• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, I suppose PP was probably a ploy to get people to buy the game right away.

Edit: I think it's kinda predictable who the DLC characters are gonna be cause in the story mode there's a tournament at the beginning and it has a bunch of non-playable characters in the rankings who seem like likely DLC candidates.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it's kinda predictable who the DLC characters are gonna be cause in the story mode there's a tournament at the beginning and it has a bunch of non-playable characters in the rankings who seem like likely DLC candidates.
what are you talking about?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Edit: I think it's kinda predictable who the DLC characters are gonna be cause in the story mode there's a tournament at the beginning and it has a bunch of non-playable characters in the rankings who seem like likely DLC candidates.
Can you elaborate on this? Confused by what you mean here.

Laniv

Smash Lord
what are you talking about?
Can you elaborate on this? Confused by what you mean here.

I think they're referring to the characters listed during the Bonny Greens tournament in the story mode:

1628480422606.png

These aren't all the characters listed, but some others include Magikoopa, Fly Guy, Rocky Wrench, Nabbit, Wiggler, and Ninji.

I think what they're implying is that those characters could be DLC in the future.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think they're referring to the characters listed during the Bonny Greens tournament in the story mode:

View attachment 325726

These aren't all the characters listed, but some others include Magikoopa, Fly Guy, Rocky Wrench, Nabbit, Wiggler, and Ninji.

I think what they're implying is that those characters could be DLC in the future.
them starting off talking about PP in smash is what threw me

Laniv

Smash Lord
What would be a good idea for a Captain Toad reveal trailer? Here's what I have as an idea:

The camera fades in on a bright blue sky. A single black feather drifts into view, and the camera follows it down to the ground as it lands on a grassy field. The feather is then promptly blown away by a familiar green pointed shoe hurrying along.

Wario, in his traditional cap and overalls, is hot on the trail of his biggest score yet. As he runs along, he rudely shoves aside a Shy Guy as he turns a corner, and takes out a diving Flaptor without even taking his eyes off his treasure map. Speaking of which, the camera cuts to Wario's point of view, showing the map leading to a treasure chest spilling with riches. And what luck, for the map is pulled down to reveal the exact same treasure chest in front of him!

"Yahoo!" cries an elated Wario, as he puts away the map and makes a beeline for the chest. He pulls open its lid, its contents glowing. There's a close-up on Wario's face, practically drooling with anticipation.

It's a huge (and I do mean huge) diamond, with two innocent eyes.

Wario wastes no time in plucking the diamond out of the chest and holding it up to the light to examine it. As he laughs heartily over his victory, a beak plucks it out of his hand, its owner just off screen.

It takes Wario a couple moments to realize the theft, and when he does, he's furious. The camera pans up to reveal a giant black bird wearing a Power Star necklace, the gem in its clutches. It gives Wario a knowing look before flying off.

But Wario is having none of it, no sir! He leaps after the bird and clings onto its neck, intending to give it what for. The bird shrieks in surprise and drops the gem, prompting Wario to leap down after it.

He... doesn't exactly stick the landing, falling with his face in the dirt. The gem bounces off and rolls away, stopping at someone's red shoes. The figure picks up the diamond just as Wario gets back on his feet. He sees the stranger with his treasure and shouts in anger, challenging them to a fight. In response, the newcomer puts away the diamond and adjusts their headlamp, just as the camera pans to reveal...

Captain Toad is Ready For Adventure!!

"Fight time!" he declares, brandishing a pickaxe and transitioning into gameplay footage.

During this gameplay footage, Toadette is shown off as an alt, with a tagline I can't think of yet.

The trailer ends with Captain Toad and Toadette sharing a high five. As they do so, the bird from before flies away with another treasure chest in its talons. The Toads yelp in surprise, before heading off after it. And the adventure continues...!

