• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I’m honestly grateful that we even have the five unique characters. It’s better than simply getting Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad with zero gameplay differences.

Also I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge Daisy fan, but her double jump in Super Mario Run is pretty neat.
Same regarding the unique cast.

It's incredibly unlikely but I wouldn't be opposed to more games with multiple characters with different stats...heck, I'm not opposed to just having the SMB2 gang be the only reoccurring options for the gang with an occasional bonus character like Rosalina thrown in now and then.

One thing I really appreciate with 3D World and SMB2 is that there is a character who inevitably will suit your playstyle best, and that Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach really do fill nearly every niche between them with Rosalina acting as another 'easy mode' character similar to Toadette or Nabbit in the New Super Mario Bros. series.

Not sure if Daisy was needed myself. Rosalina's spin attack in the air essentially makes her do a second jump so Daisy would definitely have a bit of ability overlap there.

Not sure why Daisy fans were so convinced she'd be in 3D World + Bowser's Fury.
I can understand it. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Daisy, but it's pretty easy to see how they arrived at the connection even outside Toadette and Funky being added as new playable characters in ports.

I blame the little cats in Bowser's Fury lining up with the basic colours(if not shades of colour) from the 3D World playable cast with a green cat for Luigi, blue for Toad, pink for Peach and black for Rosalina(given her cat suit).
With the Calico cat appearing in promotional material next to them it's easy to think since those cats seem to line up with the playable cast maybe the calico does too.

From there it was simple a case of Sarasa(as in Daisy's kingdom) being the Japanese name for calico, calico cats being known for being only female, this cat seemingly having no playable equivalent and the colour orange being so prevelant...
...and thus Bish bash bosh, whoops we've added 2 + 2 together and accidentally made a tremendous 404 error.

The moment you see the calico cat doesn't actually hang out with the other cats though it's a bit of a give away that sometimes cats just be cats in 3D World.

no daisy talk in the toad thread
It's relevant to the recent Toad game though.

Talking of the game:

MyNintendo in Europe just added these lenticular magnets to their rewards system.
They're available in America still too and cost 350 platinum points to purchase (plus shipping).

For those not in the know platinum points are earnt via doing things like logging in to the eshop on Wii U/3DS(although not Switch so I'm expecting this to be phased out eventually), visiting the MyNintendo website or doing weekly and daily challenges in certain mobile games like Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp and Fire Emblem Heroes. Not Mario Kart Tour or Dr. Mario World though strangely enough.

I've ordered a few things from them in the past. I'll post a picture of what they're like when they arrive.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I totally understand wanting a character, I really do, but the Daisy speculation was a long series of people grasping at straws, in hopes of finding hints for something that was never promised to begin with.
And in the end, the Daisy fans got what they wanted... but the Daisy detractors were also right that Daisy would just be a clone of Peach. Let's just hope they de-clone (de-echo?) Daisy in the next game.

What if the Toad detractors are right too? What if Toad finally gets in Smash but he is a clone of Mario and Luigi and Peach?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
And in the end, the Daisy fans got what they wanted... but the Daisy detractors were also right that Daisy would just be a clone of Peach. Let's just hope they de-clone (de-echo?) Daisy in the next game.

What if the Toad detractors are right too? What if Toad finally gets in Smash but he is a clone of Mario and Luigi and Peach?
pretty sure they're talking about Daisy being in Bowser's Fury

and I don't see anyone saying Toad would be a Mario clone

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’ve seen that idea before. Just give Toad Mario’s normals, the fireball, the super jump punch, the cape and Peach’s turnips. Honestly, there are worst clone ideas out there. I definitely don’t like it though. One of the main appeals to Toad (for me at least) is seeing more unique power ups incorporated in his moveset. The propeller hat, boomerang, cherry, raccoon tail, cat suit, iceball, etc. Toad without a propeller hat up special sounds like blasphemy. Then again, Daisy without a sports themed moveset also sounded like blasphemy to a lot of people.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I’ve seen that idea before. Just give Toad Mario’s normals, the fireball, the super jump punch, the cape and Peach’s turnips. Honestly, there are worst clone ideas out there. I definitely don’t like it though. One of the main appeals to Toad (for me at least) is seeing more unique power ups incorporated in his moveset. The propeller hat, boomerang, cherry, raccoon tail, cat suit, iceball, etc. Toad without a propeller hat up special sounds like blasphemy. Then again, Daisy without a sports themed moveset also sounded like blasphemy to a lot of people.
hey it's a better idea then that one moveset I saw that just gave Toad all of Goku's abilities

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

or remove her from the game all together

warelander

Smash Journeyman

I was talking about 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

And I don't mean to talk down on anyone that hoped she'd be in the game, it's easier to see something as a hint when that's the case. I myself am indifferent at most to Daisy and in the worst case, annoyed, mostly because some of her fanbase can be weird.

