• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Dan

Smash Lord
i think weve had this conversation before, ive grown tired of them. at this point it feels like they include them when they cant be bothered making new bosses. i have a similar problem with pom pom and boom boom but thats more to do with the fact that their "boss fights" are so lame
I can agree that Boom-Boom and Pom-Pom are overdone but the Koopalinigs are all unique and interesting characters. Like why aren't you tired of Bowser Jr? It's the same thing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I kinda get it. You seemingly can't have one Koopaling without all of them, so as a result that's 7 boss fights.

Personally I'd like to see them get a bit more characterization in the same way Jr does with them taking it in turns to show up in different Mario games with a focus on them as the secondary antagonist after Bowser.

Like have Ludwig, Larry and Roy team up in one game together to try and best Mario. Ludwig being the brains, Roy being the muscle and Larry being the 'white sheep' who accidentally ends up aiding Mario.

Then in another game have Morton, Lemmy, Iggy and Wendy together trying to hatch a plan that will show Bowser they're the best kids.

Then you can still stick new and unique bosses in the game without it being totally Koopaling dominated and have different games with different Koopaling combinations.

Of course Miyamoto isn't one for too much characterisation which is a shame.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would say it's worse for Rex as there is pretty much no reason to add Rex now.
Well, they could always make Rex an Echo Fighter of Shulk in the next game.

The precedent? Chrom can exist as both playable fighter (Echo Fighter of Roy) and part of Robin's Final Smash.

There's no excuse to keep Toad unplayable in Smash because of Peach's Toad when identical-looking Toads are canon in the Mario games.

I don't even know why Sakurai thought that Daisy's Toad had to be blue... is it to drive his point home that there is only one Toad with red spots and blue vest?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can agree that Boom-Boom and Pom-Pom are overdone but the Koopalinigs are all unique and interesting characters. Like why aren't you tired of Bowser Jr? It's the same thing.
no it isnt, jr's boss fights are mostly different in each game. where as the kooplings its the same every time, throw an attack turn into shell when hit

Otoad64

Smash Lord
imo the best option for implementing all of the Koopalings is to have them be mid-bosses with a different boss at the end of every world, and then the final world would have Bowser Jr. as the mid-boss and Bowser at the end.
Well, they could always make Rex an Echo Fighter of Shulk in the next game.

The precedent? Chrom can exist as both playable fighter (Echo Fighter of Roy) and part of Robin's Final Smash.

There's no excuse to keep Toad unplayable in Smash because of Peach's Toad when identical-looking Toads are canon in the Mario games.

I don't even know why Sakurai thought that Daisy's Toad had to be blue... is it to drive his point home that there is only one Toad with red spots and blue vest?
personally I feel like Robin is the exception and they ran out of time or some other thing

and even if he isn't, could Rex even work as a Shulk echo? Does Rex's sword even do the things the Manado does?

and I think the reason Daisy's Toad is blue is just to make her more distinct

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I have a question about the mainline Mario games. Are the mainline Mario games episodic/connected to each other?
Let me explain my opinion to this about some nintendo Franchises

Mario:
Episodic
Loose Canon
Timeline Linear Mario1->Mario2 and so forth

Zelda:
Episodic(most of the Time)/ Some directly connected Games
Canon: Every TLOZ Game (i do think that Triforce heroes should be Ignored completly when it comes to Story just pretend its a joke Story that ALBW link tells Zelda )
Timeline: Terrible (even the official one sucks)

Kirby:
Connected to each other (tho if you played through Kirby Super Star Ultra (asside from the Arenas) you should understand most of the Story)
Canon: Every Main line Game is Canon so is Canvas Curse!
Semi Canon: Spinoffs that tell a Story (for example Battle Royal)
Non Canon: old Gameboy spinoffs That tell the riveting story of Dedede makes evil stuff again (tho theyre probably still fun
Canon/semi canon but Kirby is out of Character: Squeak squad and this one game where Kirby threatens Waddle Dees
Timeline: Linear (although the new stuff in Kirby SSU comes after Squeak Squad