What do you think?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What would be a good idea for a Captain Toad reveal trailer? Here's what I have as an idea:

The camera fades in on a bright blue sky. A single black feather drifts into view, and the camera follows it down to the ground as it lands on a grassy field. The feather is then promptly blown away by a familiar green pointed shoe hurrying along.

Wario, in his traditional cap and overalls, is hot on the trail of his biggest score yet. As he runs along, he rudely shoves aside a Shy Guy as he turns a corner, and takes out a diving Flaptor without even taking his eyes off his treasure map. Speaking of which, the camera cuts to Wario's point of view, showing the map leading to a treasure chest spilling with riches. And what luck, for the map is pulled down to reveal the exact same treasure chest in front of him!

"Yahoo!" cries an elated Wario, as he puts away the map and makes a beeline for the chest. He pulls open its lid, its contents glowing. There's a close-up on Wario's face, practically drooling with anticipation.

It's a huge (and I do mean huge) diamond, with two innocent eyes.

Wario wastes no time in plucking the diamond out of the chest and holding it up to the light to examine it. As he laughs heartily over his victory, a beak plucks it out of his hand, its owner just off screen.

It takes Wario a couple moments to realize the theft, and when he does, he's furious. The camera pans up to reveal a giant black bird wearing a Power Star necklace, the gem in its clutches. It gives Wario a knowing look before flying off.

But Wario is having none of it, no sir! He leaps after the bird and clings onto its neck, intending to give it what for. The bird shrieks in surprise and drops the gem, prompting Wario to leap down after it.

He... doesn't exactly stick the landing, falling with his face in the dirt. The gem bounces off and rolls away, stopping at someone's red shoes. The figure picks up the diamond just as Wario gets back on his feet. He sees the stranger with his treasure and shouts in anger, challenging them to a fight. In response, the newcomer puts away the diamond and adjusts their headlamp, just as the camera pans to reveal...

Captain Toad is Ready For Adventure!!

"Fight time!" he declares, brandishing a pickaxe and transitioning into gameplay footage.

During this gameplay footage, Toadette is shown off as an alt, with a tagline I can't think of yet.

The trailer ends with Captain Toad and Toadette sharing a high five. As they do so, the bird from before flies away with another treasure chest in its talons. The Toads yelp in surprise, before heading off after it. And the adventure continues...!

What do you think?
i like. id always pictured them fighting with wario over treasure though in my head olimar is also there

Dan

Smash Lord
I'd be surprised if we even get a Mario game revealed tomorrow. I think at most we'll be lucky to get one substantive game reveal, and then the rest will just be Smash, highlighting games we already know about, Nindie BS, etc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd be surprised if we even get a Mario game revealed tomorrow. I think at most we'll be lucky to get one substantive game reveal, and then the rest will just be Smash, highlighting games we already know about, Nindie BS, etc.
not a fan of the indies i take it?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
To be honest the only Toad related thing I can see happening today is either Super Mario Party Superstars or Mario Golf: Super Rush.

But I'm very happy to be wrong.
and we already know his status in both of them

I’m not optimistic either but there was a time we never expected captain toad dlc

Laniv

Smash Lord
I want to be optimistic about this, I really do. But the way things are going... yeesh.

I'll wait till I see a trailer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i hope miyamoto's ok. it feels like nobody's told him that nintendo isnt in trouble any more and he doesnt need to listen to these soulless holywood types. nothing worse than a film based on stunt casting full of people who are wrong for the part. chris prat is fine but he only ever seems to play different versions of the same character who just isnt mario. jack black is another person who seems to always play the smae character of varying degrees though i have seen him actually act in certain things its still not enough to convince me he can play bowser. and keegan michael keye? what? ive seem him do plenty of amusing things but nothing ever remotely toad things and what few kids things ive got glimpses of him in it was either so cringingly bad or i forgot he was in it. it feels like the vast majority of jokes are gonna be the odd voices these characters have. which is exactly the type of humour id expect from illumanation who's only two good movies are now being tainted by them milking it for everything its got, a problem often seen with dream works. like sonic and detective pikachu before it this does not feel like a movie for the fans, what with sonic ignoring most of sonic's stuff and only 3 people having played detective pikachu. but all this is is sticking big names in a movie regardless of whether they are right for the part in order to sucker people into going and seeing it like when ryan reynolds was cast as green lantern or when ryan reynolds was cast as detective pikachu. and honestly the stunt casting feels redundant in a film based on the biggest video game franchise in the world people are gonna go see it regardless of who's in it, you could have the voice actors from the video games and still made a ton of money. but know illumination was banking of celeb power so once again we're gonna have another terrible movie where more than half the budget was spent on convincing the cast to appear in it.