I'm also just a bit careful about hoping for too much. I always hope for Toad to get something more then a NPC role and by all means, he's always gonna be a major Mario character, so there are plenty chances, I just don't bank too much on any specific game to be a big deal for him.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sadly they don't seem interested in fixing up any Echo. Though I can imagine slight changes at best. The regular clones have slowly become semi-clones in some cases(Pichu and Dr. Mario are still pretty regular clones in comparison).

Anyway, funny thing is, Toad was an actual shotoclone in Kart Fighter, a bootleg fighting game(based upon Super Mario Kart's roster). Though to be fair, it literally was using the Street Fighter game/engine as its inspiration, so. That said, it's awkward but did have Luigi have a missile-like move, which coincidentally he has one in Smash now. Funny that.

Here's hoping, when Toad gets in, they have a very unique moveset created for him. There's tons of stuff he can bring to the table, regardless if the move was something he first used or not. Many Mario characters have done this(with the exception of Daisy and Dr. Mario, though the Doc did bring a new projectile and new music, but that's not exactly that notable either way).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's hoping, when Toad gets in, they have a very unique moveset created for him. There's tons of stuff he can bring to the table, regardless if the move was something he first used or not. Many Mario characters have done this(with the exception of Daisy and Dr. Mario, though the Doc did bring a new projectile and new music, but that's not exactly that notable either way).
i think were all hoping that, would be a bit of a waste if he was just a short mario but id take what we can get

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if there is a special move that lets Toad become Captain Toad and vice versa?

This way, we can have both Toad with classic SMB2 moveset and Captain Toad with modern Treasure Tracker moveset?

How?

The SMB2 Mushroom from Super Mario Maker 2 and the Super Pickax from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

When Toad uses the special move, he pulls out the Super Pickax and becomes Captain Toad.

When Captain Toad uses the special move, he pulls out the SMB2 Mushroom and becomes Toad.

What special move could it be? Down+B? But I want Toad to pull out vegetables... maybe Shield+B?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What if there is a special move that lets Toad become Captain Toad and vice versa?

This way, we can have both Toad with classic SMB2 moveset and Captain Toad with modern Treasure Tracker moveset?

How?

The SMB2 Mushroom from Super Mario Maker 2 and the Super Pickax from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

When Toad uses the special move, he pulls out the Super Pickax and becomes Captain Toad.

When Captain Toad uses the special move, he pulls out the SMB2 Mushroom and becomes Toad.

What special move could it be? Down+B? But I want Toad to pull out vegetables... maybe Shield+B?
and in toadette for a 3 in 1 and weve got the best character ever

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

How?

Kind of reminds me of an aspect of the Rivals of Aether moveset Munomario777 posted on page 71 with Captain Toad and Toadette swapping freely with a mystery box.

This is a really interesting idea to me because this genuinely makes for an interesting gameplay style.

Toad (SMB2/Wario's Woods) is super speedy fast, lightweight character, whilst with the change Captain Toad can become a slower, heavier but more damage dealing character.

That makes for a really unique stance fighter and solves the issue between the two being so vastly different in gameplay styles...and as fogbadge states, since Toadette ALSO has a Brigade form, this works well for her as an alt too.

Very cool!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Da-da-da-da! Toad News Time!

Super Nintendo World

Super Nintendo World opened officially today. Toad, Mario, Luigi and Peach were joined by Miyamoto for the opening ceremony with a chorus of dancers and a confetti shower.

With this official opening the theme park is open for business in a limited capacity.

Photo-2021-03-18-7-33-52-e1616039869212.jpg

Incindentally Smash Ultimate is now compatible with Super Nintendo World's Toad Power up Band, with it giving a 'reward' to players upon scanning. No info on what the reward actually is, but it's speculated to be a Toad spirit for the time being. See, this is why we should have had Toad as a fighter, Sakurai. Gosh.

