• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
While King Boo will always be my go to for a new Mario character.

I've recently had a sudden desire for more Toad, maybe I'll replay Captain Toad, perhaps get it on Switch.
Switch version has additional co-op, and the DLC for it adds 18 more levels at $5.99. Even with that DLC cost it's still the cheapest Wii U port around.

Can't wait for the climax of Bowser's Fury, where Captain Toad himself challenges Bowser for the fate of the Sprixie Kingdom!

...I can dream.
That reminds me that the original plan for the game was to have Green Sprixie Princess as some sort of ally to the Captain, going by the concept art here:

Anyway, any bets then Brigade?

Do we think we'll get any additional character like Toadette on top of Bowser's Fury? What about Bowser's Fury? Any thoughts on what that might be?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While King Boo will always be my go to for a new Mario character.

I've recently had a sudden desire for more Toad, maybe I'll replay Captain Toad, perhaps get it on Switch.
welcome aboard

Anyway, any bets then Brigade?

Do we think we'll get any additional character like Toadette on top of Bowser's Fury? What about Bowser's Fury? Any thoughts on what that might be?
hmm hadnt considered that. i suppose it is possible there could be a 6th character. (well 7th i suppose) though the main thing ive noticed in that teaser is all the cat themed stuff

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Regarding the trailer, is it just me or does it seem like it could be annoying having Bowser Jr. always hovering over you?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
More 3D World information revealed:

Summary:

• New Snapshot Mode. Similar to Odyssey you can now enter a photo mode in 3D World.
  • Stamps are back and are used to decorate your photos in Snapshot mode.
  • Online mode confirmed for up to four players. The save file will be based off the host on Online Play likely meaning only they'll get the progress.
  • Main game seems to be mostly the same.
  • Captain Toad stamps are found meaning he's still playable here, and he's been seen on some promotional material despite not appearing in the trailers.
  • No news of another secret character outside Rosalina...within this part of the game. There is a new one in Bowser's Fury though...

• Fury Bowser awakens every so often, changing the environment up.
  • He will fall asleep when tired and the world will return to calm.
  • Bowser Jr is available as a co-op partner in this mode for a second player.
  • Which likely means Toad, as well as Luigi, Peach and Rosalina aren't playable in this mode unfortunately and that it's upto 2 players only.
  • Plessie features heavily in this mode and can traverse sea and land.
  • You collect Cat Shines to break the seal on the Giga Bell in order for Mario to collect it and become Giga Cat Mario that we saw in yesterday's trailer.

All Amiibo are compatible but there's no info what scanning any of them do aside from the following special Amiibo:
  • Cat Mario: Grants you the invincible White Cat Mario power up. Gives you invincibility much like the White Tanooki Suit in the game...but with cat powers.
  • Cat Peach: Grants you a random power up from the game when scanned.
  • Bowser: Summons Fury Bowser early...not sure what that means.
  • Bowser Jr: Creates a shockwave that knocks out nearby enemies and blocks.

Bowser and Bowser Jr's abilities are only compatible with the Bowser's Fury part of the game, whilst Cat Mario and Cat Peach seem to be available in both parts. Bowser and Jr's amiibo usage was revealed in a seperate tweet on Twitter.

• The Cats in Bowser Fury seem to match the colours of the other playable characters with a blue, pink, green and black cat appearing referencing Toad, Peach, Luigi and Rosalina respectively. However there is one more cat within the group:

Cats.jpg

Whether this cat is a hint at another secret character we haven't been told of or is meant to represent Meowser is yet to be seen, but I think it's too much of a coincedence that the cat colours are the same as the main games making me think the others have been transformed into cats for Bowser's Fury.

• I will say though that the pink cat's fur colour is a different shade to Peach, being more in like with Toadette's bright pink Cat suit:
    120px-Cat_Toadette.png
    vs.
    87px-Cat_Princess_Peach_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png
    for example, although I think the pink is more red than either.

• The group of cats image was taken from a sticker sheet being sold alongside the game on Nintendo's website:
    Sticker sheet.jpg

It looks like a lot more enemies have been...cat-ified than before. Koopa Troopa seems to have plush fur over it's skin for example similar to Yoshi in Crafted World.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
  • The Cats in Bowser Fury seem to match the colours of the other playable characters with a blue, pink, green and black cat appearing referencing Toad, Peach, Luigi and Rosalina respectively. However there is one more cat within the group:

View attachment 299125
    Whether this cat is a hint at another secret character we haven't been told of or is meant to represent Meowser is yet to be seen, but I think it's too much of a coincedence that the cat colours are the same as the main games making me think the others have been transformed into cats for Bowser's Fury.

