• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette Fan Club

Laniv

Smash Lord
I know I'm never giving up on Toad

I'm pushing for this little guy to the end

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright brigade I’ve got a game to get this thread going: picture a captain toad follow up with multiple playable toads with unique abilities. Who would like to see and what would you like them to do?

Laniv

Smash Lord
Alright brigade I’ve got a game to get this thread going: picture a captain toad follow up with multiple playable toads with unique abilities. Who would like to see and what would you like them to do?

I got some ideas!

Assuming not jumping is the norm for this game:

Captain Toad: The "Mario" of the group. Average walking speed and turnip plucking speed, but his headlamp allows him to defeat certain enemies such as Boos.

Archivist Toadette (Toadette for short): Faster than average walker, but slower than average at plucking turnips. Should she fall into a bottomless pit, she'll float right back up from where she fell--but only once.

Green Toad (aka Banktoad) : The slowest walker, but the quickest at plucking turnips. This powerful Toad pickaxe allows him to dig through dirt and defeat/stun enemies.

Blue Toad (aka Hint Toad) : Average walking speed, but slower than average turnip plucking speed. This clever Toad carries a map with him, allowing him to find hidden collectibles.

Yellow Toad: Slower than average walker, but the slowest at plucking turnips. Somehow, this sleepy and carefree Toad is capable of jumping.

Purple Toad (aka Mailtoad) : The fastest walker, but slower than average turnip plucking speed. This cautious Toad carries health-restoring items in his mailbag, which can help him out in a pinch.

Please keep in mind that these are still fairly rudimentary ideas

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I got some ideas!

Assuming not jumping is the norm for this game:

Captain Toad: The "Mario" of the group. Average walking speed and turnip plucking speed, but his headlamp allows him to defeat certain enemies such as Boos.

Archivist Toadette (Toadette for short): Faster than average walker, but slower than average at plucking turnips. Should she fall into a bottomless pit, she'll float right back up from where she fell--but only once.

Green Toad (aka Banktoad) : The slowest walker, but the quickest at plucking turnips. This powerful Toad pickaxe allows him to dig through dirt and defeat/stun enemies.

Blue Toad (aka Hint Toad) : Average walking speed, but slower than average turnip plucking speed. This clever Toad carries a map with him, allowing him to find hidden collectibles.

Yellow Toad: Slower than average walker, but the slowest at plucking turnips. Somehow, this sleepy and carefree Toad is capable of jumping.

Purple Toad (aka Mailtoad) : The fastest walker, but slower than average turnip plucking speed. This cautious Toad carries health-restoring items in his mailbag, which can help him out in a pinch.

Please keep in mind that these are still fairly rudimentary ideas
well theyre interesting ideas

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad:
Plays the same as the original, has a headlamp capable of taking out ghosts and his heavy backpack allows him to crush any opponent he falls on top of. Captain Toad's backpack also allows him to carry two objects with him, one in the backpack and one in his hands, making some puzzles that require multiple items, such as keys, considerably easier.
Speed: 3
HP: 2
Pluck: 3
Throw: 3

Archivist Toadette:
Speedier than the Captain (as she no longer carries the backpack) and capable of utilising the unique Peachette Crown power up to float over small gaps allowing for shortcuts to areas the others must take the long way round to get to. Due to her 100% approval rating and adorable looks, Shy Guys are less likely to approach her.
Speed: 4
Pluck: 2

Hint Toad:
Able to access hidden pathways the other Toads cannot via his superior intellect due to his ability to read ancient texts. Due to his observant nature, he can see through disguised Boos as well, recognising them before they jump out at him. He's also nimble and can pluck fast, but his throw is the weakest of the bunch.
Pluck: 5
Throw: 1

Bank Toad:
Is capable of digging up additional golden coins when using the Super Pickaxe item netting higher treasure counts as well as the pickaxe lasting slightly longer. He's a little slower to get to full speed than the others, but weaker opponents such as Goombas will think twice before attacking someone with such a strong swing.
Speed: 2
Pluck: 4
Throw: 4

Yellow Toad(...he really needs a unique name):
The slowest overall of the Brigade due to his lazy nature, but is capable of taking three hits before death. Yellow Toad also can briefly take a nap to regenerate his health, although it leaves him static and open to further attacks.
Speed: 1
HP: 3

MailToad:

The fastest of the group and a great throwing arm, MailToad can pluck, throw and sprint as he delivers pain to his opponents. The downside is MailToad only has a single hit point and will die if he's hit. His constant zipping about will also catch the eye of opponents such as Charging Chucks quicker than other Toads.
Speed: 5
HP: 1
Throw: 5

Toadsworth:
Toadsworth has had years of leading the Toad army, and as such knows how to shoot twice as many turnips out the turnip cannon than his younger allies. Toadsworth also has more years of experience than the others, allowing him to sometimes come across more valuable treasure than the others along the way.
Throw: 2

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Captain Toad:
Plays the same as the original, has a headlamp capable of taking out ghosts and his heavy backpack allows him to crush any opponent he falls on top of. Captain Toad's backpack also allows him to carry two objects with him, one in the backpack and one in his hands, making some puzzles that require multiple items, such as keys, considerably easier.
Speed: 3

Archivist Toadette:
Speedier than the Captain (as she no longer carries the backpack) and capable of utilising the unique Peachette Crown power up to float over small gaps allowing for shortcuts to areas the others must take the long way round to get to. Due to her 100% approval rating and adorable looks, Shy Guys are less likely to approach her.