Pokemon:
Episodic/Connected (follows a new Hero/Characters each time but has some reacurring ones)
Canon: The main games (although theyre split into multlple dimensions
Timeline: Red Blue/ Ruby Sapphire/ Xy--> Gold Silver/ Diamond and Pearl -> Sun Moon -> Sword and Shield
Black and White1+2 ????? i think

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Let me explain my opinion to this about every nintendo Franchise

Mario:
Episodic
Loose Canon
Timeline Linear Mario1->Mario2 and so forth

Zelda:
Episodic(most of the Time)/ Some directly connected Games
Canon: Every TLOZ Game (i do think that Triforce heroes should be Ignored completly when it comes to Story just pretend its a joke Story that ALBW link tells Zelda )
Timeline: Terrible (even the official one sucks)

Kirby:
Connected to each other (tho if you played through Kirby Super Star Ultra (asside from the Arenas) you should understand most of the Story)
Canon: Every Main line Game is Canon so is Canvas Curse!
Semi Canon: Spinoffs that tell a Story (for example Battle Royal)
Non Canon: old Gameboy spinoffs That tell the riveting story of Dedede makes evil stuff again (tho theyre probably still fun
Canon/semi canon but Kirby is out of Character: Squeak squad and this one game where Kirby threatens Waddle Dees
Timeline: Linear (although the new stuff in Kirby SSU comes after Squeak Squad

Pokemon:
Episodic/Connected (follows a new Hero/Characters each time but has some reacurring ones)
Canon: The main games (although theyre split into multlple dimensions
Timeline: Red Blue/ Ruby Sapphire/ Xy--> Gold Silver/ Diamond and Pearl -> Sun Moon -> Sword and Shield
Black and White1+2 ????? i think
every?

Laniv

Smash Lord
So what music tracks do you think Toad/Captain Toad could come with?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Captain Toad absolutely would be Treasure Tracker...err...tracks. Smash currently has two tracks but it's missing Battle Blitz which is the biggest crime.

Classic Toad would need Wario's Woods remixes. Maybe a few Mario Party tracks too.
personally either way I think there should be 3D World tracks as there is currently only 3 iirc

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sorry about this Brigade but I somehow missed this doozy:

Toadette was apparently originally planned for 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

According to Twitter user (and Waluigi fan) Nickolox, they've been digging around 3D World's source file and found a sound clip of Toadette for when she was supposed to be selected. No model but 214 player animations were also found. Follow the twitter thread to find her voice clip:

Other Toad news:

I know not everyone likes me doing this, but I just want to draw your attention to a new Toad alt in Mario Kart Tour. This puts Toad at the most new alts for the year thus far between Cat Toad and the new Penguin Toad driver:

Penguin Toad joins Mario Kart Tour.jpg

For those wondering, his special item is the Dash Ring which allows you to set up a series of speed boosts ahead of you.

I really do think Toad wears these outfits better than the rest of the cast...largely because his body shape and simple features are just far cuter than the human cast.

I'm beginning to think I'd like to see Toad utilise the full body costumes in a Smash moveset since it's unlikely outfits like this and the Cat suit would work as simple Smash power ups...imagine trying to fit a Frog Suit onto Ridley. Disasterous.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry about this Brigade but I somehow missed this doozy:

Toadette was apparently originally planned for 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

According to Twitter user (and Waluigi fan) Nickolox, they've been digging around 3D World's source file and found a sound clip of Toadette for when she was supposed to be selected. No model but 214 player animations were also found. Follow the twitter thread to find her voice clip:

Other Toad news:

I know not everyone likes me doing this, but I just want to draw your attention to a new Toad alt in Mario Kart Tour. This puts Toad at the most new alts for the year thus far between Cat Toad and the new Penguin Toad driver:

View attachment 305044
For those wondering, his special item is the Dash Ring which allows you to set up a series of speed boosts ahead of you.