Lastly, with this, Toad's Cafe is open for business! If you're curious what food you can obtain, here's a handy dandy link to showcase both costings and what Toad(and Yoshi weirdly enough) can cook up for you: Super Nintendo World Food and Drink Guide

March 31st looms...
A reminder that after March 31st, Super Mario 3D All Stars will be removed from the eshop, so get the game whilst you can. I've heard reports that the physical releases have now stopped being produced.
Nintendo have re-released a statement about still being able to redownload the game from the eshop after March 31st providing you purchased it prior.

Mario Maker is also shutting down it's servers on this date so if you want to boot up the Wii U and download any levels you want to play NOW is the time to do so.

Lastly we'll also be saying goodbye to the Super Mario 35 as well. If you wanted to play this game do it now because it will soon be erased for good.

My Nintendo 3D World Magnets:
As I promised, my 3D World lenticular magnets arrived from My Nintendo and so I'm showing them off. Using a Toad amiibo for size comparison:

Magnets.png

Five in a pack. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad have both their default looks, and when moved to the side you get their cat suit forms, and one of the 3D World box art that turns into Bowser's Fury's box art. They're pretty neat. Will post the full set if anyone is curious, but otherwise enjoy.

That's all for now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Da-da-da-da! Toad News Time!

Super Nintendo World

Super Nintendo World opened officially today. Toad, Mario, Luigi and Peach were joined by Miyamoto for the opening ceremony with a chorus of dancers and a confetti shower.

With this official opening the theme park is open for business in a limited capacity.

View attachment 307710

Incindentally Smash Ultimate is now compatible with Super Nintendo World's Toad Power up Band, with it giving a 'reward' to players upon scanning. No info on what the reward actually is, but it's speculated to be a Toad spirit for the time being. See, this is why we should have had Toad as a fighter, Sakurai. Gosh.

Lastly, with this, Toad's Cafe is open for business! If you're curious what food you can obtain, here's a handy dandy link to showcase both costings and what Toad(and Yoshi weirdly enough) can cook up for you: Super Nintendo World Food and Drink Guide

March 31st looms...
A reminder that after March 31st, Super Mario 3D All Stars will be removed from the eshop, so get the game whilst you can. I've heard reports that the physical releases have now stopped being produced.
Nintendo have re-released a statement about still being able to redownload the game from the eshop after March 31st providing you purchased it prior.

Mario Maker is also shutting down it's servers on this date so if you want to boot up the Wii U and download any levels you want to play NOW is the time to do so.

Lastly we'll also be saying goodbye to the Super Mario 35 as well. If you wanted to play this game do it now because it will soon be erased for good.

My Nintendo 3D World Magnets:
As I promised, my 3D World lenticular magnets arrived from My Nintendo and so I'm showing them off. Using a Toad amiibo for size comparison:

View attachment 307712
Five in a pack. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad have both their default looks, and when moved to the side you get their cat suit forms, and one of the 3D World box art that turns into Bowser's Fury's box art. They're pretty neat. Will post the full set if anyone is curious, but otherwise enjoy.

That's all for now.
Don’t get cooked, stay off the hook

Dan

Smash Lord
Is Toad a meetable character at Super Nintendo World? I haven't really seen anyone take pics with him.

This is the wrong thread to say this, but they should've made Yoshi a character instead of Toad. It appears Toad has that weird Universal SpongeBob arm mech that only allows his arms to move like a robot. My assumption is the person in the costume's head is touching the very top so their arms can't be that low so there's some type of mech in there.

Also, it's pure and utter garbage they have to remove Mario 35. At least the Bomberman Battle Royale is coming to Switch this year.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
This is the wrong thread to say this, but they should've made Yoshi a character instead of Toad. It appears Toad has that weird Universal SpongeBob arm mech that only allows his arms to move like a robot. My assumption is the person in the costume's head is touching the very top so their arms can't be that low so there's some type of mech in there.
I don't think he looks that bad.
Also, it's pure and utter garbage they have to remove Mario 35. At least the Bomberman Battle Royale is coming to Switch this year.
wait what?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is Toad a meetable character at Super Nintendo World? I haven't really seen anyone take pics with him.
So far the four meetable characters are Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad as it appears Miyamoto views them as the core four heroes.