• I will say though that the pink cat's fur colour is a different shade to Peach, being more in like with Toadette's bright pink Cat suit:
    View attachment 299128 vs. View attachment 299129for example, although I think the pink is more red than either.
I mean the green cat is different shade then cat luigi

vs
cat luigi is slightly lighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I mean the green cat is different shade then cat luigi

vs
cat luigi is slightly lighter.
Good spot!

I actually didn't notice that and I played Luigi a lot on the Wii U version.

I'm even more curious now on these cats. The colours have to relate to the player cast still I think. The lack of a yellow cat walking around is the only reason I'm speculating that these kittens are the rest of the playable gang rather than just an adorable reference. But again, just speculation!

Staarih

Smash Master
Good spot!

I actually didn't notice that and I played Luigi a lot on the Wii U version.

I'm even more curious now on these cats. The colours have to relate to the player cast still I think. The lack of a yellow cat walking around is the only reason I'm speculating that these kittens are the rest of the playable gang rather than just an adorable reference. But again, just speculation!
I do think the cats reference the other playable characters, as only Mario is playable in Bowser's Fury and conveniently the yellow cat is missing. That one extra cat is intriguing though, however, I feel like it could represent Captain Toad. The color palette is sort of similar and he technically is a playable character as well.

Anyway, they really went all-out with SM3DW+BF information in just a few days. I really like how much effort was put in the expansion. I wonder if there's still more to learn or if this was it and it's all just promotion from here on out for the next few weeks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I do think the cats reference the other playable characters, as only Mario is playable in Bowser's Fury and conveniently the yellow cat is missing. That one extra cat is intriguing though, however, I feel like it could represent Captain Toad. The color palette is sort of similar and he technically is a playable character as well.
Actually, that reminds me! I posted a small snippet of 'Cat Captain Toad' a good few months ago but I finally stumbled across the full pic today:

CTTT_concept_art_2.jpg

Note; this is unrelated to today's reveals, but Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was being worked on around the same time as 3D World so some of the assets and art is related to the original game, but thought I'd share this today too before I forget.

I found it interesting that Captain Toad was at one point possibly wearing a blue Cat Suit despite that being the main playable Toad's outfit colour.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Summary:

• New Snapshot Mode. Similar to Odyssey you can now enter a photo mode in 3D World.
  • Online mode confirmed for up to four players. The save file will be based off the host on Online Play likely meaning only they'll get the progress.
  • Captain Toad stamps are found meaning he's still playable here, and he's been seen on some promotional material despite not appearing in the trailers.
  • No news of another secret character outside Rosalina...within this part of the game. There is a new one in Bowser's Fury though...

• Which likely means Toad, as well as Luigi, Peach and Rosalina aren't playable in this mode unfortunately and that it's upto 2 players only.
  • You collect Cat Shines to break the seal on the Giga Bell in order for Mario to collect it and become Giga Cat Mario that we saw in yesterday's trailer.

All Amiibo are compatible but there's no info what scanning any of them do aside from the following special Amiibo:
  • Cat Mario: Grants you the invincible White Cat Mario power up. Gives you invincibility much like the White Tanooki Suit in the game...but with cat powers.

Bowser and Bowser Jr's abilities are only compatible with the Bowser's Fury part of the game, whilst Cat Mario and Cat Peach seem to be available in both parts. Bowser and Jr's amiibo usage was revealed in a seperate tweet on Twitter.

View attachment 299125

View attachment 299128 vs. View attachment 299129for example, although I think the pink is more red than either.

• The group of cats image was taken from a sticker sheet being sold alongside the game on Nintendo's website:
    View attachment 299126
    It looks like a lot more enemies have been...cat-ified than before. Koopa Troopa seems to have plush fur over it's skin for example similar to Yoshi in Crafted World.
its all looking so good, even though it may be the equivalent to one odyssey kingdom

Actually, that reminds me! I posted a small snippet of 'Cat Captain Toad' a good few months ago but I finally stumbled across the full pic today:

View attachment 299134

Note; this is unrelated to today's reveals, but Captain Toad Treasure Tracker was being worked on around the same time as 3D World so some of the assets and art is related to the original game, but thought I'd share this today too before I forget.