I really do think Toad wears these outfits better than the rest of the cast...largely because his body shape and simple features are just far cuter than the human cast.

I'm beginning to think I'd like to see Toad utilise the full body costumes in a Smash moveset since it's unlikely outfits like this and the Cat suit would work as simple Smash power ups...imagine trying to fit a Frog Suit onto Ridley. Disasterous.
It would have been great to play as Toadette

Penguin toad looks awesome too bad it’s in tour

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It would have been great to play as Toadette

Penguin toad looks awesome too bad it’s in tour
I'm really curious what Toadette's stats would have been honestly. Maybe she'd be an easy mode style character like in NSMBUD? But then Peach is here so Peachette feels a bit redundant...hmm...

Fingers crossed when they decide to make another Mario Kart they consider some alts like these as costume options for Mario Kart 9 rather than as individual roster picks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm really curious what Toadette's stats would have been honestly. Maybe she'd be an easy mode style character like in NSMBUD? But then Peach is here so Peachette feels a bit redundant...hmm...

Fingers crossed when they decide to make another Mario Kart they consider some alts like these as costume options for Mario Kart 9 rather than as individual roster picks.
might have just been for the cap levels

same

Dan

Smash Lord
Is Mario Kart Tour worth playing? I've seen so much about it at this point; it seems to get cool stuff console releases don't.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Is Mario Kart Tour worth playing? I've seen so much about it at this point; it seems to get cool stuff console releases don't.
it's alright. Nowhere near as good as the console versions control wise imo and is littered with microtransactions though

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If you have an addictive personality or a particular weakness to gambling I'd avoid like the plague.

Gacha games can empty your wallet, so be honest with yourself. If you feel an urge to pay, stop playing.
As fogbadge says the control system can be wonky too.

However for a phone game it's pretty good though if you can resist the urge to spend money.

Genuinely introduces some stuff I'd love to see in a proper Mario Kart such as the combo score system which gives single player Mario Kart more purpose and weekly rank which spurs you on to play more for better scores.

It also brings back custom items for each character although they tend to be items shared between characters; for example Toad has access to the triple mushrooms as does SNES Mario and Captain Toad has access to the hammer item as does Builder Mario and Hammer Bro(unsurprisingly).

Not to mention it's added some great additions too such as Captain Toad, Nabbit, Pauline, Dixie Kong, King Bob-Omb as well as adding brand new tracks including ones based around famous cities with a Mario twist such as New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Berlin, Vancouver, etc.

It'd just be better as a Mario Kart on console with solid controls without the microtransactions. Once again, if you're tempted to pay, time to not play.

I'll keep updating when new Toad skins come in regardless though, just because I like to try and be thorough with my Toad Brigade updates.

DelphoxFan97

Smash Journeyman
Hello. I'm new to this thread. I have lots of ideas for Super Mario Maker 3.

Game styles:
-Super Mario Bros. All-Stars
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (Very popular request, but would be drastically different)
-New Super Mario Bros.

Course themes:
-Beach
-Graveyard
-Mountain
-Volcano
-Space
-City
-Forest (Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Pipes (Rest of the game styles)

World themes:
-Beach
-Graveyard
-Mountain
-Pipes
-City

Items:
-Poison Mushroom
-Blue Coin
-Red Coin Ring
-Weird Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
-Hammer Suit (Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Timed Power Balloon (Super Mario World)
-Penguin Suit (New Super Mario Bros. U)
-Super Leaf (Super Mario 3D World)
-Maxim Tomato (Super Mario Bros. - Turns Mario into Kirby)
-Screw Attack (Super Mario Bros. - Turns Mario into Samus)
-Zapfish (Super Mario 3D World - Turns Mario into Inkling)

Features:
-Save courses to MicroSD card
-In Forest theme - Switch from water, to purple poison, to green poison, to none
-In Castle theme - Switch from red lava, to blue lava, to water, to none
-Water optional in several other themes, like Ground or Underground

Enemies:

-Chargin' Chuck
-Fire Snake
-Flame Chomp
-Li'l Sparky (+ Mushroom = Hot Head)
-Fuzzy
-Thwimp
-Boss Bass
-Big Boo
-Boomerang Bros.
-Fire Bros. (Rest of the game styles)
-Peepa (Rest of the game styles)

I thought Super Mario Maker 2 was wasted potential, especially since they seemed to have stopped adding new content in less than a year since launch. The Super Mario Bros. 3 game style should have a real Forest theme, while Pipes can be its own course theme for the rest of the game styles. What do you think?

