• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Dan

Smash Lord
I've never got why anybody thinks he looks cool. He's a little naked wooden man with big ears, curly ribbon for hair and he wears an elf cape. I'm not sure what part of that makes is supposed to make him look cool.

But let's not turn this into the Geno thread Mark 2 (or is it 3?) That was closed and we're here to talk about Toad.

... I'm trying to figure out how we can work "I'm sorry but the Princess is in another castle" into Smash and not coming up with anything. A taunt maybe?
Well I'm a huge fan of Rankin/Bass, the Muppets, Disney, etc. so I guess that kinda explains it for me. I just love the entire outdated CGI weirdness of the game... it looks like a beta in some ways.

And I think the conversation comparing Geno and Toad was totally fine... we should be allowed to talk about other characters here if it pertains.

He could say that to Mario or Luigi as a special victory screen?
I think that much dialogue coming from him would be weird.

The only way of shoehorning that in would be as text in his trailer and it would just feel weird and forced. I think it would be hard to get that line in the game.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
... I'm trying to figure out how we can work "I'm sorry but the Princess is in another castle" into Smash and not coming up with anything. A taunt maybe?
I have an idea for a reveal trailer:

Smash logo separates to reveal Peach's castle in a lightning storm. Bowser's laugh is heard as his airship appears flying towards it followed by Jr and the Koopalings airships.

His ship lands, as we see the Koopa King's foot stomp down on some flowers, and his devil like shadow creeps across the castles door.

Reverse cut to inside the castle, looking at the door as it's smashed down. Bowser and his kids stand there menacingly, lightning illuminating them as he laughs maniacally and stomps inside.

Cut to zoomed out shot of Bowser looking confused as a single Toad stands in the hallway.

"I'm sorry, but the Princess is in another castle" text appears above his head. Bowser sheepishly looks confused as he looks around.

Shoulder up shot of Bowser as he looks around, confused. He suddenly stops. Slow pan out to see Toad has him by the tail and proceeds to start start spinning him.

"Toad Guards Himself!"

Smash cut to in game footage of Toad throwing Bowser away, and beating the tar out of the Koopalings and Jr. Toadette alt is shown during this time.
Toad's Final Smash sends Bowser flying into the distance and the Smash logo plays.

Cut back to CGI with Toad dusting his hands off as he finishes fixing the door. Peach opens a door within the castle behind him to see what all the noise was. Toad waves to her happily. She looks confused, shrugs it off, waves back gingerly and goes back in to her room.

The front door opens again and Mario appears walking forward. Toad's eyes glint as he says the line once more.
Fade out.

funny story my mum has been playing treasure tracker
How's she enjoying it? Which version?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Make this a taunt, yes.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
GameXplain just released a video on Super Nintendo World which shows collections of tiny Pikmin scattered around the park. A guest was allowed in to take numerous pictures and they discovered at least two sets of the little guys.

But alongside the Pikmin, another familiar face was also spotted at the park:

At-Nintendo-World.png

Appears to be on the Yoshi Ride. I've cropped the pic for space reasons but the red in the corner is from the 'shell saddle' of a green Yoshi.

Side note, I have a new avatar for the new year it seems. Can't get much more "YoshiandToad" than this pic.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
GameXplain just released a video on Super Nintendo World which shows collections of tiny Pikmin scattered around the park. A guest was allowed in to take numerous pictures and they discovered at least two sets of the little guys.

View attachment 297749

Appears to be on the Yoshi Ride. I've cropped the pic for space reasons but the red in the corner is from the 'shell saddle' of a green Yoshi.

Side note, I have a new avatar for the new year it seems. Can't get much more "YoshiandToad" than this pic.
if ever go to that park im stealing that

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Plus Toad isn't as big of a name as Geno in the Smash speculation scene.
I do find it hypocritical that the same crowd that complains about "bias" is constantly coming up with all sorts of excuses to justify their bias against Toad. "tOaD iS oNlY uSeFuL aS pEaCh'S sErVaNt" is particularly aggravating to me, that kind of logic could just as easily be used to justify relegating certain other "partner archetype" characters to literal afterthoughts.