I posted a few pics of him back in January, and I've seen a few videos of him in action.

It's possible Yoshi isn't a meetable character yet purely because he's an animatronic on the mountainside or a ride, but I wouldn't be surprised if he and Daisy get added to the meetable mascots since the power bands have them as options too.

I believe you're right with the puppetry mechanics for the arms, I figured he might just have a shorter actor for a while but now I see him standing next to the brothers I'm throwing that idea out.

He's considerably smaller, so it has to have some sort of puppetry.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
anyone play the game and watch gallery games? you know the games where they remade them with mario characters? i only played number 2 but i read number 3 had one with toad playable

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
anyone play the game and watch gallery games? you know the games where they remade them with mario characters? i only played number 2 but i read number 3 had one with toad playable
Ah yeah, Toad is the star of 'Turtle Bridge' in which Mario gives Toad items to deliver to Princess Peach.

Weirdly despite the game being called 'Turtle Bridge' Toad is actually travelling atop a bunch of Goonies, the birds from Yoshi's Island:

G&WG3_Toad_and_Goonie.png

It was pretty fun. Game and Watch Gallery 4 was always my favourite though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah yeah, Toad is the star of 'Turtle Bridge' in which Mario gives Toad items to deliver to Princess Peach.

Weirdly despite the game being called 'Turtle Bridge' Toad is actually travelling atop a bunch of Goonies, the birds from Yoshi's Island:

View attachment 309100

It was pretty fun. Game and Watch Gallery 4 was always my favourite though.
in the original game and watch it was turtles as seen in mr g&w's back air

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Game Over.jpg
\

Well, it's 'Mario Death Day' as the internet has dubbed it.

A reminder that today is your last chance to:
  • Purchase Super Mario 3D All Stars from the eShop -Physical copies of 3D All Stars will likely stick around but be warned that the price will likely skyrocket as scalpers try to make a profit! If you've bought a copy digitally, or have a code for the game it will still work after 'Mario Death Day' though.
  • Play Mario 35 - the servers go offline from tomorrow.
  • Download Mario Maker levels on the Wii U - Again, the servers are shutting down.
  • Obtain the Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch - Production is discontinued from tomorrow.
  • Unrelated to Mario, but Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light ALSO disappears from the eShop today, showing that sharing the same first letters of your name is enough to count as being pulled. RIP Marth.
Animal Crossing New Horizon's Mario items are apparently NOT disappearing like all the above, so you should still be able to get them according to their Twitter. Mario Maker 2's levels are also remaining for downloading, this is literally the Wii U game.

-------------------------------------------

As it's the end of the 35th anniversary celebrations, I thought it'd be nice to reflect on the Mario related titles we played in the past year and talk about our favourite and least favourite experiences. Note, this doesn't have to be exclusively titles that were released in this past year, but titles YOU played in the past year.

I kicked the year of Mario off by not playing Mario, but rather his brother in Luigi's Mansion 3 during the initial lockdown in April.
A short, but absolutely fantastic and charming puzzle game which you all need to play if you haven't yet. Easily the best in the Luigi's Mansion series in my eyes, the cast are the most animated they've ever been and Gooigi works surprisingly well rather than feeling like another tacked on gimmick. You do need to unlock him first though which me and my player 2 found out after I booted the game up. Oops. Can't recommend this one enough.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Switch. No surprise to anyone, this is one of my favourite titles, but I FINALLY beat the goddamn Mummy Maze Forever level in early April too with a buddy. Yes, we cheesed it a bit by using two players(it was still hard thanks to joycon drift), but with that I've officially 100%'d the game and...am now desperately hungry for Captain Toad 2.

Mario Maker 2
I got back into in early May. Created a few levels for fun...and to torture my friends with. Tried building a level in two player and my other friend(The Treasure Tracker 2 co-op partner) is far far far faaaar more sadistic than I am to the point I think he actively did an evil laugh on one level. Good stuff. We played it in four player and it was a riot....unfortunately I haven't touched it since as lockdown prevented us from meeting up again after that one time.

Yoshi's Crafted World I finished with my partner in May. As a Yoshi fan...this was disappointing. I loved the aesthetic, I loved some of the ideas but it's all ruined by being forced to go back through the same level three times to get everything. Perfect platformer for my partner though who by her own admission struggles with platformers thanks to the useful Mellow Mode.

I played my second playthrough of Super Mario Odyssey in June, after my partner enjoyed watching me play Luigi's Mansion 3. Game holds up incredibly well. I'm not brave enough to 100% it as a lot of people do seem to burn out, but it's still my second favourite 3D Mario title to date. This is the game that made me care about Mario himself as character because it's the first one where he feels so full of character.

I got back in to Mario Kart Tour in July when Captain Toad was announced and have been playing regularly ever since. Avoid if you have any kind of gambling addiction, but I do actually like a lot of the things this mobile title brought to Mario Kart such as the high score chasing Combo system and Frenzy system which is incredibly fun. Also brought back personalised items, which I've missed since Double Dash.

Super Mario 3D All Stars was announced in September and I immedietely purchased it, having never played Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy before:

Super Mario 64 has definitely aged and some of the design work doesn't hold up today BUT I still had a blast with this one, even if it's incredibly fiddly compared to modern Mario with Mario sliding at any sign of an incline and turning around like he's an 18 wheeler truck making some precision platforming a nightmare. Overall the only parts I really didn't enjoy were the Bowser fights, which...yeah they're not the best. I beat it though, and probably will return to collect all the stars at a later point so I can briefly hang with Yoshi.

Super Mario Sunshine is still ****ing awful in my opinion, and despite completing it once when I was a kid, I decided not to put myself through that again after I fell through a rotating platform twice and got punched into the poison lake by the scenario.
It's actually so much worse than I remembered with weird level difficulty design all over the place, losing the FLUDD and doing a tight platforming section one moment where you cannot screw up once without instant death and then simply butt stomp five turtles to get a shine the next.
It's a very pretty game, but this is also the first 3D Mario I ever played and it convinced me I hated 3D Mario. Me. A guy with two Mario characters in his username. **** Sunshine. It was rushed and it shows.

Super Mario Galaxy I was worried about. I'd heard it's praises sung so much I felt it couldn't possibly live up to the expectations set for it in my mind...surprisingly though due to that worry I ended up really enjoying my first time with Galaxy. The platforming was far more fair than Sunshine, the puzzles were enjoyable, Mario felt good to control and usually when I died I didn't feel like it was the games fault but mine, unlike Sunshine and 64 which was definitely some game glitching issues. Still not a big fan of the race sections but that's a very minor complaint that at worst puts Galaxy at Odyssey's level at least for me.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for the 3DS in November. I don't have an addiction, I promise.
Saw it for under £7 and figured I'd pick it up. The 3DS version is...incredibly faithful to the Wii U and Switch versions. Colour me impressed. It definitely has the least additional content of the three though so I'd be hard pressed to recommend it over either of the other two versions. I also only played Treasure Tracker again in March and April of 2020 so I was pretty burnt out on playing the same levels again and stopped after book 1.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
in February. Took a few months break from Mario (outside Tour) to focus on Age of Calamity, Resident Evil, No More Heroes and Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but now my favourite Mario title appears. Man, I've been waiting for this since the Switch was announced:

Super Mario 3D World didn't disappoint. The Switch version is full of little QoL upgrades that are going to make this a great multiplayer experience...when I can see my friends again. Yes, this is the only issue. Bloody lockdown has prevented me from enjoying this to the fullest. I've single playered it (as Toad, what a shock), but I'm holding off to do a proper playthrough in couch co-op with my buddies when I can.

(+) Bowser's Fury
is an odd mix for me. I really like everything about it...but Bowser's constant temper tantrums go from "HOLY HELL THIS IS SO COOL!" to me actively swearing at Bowser because he's interrupting my shines. If he was a little less frequent, I'd probably rank this amongst my favourite 3D Mario titles. Very interested to see what they develop from here with these ideas. I finished the main story yesterday whilst juggling several other titles.

Picked up Paper Mario: Origami King on sale mid March, and I'm currently alternating between 3D World + Bowser's Fury's endgames and this.
I love this. I haven't played a Paper Mario since Super Paper Mario on the Wii, but ya know what? I like this. The dialogue is genuinely amusing at times, the Toad hunting is one of my favourite collectable ideas ever and I don't even mind the puzzle ring...I just wish it wasn't for EVERY single battle as that does get a bit tedious. Overall though I'm regretting not nabbing Color Splash on the Wii U after enjoying my time here.