so i implore you mario fans boycott this non sense. dont go to see it because you know its gonna be bad or so you can complain about it from a postion of knowledge thats still giving it your support and may encourage them to make another. this film wasnt made for the fans so the fans should not go and see it. i have no faith in illumination as movie makers, probably cause i grew up with the disney renaissance and hold animated movies to actual standards but i see no reason to expect this to be anything than bad.

Reactions: Dan

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
last night I had a dream Toad got added onto the roster as a full on stance-swapping character utilizing many different mario powerups; he even had the more obscure ones like the double cherry, gold flower, and cloud flower from galaxy lmao.

all the different forms changed his stats and his down b was a mini shroom counter that made him shrink…also his recovery was the propeller shroom and his final smash was the mega shroom. Lol and for some reason his grab was a boomerang

Idek if that’s how they would implement Toad into the game, but I definitely support him now

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
last night I had a dream Toad got added onto the roster as a full on stance-swapping character utilizing many different mario powerups; he even had the more obscure ones like the double cherry, gold flower, and cloud flower from galaxy lmao.

all the different forms changed his stats and his down b was a mini shroom counter that made him shrink…also his recovery was the propeller shroom and his final smash was the mega shroom. Lol and for some reason his grab was a boomerang

Idek if that’s how they would implement Toad into the game, but I definitely support him now
want on the list?

Dan

Smash Lord

I also once had a dream Toad was DLC... along with Harry Potter and Xatu.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the final DLC character is fast approaching.

I don't think it'll be Captain Toad but it makes sense on some level. Sakurai and his team have been on an unorthodox character binge with the DLC and what's more unorthodox than a platform fighter character who can't jupm?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well the final DLC character is fast approaching.

I don't think it'll be Captain Toad but it makes sense on some level. Sakurai and his team have been on an unorthodox character binge with the DLC and what's more unorthodox than a platform fighter character who can't jupm?
i can see how steves unorthodox but im not about the other four. i think our best shot is if nintendo suggested captain toad to him and sakurai didnt immediately laugh at the idea

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
i can see how steves unorthodox but im not about the other four. i think our best shot is if nintendo suggested captain toad to him and sakurai didnt immediately laugh at the idea
Well Min Min's got an entirely different game's combat system by either having only two special moves or having special moves for standard attacks depending on how you look at it, Steve is obvious, Sephiroth has a number of unconventional mechanics including having a forward air that sticks to walls, a counter that doesn't need to be hit, and gaining an extra jump as a comeback mechanic, Pyra and Mythra bring back the transformation mechanic form Zelda and Sheik and Kazuya goes even more extra on the fighting game mechanics having a full Tekken list of moves to use.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Min Min's got an entirely different game's combat system by either having only two special moves or having special moves for standard attacks depending on how you look at it, Steve is obvious, Sephiroth has a number of unconventional mechanics including having a forward air that sticks to walls, a counter that doesn't need to be hit, and gaining an extra jump as a comeback mechanic, Pyra and Mythra bring back the transformation mechanic form Zelda and Sheik and Kazuya goes even more extra on the fighting game mechanics having a full Tekken list of moves to use.
oh you meant gimmicks. sorry i thought you meant unorthodox like villager

Top Bottom