Dan

Smash Lord
Hello. I'm new to this thread. I have lots of ideas for Super Mario Maker 3.

Game styles:
-Super Mario Bros. All-Stars
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (Very popular request, but would be drastically different)
-New Super Mario Bros.

Course themes:
-Beach
-Graveyard
-Mountain
-Volcano
-Space
-City
-Forest (Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Pipes (Rest of the game styles)

World themes:
-Beach
-Graveyard
-Mountain
-Pipes
-City

Items:
-Poison Mushroom
-Blue Coin
-Red Coin Ring
-Weird Mushroom (Super Mario Bros.)
-Hammer Suit (Super Mario Bros. 3)
-Timed Power Balloon (Super Mario World)
-Penguin Suit (New Super Mario Bros. U)
-Super Leaf (Super Mario 3D World)
-Maxim Tomato (Super Mario Bros. - Turns Mario into Kirby)
-Screw Attack (Super Mario Bros. - Turns Mario into Samus)
-Zapfish (Super Mario 3D World - Turns Mario into Inkling)

Features:
-Save courses to MicroSD card
-In Forest theme - Switch from water, to purple poison, to green poison, to none
-In Castle theme - Switch from red lava, to blue lava, to water, to none
-Water optional in several other themes, like Ground or Underground

Enemies:
-Chargin' Chuck
-Fire Snake
-Flame Chomp
-Li'l Sparky (+ Mushroom = Hot Head)
-Fuzzy
-Thwimp
-Boss Bass
-Big Boo
-Boomerang Bros.
-Fire Bros. (Rest of the game styles)
-Peepa (Rest of the game styles)

I thought Super Mario Maker 2 was wasted potential, especially since they seemed to have stopped adding new content in less than a year since launch. The Super Mario Bros. 3 game style should have a real Forest theme, while Pipes can be its own course theme for the rest of the game styles. What do you think?
We have a Mario Maker thread. I thought Mario Maker 2 was quite good anyway.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So I just grinded through Bowser’s Fury over the past week and it was absolutely amazing. I imagine that I’ll do another full playthrough of it within the year. It was so fun and air tight, with virtually zero fluff or filler, just the way I like it. It was nice to see the Toad Brigade featured in the postgame. Hunting for Captain Toad was one of my favorite parts of Odyssey, so I’m glad they brought that back for Bowser’s Fury.

I’ve now moved on to 3D World, which I had already played through in the past, and it’s just as great as I remember. Normally, I like to cycle through all of the different characters, but I’ve been playing Toad almost exclusively. His fast-paced playstyle is awesome, and makes replaying these levels a blast.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I just grinded through Bowser’s Fury over the past week and it was absolutely amazing. I imagine that I’ll do another full playthrough of it within the year. It was so fun and air tight, with virtually zero fluff or filler, just the way I like it. It was nice to see the Toad Brigade featured in the postgame. Hunting for Captain Toad was one of my favorite parts of Odyssey, so I’m glad they brought that back for Bowser’s Fury.

I’ve now moved on to 3D World, which I had already played through in the past, and it’s just as great as I remember. Normally, I like to cycle through all of the different characters, but I’ve been playing Toad almost exclusively. His fast-paced playstyle is awesome, and makes replaying these levels a blast.
I'm still taking my time through Bowser's Fury and juggling 3D World at the same time, but I cannot wait to get to the post game now.