Dan

Smash Lord
I do find it hypocritical that the same crowd that complains about "bias" is constantly coming up with all sorts of excuses to justify their bias against Toad. "tOaD iS oNlY uSeFuL aS pEaCh'S sErVaNt" is particularly aggravating to me, that kind of logic could just as easily be used to justify relegating certain other "partner archetype" characters to literal afterthoughts.
Are you saying that Geno fans say this?

Staarih

Smash Master

View attachment 297749

There's some video footage of the ride, I love how the Captain Toad part has its own music as well (around 2:40 mark):

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's some video footage of the ride, I love how the Captain Toad part has its own music as well (around 2:40 mark):
That's a pretty hefty section of the ride with that music playing.

Seems like Nintendo doesn't have any intention of retiring the Captain for quite some time at least!

Apparently he's saying something along the lines of "Thanks to you, I was able to find the Golden Egg!"
Captain Toad 2: Egg Napper.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's a pretty hefty section of the ride with that music playing.

Seems like Nintendo doesn't have any intention of retiring the Captain for quite some time at least!

Apparently he's saying something along the lines of "Thanks to you, I was able to find the Golden Egg!"
Captain Toad 2: Egg Napper.
captain toad on yoshi's island?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Captain Toad speaking full lines that isn't from Vinesauce-centric memetic voicelines? Bagons must be flying.

Anyway... something that has me come back lately on Captain Toad. Why can't Toad be allowed on the mural, yet we see Taunt-only characters like Slime, or Morgana?

Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I definitely am kinda perplexed and even disappointed about this sometimes as I'm heavily leaning on (Captain) Toad not being part of the roster right to the end of FP2. If so, why don't let him be in the mural especially with how more active role he plays on a character's moveset over aforementioned characters?

I really wanna say "Unless...", but I think we should give that time towards the next Fighter Pass DLC reveal, now that Geno's been taken out of the picture.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad speaking full lines that isn't from Vinesauce-centric memetic voicelines? Bagons must be flying.

Anyway... something that has me come back lately on Captain Toad. Why can't Toad be allowed on the mural, yet we see Taunt-only characters like Slime, or Morgana?

Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I definitely am kinda perplexed and even disappointed about this sometimes as I'm heavily leaning on (Captain) Toad not being part of the roster right to the end of FP2. If so, why don't let him be in the mural especially with how more active role he plays on a character's moveset over aforementioned characters?

I really wanna say "Unless...", but I think we should give that time towards the next Fighter Pass DLC reveal, now that Geno's been taken out of the picture.
Funnily enough I believe I saw on GameFAQS that someone also brought up the lack of Toad in the mural when the discussion of Pikmin, Luma, Morgana and Slime came up. Obviously some of those are different cases, but it was mentioned that Toad missing despite being in two movesets was a strange choice and that surely he warrants an appearance more than at least the two third party allies.

Perhaps crazybenjamin crazybenjamin can remember this as he's a GameFAQ regular who tends to be involved in Toad discussions?

Not that I think Toad is actually going to make the roster in Fighters Pass 2's DLC but...ya know...

Mario's 35th anniversary and he's the only real missing character, a definite playable role in the upcoming 3D World port, rumours about a Captain Toad sequel and him being the only character from the new park's Power Bands which have been stated to work like Amiibo not currently in Smash...

If I was a more optimistic individual I'd say there's a lot of stuff actually going for him...

...buuuut...I'm a Toad fan, and I've seen... (checks Smashboards join date) holy crap... 19 years of this 'has a lot going for him' kind of evidence at this point. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
...buuuut...I'm a Toad fan, and I've seen... (checks Smashboards join date) holy crap... 19 years of this 'has a lot going for him' kind of evidence at this point. :p
You're not alone on that, I'll assure you... I wanna just use that as a fine reasoning for making Sakurai just spill the beans and tell us he doesn't see Toad as a playable character in any feasibly interesting form (perhaps since Melee) - and maybe also getting these mandates from Nintendo lately to not push for him either on such status.