I found it interesting that Captain Toad was at one point possibly wearing a blue Cat Suit despite that being the main playable Toad's outfit colour.
i was gonna ask if we had posted that before

Dan

Smash Lord

Summary:

View attachment 299125

View attachment 299126
The online is a pleasant surprise. Do you think Bowser's Fury will be online?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
just made a concept for a captain toad sequel!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Summary:

View attachment 299125

View attachment 299126
Quite a shame that Bowser's Fury seems Mario-only mode - I kinda wanted to tackle the mode with other characters with how awesome the mode looked like. Kinda seems to feel contrasted with how 3D World really reveled on the fact that it had no NSMB-esque setups of Mario Bros and Toads, but instead brought in Peach and Toad in his SMB2-colors.

Giga Cat Peach smacking the rage out of Bowser is gonna be a sorely missed opportunity not for just for me, but Bowser Jr, I bet. :p

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Quite a shame that Bowser's Fury seems Mario-only mode - I kinda wanted to tackle the mode with other characters with how awesome the mode looked like. Kinda seems to feel contrasted with how 3D World really reveled on the fact that it had no NSMB-esque setups of Mario Bros and Toads, but instead brought in Peach and Toad in his SMB2-colors.
i imagine many of us would have loved giga cat toad but alas

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Another update on Bowser's Fury regarding Amiibo support:

Whilst all amiibo are compatible there's a split.

All Super Mario line, Yarn Yoshi, 30th Anniversary line and Mario-verse Smash amiibo(including DK, Diddy, Wario and Yoshi) when scanned will give you a Super Star that increases your running speed and makes you invincible for a period. This effect works in both 3D World and Bowser's Fury.

All other 'non Mario related amiibo' will give you a 1-up mushroom when scanned in the main game, and a regular mushroom in Bowser's Fury.

Note: No word on K.Rool or Poochy amiibo being classified within the Mario-verse amiibos or not.

The online is a pleasant surprise. Do you think Bowser's Fury will be online?
As far as I can tell at current it seems to be an offline mode unfortunately. If I find out otherwise I'll add it here though!

just made a concept for a captain toad sequel!

This is really good. You guys should check this out!

Maybe we should all spitball some ideas as a Brigade for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2 in the future as a little creative topic...

Giga Cat Peach smacking the rage out of Bowser is gonna be a sorely missed opportunity not for just for me, but Bowser Jr, I bet. :p
I've been scouring different platforms regarding 3D World + Bowser's Fury and it seems this is one of the biggest complaints about the mode.

Seems like everyone wanted the chance to slap Fury Bowser with Giga Toad, Peach, Luigi and Rosalina!

Edit: And as I finished this post yet MORE Bowser Fury news!

AAR3XyAABXIR.jpg

Looks like there might be more to it than just the one island...

SECOND EDIT:
Big news for Captain Toad fans. I just stumbled across this:

IMG_20210114_115254.jpg

*Additional games, systems and/or accessories may be required for multiplayer mode.

Apparently the Captain Toad levels are now multiplayer compatible???

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
SECOND EDIT:
Big news for Captain Toad fans. I just stumbled across this:

View attachment 299250
*Additional games, systems and/or accessories may be required for multiplayer mode.

Apparently the Captain Toad levels are now multiplayer compatible???
really? yes! of course the question is, is it other brigade memebers, and if so who, or just cap pallet swaps?

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm not even sure I'll use the amiibos... I really only buy them cause I like figures.

Dan

Smash Lord
Plus some of them like Cat Mario are borderline game-breaking.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
really? yes! of course the question is, is it other brigade memebers, and if so who, or just cap pallet swaps?
If it's the brigade members Toadette seems like she'd be the no brainer, but the brigade has always had 5-6 members. Maybe Toadette, Hint Toad(blue) and Bank Toad(Green) since Yellow is probably still asleep and Mail Toad(purple) was missing from Treasure Tracker.

Of course it could just be three simple recolours of Captain Toad similar to Treasure Tracker's co-op partner, the poison mushroom style Captain Toad.

I'm not even sure I'll use the amiibos... I really only buy them cause I like figures.
Plus some of them like Cat Mario are borderline game-breaking.
This is fair. In fact I'd say they're all pretty game breaking. I'll likely use them occasionally but I can't see me using them as a crutch. The game's already pretty easy until the secret worlds after all!

Top Bottom