I also cannot wait for the lockdown in the UK to be over though.
I really want to play 3D World with my three best friends...each of the four main characters are even our individual favourite Mario characters so it really is a perfect title for us. Some of my fondest memories were playing the Wii U original with two of them, and I cannot wait for the third friend to get to experience this for the first time.

(I'm still insisting on being the Captain in his ministages though. Player 1 will have to fight me for him)

Dan

Smash Lord
Bowser's Fury is such a great step in the right direction for the Mario franchise... I'm hoping/assuming Legends: Arceus will be the same thing for Pokémon.

I played a couple levels in 3D World but I think I'd be better off going back for 100% in Odyssey and giving it the respect it deserves.

And fogbadge fogbadge DelphoxFan97 DelphoxFan97 https://smashboards.com/threads/super-mario-maker-2-level-sharing-thread-and-discussion.483819/

We had a thread for the first game and it was wildly popular and then the second game came out, had way more stuff but couldn't gain traction for some reason.

I'm still taking my time through Bowser's Fury and juggling 3D World at the same time, but I cannot wait to get to the post game now.
The post-game in Bowser's Fury is good but not amazing or anything... it's pretty much just good cause the game in general is so great. I'm hesitant to call Bowser's Fury a masterpiece or anything cause it really just feels like a stepping stone to a truly great game in this vein... I guess it feels like Sonic World did in Sonic Jam (though I would argue Sonic World is better than Sonic Adventure in some ways) back in the '90s. It's really sad but you know we're probably not gonna get this true open world Mario game until the next Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
The post-game in Bowser's Fury is good but not amazing or anything... it's pretty much just good cause the game in general is so great. I'm hesitant to call Bowser's Fury a masterpiece or anything cause it really just feels like a stepping stone to a truly great game in this vein... I guess it feels like Sonic World did in Sonic Jam (though I would argue Sonic World is better than Sonic Adventure in some ways) back in the '90s. It's really sad but you know we're probably not gonna get this true open world Mario game until the next Nintendo console.
I don’t know about that. The lack of Mario Odyssey DLC makes an Odyssey 2 (or something along those lines) feel very likely, and I doubt we’ll have to wait all that long. I’ll be honest, as short as Bowser’s Fury is, it’s pretty impressive that they were able to pump out such an amazing game only a few years after Odyssey’s release. The Mario team is nailing it right now and I can’t help but think that something amazing is just around the corner.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
imo the character that should've been in the game the most is Yoshi. There's no Yoshi! Why?
Yoshi allegedly was planned at one point too. Here is an interview from when the game came out on Wii U:

Motokura said:
We did think about including Yoshi, but I guess you could say that in this game there are certain abilities that are similar to what Yoshi could do.
For example, there’s a piranha flower that you can carry and attack enemies with. Also, Peach has her floating jump. So we did include those elements in the game.
We also like to bring up this other dinosaur character that’s called Plessie, that all four characters can ride at the same time to go through the stage. I love Yoshi as much as anybody else, but I also love this new character. The thing that you can experience with Plessie that’s totally new is that you can ride one animal, basically, using four different characters at the same time. That’s a new experience.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m honestly grateful that we even have the five unique characters. It’s better than simply getting Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad with zero gameplay differences.

Also I’ll be honest, I’m not a huge Daisy fan, but her double jump in Super Mario Run is pretty neat.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why Daisy fans were so convinced she'd be in 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

I do get people looking for a pattern, after Tropical Freeze and NSMBU Deluxe, but Funky and Toadette were very much added to be Easy Mode options, which isn't needed in 3D World, where Peach with her slow speed and floating ability already serves the role of the Beginner character.

Don't get me wrong, I would have adored Toadette, Yoshi, Wario and/or Waluigi getting added. but Nintendo very much favors practicality over flavor. The game already has a roster of 5 distinct characters + (Captain) Toad with his own levels, which is already above the norm for Mario and Peach fills in the Beginner character niche Toadette and Funky did in recent ports.

I totally understand wanting a character, I really do, but the Daisy speculation was a long series of people grasping at straws, in hopes of finding hints for something that was never promised to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom