Mushroom: Shrinks Toad.

In order from most common to least common: Fire Flower, Green Shell, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Super Star.

Final SmashWarp Whistle: Toad takes out a Warp Whistle and plays that familiar tune, summoning a tornado that scoops opponents up and whisks them away! This Final Smash is very effective on stages with low upper blast lines. 34%

Top Bottom