That would let us fans move on without feeling dragged down the mud like plenty of other supporter fanbases have been out there to this point, especially Geno. Compare to say, Tingle's fan support - which understandably walked away without less uproar after the word from Sakurai that Tingle was just too hated by Western-base to be considered on the roster.

Though again, I might just assume this to be the case anyhow, after FP2 finishes. :025:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You're not alone on that, I'll assure you... I wanna just use that as a fine reasoning for making Sakurai just spill the beans and tell us he doesn't see Toad as a playable character in any feasibly interesting form (perhaps since Melee) - and maybe also getting these mandates from Nintendo lately to not push for him either on such status.

That would let us fans move on without feeling dragged down the mud like plenty of other supporter fanbases out there - kinda like Tingle's fans that understandably left after the claims that he was just too hated by Western-base to be considered on the roster.

Though again, I might just assume this to be the case anyhow, after FP2 finishes. :025:
sometimes i think it would be better that way

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Funnily enough I believe I saw on GameFAQS that someone also brought up the lack of Toad in the mural when the discussion of Pikmin, Luma, Morgana and Slime came up. Obviously some of those are different cases, but it was mentioned that Toad missing despite being in two movesets was a strange choice and that surely he warrants an appearance more than at least the two third party allies.

Perhaps crazybenjamin can remember this as he's a GameFAQ regular who tends to be involved in Toad discussions?
I don't really remember seeing this topic come up. Though now that I'm thinking about it, it probably just means the team forgot about him

I wanna just use that as a fine reasoning for making Sakurai just spill the beans and tell us he doesn't see Toad as a playable character in any feasibly interesting form (perhaps since Melee) - and maybe also getting these mandates from Nintendo lately to not push for him either on such status.
Yeah, I'm not pleased with the lack of transparency around Toad's situation. Sure, "Ridley is too big" was a questionable excuse, but it was something

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have an idea for a reveal trailer:
I have one too!

Smash trailer opens to Super Mario Bros. (the NES game) with Mario running and jumping through Bowser's Castle (World 1-4) and Mario drops Bowser into the lava pit and Mario meets Toad.

Toad says "Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!" Mario hands Toad the Smash invitation letter. Toad jumps and says "Whoo-hoo! It's about time! Let's go!" Splash screen reads "Toad readies to Smash!"

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mario's 35th anniversary and he's the only real missing character, a definite playable role in the upcoming 3D World port, rumours about a Captain Toad sequel and him being the only character from the new park's Power Bands which have been stated to work like Amiibo not currently in Smash...
Watch it be Waluigi or Geno or Paper Mario or another generic Mario enemy or nothing.

I wish Nintendo ordered Sakurai to stop uninviting Toad from Smash and give him the Smash invitation letter so Toad can finally get in Smash.

Both Toad and Captain Toad need to get in Smash... one is the default and the other is an alt.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Watch it be Waluigi or Geno or Paper Mario or another generic Mario enemy or nothing.

I wish Nintendo ordered Sakurai to stop uninviting Toad from Smash and give him the Smash invitation letter so Toad can finally get in Smash.

Both Toad and Captain Toad need to get in Smash... one is the default and the other is an alt.
Yeah, I can see Paper Mario getting in over either Toad since it's Mario's 35th (even though it's not the character's actual 35th, Mario existed before Super Mario Bros.). But he's the only one in my eyes.
I think Waluigi and Geno are done for Ultimate with the Assist Trophy and Season 2 Mii outfit. Geno especially seems like a weird one to release in this pass if you included a Mii outfit of him prior. I don't buy it myself. Too weird.
I don't think Sakurai's going to pull the 'generic enemy' card twice for DLC myself. Somehow I can't see it being as impactful as Plant's initial surprise.