Hint Toad:
Able to access hidden pathways the other Toads cannot via his superior intellect due to his ability to read ancient texts. Due to his observant nature, he can see through disguised Boos as well, recognising them before they jump out at him. He's also nimble and can pluck fast, but his throw is the weakest of the bunch.
Throw: 1

Bank Toad:
Is capable of digging up additional golden coins when using the Super Pickaxe item netting higher treasure counts as well as the pickaxe lasting slightly longer. He's a little slower to get to full speed than the others, but weaker opponents such as Goombas will think twice before attacking someone with such a strong swing.
Pluck: 4
Throw: 4

Yellow Toad(...he really needs a unique name):
The slowest overall of the Brigade due to his lazy nature, but is capable of taking three hits before death. Yellow Toad also can briefly take a nap to regenerate his health, although it leaves him static and open to further attacks.
Speed: 1
HP: 3

MailToad:
The fastest of the group and a great throwing arm, MailToad can pluck, throw and sprint as he delivers pain to his opponents. The downside is MailToad only has a single hit point and will die if he's hit. His constant zipping about will also catch the eye of opponents such as Charging Chucks quicker than other Toads.
Speed: 5
HP: 1
Throw: 5

Toadsworth:
Toadsworth has had years of leading the Toad army, and as such knows how to shoot twice as many turnips out the turnip cannon than his younger allies. Toadsworth also has more years of experience than the others, allowing him to sometimes come across more valuable treasure than the others along the way.
Throw: 2
full marks for making an ability based on yellow toads sleeping

Laniv

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of Captain Toad 2, would you prefer to see Wingo as the main antagonist again, or would you rather see someone else, new villain or otherwise?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Some Toad news in Mario Kart Tour:

Mario Kart Tour has just started it's Toad vs. Toadette Tour.

Simply pick your team of choice and you'll be rewarded with either a completely free Toad or free Toadette.

In the pipe spotlight this week: Captain Toad and Explorer Toadette alongside some Treasure Tracker themed vehicle parts such as a minecart inspired kart and a treasure map glider. Pipe spotlights cost rubies to empty, but rubies can be gained for free via in game activities, and two free pulls are also given at each spotlight pipe.

Next week's spotlights are the Mario Maker themed Toad and Toadette alongside some construction themed vehicle parts such as a bulldozer inspired kart.

Make it into your rankings top 3 this week and you'll be rewarded with the brand new Yellow Pit Stop Toad. This is the first new Super driver in an insanely long time.

This week's Tier Shop also includes an additional Toad for purchasing which is guaranteed to stay there for a week before disappearing.

--------------

In other news Dr. Mario World is officially dead, so we wave goodbye to Dr. Toad.

Dr-Toad.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some Toad news in Mario Kart Tour:

Mario Kart Tour has just started it's Toad vs. Toadette Tour.

Simply pick your team of choice and you'll be rewarded with either a completely free Toad or free Toadette.

In the pipe spotlight this week: Captain Toad and Explorer Toadette alongside some Treasure Tracker themed vehicle parts such as a minecart inspired kart and a treasure map glider. Pipe spotlights cost rubies to empty, but rubies can be gained for free via in game activities, and two free pulls are also given at each spotlight pipe.

Next week's spotlights are the Mario Maker themed Toad and Toadette alongside some construction themed vehicle parts such as a bulldozer inspired kart.

Make it into your rankings top 3 this week and you'll be rewarded with the brand new Yellow Pit Stop Toad. This is the first new Super driver in an insanely long time.

This week's Tier Shop also includes an additional Toad for purchasing which is guaranteed to stay there for a week before disappearing.

--------------

In other news Dr. Mario World is officially dead, so we wave goodbye to Dr. Toad.

View attachment 336578
how dare they turn toad and toadette against each other

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok got another "game" for us: if you could make a toad/toadaette/cap spin off game, what would you make? and i mean any kind of game

Laniv

Smash Lord
ok got another "game" for us: if you could make a toad/toadaette/cap spin off game, what would you make? and i mean any kind of game
Well, besides the somewhat obvious Captain Toad in a BOTW-like, I feel like Toadette could carry a match-3 puzzle game pretty well

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Multiple Toad platform fighter style game mixed with a beat 'em up where the object is to go through Mario stages defeating as many of Bowser's army as possible.

The more enemies you fail to defeat, the more Mario has inbetween him and the goal. Essentially you're sweeping the area before him and thinning the horde allowing Mario to play clean up. Let too many enemies through and Mario quickly gets overwhelmed (think Mario Maker style scenarios of endless enemies)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Multiple Toad platform fighter style game mixed with a beat 'em up where the object is to go through Mario stages defeating as many of Bowser's army as possible.