Overall ranking for me:
  1. Mario 3D World (with multiplayer)
  2. Mario Odyssey
  3. Captain Toad (Switch)
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3
  5. Mario Galaxy
  6. Bowser's Fury
  7. Mario 3D World (single player)
  8. Paper Mario: Origami King
  9. Super Mario Sunshine 64
  10. Captain Toad (3DS)
  11. Mario Kart Tour
  12. Yoshi's Crafted World
  13. Super Mario Run(unlisted but did play)
  14. Super Mario Sunshine
What about you all?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats is quite the right up there.

hmm im not sure which mario games i played this past year most of the ones i played i get right away. ill need to check what came out over the year

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Animal Crossing New Horizon's Mario items are apparently NOT disappearing like all the above, so you should still be able to get them according to their Twitter. Mario Maker 2's levels are also remaining for downloading, this is literally the Wii U game.
Thank goodness! I would be peeved if they were removed from the game. Now I need to get the Sanrio amiibo cards.

Unrelated to Mario, but Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light ALSO disappears from the eShop today, showing that sharing the same first letters of your name is enough to count as being pulled. RIP Marth.
Hmm... should I get it? Is it good?

anyone play the game and watch gallery games?
I played a bit on the 3DS Virtual Console. It was ok.

Nintendo should do a Game & Watch Museum and put all four Game & Watch Gallery games in one... maybe upgrade the graphics to be hand-drawn like the stamps in Super Mario 3D World.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hmm... should I get it? Is it good?
It's definitely aged, but if you're a Fire Emblem fan I'd recommend getting it just so you can have the game that started it all. Plus it's dirt cheap anyway so worst comes to worse you've lost like $5 or £6.

And yes, I was very pleased about the Animal Crossing items remaining (despite the lack of a Toad hat which is my one complaint)...I don't think the UK has even got the Sanrio cards yet despite Nintendo.co.uk advertising the update, they're not for sale anywhere.

thats is quite the right up there.

hmm im not sure which mario games i played this past year most of the ones i played i get right away. ill need to check what came out over the year
I'll help out, in the past year we got:
Paper Mario: The Origami King
Super Mario 3D All Stars
Super Mario 35
Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch
Mario Kart: Live Circuit

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And yes, I was very pleased about the Animal Crossing items remaining (despite the lack of a Toad hat which is my one complaint)...I don't think the UK has even got the Sanrio cards yet despite Nintendo.co.uk advertising the update, they're not for sale anywhere.
its like the early days of amiibo again

Super Mario 3D All Stars
Super Mario 35
that explains why i can only remember two i only played those ones

I played a bit on the 3DS Virtual Console. It was ok.

Nintendo should do a Game & Watch Museum and put all four Game & Watch Gallery games in one... maybe upgrade the graphics to be hand-drawn like the stamps in Super Mario 3D World.
that does sound good

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Mario Sunshine is a weird one for me... played it when it was new but haven't had a strong desire to play it since (really just break it out once in a blue moon, but not for a full playthrough). I feel like it's sorta trapped in 2002 for me. I can and have played Mario 64 til I'm blue in the face, but have to be in like a really specific mood for Sunshine.

Overall though I'm regretting not nabbing Color Splash on the Wii U
Never played it but it seems to be a popular opinion it's bad. Origami King on the other hand... I'll rank it after TTYD and 64 but before Super (Wii). I'm struggling to get over the halfway hump with it. The desert section is a *****. Game loses its charm about halfway through imo.

A lot of the opinions on your list are actually pretty controversial compared to the general consensus (nothing wrong with that), but I really enjoyed your post a lot regardless cause it was so great.

Super Mario 3D All Stars
Super Mario 35
Well here's my quick thoughts:

TOK - already gave my thoughts.

3D All-Stars: Lazy port job that didn't even meet the bare minimum; needed Galaxy 2 at least; could've overachieved with a Mario 64 re-haul a la Render 96.

35 - best thing on the list with Bowser's Fury. This is the one that hurts to see go, not All-Stars. Just won a match over the weekend in it.

Game & Watch - meh

Live Circuit: novelty that loses its charm after the first night. One of those things you try once and never again. You'll need two players if you want to enjoy it beyond day one.