I'm down for any combination of Toad fighters though...

...unless it's Toadette as the prime fighter and only Toadette so they can use Peachette in the moveset. I think that would just bug me immensely, like sticking Luigi in before Mario, Daisy before Peach, Waluigi before Wario or Diddy before DK.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
If Sakurai is willing to change Cloud’s Final Smash just for Cloud’s Advent Children alts... then why can’t he change Peach’s Toad to Toadsworth so Toad can finally join Smash?
I mean toadsworth never struck me as someone with... anysort of combat capabilities, here's an idea, they could just change the vest on peach's toad to red! Denoting that it is not "The Toad" it's just "a Toad"

Reactions: Dan

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Seeing how some characters who seem to lack any combat capabilities got in Smash, this argument makes me cringe. :ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:
Maybe I should rephraise that, those characters don't fight, but atleast seem semic capable of doing so, if toadsworth were to do half the things toad does in peach's moveset i feel like he'd break his back,

and yeah, that's a pretty dumb arguement aswell but it'd just feel.. wrong, for him to fight, at least doing the moves toad does, it would just feel like a mod or something, I just have a hard time imagining him over toad is all

Reactions: Dan

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean toadsworth never struck me as someone with... anysort of combat capabilities, here's an idea, they could just change the vest on peach's toad to red! Denoting that it is not "The Toad" it's just "a Toad"
well toad sprays spores not something he does regularly so it may not matter

maybe a better thing would be to have peach have a number of different coloured toads like roalina's luma

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well toad sprays spores not something he does regularly so it may not matter

maybe a better thing would be to have peach have a number of different coloured toads like roalina's luma
Sakurai really should have given Peach the umbrella from Super Princess Peach back in Brawl.

That umbrella (Perry) could have worked as a shield like Toad... and it is multipurpose too. You could use it as a parachute (Up B) and charge at enemies (Side B, loosely based on Chargebrella) like Peach Bomber.

E90A4535-2E6C-4937-8FFD-EEE1B2DD2E2F.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai really should have given Peach the umbrella from Super Princess Peach back in Brawl.

That umbrella (Perry) could have worked as a shield like Toad... and it is multipurpose too. You could use it as a parachute (Up B) and charge at enemies (Side B, loosely based on Chargebrella) like Peach Bomber.

View attachment 297964
yeah I remember hoping for a super princess peach moveset

Dan

Smash Lord
I would actually say Captain Toad is still the most likely out of all those characters, followed by Paper Mario, Waluigi and Geno respectively. I think Geno's days are through considering Piranha Plant and the fact he wasn't even a deluxe. I think the statute of limitations on the Sakurai quote is up by now as well, in that it's been so long and he's had so many chances to include him that it's meaningless by now.

He could pull some random moveset out of thin air for Waluigi since he's actually a relevant character, but I'd say Paper Mario is definitely more likely.

Edit: Geno only gets in if they do another ballot.

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
...unless it's Toadette as the prime fighter and only Toadette so they can use Peachette in the moveset. I think that would just bug me immensely, like sticking Luigi in before Mario, Daisy before Peach, Waluigi before Wario or Diddy before DK.
I'd interpret that kind of thing as them deliberately taunting me

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm down for any combination of Toad fighters though...

I'd interpret that kind of thing as them deliberately taunting me
While I understand the cynicism here, realistically speaking, this all would depend on how they'd go realizing Toadette's "Peachette"-gimmick to justify her that much as DLC over Toad - or even other Mario-reps. I highly doubt it happening even with our cases of some characters they could work out of nothing before.

I do remember some cases where Toadette had slowly become more marketable by Nintendo last years, but I hardly would imagine her being able to upstage (Captain) Toad via Super Crown/Peachette because Nintendo found her enough marketable further on like that - with second stage being Sakurai hopping on board due liking "X-sette"-memes during his past-time and working out something he particular found genius to do with the Peachette-gimmick (Otherwise it'd be the sorta less severe but also kinda meh-experience working on Toadette like he'd been implied to have developing Steve.).