The more enemies you fail to defeat, the more Mario has inbetween him and the goal. Essentially you're sweeping the area before him and thinning the horde allowing Mario to play clean up. Let too many enemies through and Mario quickly gets overwhelmed (think Mario Maker style scenarios of endless enemies)
So toads of rage?

Laniv

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of a Captain Toad, follow-up, I think Nabbit would be a suitable rival for the good captain.

I'm thinking like, a level where Captain Toad hears of a new treasure and sets out to find it. But when he gets there, he finds that Nabbit has already made it there, and has the same ideas as he does. The level becomes a race to the finish both characters speed along to get to the treasure first, all while obstacles and enemies hinder them both.

What do you think?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of a Captain Toad, follow-up, I think Nabbit would be a suitable rival for the good captain.

I'm thinking like, a level where Captain Toad hears of a new treasure and sets out to find it. But when he gets there, he finds that Nabbit has already made it there, and has the same ideas as he does. The level becomes a race to the finish both characters speed along to get to the treasure first, all while obstacles and enemies hinder them both.

What do you think?
I've always liked the idea. It's a pretty natural rivalry, a treasure hunter and a thief. I drew this a few years back whilst thinking about Captain Toad sequels:

Captain Toad and Nabbit.png

The idea was that whilst Nabbit is faster than the Captain, Captain Toad can activate environmental switches, wheels and the like to prevent Nabbit from progressing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What do you think?
no. rivals are always a terrible idea

Laniv

Smash Lord
Howdy all, that direct sure was wild

glad to see mario strikers alive

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats quite a selection of old tracks coming to mario kart. itll be nice to have some tour tracks in a non watered down game

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yooooo Toad is playable in Mario Strikers.

And not just a generic Toad, like ACTUAL Toad. That you can have Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad on the same team is pretty sweet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
soooo any favourite toad tracks you guys are hoping to see return to mario kart 8 deluxe?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I saw Mario Kart Tour's Toad circuit in the initial tracks. Whilst simple is genuinely a pretty fun one. I was hoping it'd return.

Would love to see the return of Toad's Factory too.

Laniv

Smash Lord
I know Smash Bros is over for the time being, but I've been thinking about something.

I had an odd dream where Toad got in with a composite moveset, taking aspects from both regular Toad and Captain Toad. Like, he'd have a pickaxe in one attack and a ? Block in another.

Would that be acceptable for Toad fans?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know Smash Bros is over for the time being, but I've been thinking about something.

I had an odd dream where Toad got in with a composite moveset, taking aspects from both regular Toad and Captain Toad. Like, he'd have a pickaxe in one attack and a ? Block in another.

Would that be acceptable for Toad fans?
yes very acceptable

although i seem to recall theres one stickler for canon who wont like the idea

Laniv

Smash Lord
In tangentially Toad-related news, it looks like Mario Strikers Battle League is sadly gonna be one of those "get it out now, finish it later" type of Mario sports games

Laniv

Smash Lord
So between the 3DS and Switch versions of Treasure Tracker, which is the better value? Asking for a friend.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So between the 3DS and Switch versions of Treasure Tracker, which is the better value? Asking for a friend.
Overall Switch has the biggest bang for your buck as it'll have the co-op option, the Nintendo LABO levels(don't buy a LABO for this exclusively however) and also has the (very cheap) DLC of the Special Episode if you want more.

The only real drawback for the Switch version is it lacks the on screen actions from the Wii U that I believe the 3DS recreates; for example drawing a circle on screen to rotate a valve.

The Wii U version for what it's worth is probably worth the price if this option is available to you due to it's 3D World levels and touch screen mechanics in tow, although the 3D World levels haven't been designed around Captain Toad's gameplay as well as the Odyssey ones in Switch and 3DS.

I'd probably rate them as follows:
  1. Switch: Has more unique content than the other two versions overall, has true co-op, is portable.
  2. Wii U: Unique bonus levels to the other two, has the touch screen and interactivity options.
  3. 3DS: Is portable, has touch screen options. Lacks any unique content that isn't included in the Switch version.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
switch

Overall Switch has the biggest bang for your buck as it'll have the co-op option, the Nintendo LABO levels(don't buy a LABO for this exclusively however) and also has the (very cheap) DLC of the Special Episode if you want more.

The only real drawback for the Switch version is it lacks the on screen actions from the Wii U that I believe the 3DS recreates; for example drawing a circle on screen to rotate a valve.

The Wii U version for what it's worth is probably worth the price if this option is available to you due to it's 3D World levels and touch screen mechanics in tow, although the 3D World levels haven't been designed around Captain Toad's gameplay as well as the Odyssey ones in Switch and 3DS.

1. Switch: Has more unique content than the other two versions overall, has true co-op, is portable.
  2. Wii U: Unique bonus levels to the other two, has the touch screen and interactivity options.
  3. 3DS: Is portable, has touch screen options. Lacks any unique content that isn't included in the Switch version.
you can use the touch screen controls in hand held mode

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord

you can use the touch screen controls in hand held mode
Thanks fellas, now I know which one I'm getting

Top Bottom