3D World + Bowser's Fury: I still find 3D World to be soulless and boring (sorry to the fans lol)... Bowser's Fury is hopefully the future of Mario.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
3D All-Stars: Lazy port job that didn't even meet the bare minimum; needed Galaxy 2 at least; could've overachieved with a Mario 64 re-haul a la Render 96.
This. It is BS that they didn't even put Super Mario Galaxy 2 in this collection. Why would they do that for? Are they hoping to make it DLC or to remake it?

Live Circuit: novelty that loses its charm after the first night. One of those things you try once and never again. You'll need two players if you want to enjoy it beyond day one.
If I had kids, I would have gotten this for them.

Toad Hat was in New Leaf. I don't know why it didn't come back in New Horizons.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Glad to hear Luigi managed to revive Mario with the Dragonballs in today's news section. What a relief.

I can't believe CNN reported on 'Mario Death Day'. Good lord.

A lot of the opinions on your list are actually pretty controversial compared to the general consensus (nothing wrong with that), but I really enjoyed your post a lot regardless cause it was so great.
Well, I've never been one to follow the crowd.

Thank you though!

I actually haven't reached the desert section yet in Origami King just yet, as I'm only on Shogun Studios. I'd better prepare for that hump.

Tbh though your ranking of the Paper Mario games are pretty accurate to how I feel right now at this point of the four I've played. I'm definitely enjoying this a lot more than Super Paper Mario.

Toad Hat was in New Leaf. I don't know why it didn't come back in New Horizons.
This was what I was banking on! I got myself a cute little explorer outfit and backpack ready to go too, gosh darn it Nintendo. I think it was in Pocket Camp too, so I was feeling pretty good about it's chances.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This was what I was banking on! I got myself a cute little explorer outfit and backpack ready to go too, gosh darn it Nintendo. I think it was in Pocket Camp too, so I was feeling pretty good about it's chances.
Yes, the Toad Hat is in Pocket Camp. While we are on the subject... these are the Mario items from Pocket Camp. Some of them are or are not in New Horizons.

1617282402855.png

1. Block ✅
  2. Coin ✅
  3. Green Shell ✅
  4. Block Rug ❌
  5. Super Mushroom ✅
  6. Super Star ✅
  7. 1-Up Mushroom ✅
  8. Fire Flower ✅
  9. ? Block ✅
  10. Floating Block ✅
  11. Fire Bar ❌
  12. Goal Pole ✅
  13. Piranha Plant Pipe ❌ New Horizons has the Warp Pipe... no Piranha Plant in it.
  14. Sideways Pipe ❌
  15. Mario tee ❌
  16. Mario hat ✅
  17. Mario 'stache ✅
  18. Luigi tee ❌
  19. Luigi hat ✅
  20. Wario 'stache ✅
  21. Wario hat ✅
  22. Princess Peach dress ✅
  23. Princess Peach crown ✅

1617283111716.png

1. 8-Bit Fortress ❌
  2. 8-Bit Goal Pole ❌
  3. Cheep Chomp Balloon ❌
  4. Cheep Cheep Balloon ❌
  5. Eep Cheep Balloon ❌
  6. Blooper Balloon ❌
  7. Red Shell ❌
  8. Yoshi's Egg ❌
  9. Cheep Cheep (fish) ❌
  10. Cheep Chomp (fish) ❌
  11. Blooper (fish) ❌
  12. Eep Cheep (fish) ❌

1617287472468.png

1. Mario Wallpaper ❌
  2. Mario-Water Wallpaper ❌
  3. Mushroom Mural ✅
  4. Block Flooring ✅
  5. Mario-Water Flooring ❌

Other Mario items from New Leaf that are not in New Horizons

1. Bill Blaster
    1617289088389.png
  2. Kart
    1617289144089.png
  3. Peach's Parasol
    1617289041136.png
  4. Toad Hat
    1617289059607.png
  5. Triple Bananas
    1617289165806.png
  6. Triple Red Shells
    1617289285912.png

So yeah.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oof. Damn, no wonder Animal Crossing fans constantly talk about New Horizons having way less content than New Leaf.

Maybe they'll bring the rest over eventually.
I think that maybe when the Breath of the Wild sequel comes out, they might update New Horizons to have Zelda items from New Leaf.

And when Splatoon 3 comes out, they might update New Horizons to have Splatoon items from New Leaf (and maybe Pocket Camp).

Top Bottom