On that end, I wouldn't see Toadette received exactly too well in this way either after the last big-hitting DLC picks, with plenty of internet outcry deeming her being turned into a character outright to appease to the "memer/"waifu-nutter"-crowd. Might better just do Captain Toadette instead for less... "divisive" reception and longetivity. :100:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While I understand the cynicism here, realistically speaking, this all would depend on how they'd go realizing Toadette's "Peachette"-gimmick to justify her that much as DLC over Toad - or even other Mario-reps. I highly doubt it happening even with our cases of some characters they could work out of nothing before.

I do remember some cases where Toadette had slowly become more marketable by Nintendo last years, but I hardly would imagine her being able to upstage (Captain) Toad via Super Crown/Peachette because Nintendo found her enough marketable further on like that - with second stage being Sakurai hopping on board due liking "X-sette"-memes during his past-time and working out something he particular found genius to do with the Peachette-gimmick (Otherwise it'd be the sorta less severe but also kinda meh-experience working on Toadette like he'd been implied to have developing Steve.).

On that end, I wouldn't see Toadette received exactly too well in this way either after the last big-hitting DLC picks, with plenty of internet outcry deeming her being turned into a character outright to appease to the "memer/"waifu-nutter"-crowd. Might better just do Captain Toadette instead for less... "divisive" reception and longetivity. :100:
i think half the internet said steve was for the memes. i know thats what they said about the sans costume.

mind you i dont think sakurai feels the need to justify the choices to often

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Small update on 3D World + Bowser's Fury:
The previous 5GB file size seemed to be a place holder. The final file size is 2.9GB. For reference the Wii U version was 1.7GB, so that's still a fairly sizable chunk albeit far more reasonable size upgrade. Bowser's Fury might still be a decent size even after any graphical updates they choose to do.

i think half the internet said steve was for the memes. i know thats what they said about the sans costume.

mind you i dont think sakurai feels the need to justify the choices to often
I think even the most staunch Minecraft hater knows deep in their heart it's because Minecraft is a 200 million copy seller and highly influential video game that more than likely* eclipses whatever game series their MW comes from.
Literally only Mario, Pokemon, GTA, Tetris, Call of Duty, FIFA, Lego, GTA, The Wii series and The Sims are bigger franchises than Minecraft.

I think the only time Toadette has appeared without Toad in a playable context is Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics as a guest character exclusively in the hurdles event (which now I think about is a really poor choice for a character with no legs and a species known for their poor jumping ability).

Arguably Toad and his kin are playable in the retro olympics as team mates for Volleyball however.

Toad himself whilst not playable in the 2020 game also debuted as a playable character before Toadette within the series thanks to him appearing in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Like Toadette he was only a guest playable character in the 4x100m Relay.

So overall I think you're right.
As marketable as Toadette is these days she's still seen as slightly behind the 'core cast' within Mario including Toad himself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think even the most staunch Minecraft hater knows deep in their heart it's because Minecraft is a 200 million copy seller and highly influential video game that more than likely* eclipses whatever game series their MW comes from.
Literally only Mario, Pokemon, GTA, Tetris, Call of Duty, FIFA, Lego, GTA, The Wii series and The Sims are bigger franchises than Minecraft.
and weve got about a 3rd of those in smash. btw youve got GTA twice.

when you think about it toadette is the half way point between toad and cap. i mean she can do just about everything they can

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I kinda want to see The Sims in Smash. The alts could be eight different Sims (probably the most popular and iconic four female Sims and four male Sims). Tetris could be interesting as a playable fighter.

Back to Toad... if the next DLC fighter is announced on March, the end of Mario 35th Anniversary and, I guess, the one-month anniversary of Super Nintendo World opening... part of me hopes Toad / Captain Toad gets in Smash... but another part of me expects disappointment.

Top Bottom